OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that table, BettyP!

It seems to be a trend. Even with the U. S. adding all of their surveillance, and tech stuff, seems they can't quite get a handle on things, like they did in the olden days.

From 1965 to 1970 there were 69,335 homicides with 80.67% solved, nationwide (about .04% of the population based on 1965 U.S. population.)

From 2011 to 2016 there were 89,884 homicides with 58.30% solved, nationwide. (about .03% of the population based on 2011, U.S. population)

Ky had
1,483 homicides, from 1965 to 1970 with an 85% solve rate.
1,162 homicides, from 2011 to 2016 with a 68.6% solve rate.

(Murders went down but so did solve rates.)

I read an article some time ago, and I've wondered if this could be the thinking behind many LE departments, and if so, could it explain some of the JJs we have running around out here? Just something I've thought about over time.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

The way those numbers look, there is nothing like good 'ol detective work like they used to do. I wonder if the problem now is all the tech stuff is allowing them to back off the detective work. If the tech stuff don't solve the case they don't think anything else will, either....

The way those numbers look, there is nothing like good 'ol detective work like they used to do. I wonder if the problem now is all the tech stuff is allowing them to back off the detective work. If the tech stuff don't solve the case they don't think anything else will, either....

BBM
That's what I'm wondering, along with the getting "bored" theory.

Just checking in to see if we'd heard from Reader's big announcement. I've not seen anything yet. Just checked the Sheriff's FB and did a quick Google, but didn't see much.

Just checking in to see if we'd heard from Reader's big announcement. I've not seen anything yet. Just checked the Sheriff's FB and did a quick Google, but didn't see much.

Reader has been pushing hard for a jail so I have a feeling this will be his big announcement along with his year in review. The jail inmate list is still not up on the sheriff site,the longest I have ever seen it down before has been 1 day, not sure what that is all about.

It would be a mistake on the part of LE to only lean on the technical part of things. They would miss out on the human responses from anyone they would have talked to otherwise. At this point I have little faith in the whole lot of them.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Just rummaging around and found this article from the Chillicothe Gazette that summarizes what happened (and didn't) on the Rhoden family murder case in 2017

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...ure-but-not-arrests-rhoden-murders/964078001/

Junk & DeWine say the same thing, but it sounds like Reader disagrees.
JLR had a big enough drug charge he should be in prison for it. What happened to that? If I were criminally inclined I would move to Ohio.

JLR had a big enough drug charge he should be in prison for it. What happened to that? If I were criminally inclined I would move to Ohio.

The theory is the pressure is applied and charges are dropped in exchange for their testimony in the secret grand jury. Apparently, they're not getting much out of the GJ proceedings as most of these arrests happened months ago and no arrests for the murders has followed. Going on 2 years now and they supposedly don't have enough of anything yet. Some would say that's the hallmark of a crime committed by an out of town group of pros. The actual killers were not known to anyone local, only the people who requested the hit.

Just rummaging around and found this article from the Chillicothe Gazette that summarizes what happened (and didn't) on the Rhoden family murder case in 2017

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...ure-but-not-arrests-rhoden-murders/964078001/

Junk & DeWine say the same thing, but it sounds like Reader disagrees.

It is a shame but I think this case is not going to be solved anytime soon. But I continue to believe the W's and JM and AM are all in it up to their ears. I am not sure about JR and his neighbor, but where Oxycontin/Oxycodene is involved I can see an entire family being killed over it.

JMO

For the charge he got, he'd likely serve little time.

Another case seemingly dropped case was against Josh L. Rhoden, 39, who had been charged with aggravated drug trafficking for allegedly selling prescription pills. His neighbor, John McJunkin, 64, also was charged at the time for possession of oxycodone, but his case also was dropped and hasn't been indicted.

It was an aggravated drug trafficking charge, and with his neighbor also being charged with possession of oxy, I'd guess he was selling oxy. It may have also been hard to prove he was trafficking.

Oxy is a schedule II drug, and since the other dude had Oxy, I'm guessing Rhoden had Oxy also. Aggravated Trafficking of a schedule I or II drug, is usually a felony in the fourth degree. The most he would get, especially since he was a first time offender, would be 6-18 months and/or a $5k fine.

From looking at the public records, it appears he may have been given probation b/c he was in court for twice after this charge, and his probation officer gave him one year probation, and 40 hours of community service for the last one, in May of 2017 (traffic charges).

Ohio Felony Penalties
https://www.ohiocrimelawyer.com/services/criminal-defense/felonies/125-ohio-felony-penalties

The theory is the pressure is applied and charges are dropped in exchange for their testimony in the secret grand jury. Apparently, they're not getting much out of the GJ proceedings as most of these arrests happened months ago and no arrests for the murders has followed. Going on 2 years now and they supposedly don't have enough of anything yet. Some would say that's the hallmark of a crime committed by an out of town group of pros. The actual killers were not known to anyone local, only the people who requested the hit.

If it was a hired hit, I do believe that someone local, and very well known to them, took out the hit.

I have thought this since this happened. An out of state, or even out of country, squad could have been given addresses, etc.. They could look them up on Google Maps and get the layout of the roads and see what the properties look like. They could get directions and drive times from house to house from there, too. They could get info from Facebook pages, also. This info could have been provided by someone in a large organization that has gotten involved in local "businesses" to give feed back to the large organization as to competition and/or possible problems that might disrupt things. The killers could have been out of state by the time anyone was discovered. They made absolutely sure no one would survive with the multiple head shots. The only exception to that was KR and I'm not convinced that was not an unrelated crime committed by someone who knew the others were going to happen, or did happen already. Remember, DS already knew the other murders had happened when he called the police to report KR was murdered.

The above are just rambling thoughts of mine and in no way based on facts.

I have thought this since this happened. An out of state, or even out of country, squad could have been given addresses, etc.. They could look them up on Google Maps and get the layout of the roads and see what the properties look like. They could get directions and drive times from house to house from there, too. They could get info from Facebook pages, also. This info could have been provided by someone in a large organization that has gotten involved in local "businesses" to give feed back to the large organization as to competition and/or possible problems that might disrupt things. The killers could have been out of state by the time anyone was discovered. They made absolutely sure no one would survive with the multiple head shots. The only exception to that was KR and I'm not convinced that was not an unrelated crime committed by someone who knew the others were going to happen, or did happen already. Remember, DS already knew the other murders had happened when he called the police to report KR was murdered.

The above are just rambling thoughts of mine and in no way based on facts.

Out of town hit job was the theory of most (non Ohio) LE & professionals early in the investigation. Kind of a no-brainer considering the grow op and the prevalence of so much drug trafficking in that region. LE , most news media, etc. pushed the message that it was "locals". On social media, there's been a big push to frame the "family" network, but LE is having a difficult time selling that theory after so long.

I really think some folks thought everyone would forget about the story, but fortunately that hasn't happened. We need to push harder to see if we can get someone from outside Ohio to come in and do a story on the murders. Hard to do, I have a feeling some powerful people are warning them off, telling them it will interfere with the investigation, etc.

If it was a hired hit, I do believe that someone local, and very well known to them, took out the hit.

Agree. They either called in the hit or they passed along information to people more powerful who made the call.
Those same locals probably passed along the necessary information about the families that a hit squad would need to plan the whole thing. A LOT of planning likely went into these killings. As the former DEA agent said early on, someone likely watched them in the weeks ahead, figuring out when they got up, went to bed, went to work, etc.

Even though the killings were done in 4 different homes, with multiple victims at each, not one person was able to grab their cell phone to call 911. Many of the victims were very active on social media. They slept with their cell phones nearby. Those killers got "lucky" 4 times in a row in 4 different homes, within a short period of time.

Also, as far as we know, no victim was able to shoot back. CRSr, GR, FR and KR likely slept with guns by their beds, due to the nature of the business they were in. Not one was able to return fire. CRSr fought back, was badly beaten, but where was his gun? How was he not able to get to his gun to use it?

I just do not see CR1 & KR as big threats to the drug business, nor do I see them as major growers. I think they had a bunch of seedlings, started inside, and were going to sex them as they grew, so that would take down the number that they had, in the end. Hence, start more seedlings. Look at what has been busted around them. These folks have to know these big operations are around. I never sold drugs but, in my running days, I knew who did. There was more than enough turf for everyone even in my small town. I'll admit, they did bust a couple who surprised me, but, most folks who get out and about, know or at the very least, suspect, who is at the top of the food chain. The top of the food chain isn't worrying about pot growers. It's cheap and you have a select clientele, if you deal only in pot. We've not seen slaughters of any major pot growers, but we've seen arrests.

One of my theories, still, is that, possibly, the Rs got too close to an old friend in wolf's clothing (and employer) and found out too much, and, may have pushed to get a piece of their pie (or else). The Rs ended up getting the "or esle" though. That individual has fingers in a whole bunch of pies and flaunts a s/o, while I'm pretty sure that person is married. The person is into car lots, a campground, music, other LLCs w/other folks, and seems to be other ventures. All the killers needed is some practice, driving around the countryside, if they weren't from here, and maybe a familiar face, getting inside (and the trail cams, if in fact there were actual trail cams). As for a hired killer, I doubt they'd have to look too far beyond their own contacts and/or business partners. A campground with empty cabins. :thinking: What a perfect place to have visitors drop in to enjoy the beauty of Appalachia. Dude gives off a sketchy vibe to me.

I have been thinking that maybe the killers were already set up as welcomed visitors in at least 2 of the crimes scenes awaiting the "go" instructions. That would explain a couple of the puzzles that have been discussed.

My train of thought also. A person who would hire the hit would have to be someone with deep pockets,as having 8 people executed would not come cheap.
Also I am sure it was more than 1 hitman so the payment would be split up.
I read a month or so ago about a hit in Toronto and the fellow was hired for 25000, now I am not aware of going rate to have a person murdered, but thought I would pass this along. I think any local that had a axe to grind or a sketchy back ground or drug addiction could be hired much cheaper.

If the murders were a hired hit, the killers did not necessarily have to get cash. If a hit, the killers could have done the murders to settle a debt of their own. I just don't think these murders were hired. What I keep coming back to is that Chris Sr's branch of the family tree, except for the 4 grandchildren, was wiped out.

My train of thought also. A person who would hire the hit would have to be someone with deep pockets,as having 8 people executed would not come cheap.
Also I am sure it was more than 1 hitman so the payment would be split up.
I read a month or so ago about a hit in Toronto and the fellow was hired for 25000, now I am not aware of going rate to have a person murdered, but thought I would pass this along. I think any local that had a axe to grind or a sketchy back ground or drug addiction could be hired much cheaper.

I agree, the paid murder of Dan Markel in Florida appears to have cost at least $100,000: the driver was promised $35,000, the woman who was the go-between got about $60,000, I haven't seen what the shooter was paid.

That was the classic modus operandi for a paid hit: the victim was followed driving his car, when he pulled into his somewhat secluded driveway the shooter ran up, shot point blank, ran back into his car and the driver took off. If you're willing to kill just for money, that's how you do it. Keep it simple and make sure you can get away quickly.

Even so, the killers of Dan Markel weren't 'professional' hit men, they were just guys with criminal records willing to do it for money, who were hired through personal connections. They weren't advertising themselves as hitmen for hire.

If the murders were a hired hit, the killers did not necessarily have to get cash. If a hit, the killers could have done the murders to settle a debt of their own. I just don't think these murders were hired. What I keep coming back to is that Chris Sr's branch of the family tree, except for the 4 grandchildren, was wiped out.

I keep coming back to that too. It's in my top three. I agree that someone could have been in one or two of those homes, possibly as drop-in guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member