OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to learn more about Katelyn's employer also!

Would someone send the Fairfield police dept. an email to make sure they are looking into the weather system that moved through the area that night? I really hope that they are already considering it.

CARTER: Well, to be honest, she had some legal documents, like bills, and like her school schedule, things like that. And she wanted me to dispose of them. And the series of text messages that she sent to me -- I had sent her after I had gotten rid of them. I just said, I got rid of them. They`re all gone. And she wanted me to burn them. So it`s, like, I burnt the message -- or I burnt your documents. And she was, like, Oh, I kind of wanted to be there. And I was, like, Well, I have documents I need to burn, so you can be there when I burn mine. And then she just wrote back a message saying, like, Oh, OK. And then she sent me the picture message, and then that was it.

CARTER: Because she has -- she was going to be moving out of her house. She didn`t want to be bringing all these documents with her, and they were just old, old stuff -- like old bank statements, old things like that. All of her current bank statements, everything like that -- they`re all still in the house. They`re all still there and everything like that, so...

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1108/25/ng.01.html

Wait a minute...what the heck? In the first paragraph he says he burned the papers. In the second paragraph he says the papers are all "still there". Does anyone else see a glaring contradiction here? !! Or am I reading this wrong?

This is where it goes strange for me. JC claims that they were having a text conversation about the burning after he left. I believe he commented in one interview that he had told her it was done in the first text. He claims to have left between 11-11:30pm. The text conversation had to have taken place between 11:30 and 12:45am. The weather indicates that this is the exact times when it was supposed to be raining and a thunderstorm. :waitasec:

All true but we don't know where his friend lived. It might not have been raining there.

My son lives about 8 miles from me. He is complaining that his grass is dying for lack of rain. I have mold and mushrooms on my lawn because of so much rain. My sister-in-law's basement flooded from a rain storm. Still he didn't get any rain at his house. She live 2 miles closer to my son.

Wait a minute...what the heck? In the first paragraph he says he burned the papers. In the second paragraph he says the papers are all "still there". Does anyone else see a radical contradiction here? !! Or am I reading this wrong?

Old papers were burned. New documents are still at her house.

Wait a minute...what the heck? In the first paragraph he says he burned the papers. In the second paragraph he says the papers are all "still there". Does anyone else see a radical contradiction here? !! Or am I reading this wrong?

Everything he says, he seems to "un-say" in another sentence...very confusing man...

I am really really on the fence here. Carter speaks oddly, says things that should evoke suspicion, and yet he does not SEEM creepy like the Powell duo.
:fence:
But he could be, and is just able to hide it. I really go back and forth. There are so many suspicious circumstances that make me stay on him. The midnight 'rainy' firepit, the picture sent just as she turned off her phone. Him saying she was too tired to talk to his parents that night,about their impending move. Big red flag, imo. That makes me wonder if she was maybe wanting to back out of that decision. Was she wanting to break off the engagement ?

But there is also a strong possibility that she had an admirer or stalker or she was seeing someone else secretly, and it all came to a head that night. The text picture sent to carter says to me that the perp knew him and disliked him. I do not think a stranger would send that picture and turn off her phone. But who knows?:confused:

Who and when was she seen by someone other than her boyfriend? For how much time is he the last person to have been in contact with her? According to him, he last saw her at 11-11:30, she sent a photo of a photo that arrived at 12:52, but at 12:45 she turned her phone off? Wouldn't she be waiting for a response to a picture she sent him?

And he supposedly burned the papers after leaving that night, then she said she wanted to be there? So didn't they have this conversation only minutes before this? He left her house, burned the papers and was home in a very short time?

The real key to this timeline is when someone other than he saw her. I dont' put much faith in a timeline defined completely by the last person to see her and a buch of text messages from a phone that is missing. It does not add up.

Odd that he would have mentioned this at all unless there were wintesses to it and it would have to be explained. Then again, it is a strange and potentailly suspicious event, so that it occurred at all and is now documented is a big question mark. Why throw it out there, it only casts suspicion?

The cell phone thing is odd too. They are not reliable evidence since they can be operated by anyone. Checking cell phone towers to see where the last few messages were sent from probably wouldn't show much since they lived so close together and cell towers probably overlap. Seems that text messaging was a big part of their communcation routine and that he did not notice her missing until she did not respond on Monday morning. Kind of leaves a window of opportunity in there for someone to fill in time with random messages and a false timeline. Did she really send the messages to him herself? Odd that that is the only other thing missing besides her, it is a big variable who is in control of that phone. Who turns off their phone at night? I don't.

He reported her missing on Sunday. An abductor would turn the phone off. He might not have realized she had it and when he discovered it he turned it off.

I don't know. Maybe he is innocent, but not really bright. To me, the ONLY reason she would have said " Oh, I kinda wanted to be there" was because she wanted to see that it was all really burned up. That is a natural reaction concerning personal financial things that need to be shredded or destroyed.

But his reply, " ok, you can be there when I burn mine" ---lol, makes no sense at all.

Yah....how romantic. Watching each other burn documents. lol

IDK....this case is another one for the bizarro file.

After watching NG last night I'm still confused about the "picture of a picture" that was sent.

CARTER: I`m sorry. Here`s what the situation was. She had actually sent -- after I had left her house, she had actually sent me a couple of actual text messages about things that she wanted me to do to help her out because she had to work and go to school so much. Then -- she normally sends me pictures of things. Her boss at her internship is a really good photographer, and he took some pictures of her that were really, really good and she wanted to show them to me. And that was one of them.

GRACE: OK, I`ve got a question.

CARTER: It was one of the pictures that he had taken.

GRACE: I got a question, John Carter. You were just there in the townhome with her. Why didn`t she just show you the pictures? Why did she text you a picture of a picture?

CARTER: I mean, I don`t know. They were up in her room. You know, she just -- she likes to send me pictures all the time. She always has.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1108/25/ng.01.html

When reading this, it appears that the pictures were hard copy photos that were up in her room and that she took a picture of one of the hard copy photos to send. I was always under the impression that the pictures were on her phone and were sent to her by her boss.

If they were hard copy photos in her room, what does this mean? That she was in her room alone at the time she sent that text? I don't recall there being any talk of sending in forensics to see if anyone else was in her room.

MOO

I have two kids in their twenties. They send pics of things they are seeing, thinking of. Sometimes weird things I swear. The pics are just another form of communication to them.

I can see her prepared for bed, deciding to look at the pics and then taking a pic of the one she likes best and sending it to him. As to the phone going off right away, the last thing a kid does is to put their phone on the charger. Some people turn the phone off while it charges to make it charge better. Did she normally do that?

I don't understand why it was so urgent to burn those documents. If she wanted to be there I can see no reason why they couldn't have been burned some other time when she could.

Wonder why he corrected himself and said message, then documents. What message?

The only thing I find hinky about the paper burning thing, is what some are making such a big deal about.
I read, in an article that someone had googled and had it cached, not there anymore, I don't think, is that she wanted the old papers burned, because of identity theft, her address, probably phone number, if school papers, possibly SS#, bank statements, these were papers she no longer needed for her records, wanted them destroyed because of identity theft, not because someone was trying to destroy some big deep dark secret.IMO
I would be very surprised if LE did not talk to the people who he was with when the burning occurred, if this did not happen, I would think things would be going in a different direction.
LE can subpoena her, as well as his phone records, all the texting and calls will be on them, they don't need phones or sim cards, IMO things pretty much add up to what he says.
IMO he is somewhat of a dweeb, not cocky or real macho, seems to be perfectly willing to tell what occurred when he left her. He is only 23 years old, probably not overly mature for his age.
His story doesn't seem way out there to me, he is willing to talk and does not seem to be hiding anything.
I would think that LE has questioned all of their friends. Has anyone heard anyone of them mention that he was ever abusive or that they have been having problems?
I would h think she would confide in one of her friends, if anything was wrong, they have been fighting or she want's to break up with him.
He was posting on his facebook about her being missing, how much he loves her and how much he want's her back, not just "Katelyn is missing this is what you can do to help find her."
This talking in the past tense carp bugs the carp out of me, she is not with him, he loves her he want's her back. I don't feel like he is talking in the past tense because he did anything, just that she is not with him right now.
This poor guy couldn't win for loosing, if he was not talking, he'd be guilty, because he is talking, he must be guilty.
I will be totally shocked if he had anything to do with her being missing, or did anything to her.

I have two kids in their twenties. They send pics of things they are seeing, thinking of. Sometimes weird things I swear. The pics are just another form of communication to them.

I can see her prepared for bed, deciding to look at the pics and then taking a pic of the one she likes best and sending it to him. As to the phone going off right away, the last thing a kid does is to put their phone on the charger. Some people turn the phone off while it charges to make it charge better. Did she normally do that?

I agree. My kids send pictures to their friends and their bf's/gfs ALL day long it seems. If they see something silly or weird they snap a quick photo and press send.

About her phone being OFF though. She was home all alone and going to bed. I know my daughter keeps hers on , even while charging, just for safety's sake. But she has no landline in her apt. I wonder if they had one in the Markham condo?

But if, like you described, she turned it off to charge, and then went to bed, then how did she go missing, with no signs of a break in? It seems so odd.

I have 2 theories as it stands right now:
1. She went outside to smoke/text, left the dog in her bed, closed the bedroom door, and someone accosted her outside (less likely theory).
2. Someone she knew called her or stopped by (or even saw her outside), she went with him/her with just her phone expecting to be back very shortly (ala Amy Henslee), and something went awry.

I agree. My kids send pictures to their friends and their bf's/gfs ALL day long it seems. If they see something silly or weird they snap a quick photo and press send.

About her phone being OFF though. She was home all alone and going to bed. I know my daughter keeps hers on , even while charging, just for safety's sake. But she has no landline in her apt. I wonder if they had one in the Markham condo?

But if, like you described, she turned it off to charge, and then went to bed, then how did she go missing, with no signs of a break in? It seems so odd.

It's not just that the phone itself was turned off but apparently the GPS feature was turned off too. I believe I've read she has a Blackberry. Unless you have or know something about one, I doubt it would be that easy to find this feature and turn it off. These phones are also usually locked with a password so only someone with the password could have turned this feature off.

MOO

Hmmm....interesting. I think it's possible they might be. It is a very good picture of her. I wonder if the poster's creater, MA, is the boss?

I poked around on her facebook for MA - she's a fellow student at the Art institute, a girl. Apparently a good friend.

Those pictures are just so much prettier than her other pics. Very nicely done, very flattering poses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila