OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this is GJ that meets in secret. Witnesses are not allowed to have their lawyer present. They can subpoena pretty much anyone they wish. Witnesses must answer all questions.

A few weeks ago, I asked our WS member who is an attorney about the GJ questioning and she verified that a GJ can ask questions about anything. It doesn't have to be related to the charges at hand (in JM's case, destroying government property). So, yes, the GJ could ask JM and anyone other witness they call, questions about the Rhoden murders, drug dealing, anything.

That is why I think it is JM doing the talking. That and all of AM's relatives ending up with a funding drug trafficking charge. Then there is the "specific focus" on the W's.

Yes, this is GJ that meets in secret. Witnesses are not allowed to have their lawyer present. They can subpoena pretty much anyone they wish. Witnesses must answer all questions.

A few weeks ago, I asked our WS member who is an attorney about the GJ questioning and she verified that a GJ can ask questions about anything. It doesn't have to be related to the charges at hand (in JM's case, destroying government property). So, yes, the GJ could ask JM and anyone other witness they call, questions about the Rhoden murders, drug dealing, anything.
Witnesses can assert their Fifth Amendment right instead of answering questions.

I'm not sure that it means anything, but several of the people picked up and jailed a few nights ago (dc, cg, bh, bl, dm, br, cs, js, cw (w)) have had "corrupt activity" added to the charges and bails set that are kind of all over the place but seem high for this area. The "corrupt activity" is a strange charge to me, but i don't deal with the legal system often so I'm really clueless. Seems almost like a "rico" charge to me.

http://wp2.pikecosheriff.com/?page_id=893

I keep reading about JW wanting HR to sign over custody of S...does anyone know when that occurred? Is there a link to some more info about that?
Just searched and couldn't find any that he was asking her sign off her rights, just to make the shared custody legal.

That may be just speculation at this point. People here are trying to brainstorm what could have caused some last minute problem that set off a violent conflict resulting in the deaths of the Rhoden family. It's based on many recent FB posts and other activity by families just prior to the murders.

Speculation has also considered that Dana R and Chris Sr had purchased Dana's new home as a way to keep the W family from pursuing permanent custody of SR. Getting a new place where mom and kids had their own rooms, nice environment, etc. DR had been posting photos on her FB account getting the place fixed up, looking nice. Some are guessing that W's were going to make a custody case by saying the previous home was not a good environment.

LOL, he finally admitted it. Oy. :facepalm:

Their new AK neighbors have been all over the news media talking about the W family living down the street. They've done everything except posting selfies of themselves with the W family.

I'm not sure that it means anything, but several of the people picked up and jailed a few nights ago (dc, cg, bh, bl, dm, br, cs, js, cw (w)) have had "corrupt activity" added to the charges and bails set that are kind of all over the place but seem high for this area. The "corrupt activity" is a strange charge to me, but i don't deal with the legal system often so I'm really clueless. Seems almost like a "rico" charge to me.

Yes it does sound a little RICO-ish

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.32

2923.32 Engaging in pattern of corrupt activity.

(A)

(1) No person employed by, or associated with, any enterprise shall conduct or participate in, directly or indirectly, the affairs of the enterprise through a pattern of corrupt activity or the collection of an unlawful debt.

(2) No person, through a pattern of corrupt activity or the collection of an unlawful debt, shall acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in, or control of, any enterprise or real property.

(3) No person, who knowingly has received any proceeds derived, directly or indirectly, from a pattern of corrupt activity or the collection of any unlawful debt, shall use or invest, directly or indirectly, any part of those proceeds, or any proceeds derived from the use or investment of any of those proceeds, in the acquisition of any title to, or any right, interest, or equity in, real property or in the establishment or operation of any enterprise.

A purchase of securities on the open market with intent to make an investment, without intent to control or participate in the control of the issuer, and without intent to assist another to do so is not a violation of this division, if the securities of the issuer held after the purchase by the purchaser, the members of the purchaser's immediate family, and the purchaser's or the immediate family members' accomplices in any pattern of corrupt activity or the collection of an unlawful debt do not aggregate one per cent of the outstanding securities of any one class of the issuer and do not confer, in law or in fact, the power to elect one or more directors of the issuer.

More at link above

Wonder what "enterprise" these people were connected with? IIRC, these are people living in mobile homes, etc. right? They don't seem like "investors" in business enterprise, right? Strange.

Witnesses can assert their Fifth Amendment right instead of answering questions.

From what I've read, they can't do that easily. IIRC from the link, it's subject to a judge's ruling. If the judge thinks they should answer, they have to answer. No defense lawyers present. GJ is very different from a trial, which may or may not come later.

Some of my memory on this is based on GJ proceedings from other crimes discussed here at WS, including the investigation of the disappearance of Kyron Hormon.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.32 Collecting illegal debt. Those are some large bail numbers....

(1) No person employed by, or associated with, any enterprise shall conduct or participate in, directly or indirectly, the affairs of the enterprise through a pattern of corrupt activity or the collection of an unlawful debt.
(2) No person, through a pattern of corrupt activity or the collection of an unlawful debt, shall acquire or maintain, directly or indirectly, any interest in, or control of, any enterprise or real property.
(3) No person, who knowingly has received any proceeds derived, directly or indirectly, from a pattern of corrupt activity or the collection of any unlawful debt, shall use or invest, directly or indirectly, any part of those proceeds, or any proceeds derived from the use or investment of any of those proceeds, in the acquisition of any title to, or any right, interest, or equity in, real property or in the establishment or operation of any enterprise.

I hope he's playing dumb and not really dumb enough to not know where they are. But then it may be a secret that they know where they are. Everything else is a secret...

She may be developmentally disabled and have the emotional maturity of a much younger person (like a 12-year-old) and not an adult. This can happen when unborn children are exposed to alcohol, drugs, or syphilis. (No, I don't know that she was exposed to those. I only know her dad said she had the mind of a child.)

I thought he said "heart of a child'?

LOL, he finally admitted it. Oy. :facepalm:

Their new AK neighbors have been all over the news media talking about the W family living down the street. They've done everything except posting selfies of themselves with the W family.

BBM

:floorlaugh:

Yes it does sound a little RICO-ish

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.32

More at link above

Wonder what "enterprise" these people were connected with? IIRC, these are people living in mobile homes, etc. right? They don't seem like "investors" in business enterprise, right? Strange.

I'm not in the lawyerin bizness but I think that ya'll are correct about that leaning toward RICO. If so, it could be something like blackmail/bribery, laundering money, or obstruction of justice. Obstruction of justice can also be blackmail and bribery, but toss in murder, threatening to burn your granny's house down if you don't do something your told to, etc...only it's against witnesses, LE, people working in positions of the law, etc...

It is mighty interesting who posted bail for one of the them. The interconnections are endless in that area it would seem.

It is mighty interesting who posted bail for one of the them. The interconnections are endless in that area it would seem.

Do you have a link for finding who posted bail? I can't find one. TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I've read, they can't do that easily. IIRC from the link, it's subject to a judge's ruling. If the judge thinks they should answer, they have to answer. No defense lawyers present. GJ is very different from a trial, which may or may not come later.

Some of my memory on this is based on GJ proceedings from other crimes discussed here at WS, including the investigation of the disappearance of Kyron Hormon.

I think, and again, I'm not in the lawyerin' bizness, but yes, you must answer all questions, as you are appearing as a witness, however, you don't have to answer anything that would self-incriminate you. The more cooperative you can be, with a grand jury, is to your benefit, I do believe. GJs are completely different animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsIris1127