OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK-I just went back through the thread...I see some talk about TES not searching until the first frost, etc.

Tim Miller should be allowed to handle the disclosure of search areas and timing, invho. He may have been asked by LE not to disclose locations or objects they would like TES to keep in mind. And yet it is possible the information is leaking out.

If LE cannot have confidence in TES, they wont disclose info to them. The missing person will lose out here.

There's no doubt that the rise of Facebook has changed these cases and that Facebook can have a real world effect on them. This is not the first case we've seen this happen and it won't be the last. The Hailey Dunn case is probably the most extreme...different family factions and locals have fought on Facebook and LE has issued at least one statement complaining that FB causes serious problems for the investigation. There are reasons that Websleuths is so heavily moderated...one is common decency but these kinds of issues, including defamation, are very real for Tricia.

Reading the Considering Everything page, I can understand how John's family gets upset with what's said. The people on the other side also get sensitive about being targeted for what they write, it's easy for people to bristle when they feel like they are being attacked. If, god forbid, I were in John's family's place I'd probably just avoid FB altogether and try to let that stuff roll off my back but there's no doubt that the FB chatter has a real life component. I'm sure John and his family hear about his guilt frequently in their daily life. I can imagine how difficult that must be to deal with. I also understand that people following the case sincerely care about Katelyn and justice.

I just haven't seen anything that makes me budge off the fence on this one. I just hope there are answers soon.

Very well said! The internet, in general, has changed a ton with how these investigations work. I think whenever any of these cases start - the majority of those involved (whether innocent or guilty, quiet or outspoken) never imagine that intimate details of their life, which was once an anonymous speck, would be picked apart on a global scale. Because really, it's a crapshoot - given the sad reality that most missing persons cases still do not gain national attention. I doubt small-town JC would have ever imagined - in those early hours of calling 911 - that within a week he'd be in Nancy Grace's hotseat, and that people would be drawing inferences from live journal posts from 6 years ago. We know the internet is public domain, but for the vast majority of us, that still means "people who know us."

I am not saying that we shouldn't be doing anything to sleuth - but it does make me very happy that Websleuths is so carefully moderated and not a giant rumor mill full of name calling a biases that we tend to see elsewhere.

I just wonder though - if my husband went missing, and I had to call 911... I think my expectation in those early moments would be that the police would come help and we'd find him. No one ever expects to be a headline case. And in the beginning, I think most are happy when they start getting media attention, because when the local news does a quick piece, it really does help spread the word. I think most of us could easily mis-step at this point; I'd probably stammer and say the wrong thing, or contradict myself out of nerves. And what if he were now missing for a few weeks and presumed dead? I'm not named as a suspect, but people are slamming me all over internet boards, digging up posts I'd made 10 years ago, "sleuthing" where I live and work... I know it's easy to say "anything to find my husband," but how far does that extend? Because if I were already grieving what is statistically likely to be a deceased love one, and still without closure, it sure would make my blood boil when some facebook poster figures out my second cousin has a criminal record, or that my dear grandmother owns a boat (or whatever).

I'm still on the fence about JC at this point, but I'm just saying that I get it. For anyone involved, to have their lives picked apart by strangers like that, would be completely overwhelming. And think about how you feel if it were your child, your husband, or your dear old grandmother... JMO.

I can understand why TES is waiting until first frost to continue searching. With all the police/TES/independent searches in the last month (it has been a month, I am so sorry Katelyn) most of the immediate radius and even secondary radius ground has been covered. This leaves large swaths of woods, cropland and fields to search. These areas can be difficult or impossible to search in the height of summer.

Corn fields are almost impossible to search while the crop is still in. Once the corn has been combined, it will be easier to get people, atv's, dogs in there to look for clues.

Also, autumn brings hunters into the woods/fields (waterfowl and upland bird hunters use dogs) and they are often in areas where others don't go. Many a body has been found by hunters in the fall.

Rush Run is a wildlife/hunting area is 20 miles NW of Fairfield. Twenty miles isn't very far to go with someone in your trunk. It would be a good place to hide someone, as the area has no amenities for camping, is used primarily for hunting and fishing, and probably isn't used much by anyone until the fall hunting season. (I am not local, info on the wildlife area from the Ohio DNR website. Perhaps a local poster would weigh-in on the accuracy of the info I have.)

I don't think the body is KM. There was ID found along with the body. We know KM left all her belongings behind in her apartment except the cell phone. I don't think they would say they will "try" and find the next of kin if the ID matched KM either.

He says there was some identification found near the body, but officers must determine if the identification belonged to the body. They will try to find next of kin.

http://www.newstalkradiowhio.com/news/news/local/body-found-near-prestige-plaza/nDmXS/

On FB they are reporting this to be a woman's body...but about 30-40 miles away from Katelyn's home. Confusing, as LE says ID was found near the body but not sure if it belongs to the woman...I don't get the feeling this is Katelyn.

Wow! Just got caught up for the first time in almost 2 weeks since i feel like I have to read every single post or I might miss something, lol.

So many well written and thought provoking posts and I thank all of you for them. By the time I'm caught up, any thoughts I've had have already been posted by someone else and the discussion focus has moved on.

I must agree that the only thing that makes sense to me about the "burning documents" and "wish I could be there" is smoking weed. In my smoking days, it would have been common for a friend to ask if I wanted to come "burn one" and I'd have to decline for some reason, yet wish I could be there. Makes the most sense to me. Also makes sense that he would want to cover that with LE by stating documents so no texts referring to such could come back & bite him. Doesn't mean he did anything beyond that though.

I am just so confused by whether JC is involved or not. I teeter totter back & forth. Either way sounds plausible to me.

I see this going the way so many others before it has. How sad that answers may never come....

Was going to send a contribution to TE, sent one to Klaas kids instead. :great:

Good idea :)
I know a BF is not the same as a parent, but Marc would want to know if the main people in Katelyn's life had taken and passed polygraphs, before anything else, something we just don't know in this case.

Anyway, I have not heard a peep from LE about how suspecting or maligning JC on the internet has interfered with their case. They could, if they wished, state that he had taken a LD and was being treated as a victim rather than a POI, but they have said no such thing.

My main question to TM is how on earth he can determine who has and has not written what he considers to be "negative" posts on the internet, when and if he returns and wants to gather searchers? Also, what is his definition of "negative?"

Someone from the FB page put together a Live Journal of what testimonies have come in from JC, his friends, her friends, family, NG show, etc. It is interesting. The "burning" seems to be a much bigger thing because noone is willing to answer the question straight up it seems. I'm still reading, but I almost get the impression that something "happened" to KM that was unintentional and now there is a cover up. Didn't JC say somewhere along the line that "things went further than what they were meant to/expected"? I don't know what it was in reference to, but I remember seeing something about this I think and went hmmm.

Also, her phone being turned off seems to be a huge thing. KM was definitely not one to do this from all accounts. It's like someone snuffed her out by turning off that phone.

http://kmdce.livejournal.com/1435.html

Someone from the FB page put together a Live Journal of what testimonies have come in from JC, his friends, her friends, family, NG show, etc. It is interesting. The "burning" seems to be a much bigger thing because noone is willing to answer the question straight up it seems. I'm still reading, but I almost get the impression that something "happened" to KM that was unintentional and now there is a cover up. Didn't JC say somewhere along the line that "things went further than what they were meant to/expected"? I don't know what it was in reference to, but I remember seeing something about this I think and went hmmm.

Also, her phone being turned off seems to be a huge thing. KM was definitely not one to do this from all accounts. It's like someone snuffed her out by turning off that phone.

http://kmdce.livejournal.com/1435.html

I believe his comment was, "I never thought it would go this far".

I believe his comment was, "I never thought it would go this far".

Yea, In like the second interview, I think he says either "I never wanted it to go this far" or I never thought it would go this far".

I pointed that out to my fiancee from the first airing of the interview....never have liked the comment.

I'm desperately trying to catch up and have noticed so many new posters. Wow! I have two questions:

someone posted that a neighbor claims that "JM's" car wasn't seen at Katelyn's townhouse at all that evening. Who is JM?

was there a press conference that I misse

I'm desperately trying to catch up and have noticed so many new posters. Wow! I have two questions:

someone posted that a neighbor claims that "JM's" car wasn't seen at Katelyn's townhouse at all that evening. Who is JM?

was there a press conference that I misse

No recent PC and that was a rumor or a theory about his car not being there, I believe. Really, there is nothing at all new.

Thanks, clu...

I'm going to have to quit my job if I can't keep up with this discussion.

There's a special on Jackie Kennedy tonight at 9:00pm that I'm dying to see. Anyone else hear about it?

I can't wait!!!!!!!

Yea, In like the second interview, I think he says either "I never wanted it to go this far" or I never thought it would go this far".

I pointed that out to my fiancee from the first airing of the interview....never have liked the comment.

You are absolutely correct the statement was, "I never wanted it to go this far".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove