UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhoden family massacre: 2 years later, no arrests, no motives

Pike County Prosecutor Rob Junk will only say that investigators remain focused on a former Peebles family of four who had ties to the Rhoden family but moved last year to Alaska.

He said authorities are focused on the Wagners in the investigation of the April 22, 2016 slayings. Two agents from the state’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation and a member of the Pike County Sheriff’s Office remain assigned to the case full-time and work out of an office in the county, Junk said.

"One of these days, if and when somebody is charged, there's a lot of things that would be public that can't be made public now. There are some things that could clear this up for you in about two seconds but I really can't say anything because the investigation is still going on," Junk said.
Just bringing this forward to reiterate that as of April 2018, Junk stated the Wagner’s are still the focus of this investigation.

Now, what theory could clear this up for all of us in about two seconds? IMO, it has to be one or two words that would clear this up because 2 seconds isn’t very long.

She did say in the 911 call that it looks like someone beat the h-e-double hockey sticks out of them. I personally took that as more of her observation of stumbling on two victims who died by gunfire. I don’t mean this with any snark or sarcasm and sometimes the tone of what’s being said gets lost because we are typing and not talking, but when someone is shot there’s lots of bleeding and there can be lots of bruising from the gunshot wounds.

BBM

I took it literally. None of us on here (WS) was there at the scene and personally saw CR1. BJM was. So her description in that 911 call is more reliable as to the truth of what happened and what the scene looked like than our interpretation of her words is.

I look forward to your posts and value all of your input. Your theories are always written with eloquence and understanding and I’ve learned a lot from what you’ve shared as well as your input.

And I agree, the numerous circumstances surrounding this case give it many angles. Top that with 8 victims who each had their own identity and personal lives and it makes for a lot of navigating along with weaving in and out.

As I do yours , and you, and everyone else on the forum. I know that we all do care or we wouldn't be here, now, more than two years later. Not a day has passed that I don't think about these folks, and the children left behind who will grow up without a parent, and their other family, and then there's GSR, and LM&JRM , too who have lost children and grandchildren.

We recently had a family member move in with us, for a spell, and I've already cornered them about this case, well, I've lost count, of the times. My s/o walked in, and said, Oh, she's got you cornered about that case in Ohio, I see... at least I'll get a break for awhile. :rolleyes:

BBM

I took it literally. None of us on here (WS) was there at the scene and personally saw CR1. BJM was. So her description in that 911 call is more reliable as to the truth of what happened and what the scene looked like than our interpretation of her words is.
I totally respect that. That just further shows how we all interpret things differently ya know? We can all hear or read the same thing and perceive the same words differently :)

ETA-I tend to look at those types of things from a medical standpoint, probably the reasoning for my rational on why BJM said they looked like they were beaten. Physically, gunshot wounds can make the human body appear beaten when they really weren’t. And when the coroner didn’t say that and confirmed 32 bullet wounds, I decided in my own mind that there was no beating or torture. Numerou gun shot wounds cause serious trauma and bruising.

Last edited:
As I do yours , and you, and everyone else on the forum. I know that we all do care or we wouldn't be here, now, more than two years later. Not a day has passed that I don't think about these folks, and the children left behind who will grow up without a parent, and their other family, and then there's GSR, and LM&JRM , too who have lost children and grandchildren.

We recently had a family member move in with us, for a spell, and I've already cornered them about this case, well, I've lost count, of the times. My s/o walked in, and said, Oh, she's got you cornered about that case in Ohio, I see... at least I'll get a break for awhile. :rolleyes:
LOL. I corner people as well, mainly my mom when I go visit. I believe she thinks I’m nuts but she listens haha. She’s given me opinion on both this case and Missy Bevers. I could discuss both cases for days on end and it comes from a place of deep compassion and the deep desire for justice.

They give the Crystal Springs home as an alternate GPS. Yes, it's some sort of a church, but I also think it is used, by Crystal Springs residents. Then again, maybe it's just me, and my upbringing in a Bible Belt area, but I just don't see anything weird about it at all. Heck, folks handle venomous snakes in church, in parts of this region, as part of their belief system. I just don't see too much odd about that little church. Edit: If I bought property, and it had a church on it, I'd likely let someone use it too, just to keep it up and looking nice.

My Ex DIL rented a house that also had a church on that land. It was in use but only had about 10 members.

BBM

Looking back at CR1's autopsy report, any mention of his extremeties (relevant to defensive wounds) has been blacked out. I also found it odd in some of the AR's, it doesn't look like there was any description of victim's hands, etc. other than to mention they were bagged. JMO, compared to many autopsy reports I've read here at WS, those AR's were very brief. Not a great deal of information, analysis or descriptions, even considering the redacted portions.

Looking back at CR1's autopsy report, any mention of his extremeties (relevant to defensive wounds) has been blacked out. I also found it odd in some of the AR's, it doesn't look like there was any description of victim's hands, etc. other than to mention they were bagged. JMO, compared to many autopsy reports I've read here at WS, those AR's were very brief. Not a great deal of information, analysis or descriptions, even considering the redacted portions.
I have a question about gunshot wounds. How long after the body is hit does it take for bruising, or what looks like bruising, to occur? Is it immediate, like when you break a bone? Or is it one of those Where did this bruise come from, slower reactions.

I have a question about gunshot wounds. How long after the body is hit does it take for bruising, or what looks like bruising, to occur? Is it immediate, like when you break a bone? Or is it one of those Where did this bruise come from, slower reactions.

Here's a link to an abstract from a research article. It seems to indicate post-mortem bruising can occur within an hour or more after death

[Bruise-like discolorations can appear after death]. - PubMed - NCBI

As for peri- or post- mortem bruising associated with gunshot wounds, it does occur. I'm not an expert and it's late, but I think those kinds of wounds often result in a hematoma, similar to a bruise, but it's actually a pooling of the blood underneath tissue.

https://www.birpublications.org/doi/pdf/10.1259/bjrcr.20150304

If BJM saw any bruising on CR1, it probably would fit in the timeline for such bruising to appear - IOW it's assumed the shootings occurred sometime after DR posted on social media/returned from work and early morning when BJM discovered the bodies.

Also adding that CR1's autopsy report has a diagnosis of
Multiple gunshot wounds to the head, torso and upper extremity. Description of his extremeties has been redacted, but some might speculate the upper extremity wound indicates he was fighting back. Not sure though.

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...BCI/Pike-County-Final-Autopsies-REDACTED.aspx

Last edited:
Here's a link to an abstract from a research article. It seems to indicate post-mortem bruising can occur within an hour or more after death

As for peri- or post- mortem bruising associated with gunshot wounds, it does occur. I'm not an expert and it's late, but I think those kinds of wounds often result in a hematoma, similar to a bruise, but it's actually a pooling of the blood underneath tissue.

If BJM saw any bruising on CR1, it probably would fit in the timeline for such bruising to appear - IOW it's assumed the shootings occurred sometime after DR posted on social media/returned from work and early morning when BJM discovered the bodies.

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head, torso and upper extremity. Description of his extremeties has been redacted, but some might speculate the upper extremity wound indicates he was fighting back. Not sure though.

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov...BCI/Pike-County-Final-Autopsies-REDACTED.aspx
Great post. Yes, a difference can be determined if a bruise is peri, post Mortem, or even at the time of death. Any bruise or contusion is blood pooling under the skin, however in the instance of a fresh bruise versus an older bruise the coloring is different. The medical examiner would’ve determined if bruising, if any, was relative to a gunshot wound or if it was a separate injury.

In regards to CR1’s autopsy and the gunshot wound to the upper extremity, he could’ve been shot multiple times in the same extremity or he could’ve been shot once. I wish we knew because that would be very telling. Also, yes he could’ve been fighting back OR perhaps he put one of his arms up to try and fend off a bullet. Either way, I suppose that’s fighting back in a sense. JMO.

Thank you! I'm not sure about the extremity wound meaning that he fought back, either. It could mean a few other things too. Maybe they? just shot him there. Maybe two different shooters shot him at the same time....The autopsy reports, although almost completely redacted, seem to show otherwise healthy people. Well nourished and nothing unremarkable. They couldn't have been heavy drug users.
..and those darn Wags. Why are they Dewine's laser focus. I have heard him use that term in a media video a couple of days after the murders happened. Paraphrasing, we're going to continue to be laser focused on this case. I'm not sure if I trust that guy. He's definitely a politician.

I totally respect that. That just further shows how we all interpret things differently ya know? We can all hear or read the same thing and perceive the same words differently :)

ETA-I tend to look at those types of things from a medical standpoint, probably the reasoning for my rational on why BJM said they looked like they were beaten. Physically, gunshot wounds can make the human body appear beaten when they really weren’t. And when the coroner didn’t say that and confirmed 32 bullet wounds, I decided in my own mind that there was no beating or torture. Numerou gun shot wounds cause serious trauma and bruising.

I looked at like that too. Fwiw, it does not appear that CR1 was a very healthy man, just from my lay person's view of the autopsy.

Great post. Yes, a difference can be determined if a bruise is peri, post Mortem, or even at the time of death. Any bruise or contusion is blood pooling under the skin, however in the instance of a fresh bruise versus an older bruise the coloring is different. The medical examiner would’ve determined if bruising, if any, was relative to a gunshot wound or if it was a separate injury.

In regards to CR1’s autopsy and the gunshot wound to the upper extremity, he could’ve been shot multiple times in the same extremity or he could’ve been shot once. I wish we knew because that would be very telling. Also, yes he could’ve been fighting back OR perhaps he put one of his arms up to try and fend off a bullet. Either way, I suppose that’s fighting back in a sense. JMO.

I have wondered if CR1 was in another room and heard a commotion or gun shots and were coming at the shooters so they just fired till he stopped coming.
For all we know there could have been a shoot out. One of the assailants may have been wounded. If they would have taken an injured assailant across the river for treatment LE may may not have made a connection. There are unlimited possibilities with the little info released. It is like trying to connect the dots but some dots can't be used and some are invisible...

I looked at like that too. Fwiw, it does not appear that CR1 was a very healthy man, just from my lay person's view of the autopsy.
I agree. It looks like he also had a prior intestinal surgery on his autopsy, with the surgical staples, IIRCC in his cecum. Of course that could mean something as a small as an appendectomy or something as large as a bowel resection or hernia repair.

I have wondered if CR1 was in another room and heard a commotion or gun shots and were coming at the shooters so they just fired till he stopped coming.
For all we know there could have been a shoot out. One of the assailants may have been wounded. If they would have taken an injured assailant across the river for treatment LE may may not have made a connection. There are unlimited possibilities with the little info released. It is like trying to connect the dots but some dots can't be used and some are invisible...
I agree. I tend to think CR1 was a moving target for the killer(s) hence the reason he was shot 9x.

Fair enough. I agree that the key word would be looked.

But the coroner also said there was some soft tissue bruising didn't he? I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee