GUILTY OH - Johnny Clarke, 21, & Lisa Straub, 20, murdered, Springfield Twp, 31 Jan 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I too thought this crime would have been solved quickly. After all I've read here over the past couple of years, I would have expected this to be one of the easier crimes to solve because it just seemed that the perps had to be connected to these two in some way. And I expected very telling cell phone records. I guess I was way off base. This is so frustrating.

How frustrating and sad..no new news..no new leads??..Someone is getting away with murder..and my gut instincts still haven't changed and IMO this was far from the perfect crime..If there are indeed FBI still on this case it's only a matter of time til the truth comes to light..

No way in he!! is Lisa connected with gangs and if I was her parent I would be outraged at the not only insinuation of her affiliated with gangs but outright stated that she was...aarggh!!!!!!!!!

Johnny's mother frustrates me. Her kid wasn't an angel. I understand why she defends him, but come on. No one knows 100% what their kid is doing. I feel like she's done more harm than good for the case. I can't imagine what I would do in her situation, but I really think her mouth has gotten ahead of her, and stifled progress. From her interviews, her internet postings, the facebook pages... I can't begin to imagine her frustration and pain, but isn't there a line?

Toxicology information from the Toledo Blade Newspaper can be located here.

"Johnny Clarke had either Percocet or Oxycontin and marijuana in his system. Lisa Straub had either Percocet or Oxycontin and Vicodin in her system."

That sounds like they were partying it up to me. I find it highly unlikely that both had prescriptions for the medications.

This gives us new insight too! I sincerely doubt Lisa popped pills right when see was picked up from work, or while she was changing at home. They were ingested "a few hours" before they died. This means they were alive for some time before they were killed.

This all points to the fact that they died after the "friend" came to check on them, and rang the doorbell. The "friend" didn't notice any cars in the driveway or on the street. The killer/killers were inside, their car would have been outside. The "friend" is clearly lying.

The friend's story and alibi hinges on the thought that the victims were killed early in the evening, prior to her checking on the house. Every piece of evidence runs completely against that. She know something and is covering up the crime.

Thanks for the link, Stolly. I think about this case a lot and I'm still surprised it hadn't been solved. I'm not surprised they had prescription medications in their systems either. Mrs. Vasquez denies that they used rx drugs for purposes other than what they were prescribed but I have a feeling she is either naive or covering up for her son. Prescription drugs are highly abused, especially by young adults and kids. I think she tries to paint a more innocent picture of her son than what reality would show.

This gives us new insight too! I sincerely doubt Lisa popped pills right when see was picked up from work, or while she was changing at home. They were ingested "a few hours" before they died. This means they were alive for some time before they were killed.

Every piece of evidence runs completely against that. She know something and is covering up the crime.

Those addicted to opiates like the calming factor, and yes they will pop them at various times to stay calm, not just to "get high".

I question whether the 'friend' was involved simply because the friend is not that bright, yet whomever killed these two apparently had their game down. If they haven't been caught by now they likely won't be. This was a well planned crime and apparently the planning paid off. No physical evidence has been disclosed so without a snitch this case will go cold.

Plus if someone decides to snitch (assuming there is a loose end) they may go cold too! Whomever did this knew what they are doing and they would not be the type of folks one would sell out in a minor plea bargain deal.

This is an interesting development. Guess we'll sit back and see if anything comes of it.

JMHO
fran

PS>...can't say I blame them. IF they feel LE is dropping the ball and they have the money, it was their child. So G*d speed to them....fran

The sheriff has since released a statement: "The motive is unknown, but investigators do not believe this was a -- "'professional hit.'" [/B]

Seems to me a "professional hit" can be ruled out but the killers might still be professional, as in they weren't hired by someone else to kill the couple, however killing folks is a natural part of their work on some occasions.

When the story first broke my impression was these killers were slick, and if evidence or an informant didn't come through soon it would go unsolved.

It just looks so well thought out, it is possible there are "loose ends" and others know who did this (and can prove it) but unless the killers are a whole lot nuttier and more careless than they appear I think it will go cold.

Lisa's uncles comment in the article posted by Radiator is interesting to me.

"We know this was an inner-circle job" Sounds to me like they have some thoughts on who the perps might be or an idea on the reason behind the killings.

I think there's definately more to this story than we know.

I still have a lot of hope for this case. I think it will get solved in time. Someone will roll on someone to get a lesser sentence. Or hell hath no fury like a jilted lover, as soon as a couple breaks up, someone will come clean. It is just a matter of time before karma comes back to the killer(s). Someone out there is bragging, and people are listening.

It is now 6 months since murders, the families held a vigil.
Short article and video clip.
Mother recites prayer to catch killers and a clip of Johnny's grave.

"A combined $25,000 reward is being offered that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who killed the young couple."

http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/local/Straub--Clarke-murder-unsolved-6-months

Another article interviews detective on the case:

Written in black marker on lined notebook paper, No. 1 reads, "Who knew mom/dad were out of town?" No. 4: "Brought tape with them!"

"We have more than 100 items in evidence," said Detective Phil Williams.
Also interviews with family, not doing well after the murders.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...from-slayings-of-pair-in-Springfield-Twp.html

Another article with good video footage from vigil, also interview with Johnny's friend who was with him that night before the murders.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=8281546

Wow, Johnny's mom really needs to seek professional help. I have never lost a child before so I can't pretend to know her pain. But, this has consumed her whole life, and her husband and other children are suffering for it.

Why on earth hasn't this been solved yet? Not blaming anybody, just in shock. Of all the crimes to not be solved, I didn't think this would be one (maybe I said that wrong - it's late, but you all know what I mean). Many cases are solved without even having the bodies present! Of course many aren't, too, but a murder inside a house in a neighborhood, not out in the middle of nowhere, where there's bound to be some sort of transfer evidence left behind and NOTHING? I just can't believe it. Again, nobody's fault necessarily that it hasn't been solved, but both the crime and how long this has taken are such tragedies. So much so that I find myself following missing persons cases daily, but this one gets pushed to the back of my head and even though I certainly haven't forgotten I never bother to check up on it because it's so awful and senseless that I guess I can't believe it actually happened...

Why on earth hasn't this been solved yet? Not blaming anybody, just in shock. Of all the crimes to not be solved, I didn't think this would be one (maybe I said that wrong - it's late, but you all know what I mean). Many cases are solved without even having the bodies present! Of course many aren't, too, but a murder inside a house in a neighborhood, not out in the middle of nowhere, where there's bound to be some sort of transfer evidence left behind and NOTHING? I just can't believe it. Again, nobody's fault necessarily that it hasn't been solved, but both the crime and how long this has taken are such tragedies. So much so that I find myself following missing persons cases daily, but this one gets pushed to the back of my head and even though I certainly haven't forgotten I never bother to check up on it because it's so awful and senseless that I guess I can't believe it actually happened...

It's the CSI effect - we now expect crimes to be solved immediately. In reality it doesn't work that way. There are a number of factors at play behind the scenes that we never see that could affect how fast a case gets solved. First, your state has to give LE the budget to thoroughly investigate. Who knows how many detectives are in the homicide unit right now, or have been moved from homicide to other units due to budget constraints. You have to accumulate enough evidence for an arrest and then to be taken to trial. Maybe they're waiting for a certain witness to talk - if it's gang-related, it could take a while to get information if "snitches get stitches"; maybe they have "feelers" out in the correctional facilities trying to pick up chatter, maybe there's a backlog on testing evidence in their labs, or their state doesn't have the budget for certain tests and additional manpower on the case. They probably have POIs that they are keeping watch on right now but waiting to make a move. Nobody wants to put forth a weak case that ends up getting dropped or thrown out - they would rather wait until they can be absolutely certain of a conviction. IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back