OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a legitimate idea here...but personally, I can't imagine anything the Rhodens had that was worth millions somebody over. Unless the killers were lead to believe that there were 10's of thousands of dollars hidden in one of the homes. Didn't find anything in one home, move on to the next. Rumors about hidden money would certainly motivate somebody to rob the place, but that could have been done when nobody was home, and it isn't likely family members could be a 100% sure that "Lee" is the ONLY person who could have robbed us. No different than being robbed in town as in the country. Unemployment as high as it is there, each family member could have named two or more people who"might" have broken in and robbed them.

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt sleep. I started typing a theory and before I was able to post it my phone died! Im going to try to retype it lol - Here is goes.... What if they took the trailers to lure the killer to that location? What if the killers were looking for something specific that night? They started at one house tried to find it and threaten the others at gunpoint to disclose the location of the specific thing. They went from house to house searching for it. Did they find what they were looking for? Maybe not - if they were willing to kill 8 people over this then what would prevent them from coming back to try and get it later if it wasnt found? Maybe far fetched and maybe I was just half asleep but it made perfect sense to me at 3:00 this morning. Just had to try and get this out of my head lol

That thought has crossed my mind several times. Killers like to return to the scene of the crime, don't they? It could be that they thought the homes contained large amounts of cash. Especially if that money was earned in any illegal activities.

You have a legitimate idea here...but personally, I can't imagine anything the Rhodens had that was worth millions somebody over. Unless the killers were lead to believe that there were 10's of thousands of dollars hidden in one of the homes. Didn't find anything in one home, move on to the next. Rumors about hidden money would certainly motivate somebody to rob the place, but that could have been done when nobody was home, and it isn't likely family members could be a 100% sure that "Lee" is the ONLY person who could have robbed us. No different than being robbed in town as in the country. Unemployment as high as it is there, each family member could have named two or more people who"might" have broken in and robbed them.

I've wondered about someone thinking large amounts of cash could be hidden in a house. Considering CR1 came up with about $30,000 cash when he bought DR's property, that isn't far fetched. This crime happened only about a month later.

I still wonder if Chris actually paid $30,000.00 cash down. It might have been written up that way to insure he could get a loan. He was a talented carpenter, and mechanic. He could have been asked to build the sellers a large storage bldg or garage, or any number of things, for say, $10,000.00. And maybe they gave him another few thousand for a good second car or pickup. Since the property was sold by an individual, and not a realty agency, they could have worked out something so he didn't have to pay that much actual cash for the down payment. Guess we'll never know for certain.

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt sleep. I started typing a theory and before I was able to post it my phone died! Im going to try to retype it lol - Here is goes.... What if they took the trailers to lure the killer to that location? What if the killers were looking for something specific that night? They started at one house tried to find it and threaten the others at gunpoint to disclose the location of the specific thing. They went from house to house searching for it. Did they find what they were looking for? Maybe not - if they were willing to kill 8 people over this then what would prevent them from coming back to try and get it later if it wasnt found? Maybe far fetched and maybe I was just half asleep but it made perfect sense to me at 3:00 this morning. Just had to try and get this out of my head lol

It's a thought, but, it would probably be easier, and much cheaper, to just put in a silent alarm in each trailer, board them up, and have a patrol car be fairly nearby. Other counties could probably have even assisted w/that as at least one of the homes is considered in Adams County, and another in Scioto County.

It's a thought, but, it would probably be easier, and much cheaper, to just put in a silent alarm in each trailer, board them up, and have a patrol car be fairly nearby. Other counties could probably have even assisted w/that as at least one of the homes is considered in Adams County, and another in Scioto County.

That wouldn't work for arson....

No, but if they had patrolled the areas w/the help of the other two counties, it may have deterred arson. No other homes can be ripped from their foundations to prevent arson either. As they sit, they can't be stopped from arson right now, from the way the news article read. Have a video guy go in and film the entire insides of the trailer doing a walk through from a juror's perspective. It's nearly unheard of that juror's have the actual home's to traipse through. What if it's years before they find the assailant(s)? What are they going to do? Just leave them sitting there, and never let the family retrieve anything? Some stolen items of ours was taken as evidence in a home robbery and we never did get them back. They're still sitting in an evidence room up town somewhere and that was 40 years ago!

No, but if they had patrolled the areas w/the help of the other two counties, it may have deterred arson. No other homes can be ripped from their foundations to prevent arson either. As they sit, they can't be stopped from arson right now, from the way the news article read. Have a video guy go in and film the entire insides of the trailer doing a walk through from a juror's perspective. It's nearly unheard of that juror's have the actual home's to traipse through. What if it's years before they find the assailant(s)? What are they going to do? Just leave them sitting there, and never let the family retrieve anything? Some stolen items of ours was taken as evidence in a home robbery and we never did get them back. They're still sitting in an evidence room up town somewhere and that was 40 years ago!

Since LE has to inventory evidence, did they inventory everything in these homes? Also, how would anyone know if something is missing. The only people who knew for sure what was in the homes are not around to ask.

I don't know much about security systems or silent alarms, but wouldn't they alert if the house started filling up with smoke? If I'm not mistaken, I think the newer types would alert for smoke. Anybody?

Why have they not shown anything to back up their claims? That does not help credibility, either....

maybe keeping it hidden until trial or for grand jury? i really got no idea about if evidence like mc's.

I believe we did the numbers, I know I did in regards to the cost of moving the mobile homes and the camper compared to paying officers to guard them 24/7 in a police force of 13, covering 760 some square miles in the county, iirc. There's definetly dna of the victims in the mobiles also evidence of dragging of bodies or body in CRsr's. Who knows what else. They hold what evidence there is. Maybe they have different bullets, shell casings, trajectory evidence that gave them a possible count of suspects? Guns used? Blood splatter or writing on the walls? They can prove how they entered with evidence from the windows or doors. Footprint from walking in blood? Gosh, all kinds of things come to mind. Maybe circumstantial but the homes would hold lots of info. jmo

Since LE has to inventory evidence, did they inventory everything in these homes? Also, how would anyone know if something is missing. The only people who knew for sure what was in the homes are not around to ask.

Idk, but the Rhodens can't close things out properly til they can get in there and get records and such out. LE is supposed to inventory everything but who knows? The few things they had of ours, when my family went up to ask about them, quite a while later, the items were still sitting in the sack, covered in dust, in a corner, and they wouldn't release them. It wasn't but a few items the robbers had dropped on their way out, when we walked in on them, but they said they could lift prints. Well, it's been 40 years and I guess they're sitting up there in that pillow sack waiting for those prints to be lifted. I just think that hindsight is 20/20 and in hindsight it probably wasn't the best decision to move the trailers. The AG said all of the evidence that they had was locked away separately. With the software available today, it would be so easy to replicate the crime scene from a video and photos. Much cheaper too.

I don't know much about security systems or silent alarms, but wouldn't they alert if the house started filling up with smoke? If I'm not mistaken, I think the newer types would alert for smoke. Anybody?

Yes, the newer ones have smoke alerts that get sent out too. Also, if someone went in to start the fire, it would trip the silent alarm. It would be much cheaper than the $12grand to move them, to have that installed. I'd say neighbors on that road would have their antennas up for any odd stuff going on as well. I would.

I understand what you mean rsd but how can you trust the neighbors to hear or notify about anything in this case? They could be afraid or may not hear anything. It could or could not be dangerous to speak up. Taking a security system would be almost obvious. The dvr is important with hard drive, cameras not so much unless maybe deer cameras, not familar with those. A cloud backup is better!

I see pros and cons on each move the LE have made. They know more than I do.

Idk, but the Rhodens can't close things out properly til they can get in there and get records and such out. LE is supposed to inventory everything but who knows? The few things they had of ours, when my family went up to ask about them, quite a while later, the items were still sitting in the sack, covered in dust, in a corner, and they wouldn't release them. It wasn't but a few items the robbers had dropped on their way out, when we walked in on them, but they said they could lift prints. Well, it's been 40 years and I guess they're sitting up there in that pillow sack waiting for those prints to be lifted. I just think that hindsight is 20/20 and in hindsight it probably wasn't the best decision to move the trailers. The AG said all of the evidence that they had was locked away separately. With the software available today, it would be so easy to replicate the crime scene from a video and photos. Much cheaper too.

My neighbor had a utility trailer stolen. It was located and in police custody for months before they got it back even though they needed it for their business. If they keep these homes and contents until the case goes through the court system, it could be years... I can't wait till this ordeal is on Dateline NBC and the movie is made. I'm sure that will happen.

With the rural location, would the fire department get there soon enough to save mobile homes? They usually burn extremely fast. Hopefully the logic behind their decisions will come out eventually and it will make sense.

These days they can do a 3D scan of rooms and make it into virtual reality views. Seems like that would be easier than what they have done...

I understand what you mean rsd but how can you trust the neighbors to hear or notify about anything in this case? They could be afraid or may not hear anything. It could or could not be dangerous to speak up. Taking a security system would be almost obvious. The dvr is important with hard drive, cameras not so much unless maybe deer cameras, not familar with those. A cloud backup is better!

I see pros and cons on each move the LE have made. They know more than I do.

The system that one of my kin has doesn't have anything to show that he even has a security system. He punches in a code when he leaves and if someone breaks in, a silent alarm is sent to the company and 911 is notified. After reading the article, it seems that if they were that afraid that the trailers would be burned down, why have they been left unguarded at the lot where they are at? Anyone could burn all four of them down much easier, with them sitting side by side, in that lot. Unguarded. Even if they stuck a guard out there, these are folks who murdered eight people, in their homes, as they slept, do you think, if the murderers think, that's there's damning evidence in those trailers, that they'd not murder a guard, and burn down those trailers in that lot? I feel like they'd have zero problem with it all. That storage site is located in a fairly un-populated area and they could come in the back way and be gone before the fire trucks arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove