Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the pinging of phones....Can the police do that or does the phone carrier have to do it ? Do they make contact with the phone or make contact with the cell tower ?

My understanding of it (verizon guys pls help if wrong! Is that they use like three towers in an area and trianglate the info and can get a reasonble location

Verizon guys/ gals??

I realize that it's been 10 years ago, but does anyone remember how CPD handled the Brian Shaffer case? Did they ever release any info to the public regarding his cell phone pings or video surveillance and if so how long after he went missing did they release that info?

I remember there were many community searches for Brian and people were putting up flyers for years after his disappearance.

IIRC, there was also a retired Columbus detective who worked closely with Brian's family for many years investigating any new leads in his case.

CPD weren't able to ping Brian's phone bc at the time his phone didn't have gps capabilities. I recently listened to a 2 part podcast from "True Crime Garage" regarding the Brian Shaffer case with evidence I'd never heard of before. This podcast was just done within the last 6 months. It's definitely worth listening to if you followed that case. Just google True Crime Garage Brian Shaffer.

<snip> Dark hair, in shape, age range but there was something very similar about a lot of their smiles/teeth
<snip>
BBM
To a European most Americans have almost identical smiles/teeth, like you all been to the same dentist.

Hoping that the police have leads that prove fruitful and that the family can bear this.

CPD weren't able to ping Brian's phone bc at the time his phone didn't have gps capabilities. I recently listened to a 2 part podcast from "True Crime Garage" regarding the Brian Shaffer case with evidence I'd never heard of before. This podcast was just done within the last 6 months. It's definitely worth listening to if you followed that case. Just google True Crime Garage Brian Shaffer.

Thank you. I will look up the True Crime Garage podcast on Brian Shaffer.

BBM
To a European most Americans have almost identical smiles/teeth, like you all been to the same dentist.

Thats funny!!We do- Dr Tirllionaire!

CPD weren't able to ping Brian's

now days does evry cell have it?

I think every phone can be pinged- it has to unless you are walking around with a phone for fun that isnt actively in service. The difference is that pinging wont be an exact spot, but a gps location would be. THAT feature may have been off (gps locator), but the pinging can happen. If the police are telling anyone it is unable to be pinged, a PI is needed ASAP!!!!!! And that is true about police not being able to tell someone not to do something within their own rights to find a family member. We, as people, are generally compliant and people pleasers. I have a feeling the family is going to have to start getting vocal and be willing to rock the boat a little real soon in order to get answers. Its been too long!

That article sounds like everyone is sitting around with their hands in their laps saying 'Oh well, we tried.' Appears that CPD has nothing, the family has nothing, media has nothing, and Short North is now full of flyers. Hugs, prayers and flyers don't find missing people. Too bad the only people who realize this are the ones wanting to help. Add this case to the Unsolved Missing Persons file. If the main characters aren't willing to get involved in this case then it's going nowhere.

Does anyone else find it odd that CPD is still actively searching for surveillance footage weeks after his disappearance? Most DVR systems, depending on the amount of camera and hard drive capabilities will store taped footage for a week maximum. At what point is someone going to be done waiting and finally hire a professional PI to do their job and what they are experts in doing? We're going on almost a month now, this is ridiculous. Why haven't CPD released surveillance from Union that night if they claim it didn't yield any clues? I know several media outlets have requested that footage be released and yet it hasn't. Why?

Yet another day goes by.... and nothing new..no updates.
Not sure how many people feel about this. But, I would be interested in having a crime psychic introduced to this case. With no new leads or news, it is becoming quite concerning if Joey will ever be solved. Anyone know if these "psychics" have ever proven to be helpful or beneficial in any missing persons cases? It's just a thought....maybe it would give us some other avenues to explore..

Also, I wish the Scioto River would be searched more extensively. There should be a dive team out there!!! Joey HAS to be somewhere- he could be anywhere or he could be RIGHT underneath our noses.

RBBM: In my experience, no.

Question about the date that Joey was on earlier that same day (good night cutie, and then Joey responds back with Byeeee)

Was that guy there at Union at the same time Joey was ? If yes they were, did they go to Union together ? -or- did they just happen to come across each other ? Where, and at what time, did they go their separate ways ?

The date definitely was not there when Joey got up from the table to go to the bar and disappeared. I don't know if the date was ever at Union with Joey and the others. I don't think it's been publicly released when they went their separate ways that night.

Regarding CPD still asking for surveillance tapes this long after the disappearance...that is borderline incompetence if true. Hopefully that meant they have broadened the radius beyond Short North to include other businesses?

Honestly, I'm grateful to the Dispatch for finally doing a follow up article, but it ultimately leaves more questions than answers. It sounds like CPD is absolutely nowhere on the investigation and this case is quickly running cold. Absolutely insane.

BBM

I agree, Americans want pretty, white, straight teeth, and those that can afford it go to the orthodontist in their teen years to achieve that. But you're right, having teeth corrected makes it a little harder to recognize people either living or dead. Teeth are such a signature - and if they are perfectly straightened, it's harder to recognize them.

I've often been really frustrated in websites of "found" deceased people that they don't either photograph or draw the teeth. Because front teeth are a really good way to ID someone.

Thank you. I will look up the True Crime Garage podcast on Brian Shaffer.

Just watched this have podcast on now. It is strange case

[video=youtube;Fz50sB89uG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz50sB89uG8[/video]

Does anyone else find it odd that CPD is still actively searching for surveillance footage weeks after his disappearance? Most DVR systems, depending on the amount of camera and hard drive capabilities will store taped footage for a week maximum. At what point is someone going to be done waiting and finally hire a professional PI to do their job and what they are experts in doing? We're going on almost a month now, this is ridiculous. Why haven't CPD released surveillance from Union that night if they claim it didn't yield any clues? I know several media outlets have requested that footage be released and yet it hasn't. Why?

This case is just so frustrating to me on so many levels... It's like several people here are clearly just trying to help, but those close to the case are just turning us down every step of the way- why? I've noticed a few of my comments have been deleted, but to me I don't think I've violated any of the "terms".

Personally, I don't think the update was much of anything- there are more unanswered questions with the new update than there were before IMO. It sounds like someone was just worried the was going to get turned in so hurry and say something.

I fear the case is going cold. It takes more than FB to make the public aware of a missing person....handing out some flyers every few days is a good thought- but what is it really doing? The area doesn't seem to have been expanded further than the immediate short north, and everyone down that way has been seeing Joey's picture for weeks now.

And I just think the whole idea that LE has surveillance on someone in particular to be too far fetched. They've kept the public in the dark as far as other missing persons cases In the area that have yet to be solved. While I'm sure they know more than they're saying I highly doubt that they are any closer to solving this case than the rest of us are....

It really seems like those close to the case are treating us with hostility- which I hope isn't the case, but it really turns me off on wanting to help in any way- I feel like I'd just be doing something wrong and end up getting a bunch of negativity from just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe