OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue - 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #76

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did George's attorney just admit there is proof of conspiracy? That's why I heard him say in his argument.

Also interesting that Angela Canepa said there was nothing of investigative value in Jake's interview, but there was a lot of information in Billy's that gave them evidence to pursue more investigative work.

It's easy, statements the defendants made after the crime that are dishonest were part of their efforts to cover up crimes and the conspiracy. It's up to the state if they want to introduce that old evidence when they have a confession.

yes but GW wasn't part of it. :rolleyes:
But he was and they have the evidence. We've gone over that many times already. He lied about the weapons, the list of family gun inventory that contained the murder weapons, he went along to purchase the murder truck and helped modify it, he bought some of the equipment, etc. Just off the top of my head, there's more. I'm babysitting a 2 yo running around with Sesame Street playing along with the trial, so can't post more detail. If I can see it, so can jurors.

If they need clarification, they'll get it in the coming days.

Defense is saying " XYZ evidence isn't proof of conspiracy because we say it isn't". Ok. Typical Nash and Parker.

Agh, Sesame Street is drowning out the defense arguments. Will read the journalists tweets.
Judge is right. This is so complicated because the evidence comes from multiple statements of the 4 different killers. Nash and Parker know this and are taking advantage to stir the pot and confuse jurors.

But he was and they have the evidence. We've gone over that many times already. He lied about the weapons, the list of family gun inventory that contained the murder weapons, he went along to purchase the murder truck and helped modify it, he bought some of the equipment, etc. Just off the top of my head, there's more. I'm babysitting a 2 yo running around with Sesame Street playing along with the trial, so can't post more detail. If I can see it, so can jurors.

If they need clarification, they'll get it in the coming days.

Defense is saying " XYZ evidence isn't proof of conspiracy because we say it isn't". Ok. Typical Nash and Parker.
I realize that, just stating what the defense said, GW wasn't part of it.

I think the defense will be hampered if they can't get the Judge to allow them to play JW interrogation, there case seems to be JW and AW are liars and they lie on a consistent basis, and they lie to LE on a consistent basis, so why should the jury believe them now

they can impeach them when they testify with prior statements, but I think it is much more powerful for the jury to hear them talking and lie after lie comes from their mouths,

I doubt the judge will allow it though, he has only sustained the defenses objections in trial a few times,
Agree, that's probably the only defense they have left.

In reality, the same situation exists every time someone confesses to a crime. They nearly always lie to LE first, then tell the truth later. This case is no different. If thousands of other dangerous defendants are found guilty and imprisoned based on their accomplices confessions, George is no different.

Just because he's a Wagner with a powerful, wealthy family behind him shouldn't make him better than the rest.

Last edited:
My current opinion.
The Prosecution is too close to this case and mired in the weeds trying to stick to chronological order.
Sorry to say, my opinion, it is not going well. Jury must be lost. MO
They are going in chronological order. This trial is going exactly as it should be.going. The jury is doing just fine. I'm really not getting the complaints. Imo.

Agh, Sesame Street is drowning out the defense arguments. Will read the journalists tweets.
Judge is right. This is so complicated because the evidence comes from multiple statements of the 4 different killers. Nash and Parker know this and are taking advantage to stir the pot and confuse jurors.
And confuse people watching the trial. Everyone please take note.

I hope someone on here can understand all this.... I can't understand anything said on the interview recording lol.
I had to put my earbuds in. Can hear loud and clear now. Starting out with softball questions. Talking about Hanna and S now.

Angela talking about how Hanna did such a great job of delivering her a grandchild that Angela could take away from her. She does not sound at all sad about the fact that Hanna was murdered.

James Pilcher
@jamespilcher
Good morning from Day 22 of the Pike Co murder trial of George Wagner IV. First up - hearing on whether defense can introduce the 4-5 hour interview with Jake Wagner. If judge doesn't allow it, it will be BCI agent Jennifer Comisford, who interviewed Angela Wagner.

Canepa says the interview with Jake had no impact on the investigation. They had already identified Wagners as suspects and put taps on their phones and in their SUV.

Also argues law precedent says only prosecution can introduce statements by defendants or co-defendants as part of the conspiracy rules

Canepa: Nothing that Jake Wagner said that day that led to any extra investigative steps.

And how to you sort through 5 and a half hours of interview to find out how it changed the investigation. Also Jake denies it and denies that family did it - calls it disingenuous approach to try to get something into evidence not allowed.

Judge asks why statement needs to be introduced. Not impeaching Scheiderer during cross-examination.

Parker for defense: this goes against the state's case, especially since Jake and Angela have pleaded guilty to conspiracy.

Also argues defense has a right to complete case and that jury needs to be able to determine reliability. And prosecution said previously defense could introduce it during their case.

Says state conceded it could be used, but that prosecutors were upset with the timing. Concedes Jake and Angela had conspiracy at Montana border. But not conceding George was part of it.

Judge denies request to play the recording. Says it could be impeachment later on but not now.

Nash now arguing they shouldn't be able to now play the entire interview of Angela Wagner. On it she agrees she bought the shoes "for her boys."

Wilson for prosecution argues prosecution should be able to introduce co-conspiracy statements - including Angela Wagner.

Judge says defense should bring it up with objections in front of jury.

Nash is trying to get the statement from Angela "I bought those (shoes) for my boys" excluded. Says it doesn't show furtherance of conspiracy.

Want to play all 2 hours of the Angela interview. Canepa says that initially Angela denies buying shoes, then she admits she bought them for her boys but threw them away. That entire statement shows cover up.

Now Canepa objecting to defense bringing up Jake's proffer/confession. Gets as testy as it has ever been during the trial. Nash also says the defense is not conceding there was a conspiracy.

link: https://twitter.com/jamespilcher

James Pilcher
@jamespilcher
·
32m
Now Scheiderer on redirect. Says they wanted to get conversation inside the SUV with wiretaps after the interviews - but there wasn't any. Then road noise prohibited hearing anything inside the car.

Next witness is BCI special agent Jennifer Comisford, who interviewed Angela Wagner at the Montana border.

Been a BCI agent for 8 years, used to work special investigations and now in environmental enforcement. Also previously a Columbus officer.

Assigned to Rhoden murders from Day 1. Then worked and traveled to and from Pike County daily for several months.

Interviewed the Wagners in Montana but also went to Virginia for interviews. Also interviewed inmates during the investigation.

Treated the interview with Wagners at border as "custodial" meaning they were treated as if they were not free to leave and given Miranda rights. They were in custody and being interrogated.

Angela Wagner consented to interview and it was recorded.

About to play it in entirety.

Agents start with soft personal questions about Alaska and what it is like

Now talking about traveling with two three year olds - Sophie and Bulvine

Watched the movie "Trolls" a lot in the car.

Agents now get it - talks about being patted down. Have read you Miranda rights. And tells her she has the right not to talk to them.

Reads aloud the agreement the Miranda form - that anything she says can be used against her.

Talking about relationship with Rhodens - Sophie had breathing problems early on and needed surgery. Angela said Jake and Hanna remained best friends after breaking off the engagement.

Angela - "Hanna called me Mom" ... says Jake and Hanna broke it off 6 months before "the incident"

Angela says Sophie would call her "mommy and her Nana" after the murders on her toy phone. Says Hanna "was a spoiled brat" when she first started hanging around Jake when she was 13.

BCI agent Rick Ward is leading the interview.

Jake wanted to have more time with Sophie as Hanna was working. And there were times they couldn't find her. Also says little Chris (Chris Rhoden Jr.) would spend a lot of time at Wagners. Also calls him spoiled

link: https://twitter.com/jamespilcher

No more tweets as of 3 minutes ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members