OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a dif’ LE or agency? Idk, just a guess.
If AW/JW interviewed together, I envision this:

LE: was it hot yesterday?

AW: omg, yes, sweltering horrible heat & humidity.
JW: Yea, just like my mom said

LE: What time did you eat dinner yesterday?

AW: around 7
JW: Whatever time my mom said

LE: What time did you get up today?

AW: Around 8
JW: If mom says 8 that’s what I’m going with

So, there’d be no point in a joint sit down. IMO, they’d have to be in separate rooms with each interviewer asking the exact question of each person. Then, compare results. Just like jailing multiple suspects prior to trial. Keep them separated. Even in patrol cars. Separate them. LE wants no collusion. Now, it’s not always possible to have separate cars to haul them in as some LE cars are not adequately equipped to transport perps, but they’d be recorded.
As they say, it’s easier to remember the truth than a lie.

****wanted to add, JW had the same smirk at his arraignment we noticed him having during his pretrial. I think (due to his naïveté & possible immaturity) he enjoys the attention he’s getting. Jmo
OMG...I am laughing out loud, uproariously loud! "JW: Yea, just like my mom said. JW: Whatever time my mom said. JW: If mom says 8 that’s what I’m going with...
Sarcasm does have a way of highlighting a family's dysfunction. Somewhere there is a detective asking, "How did Trudie know? That is exactly what Jake said."

Would anyone in the surrounding areas be able to pick up conversation from a walkie talkie on a CB or HAM radio?

Don’t think it probable. The ones we used were top of the line and had limited range. But we used them between Kenai and Juneau in the mountains we would lose contact.

Factoid. Did you know that Alaska is the only State where you must drive into a foriegn country to go to the Capitol by car yup. It was a 968 mile drive in January through the Yukon to Haines to board a ferry for a 4.5 hour ride to disembark in Auke Bay Alaska. Just north of Juneau.

Ahhhhh but me thinks that the basics stuck with the Air Force Soldier. it gave her the basic desire to maintain Air Force friendships, contacts and all she learned during her years serving her country. It taught her about firearms, discipline and the most important thing of all, a good tried true and tested plan for everything she did in life.

Her marriage to George 3 was aconniving scheme the moment she knew he was a descendant of the Flyin Dub Farm Waggies.

I do think AW was probably pleased to marry a Wag. Just sayin. I would have been pleased to marry prince Charles, too. Despite the “ears”. MOO

OMG...I am laughing out loud, uproariously loud! "JW: Yea, just like my mom said. JW: Whatever time my mom said. JW: If mom says 8 that’s what I’m going with...
Sarcasm does have a way of highlighting a family's dysfunction. Somewhere there is a detective asking, "How did Trudie know? That is exactly what Jake said."

I just don’t think he’s “bright”. Plus, being the baby, I see him accustomed to family members speaking for him.

Remember, shortly after arresting the 4, DeWine said something about being unable to discuss motive. That custody played a role. He has also stated the event is “bizarre”. This leads me to believe custody was not the main motive. I’ve always believed there’s a far deeper motive.
Let me look for link.

ETA: The Aggravated Murder charges also include death penalty specifications for all four suspects,” DeWine said. “Because this is an open prosecution, we won’t be able to say much about motive, but you’ll see from the indictments that custody plays a role in this case. We believe that the Wagners conspired together to create an elaborate plan to kill the eight victims under the cover of darkness and then carefully cover up their tracks. We believe the evidence will show the suspects spent months planning the crimes.”

Ohio AG: 'Today is the Day' — Arrests made in connection with Rhoden murders

IMO, once the actual motive comes to light, that’s the “bizarre” factor. For reasons unknown, the state wishes to withhhold the main motive.

Trudie. I agree this event was planned far longer than DEWine had said. And it’s very possible that LE has digital footprints. I don’t know how far back a provider maintains records in light of the passage of the Patriot Act and the vast changes made to our security since September 11, 2001.

Although I bet it took time I will also bet they looked for and found all there was to find. I think LE took their time and they found exactly what they were looking for. It took highly specialized analysts who are trained by the best.

I believe LE HAS an airtight Case. And I believe each will be convicted. Theres an overwhelming probability each will be sentenced to death after a sentencing jury views the bloody gore filled gruesome crime scene evidence and photos. Each Waggie has every opportunity to stop the terrible bizarre murders they all planned, practiced and executed. None made any effort to halt the killings. None could possess a basic respect or regard for a human life.

Trudie. I agree this event was planned far longer than DEWine had said. And it’s very possible that LE has digital footprints. I don’t know how far back a provider maintains records in light of the passage of the Patriot Act and the vast changes made to our security since September 11, 2001.

Although I bet it took time I will also bet they looked for and found all there was to find. I think LE took their time and they found exactly what they were looking for. It took highly specialized analysts who are trained by the best.

I believe LE HAS an airtight Case. And I believe each will be convicted. Theres an overwhelming probability each will be sentenced to death after a sentencing jury views the bloody gore filled gruesome crime scene evidence and photos. Each Waggie has every opportunity to stop the terrible bizarre murders they all planned, practiced and executed. None made any effort to halt the killings. None could possess a basic respect or regard for a human life.

We can only hope the case is airtight. If not, I do believe LE wouldn’t have been given the “go ahead” to arrest.

Unlike some of you, I feel the motive ( once revealed) is something much deeper than custody of S. I think every quote by authorities mentions CUSTODY PLAYED A ROLE or is PART of the motive. I think the main motive was withheld during the investigative stage to avoid tipping anyone off. I also think it’s not yet revealed because there’s no reason for the public to know, at this time. I’m not saying another arrest is imminent or the investigation is open. However, LE needn’t advise the public of what’s going on.

If a pizza delivery driver is robbed of his cash as well as his pizza, the motive
might be “the suspect is homeless & we believe his hunger played a role in the crime”. As discovery is released, we also learn the suspect robbed the driver of his cash. Bad analogy, I know.

Last edited:
Anyone know an appx date when JW//HR and baby S started staying at ThevWag home.

On another note......

‘‘Twas the night before Xmas, 4 Wags are in jail
All held without bail! Yesssssss

Last edited:
Anyone know an appx date when JW//HR and baby S started staying at ThevWag home.

On another note......

‘‘Twas the night before Xmas, 4 Wags are in jail
All held without bail! Yesssssss
To follow your Christmas song...

their lives are now Hell. The shackles were hung on their wrist's with no care, in hope that lethal injection would soon be there.

Last edited:

their lives are now Hell. The shackles were hung on their wrist's with no care, in hope that lethal injection would soon be there.

I don't know that she ever did move in there. The Ws are the only ones to say they lived with both sets of parents at times. They lie so much I wouldn't be surprised to find out this is a lie also. AW also said she thought of HR as a daughter. I think the relationship must have been negative between HR and JW for quite some time. DR seemed very pleased that HR had finally found someone good who made her happy.

Last edited:
I don't know that she ever did move in there. The Ws are the only ones to say they lived with both sets of parents at times. They lie so much I wouldn't be surprised to find out this is a lie also. AW also said she thought of HR as a daughter. I think the relationship must have been negative between HR and JW for quite some time. DR seemed very pleased that HR had finally found someone good who made her happy.

Tysm. I understand AW would wish to proclaim her love for HR, hoping that would excuse her from suspicion/charges. Boy, if murdering someone she loves is love, I’d hate to get on her bad side & have her hate me.
As far as the relationship between HR/JW I attribute problems to their youth & inexperience.

Lol! Love this!!!

At least you said push button, not rotary dial or party line.

The first phone I remember as a kid was a wooden box on the wall. Everyone's phone rang when a call was made. You had to count the long and short rings to know if it was for you. Our number was 11, one long and one short ring. I knew someone who's number was 88. You had to wait for the phone to ring 8 long and 8 short rings to answer it. If it was 7 short rings it was 87 and not you...lol
You turned the crank on the side to make the ring sounds...

Tysm. I understand AW would wish to proclaim her love for HR, hoping that would excuse her from suspicion/charges. Boy, if murdering someone she loves is love, I’d hate to get on her bad side & have her hate me.
As far as the relationship between HR/JW I attribute problems to their youth & inexperience.

Agreed. I think at least part of their problems was the age difference. At his age, he was looking for something more serious, but he choose to date a child. At her age, it should have been expected that she would want to spread her wings a bit. He choose to date a child knowing it would be much easier to control her. I'm sure he did for a while. She was way stronger than he gave her credit for. She wanted more out of life than some backwoods mamas boy. I feel for her. I think they all knew how dangerous it was for at least her, after she made the final break from him and his codependent family. I think the entire family knew the danger. That's why they were all killed. Along with any other yet unknown reasons. The ones who would talk the loudest and possibly seek revenge were killed.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think at least part of their problems was the age difference. At his age, he was looking for something more serious, but he choose to date a child. At her age, it should have been expected that she would want to spread her wings a bit. He choose to date a child knowing it would be much easier to control her. I'm sure he did for a while. She was way stronger than he gave her credit for. She wanted more out of life than some backwoods mamas boy. I feel for her. I think they all knew how dangerous it was for at least her, after she made the final break from him and his codependent family. I think the entire family knew the danger. That's why they were all killed. Along with any other yet unknown reasons. The ones who would talk the loudest and possibly seek revenge were killed.

They say boys mature much slower than girls. I put them emotionally at the same age. Especially considering he did not attend public school (reportedly) & likely had less socialization skills.

They say boys mature much slower than girls. I put them emotionally at the same age. Especially considering he did not attend public school (reportedly) & likely had less socialization skills.
I can agree with that. I have two boys of my own, and more coming. I just think JW wanted an easily controlled girl to make his wife and have babies with. He thought he had that with HR. I think she got sick of his ways and wanted out. Not necessarily to be with anyone else, just to be free of them.

One more? Lol. Why not!

The two Wag boys were nestled all snug in their jail cots
Not really enjoying their cots and free hots,.
While visions of escape danced in their heads
Wishing to be home, in their own beds.

I can agree with that. I have two boys of my own, and more coming. I just think JW wanted an easily controlled girl to make his wife and have babies with. He thought he had that with HR. I think she got sick of his ways and wanted out. Not necessarily to be with anyone else, just to be free of them.

Do we know of any previous relationship JW had?
I’ve not heard of any.
Again, I think “puppy love”. I think she may have been his first gf & he was head over heels. But, we all know, it’s not love & does not last. IMO, both were too young for such an “adult” type relationship.
Since he didn’t attend school, he probably didn’t have access to as may girls as a male student would. IMO
A lot of kids of dating age are involved in school sports & tend to date like minded. Football player + cheerleader.

Merry Christmas to you all. Hope everyone has a great holiday.

I don't post often, but I read along to keep up. Thank you all for keeping it going. I pray all the children are feeling safe and loved now and the family feels some peace. I can't imagine the strength necessary to know who killed your family and not take revenge in the long 2.5 year wait. They are stronger than me. I couldn't have been that patient while my own family was being treated like criminals. LM makes my heart hurt. He must have a truly good soul.

Sad to say that in all probability the arrests brought some relief but the family has to be feeing the anticipated hearings and trials.

The evidence especially the photovevidence is going to be very stressful for them to see. Testimony, autopsy results,?toxicology results and discriptions of their deaths will be hard to hear. Most of the death we experience in our lives is natural, the result of illness or even shocking as an accident.

Death by gunshot is violent, and not normally expected in a rural area. Multiply that by 8 and it’s beyond my imagination how these people can cope. Of course the youngest at 16 was violently denied the right to begin his life. He, by all rights, should have had 60 years to live. Hell not graduate high school, may never have attended a dance or prom, will never be married, have the live if a wife or know how the live of a child is the most pure and innocent one can feel.

I can’t write anymore about what the 8 Rhodens will never have or experience.

But I can say it was not a decision the Waggies had a minute right to make. They might have felt entitled, but they are not God. God is the only entity tasked with life and death.

And as far as I’m concerned the decision that began this murderius rampage was wrong as well. They had no right to assume possession of SW. a judge has the legal right to make that determination. Not anyone with the last name Waggie.

As time goes on, I think t stimony may prove that the rumors are correct that they coerced the bio mom of BW to give up custody. I can’t recall where I read that, but it was early on.

DeWine was correct, the motive and most of this case is bizarre. It’s sad and excessively emotional. I think while most people understand the reason for the murders, none of us can justify killing one person let alone 8. And even unthinkable is the sheer absurdity of aiming a gun and pulling the trigger to kill 8 people is far beyond our reality.

If found guilty, the only suitable place to house them is death row. If found guilty, and death is the penalty, 12 people’s lives will be gone. Not one of which had to die.

I’m trying to imagine what local historians might write about this chapter in Pike County history. Will they be honest and ris the Waggies having to be as crazy and heinous as the crime itself? I don’t know. They may write about the life choices each family made. But can history adequately describe the innocent survivors?

I can only hope that each person who knew the Rhodens who feel the mental anguish of losing so may theyknew and loved, are able to invite mental health professionals into their lives to learn the best ways to cope.

As far as I know there is e nothing I have seen or found explaining a tragedy such as this. Other than the horrible murders on the commercial fishing boat THE INVESTOR IN Craig, Alaska, I haven’t read of anything close in numbers alone. Two children, their pregnant mother, theirvfather the Captain and owner and several deckhands died by gunshot in 1982. Shortly after the Kenai lying the vessel was moved to a cove close to town and burned with the bodies to the waterline

A man was arrested and due to prosecutorial error he was not convicted.

It left a mark in the community and all of Alaska for many years. People did not cope well with it and to this day brings intense negative emotions. I had hoped st the time for history never to repeat itself yet here we are trying to understand how a mind can think of such vengeful acts, carefully tend to each detail of murder and pull the trigger more than 3o times to kill 8 people. Then even hope let alone believe they were smart enough to get away with it.

The more I think about the ‘video recording device’, the more I believe such a device was implanted inside at least one residence. I vaguely recall DeWine mentioning the W’s “studied layouts” of the homes.
I don’t have an available link, but Iirc, he used “studied layouts”.

Sad to say that in all probability the arrests brought some relief but the family has to be feeing the anticipated hearings and trials.

The evidence especially the photovevidence is going to be very stressful for them to see. Testimony, autopsy results,?toxicology results and discriptions of their deaths will be hard to hear. Most of the death we experience in our lives is natural, the result of illness or even shocking as an accident.

Death by gunshot is violent, and not normally expected in a rural area. Multiply that by 8 and it’s beyond my imagination how these people can cope. Of course the youngest at 16 was violently denied the right to begin his life. He, by all rights, should have had 60 years to live. Hell not graduate high school, may never have attended a dance or prom, will never be married, have the live if a wife or know how the live of a child is the most pure and innocent one can feel.

I can’t write anymore about what the 8 Rhodens will never have or experience.

But I can say it was not a decision the Waggies had a minute right to make. They might have felt entitled, but they are not God. God is the only entity tasked with life and death.

And as far as I’m concerned the decision that began this murderius rampage was wrong as well. They had no right to assume possession of SW. a judge has the legal right to make that determination. Not anyone with the last name Waggie.

As time goes on, I think t stimony may prove that the rumors are correct that they coerced the bio mom of BW to give up custody. I can’t recall where I read that, but it was early on.

DeWine was correct, the motive and most of this case is bizarre. It’s sad and excessively emotional. I think while most people understand the reason for the murders, none of us can justify killing one person let alone 8. And even unthinkable is the sheer absurdity of aiming a gun and pulling the trigger to kill 8 people is far beyond our reality.

If found guilty, the only suitable place to house them is death row. If found guilty, and death is the penalty, 12 people’s lives will be gone. Not one of which had to die.

I’m trying to imagine what local historians might write about this chapter in Pike County history. Will they be honest and ris the Waggies having to be as crazy and heinous as the crime itself? I don’t know. They may write about the life choices each family made. But can history adequately describe the innocent survivors?

I can only hope that each person who knew the Rhodens who feel the mental anguish of losing so may theyknew and loved, are able to invite mental health professionals into their lives to learn the best ways to cope.

As far as I know there is e nothing I have seen or found explaining a tragedy such as this. Other than the horrible murders on the commercial fishing boat THE INVESTOR IN Craig, Alaska, I haven’t read of anything close in numbers alone. Two children, their pregnant mother, theirvfather the Captain and owner and several deckhands died by gunshot in 1982. Shortly after the Kenai lying the vessel was moved to a cove close to town and burned with the bodies to the waterline

A man was arrested and due to prosecutorial error he was not convicted.

It left a mark in the community and all of Alaska for many years. People did not cope well with it and to this day brings intense negative emotions. I had hoped st the time for history never to repeat itself yet here we are trying to understand how a mind can think of such vengeful acts, carefully tend to each detail of murder and pull the trigger more than 3o times to kill 8 people. Then even hope let alone believe they were smart enough to get away with it.

Sadly, Charlie, There’s a lot of multi- victim crimes. Here’s some:

List of rampage killers (familicides in the United States) - Wikipedia

Do we know of any previous relationship JW had?
I’ve not heard of any.
Again, I think “puppy love”. I think she may have been his first gf & he was head over heels. But, we all know, it’s not love & does not last. IMO, both were too young for such an “adult” type relationship.
Since he didn’t attend school, he probably didn’t have access to as may girls as a male student would. IMO
A lot of kids of dating age are involved in school sports & tend to date like minded. Football player + cheerleader.

I've never heard of any previous relationships for him. Probably not. He doesn't seem like he has any real experience at life. Kinda hard to, I'd imagine, in that family. I think they tried to do to HR what they did to GW4s exwife. I think she may have had a poor support system and thought she couldn't fight the Ws. Maybe she knew how dangerous it would be for her personally if she refused to give up custody. I wonder if her son is with her now? I hope he is at least spending some time with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez