OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk will only say that investigators remain focused on a former Peebles family of four who had ties to the Rhoden family but moved last year to Alaska.”

“He said authorities are not looking at anyone else in the April 22, 2016 slayings.
Two agents from the state’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation and a member of the Pike County Sheriff’s office remain assigned to the case full-time and work out of an office in the county,”Junk said.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...investigation-stands-after-2-years/531686002/

Personally, this statement bothers me for two reasons. If they have tunnel vision and are not considering anyone else, that is not good. Also, if they have decided the Ws are guilty and are trying to make the evidence fit, that is not good either. I have a hard time thinking JW was involved for various reasons but I can't say that about his brother or father. His conflicting statements do bother me. I do hope the guilty are prosecuted and convicted no matter who they are...

IMO, JW picked her up, JMO. Could be why there is an issue with having 2 of 3 things needed to bring charges as Junk said. JMO but if JW picked S up, he could have went out of his way to make sure his DNA was all over that house so if/when it was found, he could explain why. If they have his DNA, say in Hanna’s bed or on her door, his excuse could be “well when I was picking Sophia up, I asked to see the new baby. The baby was asleep in Hanna’s room so I went in there, where I sat on the bed and held her”

That could be the farthest thing from the truth, but it’s just a thought. I do think the DA is needing 2 of 3 things because they HAVE the forensic evidence needed BUT the killer(s) has/had reason to be in those homes and in close contact with the victims so the forensic evidence is easily explained away and validated by a DEFENSE attorney.

In other words, they have 1 of the 3 things they need for an indictment and trial. But further information is needed from the remaining 2 items to secure a conviction.

My ears perked up when the statement was made saying that the Wagner’s remain a focus of the investigation and are the only suspects thus far (paraphrasing). It’s been months and months since their names popped up in the media with their homes being searched...if the DA didn’t have anything on them, they’d have been cleared by now.

Yes, it seems significant that Junk is saying that. We have to keep in mind there were other killers involved, as LE has alleged. Their is probably some evidence of their presence, too,if LE was looking for it. Or are they still working to connect the other killers to JW and the W family?

Because of the other killings (including the outlier KR) and the unique wounds to CR1, there was most likely another reason besides the custody/jealousy issue between HR and JW. With the alleged "falling out" between CR1 and GW, and the likelihood of drugs/MJ business, I'm still going with the W's being involved in calling in experienced, hired killers or rogue LE. Still possible that CR1, in anger over the custody battle, threatened the W family business in some way, resulting in someone arranging a "hit" on the R's.

If they've been talking to Manleys in GJ proceedings, they would have learned by now that they didn't know who the hired killers were or that a hit was planned. The arrests of so many ne'er do wells in the region probably hasn't produced a forensic match to the crime scene. JMO that's the connection they're still looking for - evidence connecting the hired killers to the scene and to the W family and/or their business associates.

JMO

Personally, this statement bothers me for two reasons. If they have tunnel vision and are not considering anyone else, that is not good. Also, if they have decided the Ws are guilty and are trying to make the evidence fit, that is not good either. I have a hard time thinking JW was involved for various reasons but I can't say that about his brother or father. His conflicting statements do bother me. I do hope the guilty are prosecuted and convicted no matter who they are...

I agree 100%. Perhaps this statement was made to subconsciously encourage OTHERS who may be the murderers to let their guard down. If another party believes LE has their sights set on someone else, maybe that will cause someone to slip up. I pray investigators don’t have tunnel vision and aren’t trying to make the evidence fit the W’s.

Old article. But it’s always interesting to look back and compare people’s words to their actions.

WORDS

6e5abdc38432baecb7f5256598735da1.jpg

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...s-all-weve-got-left-just-those-kids/85231530/

ACTIONS
5c04ae660fd48d077a58fac34da628e1.jpg

RSBM

It is very ODD that it took so long to execute searches of their property. Way too long. We can assume that any evidence that could have potentially been at the W property early on had since been disposed of or destroyed by the time their property was searched. Did we ever find out what that 5th search warrant was for early on?

After watching the Sierah Joaghin trial, I learned a little more about how BCI operates. From my understanding, their evidence and findings are fluid between other investigating agencies involved.

I feel like he’s saying it would be a miracle to find any remaining evidence in the trailers so basically the question of chain of custody will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Someone’s conscious will get the best of them. Or someone will brag about their heinous actions to the wrong person. What’s done in the dark always comes to light.

Respectfully snipped by me for focus

Re 5th search warrant: IDK. The only SWs we know they issued were for the W farm, the Peeble area farm where JW's truck was stored and the Flying W farm.

DeWine usually responds to local crimes for a few reasons:

- Like the Sierah Joaghin case, to assist local LE with the investigation when they don't have the skills and special tools to do it on their own. As you note, it was cooperative, with local LE in charge with help from BCI.

- To offer some assistance when called in and to burnish the reputation of BCI. They do this sometimes in cases in the big cities where locals have the skills and tools and are already working with FBI, DOJ, etc. Example: Serial kidnapper and child rapist Justin Christian who was tracked and caught by local Cleveland & Lorain, OH LE and FBI, who had BCI/AG get approval to use familial DNA to get a SW for the rapist. In big cases, Cleveland area LE often just rely on the FBI.

- To assist and do political damage control in controversial crimes. Example: 1) Steubenville rape case when the high school football team gang raped girls and posted video to social media; 2) the murder of a black man, John Crawford III, by local police in a Beavercreek, OH Walmart. Crawford was looking at a BB gun for sale in the store and video showed him lying on the floor begging for his life as police shot him. DeWine's daughter was the county prosecutor. He took over the case and closed it off from the news media until things blew over.

In the affadavits and deposition files of the Ohio Supreme Court case about the Rhoden autopsy reports & news media, the Pike County Coroner said that by the time he was in his car on the way to the crime scenes, BCI told him they had already taken charge of the investigation and began telling him what to do. From locking up the trailers to doing the redactions in the Rhoden autopsy reports, BCI has been in charge.

Re Junk's quote about storing the trailers: I hope he's right. He's the guy who has to prosecute the case, if it ever comes to that. The whole situation of locking up and moving the trailers is hinky. It's certainly interesting to hear so much from Junk. He's been really quiet in the news media about this case. Interesting he's speaking now, maybe DeWine asked him to.

All JMO

ETA: My guess for the Rhoden case is DeWine & BCI took over immediately for reasons of news media/political damage control. Like the John Cawford III case, they will sit on it until public attention wanes and it's politically safe to do something.

RSBM
Respectfully snipped by me for focus

Re 5th search warrant: IDK. The only SWs we know they issued were for the W farm, the Peeble area farm where JW's truck was stored and the Flying W farm.
I was just curious if that 5th initial search warrant that was sealed in the very beginning could have perhaps been linked to the W’s and we (the public) don’t know.

In the affadavits and deposition files of the Ohio Supreme Court case about the Rhoden autopsy reports & news media, the Pike County Coroner said that by the time he was in his car on the way to the crime scenes, BCI told him they had already taken charge of the investigation and began telling him what to do. From locking up the trailers to doing the redactions in the Rhoden autopsy reports, BCI has been in charge.

Unbelievable.

Re Junk's quote about storing the trailers: I hope he's right. The whole situation of locking up and moving the trailers is hinky. It's certainly interesting to hear so much from Junk. He's been really quiet in the news media about this case. Interesting he's speaking now, maybe DeWine asked him to.

All JMO

I can’t remember a case EVER where entire homes have been removed and locked up, let alone locked up indefinitely. It’s bizarre, to say the least. Junk has been very quiet. I’m not sure if DeWine asked him to speak or perhaps they’re not seeing eye to eye on this case. In either instance, I am glad that Junk did give an interview because it was insightful for sure.

ETA: My guess for the Rhoden case is DeWine & BCI took over immediately for reasons of news media/political damage control. Like the John Cawford III case, they will sit on it until public attention dies down and it's politically safe to do something.

This seriously disturbs me. It’s interesting to note that on top of LE not having the forensic capabilities in the Sierah Joaghin case, that James Worley had served time for a similar crime(s) and had been released. I wonder if that instance also played a part in BCI’s involvement in order to contain media because essentially the system failed Sierah by allowing this monster to be released to eventually kidnap and murder her.

That's interesting. We don't often hear from Rob Junk, but he's the one who is in charge of the Pike Co Grand Jury. They went through all the hoopla last year of arresting James Manley for taking the GPS tracker off his truck. Charges were dropped in lieu of him testifying before the JG. If Prosecutor Junk has been convening a GJ on this case since then, he must be discovering more information about the murders. If everyone in the area is afraid to talk about these murders, the GJ is the best way to find out what's going on as their testimony will remain secret unless charges are brought.

BBM

That's an interesting statement. What does he mean that information and/or evidence hasn't been publicly released? Is he saying someone in LE has that kind of information, but can't release it? Also unsettling is the remarks about "if and when someone is charged".

Just a hunch, but they may have more information than they're letting on, but they just won't act on it.

Interesting also that, of the two prosecutors working on the case, Junk is now willing to say something about it, but DeWine is staying silent. JMO, that means Junk is wanting to resolve the case more than DeWine. Just theorizing, but if Junk wants to bring charges and DeWine doesn't, what does that mean?

Remember, from reading the transcripts of the depositions in the Rhoden autopsy court case at the Supreme Court of Ohio, it was DeWine and BCI who were working the hardest, putting the most time and money into keeping the Rhoden massacre case zipped up and out of public view.

Given all that happened in the last year, I do think the Wagner family could be involved. I also think their extended family has more power and political pull to keep themselves from being arrested, JMO. (Wags grandparents are from Cincinnati "old money" and likely have powerful old friends; also connections through their religion, which counts A LOT in Ohio politics) The odd thing is that their connection to the case (custody issue, JW possibly being the last person to see HR before she died) should have brought them under scrutiny very quickly. Instead, investigators waited for over a year to make a move on them.

Sounds like Jake Wagner has moved on, with a new fiancee and all.

I wonder if BCI has been sharing all their evidence and information with PCSO & Junk? This has been DeWine's show all along. For better or worse, he owns this case now.

The remarks about moving the trailers twice are interesting. Junk seems to intimate that, even if any evidence found in them was not admissible, it wouldn't matter because they already have removed the evidence they need. Good grief. Who has faith that they got all the evidence they need when they can't solve the case after 2 years?

Ok. For better or worse, Junk is stuck with whatever quality work the BCI did on collecting evidence. Thank goodness they didn't ask the FBI to process (or even visit) the crime scenes. /s

JMO, this case is a major CF right now. The only way they're going to solve it is if the killer goes to the news media and confesses.
With this article, I'm beginning to sense some conflict between Pike County and DeWine's office.

:facepalm:

I feel even less optimistic than before that there will be justice for the Rhoden & Gilley families.

BBM

I don't feel hopeless yet. I might get discouraged some days, but, as GR's Dad said in that video, "It was laid out.". He knew something, about just how well planned this was, as early as GR's burial. Someone had told that man something.

The FBI and Homeland Security have been there. I'm not sure in what capacity now, but this was the Aug. 2016, update.

In an exclusive interview with The Enquirer last week, DeWine also said federal agencies, including Homeland Security, are working with the army of state and county investigators in an effort to solve the complex case, which this week will enter its fifth month without resolution. Agents with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and FBI have also been called in to help with the case, he said.

"The FBI has had some involvement, the DEA has had some involvement and that involvement is ongoing,'' he said during an hour-long interview at the Pike County Sheriff's Office. "Both agencies have assets and sometimes they have information that we do not have. And so it’s important for us to work closely with them and we will continue to do so. I know the FBI has been helpful, and contacts continue between our investigators and Homeland Security."

The below is true of my part of the region too:

DeWine did not offer further details on the probe that has baffled family members and perplexed this tight-knit community where families have roots dating back generations. It is a proud Appalachian culture that largely relies on its own, not often asking or seeking outside help. That leads many people here to be deeply suspicious of outsiders — including law enforcement.

DeWine hinted that culture might be slowing investigators' efforts.“I believe that there's information out there that somebody has in Pike County or people have in Pike County that might be helpful that we do not have yet,’’ DeWine said. “That’s not a criticism, it's just my guess."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/08/20/dewine-rhoden-killers-familiar-family/88957604/

JW; I can see him wanting to date again. He and HMR were together since she was about 14, and she practically lived there at the Ws, from what I've understood, even going on vacation with them and such. However, they'd been split since around the time she found she was expecting the new baby. She'd moved on with her life several months before the murders, and now that will be two years ago, tomorrow. Unless he's a psychopath, who would murder the mother of his child, and an infant who he wanted to be his child, while said infant was nestled next to her Momma? The baby could have been killed too. To me it's like ruling out little R's Momma. Who would leave their child there, except a psychopath, knowing that a horrible thing was going to happen that night, and their child could potentially be killed during the attacks. I've not ruled out the Ws bc of one of my earlier reasons, but, this one thought, keeps me from putting them much higher than 4-5 on my list, as the killers. I do think that they know something. I think several folks know something.

On the second anniversary of the Rhoden Family Massacre 3 things stand out:

• It took LE 1 year to begin investigating the people they now claim are their main focus, even though one was in a custody battle and was among the last people to see the victim

• The Ohio AG spent over a year and hundreds of thousands of dollars to go all the way to the Ohio Supreme Court to prevent details of the autopsy reports from being released to the news media

• LE were willing to break chain of custody on potential evidence in the case in order to lock up the 4 homes of the victims in various area warehouses, putting future prosecution of killers at risk

JMO

BBM

It blows my mind if they really waited a year to investigate them. I suspected them from the beginning. I compare it to when a married person is murdered. The first suspect is the spouse. In this case, for me, it would be JW.

RSBM

I was just curious if that 5th initial search warrant that was sealed in the very beginning could have perhaps been linked to the W’s and we (the public) don’t know.

Unbelievable.

I can’t remember a case EVER where entire homes have been removed and locked up, let alone locked up indefinitely. It’s bizarre, to say the least. Junk has been very quiet. I’m not sure if DeWine asked him to speak or perhaps they’re not seeing eye to eye on this case. In either instance, I am glad that Junk did give an interview because it was insightful for sure.

This seriously disturbs me. It’s interesting to note that on top of LE not having the forensic capabilities in the Sierah Joaghin case, that James Worley had served time for a similar crime(s) and had been released. I wonder if that instance also played a part in BCI’s involvement in order to contain media because essentially the system failed Sierah by allowing this monster to be released to eventually kidnap and murder her.

BBM

Very possible re reasons for the Sierah Joaghin case. That was horrible and preventable. With the Rhoden murders, Gov Kasich was in the midst of his POTUS campaign and DeWine had already unofficially declared his run to replace Kasich. There was probably a lot of :noooo: :rage: :cursing: in Columbus shortly after BJM made her 911 call. DeWine is an experienced fixer, though. He's probably had a lot of experience.

BTW, I'm trying to learn to use the multi-quote feature, but am knackered today from not enough sleep last night. :sleep:

BBM

Very possible re reasons for the Sierah Joaghin case. That was horrible and preventable. With the Rhoden murders, Gov Kasich was in the midst of his POTUS campaign and DeWine had already unofficially declared his run to replace Kasich. There was probably a lot of :noooo: :rage: :cursing: in Columbus shortly after BJM made her 911 call. DeWine is an experienced fixer, though. He's probably had a lot of experience.

BTW, I'm trying to learn to use the multi-quote feature, but am knackered today from not enough sleep last night. [emoji99]

Multi quote to break up one post in sections is pretty simple [emoji5] add brackets around the word quote immediately before the part you’re quoting. At the end of what you’re quoting add brackets around /quote (forward slash with the word quote) and voila

That's interesting. We don't often hear from Rob Junk, but he's the one who is in charge of the Pike Co Grand Jury. They went through all the hoopla last year of arresting James Manley for taking the GPS tracker off his truck. Charges were dropped in lieu of him testifying before the JG. If Prosecutor Junk has been convening a GJ on this case since then, he must be discovering more information about the murders. If everyone in the area is afraid to talk about these murders, the GJ is the best way to find out what's going on as their testimony will remain secret unless charges are brought.

BBM

That's an interesting statement. What does he mean that information and/or evidence hasn't been publicly released? Is he saying someone in LE has that kind of information, but can't release it? Also unsettling is the remarks about "if and when someone is charged".

Just a hunch, but they may have more information than they're letting on, but they just won't act on it.

Interesting also that, of the two prosecutors working on the case, Junk is now willing to say something about it, but DeWine is staying silent. JMO, that means Junk is wanting to resolve the case more than DeWine. Just theorizing, but if Junk wants to bring charges and DeWine doesn't, what does that mean?

Remember, from reading the transcripts of the depositions in the Rhoden autopsy court case at the Supreme Court of Ohio, it was DeWine and BCI who were working the hardest, putting the most time and money into keeping the Rhoden massacre case zipped up and out of public view.

Given all that happened in the last year, I do think the Wagner family could be involved. I also think their extended family has more power and political pull to keep themselves from being arrested, JMO. (Wags grandparents are from Cincinnati "old money" and likely have powerful old friends; also connections through their religion, which counts A LOT in Ohio politics) The odd thing is that their connection to the case (custody issue, JW possibly being the last person to see HR before she died) should have brought them under scrutiny very quickly. Instead, investigators waited for over a year to make a move on them.

Sounds like Jake Wagner has moved on, with a new fiancee and all.

I wonder if BCI has been sharing all their evidence and information with PCSO & Junk? This has been DeWine's show all along. For better or worse, he owns this case now.

The remarks about moving the trailers twice are interesting. Junk seems to intimate that, even if any evidence found in them was not admissible, it wouldn't matter because they already have removed the evidence they need. Good grief. Who has faith that they got all the evidence they need when they can't solve the case after 2 years?

Ok. For better or worse, Junk is stuck with whatever quality work the BCI did on collecting evidence. Thank goodness they didn't ask the FBI to process (or even visit) the crime scenes. /s

JMO, this case is a major CF right now. The only way they're going to solve it is if the killer goes to the news media and confesses.
With this article, I'm beginning to sense some conflict between Pike County and DeWine's office.

:facepalm:

I feel even less optimistic than before that there will be justice for the Rhoden & Gilley families.

They have had those trailers for 2 years, even built a building to house them. What is so important about them? I agree that every piece of evidence in them have been photographed, videoed, probably even already numbered and ready for a trail someday. So why keep them? IMO there's only a couple of reasons.
(1) They would want a future jury to see the actual gory scenes of the crimes. (but after 2 years of being sealed, that has to be some kind of bio hazard for humans unprotected to go through.)
(2) I have heard/read rumors that something may have been written on "walls" of the scenes. Something to the effect of a warning message or some kind of message about why this was done. (again this if true, could be photographed, videoed or cut out of the wall as in other crime scenes in other cases. Still not a reason to keep those trailers IMO.)
(3) They are keeping the personal property inside, away from the families.(if that were true, again the bio hazard. I think all items inside those trailers have been "bagged and tagged" for either evidence or to keep for the families already.)
So again why are they keeping them?
I think that Pike Co Sheriff's office has been in conflict with Dewine/BCI from the get go. IMO it's a reason for so little info and to be able to blame each other in the out come of this case, if it stays cold or if anything gets screwed up during a trail. Somebody will be the "fall guy" and would that be the big guys or the little guys?

BBM

I don't feel hopeless yet. I might get discouraged some days, but, as GR's Dad said in that video, "It was laid out.". He knew something, about just how well planned this was, as early as GR's burial. Someone had told that man something.

The FBI and Homeland Security have been there. I'm not sure in what capacity now, but this was the Aug. 2016, update.

The below is true of my part of the region too:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/08/20/dewine-rhoden-killers-familiar-family/88957604/

JW; I can see him wanting to date again. He and HMR were together since she was about 14, and she practically lived there at the Ws, from what I've understood, even going on vacation with them and such. However, they'd been split since around the time she found she was expecting the new baby. She'd moved on with her life several months before the murders, and now that will be two years ago, tomorrow. Unless he's a psychopath, who would murder the mother of his child, and an infant who he wanted to be his child, while said infant was nestled next to her Momma? The baby could have been killed too. To me it's like ruling out little R's Momma. Who would leave their child there, except a psychopath, knowing that a horrible thing was going to happen that night, and their child could potentially be killed during the attacks. I've not ruled out the Ws bc of one of my earlier reasons, but, this one thought, keeps me from putting them much higher than 4-5 on my list, as the killers. I do think that they know something. I think several folks know something.

JMO, the federal agencies were consulted on the case, had discussions with BCI and DeWine, but I doubt they were "boots on the ground" in the investigation. Again, reading the affadavits & depositions in the autopsy reports court case, BCI agents talk about how the investigation was conducted, who was in charge of which parts, etc. They never mentioned federal agents being part of it.
We know DeWine said the FBI labs in Quantico examining some evidence. DEA and DHS were probably given some information and asked to search their files and data to see if any of the criminals & activity they follow matched up. DHS would have only checked their info on foreign drug dealers. But I don't think they were on the ground interviewing suspects and witnesses or gathering evidence at the crime scenes. No witnesses or locals ever mention talking to feds and they don't appear in photos or video of the crime scene or at press conferences. JMO, there's likely a reason for that, but I won't go into it.

As for the W's involvement, JW probably knew at that point that HR's new baby was not his. He probably didn't care one way or another about Hannah or her family getting killed. His daughter was with his family that night and he was probably told that the killers were pros and wouldn't kill the kids. He may have gone along with them to make sure the kids were safe and to help them navigate the crime scenes, quiet the dogs, etc.

If JW or someone in his family was also involved in the drug biz and were threatened by CR1 to reveal their activities, they would have perceived it as an ultimatum - either they get rid of the Rhodens or risk getting killed themselves (by higher ups) or going to prison.

As for locals not talking, the killers may have not been from the area or known to them. They would have the same threat hanging over their heads as the W's: snitch and you and your whole family dies, just like the Rhodens. Maybe, for whatever reason, they think local LE and BCI are not capable or willing to protect them. They wouldn't get witness protection and they would be expected to stick around to testify if they help get someone arrested. The relatively small reward fund wouldn't be enough to pay their legal fees and they would end up in prison if they were even remotely associated with the drugs/MJ business. If they're serious, LE needs to do more to encourage witnesses to come forward and ensure the safety of them and their families. BCI and PCSO should have known from Day 1 that was necessary. The message sent by the killers when they massacred the Rhoden family was obvious.

Multi quote to break up one post in sections is pretty simple [emoji5] add brackets around the word quote immediately before the part you’re quoting. At the end of what you’re quoting add brackets around /quote (forward slash with the word quote) and voila

Thanks! That seems so easy!

ETA: To clarify my earlier comment, I don't think CR1 and the W family were partners in the MJ business. They were both working their own sides of the fence, so to speak. Just like the Eury's (who LE soon busted) and others. Perhaps they had the same boss or were working for competing interests.

W's have kept their lips zipped, so have been allowed to move up to AK, but if anything goes wrong, they'll probably get a visit.

ETA: To clarify my earlier comment, I don't think CR1 and the W family were partners in the MJ business. They were both working their own sides of the fence, so to speak. Just like the Eury's (who LE soon busted) and others. Perhaps they had the same boss or were working for competing interests.

W's have kept their lips zipped, so have been allowed to move up to AK, but if anything goes wrong, they'll probably get a visit.

In other words, the W’s and CR1, were more like competitors. Which brings even more theories and reasonings into them being suspected.

Touching on another aspect, I think I can speak for most by saying that if I were to make a comment to the press about how GW & CR1 were like best friends/brothers- myself and my family would also be present at the funeral services of said murdered best friend/like a brother and his family.

Even if you take the aspect of the friendship/brother like relationship comment out of the equation, I believe it’s also fair to say if the entire immediate family of any of ours child/granddaughter were savagely slain as they slept, the majority of us would be present for the funeral services.

Again, so many words spoken by the W’s that don’t match their actions. JMHO.

JMO, the federal agencies were consulted on the case, had discussions with BCI and DeWine, but I doubt they were "boots on the ground" in the investigation. Again, reading the affadavits & depositions in the autopsy reports court case, BCI agents talk about how the investigation was conducted, who was in charge of which parts, etc. They never mentioned federal agents being part of it.
We know DeWine said the FBI labs in Quantico examining some evidence. DEA and DHS were probably given some information and asked to search their files and data to see if any of the criminals & activity they follow matched up. DHS would have only checked their info on foreign drug dealers. But I don't think they were on the ground interviewing suspects and witnesses or gathering evidence at the crime scenes. No witnesses or locals ever mention talking to feds and they don't appear in photos or video of the crime scene or at press conferences. JMO, there's likely a reason for that, but I won't go into it.

As for the W's involvement, JW probably knew at that point that HR's new baby was not his. He probably didn't care one way or another about Hannah or her family getting killed. His daughter was with his family that night and he was probably told that the killers were pros and wouldn't kill the kids. He may have gone along with them to make sure the kids were safe and to help them navigate the crime scenes, quiet the dogs, etc.

If JW or someone in his family was also involved in the drug biz and were threatened by CR1 to reveal their activities, they would have perceived it as an ultimatum - either they get rid of the Rhodens or risk getting killed themselves (by higher ups) or going to prison.

As for locals not talking, the killers may have not been from the area or known to them. They would have the same threat hanging over their heads as the W's: snitch and you and your whole family dies, just like the Rhodens. Maybe, for whatever reason, they think local LE and BCI are not capable or willing to protect them. They wouldn't get witness protection and they would be expected to stick around to testify if they help get someone arrested. The relatively small reward fund wouldn't be enough to pay their legal fees and they would end up in prison if they were even remotely associated with the drugs/MJ business. If they're serious, LE needs to do more to encourage witnesses to come forward and ensure the safety of them and their families. BCI and PCSO should have known from Day 1 that was necessary. The message sent by the killers when they massacred the Rhoden family was obvious.

Didn't Reader say it was locals?

Since the officials said they were interested in the W's for guns, ammo, conversations with, I've always thought it had to do with guns. I remember they were checking the ground and some barrels on the W's property (per photos). There's a lot of flea markets, festivals in Ohio and people go to them to buy and sell guns. My ex was a hunter, gun collector and went to them often, and hunting seems to go hand in hand with gun collecting. Remember in one of the articles it was mentioned that before they (W's) got to Alaska they were searched at some check points. Were the authorities checking for guns and ammo and anything of interest they might have taken with them? Could the W's have provided the weapons used in the crimes?
IMO, the authorities suspected the W's of being involved somehow from the beginning, but due to no evidence to back their suspicions, they had to find a way of searching the W's property. Either the move/vacation to Alaska or the tracker on JM's truck provided a reason for their search warrants. It seems to me that the W's and the Manleys were playing "the balls in your court" for awhile. Blaming or deflecting suspicion to one another.
I to believe that the officials are throwing out false or vailed info to through off whomever their really investigating, plus getting the public off their tails. I read in one of those articles that Dewine was considered an expert in diverting things.
Oh and Betty P, I forgot to answer a question you had in an earlier post. RW= Robin Waddell who is the owner of Big Bear Lake Resort in Peebles, Ohio.

I finally have thought of someone/something that even officials would be frightened of, some kind of secret society with a lot of powerful people as members even in today's society. Ku Klux Klan or Freemason's or both. What do you guys think? Used to be a lot of "Good Ole Boys" affiliated with these "clubs". Didn't they used to recruit people in colleges with a lot of money and power in their families? The Wagner's are an old family. Not accusing but possible. Heck, I'm even afraid of suggesting it. :scared:

I finally have thought of someone/something that even officials would be frightened of, some kind of secret society with a lot of powerful people as members even in today's society. Ku Klux Klan or Freemason's or both. What do you guys think? Used to be a lot of "Good Ole Boys" affiliated with these "clubs". Didn't they used to recruit people in colleges with a lot of money and power in their families? The Wagner's are an old family. Not accusing but possible. Heck, I'm even afraid of suggesting it. :scared:

JMO, it's old fashioned organized crime, built around MJ and probably some other drugs. Between the grow ops we know of (Rhodens, Eury's, etc.) and possibly more with Wagners and others not busted, there's been a very large amount of MJ moving out of this area (Pike, Adams, Scioto, Brown, etc.) for "20 yrs or so" according to LE (my guess is 30+ years).

http://www.wlwt.com/article/marijua...million-busted-in-adams-co-police-say/3568265

Very sophisticated. Eighteen years, I've not seen anything like this," Deputy Randy Waters said. "Organized. When you go to a place where you see everything just perfectly in line, not thrown together, this is their intention. And it was built for no other purpose."

Rogers believes a lot of the pot was destined for other parts of the country, and added that calling the grow sites well-protected may be an understatement.

Waters says crews had to bust through a bank vault door using a Bobcat and jackhammer at the site on Mayhill Road.

"It was bizarre," Waters said. "But again, it was well thought out. When you build a building, construct it, these rooms were purpose built. Lots of money taken to build these. You have bank vaults that's installed to keep people out. This is not a common thing. I can't think of any kind of agricultural need to have a bank vault. That's just not commonplace."

A Mexican cartel even had a huge grow op down there that was busted several years ago. This region has long been known as a center for growing MJ, no to mention trafficking other drugs. To say no one in local LE knew about it is being a bit naive.

A regional production center like this is producing more than enough weed to supply the weekend BBQ's at Big Bear Lake. It's selling and distributing product pretty far and wide. Producing this volume of MJ requires growers to get financial backing, have investors. It requires sales and distribution and businesses to help launder the proceeds.

It's a system that likely also requires payment to people to look the other way when there's a problem.

So, yes, there's probably been an organized crime group(s) running much of the MJ grow ops (and probably other drugs) for a long time. CR1 may not have been part of the Wagner's group, but he was probably dealing with someone at the sales and distribution level. He was probably selling large quantities to someone with the money to finance those kinds of purchases, transport product and distribute it elsewhere.

These regional organized crime groups have the money to hire out help if they want to get rid of someone. They're not likely interested in getting the KKK to do their dirty work. Professionals are available to do this stuff and they probably preferred someone from out of town. Someone not on LE's radar. The W family seems to have been involved.

JMO, LE's problem in solving the Rhoden murders is how it might affect others in the area who have helped finance operations, laundered money, etc. Some may be legitimate business operators and upstanding community leaders. That may be part of the problem in naming suspects and making arrests.

Some of you who do such great work sleuthing property and business records, etc. may want to start combing public records to look at the Wagner family (including Flying W fam) real estate portfolios, business filings and associates and go from there. Has anyone checked the same for the Eurys and others who were busted for grow ops in the area?

ETA: Don't forget to check into the folks busted for their shatter lab just before the Rhoden murders. I've always wondered if CR1 and KR were looking into that line of product before they were killed. I still think one of those sheds near CR1s trailer had a rig on the outside similar to shatter production.

From the earlier Pike Co shatter bust:
https://www.newswatchman.com/news/article_057af5f5-e7c6-57e1-a1f1-699a260f0d12.html

From the Rhoden crime scene, pipe on the outside of this shed:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/04/24/us/marijuana-grow-operation-found-at-ohio-slaying-sites/index.html

On the question of why they're keeping the trailers, maybe it's a simple as "because they can." If these crimes happened in houses, they wouldn't have been able to move them into storage, but with a bunch of trailers that, surely, no one would want to live in, why not keep them? This was an extremely complex crime, trying to capture every fingerprint, spec of fibre, etc would be impossible. It's probably more cost effective to just keep the trailers, always hoping the big break in the case will come soon.

Would someone be interested in helping me figure this site out? It’s give info related to homicides investigated by the FBI. I searched the parameters on the site and oddly it only comes back with 1 listing for Pike County in 2016, for a 20 year old male.

Murderdata.org

Here is the result I received:

http://public.tableau.com/vizql/w/O...{"worksheet":"Solved","dashboard":"SHR Main"}

b2817360e9ddd9abbcbc2c0098eb119b.jpg

I cannot figure out why the results are only giving me one victim? Perhaps I’m doing something incorrectly or perhaps the FBI was only involved in info regarding FR? Help!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl