OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But what does this have to do with TM, or searching for Katelyn...I just don't know. Is he being a mouthpiece for the family, and if so, why? That has never really been his role, as far as I know. It seems LE should be the ones to speak up if the investigation is truly being affected.

If he is going to be a mouthpiece for anyone it should be KM and her family. JC and his family are not family. It sounds like they must have really been getting to him. I wonder if any who think JC is guilty talked to him too...or maybe this was actually directed at them. (I sure missed that though)

I am still confused why they are so concerned preparing to sue, thinking about suing, taking screenshots, etc when a beloved basically family member is recently missing and could be in danger or dead? Is that normal? The only other cases I can think of that involve family members or significant others being accused have not acted like that. The focus has been the missing person even while asserting innocence. It sincerely baffles me.

I have gotta say it. Sorry if I offend.

I am not one to put Tim Miller on a pedestal but I certainly respect him for his work. Honestly I can see how rumors CAN indeed impede an investigation and search. For instance, the cell phone thing. Rumor was that it was found. So searchers might have thought they shouldn't be looking for a cell phone. Another "what if"- Katelyn's boyfriend, family and friends were out there searching. What if searchers weren't being cordial to them? (I am not saying this happened, just giving a for instance) It would cause drama and the business of looking for Katelyn would not be the spotlight.

And I guess to those that donate money for searches because they want to receive a thank you, I guess that is their prerogative. I donate to a cause not for things I get back but for the way the money is used. To help people.

I never once sent money in expecting a thank you. However, I didn't expect him to act so ungrateful. There is a huge difference. Not offended in the least by you, but by Tm, yes.

Seems very little is said at all from KM family and J family is running the show.

I hate to say it, but it seems like this case is getting pretty cold. KM seems like a beautiful young adult and my heart goes out to the family.

I have a son and daughter in their early 20's, both have Fine Arts degrees, so this one is really hitting home.

Well after that last press conference I think it never was warm. Sounded like there are no tips coming in and only people with ideas theories etc.

Totally makes sense to me that TES will come later. They've done a couple searches in between bad weather and nothing concrete. Why not wait for more info, for the ground to dry out, for leaves to drop,etc. It makes sense to let more information come in. Really, noone knows where to search - is Katelyn even in the area or in state?

And Tim sounds available should important details come to fruitiion - they are a "phone call away."

I agree, it is the FB site that is problematic (and I've enjoyed reading over there). There is huge speculation and everything aimed at the fiance for the most part. TES really values confidence in their searches, so I support Tim's admonition to not be spreading rumors. What is accomplished by rumors and heresay?

It all comes down eventually to good leads, hard facts and evidence found. And I think Tim is a concrete man. He doesn't have time for the maybe/what ifs. He wants to get a job done.

I have gotta say it. Sorry if I offend.

I am not one to put Tim Miller on a pedestal but I certainly respect him for his work. Honestly I can see how rumors CAN indeed impede an investigation and search. For instance, the cell phone thing. Rumor was that it was found. So searchers might have thought they shouldn't be looking for a cell phone. Another "what if"- Katelyn's boyfriend, family and friends were out there searching. What if searchers weren't being cordial to them? (I am not saying this happened, just giving a for instance) It would cause drama and the business of looking for Katelyn would not be the spotlight.

And I guess to those that donate money for searches because they want to receive a thank you, I guess that is their prerogative. I donate to a cause not for things I get back but for the way the money is used. To help people.

My opinion: I'd not let any rumors stop me from searching in every way, for everything, even the phone.

As for seeing JC there, or meeting him ... I'd be polite and friendly, since he's innocent until proven guilty. Wouldn't affect my job to find evidence/Katelyn, in any way.

There's no doubt that the rise of Facebook has changed these cases and that Facebook can have a real world effect on them. This is not the first case we've seen this happen and it won't be the last. The Hailey Dunn case is probably the most extreme...different family factions and locals have fought on Facebook and LE has issued at least one statement complaining that FB causes serious problems for the investigation. There are reasons that Websleuths is so heavily moderated...one is common decency but these kinds of issues, including defamation, are very real for Tricia.

Reading the Considering Everything page, I can understand how John's family gets upset with what's said. The people on the other side also get sensitive about being targeted for what they write, it's easy for people to bristle when they feel like they are being attacked. If, god forbid, I were in John's family's place I'd probably just avoid FB altogether and try to let that stuff roll off my back but there's no doubt that the FB chatter has a real life component. I'm sure John and his family hear about his guilt frequently in their daily life. I can imagine how difficult that must be to deal with. I also understand that people following the case sincerely care about Katelyn and justice.

I just haven't seen anything that makes me budge off the fence on this one. I just hope there are answers soon.

I think that if LE have a problem with the chatter going on FB or anywhere else they are perfectly capable of letting that be known. They haven't said a word about it as far as I know.

I don't know what TM was thinking when he made that statement, but he has stepped on LE's toes a time or two regarding the Cummings and McStay cases. Hindering is exactly what I would call what he did. TM gets into trouble when he decides to play detective instead of just searching.

My opinion: I'd not let any rumors stop me from searching in every way, for everything, even the phone.

As for seeing JC there, or meeting him ... I'd be polite and friendly, since he's innocent until proven guilty. Wouldn't affect my job to find evidence/Katelyn, in any way.

Me too. But then I doubt that could be said for everyone on the internet. And in some ways, especially when no evidence turns up, a search is only as good as it's weakest searcher; if some ARE affected by rumors and opinions etc., then how can the team be sure that an area has fully effectively been searched?

I wouldn't be surprised, based on the statement Tim made, if something happened that we're not privy to. Arguing between "camps" would be pretty darn frustrating when trying to organize a search.

Same people same old argument. TM did not step on any toes in the cummings case, he was working with LE. I love how couple of people are feigning ignorance and just do not know why TM would put out a statement like that. Pfftt!!!!!
What gives a hand full of searchers the right to contact the family, that they have never met, and harrass them?

Same people same old argument. TM did not step on any toes in the cummings case, he was working with LE. I love how couple of people are feigning ignorance and just do not know why TM would put out a statement like that. Pfftt!!!!!
What gives a hand full of searchers the right to contact the family, that they have never met, and harrass them?

Someone contacted Katelyn's family and harrassed them?

LE approved the Donna Brock fiasco?

My only question is, how can TM determine who posted negative things and who didn't, if and when he returns to search? He says those people are not allowed. How can he enforce this?

Hey guys. We don't all have to agree with TM's decisions, but we can't be snarky with other posters' opinions. Remember that please. :tyou:

SuziQ, Donna was reporting information directly to LE not to Tim, then sadly came the drugs and money signs. It was over. There is a great radio interviewthat details most of what happened(not BNN).

I am confused by this: http://texasequusearch.org/2011/09/message-from-tim-miller-3/

Does this mean Tim doesn't want any of us at searches????

I read this to mean that TES will ban any searchers associated with the gossip/bashing on this case. He does not want to be associated with it. It is a fair position-TES needs the cooperation of law enforcement for many reasons-warm bodies, grids that rule in/out search areas, permission to search public and private property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove