OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a common occurrence in Appalachian culture altogether.

I know a lot of this stuff probably sounds bizarre to folks not familiar with the region, but nothing I've heard so far about this family -- pot-growing, arrest records, jobs, homes, hobbies, cars, dogs, hats -- makes them in any way unusual. Nothing, except that 1) their grow operation is bigger than 12 plants in a back bedroom, and 2) eight of them were murdered.

This. VERY much agreed. Living in rural MI, this is considered "normal", except for the 2 points you mentioned.

Is there a source for that?
Yeah but I don't think we are allowed to sleuth that because it is one of his relatives. Now if he was arrested with that person it would show up. It popped up in probably thread one..

DeWine had his initial look at a scene first discovered by Bobby Jo Manley the morning of April 22. She made the initial 911 call after she came upon the bodies of Chris Rhoden, Sr., Frankie Rhoden and Hanna Gilley.

Bobby Jo Manley's older brother James Manley came upon the body of his sister, Dana Rhoden, before backing out of the trailer where he assumed his niece, Hanna Rhoden, and his nephew, Chris Rhoden Jr. were, a family member said.

Later, the body of Kenneth Rhoden was found fourth scene few miles away from the initial discovery on Left Fork Road.

Authorities have yet to release where Hanna Rhoden and Chris Rhoden, Jr. were found
, but members of the family provided knowledge of the Rhoden family's living arrangements in the three residences of the property.

Reader cautioned reports not attributed to the Attorney General's Office or the Pike County Sheriff's Office should not be trusted. He echoed the same comments made at every press conference since Friday that the investigation will be a lengthy process.

This man once got punched out by Pike County victim, and now mourns him
Keith BieryGolick, [email]kbierygolick@enquirer.com[/email] 2:50 p.m. EDT April 27, 2016

Not sure I can post this (?) but for all those who are who think the Sheriff is hinky there is a very interesting post on Reddit from someone who says they used to work with him......very interesting. Anyone can make stuff up and it's gossip but still weird. There's a few Reddit threads out there, this one was from 2 days ago.

ETA - Post was by the user: southernohiodrugs

I listened to the interview on the radio, that the AG gave today, and the money thrown around was the only thing that he did allude to that was false.

I am sorry but I don't trust this AG. I didn't think he said this particular information was false but he did say some of the rumors aren't true. That is totally understandable because rumors in every case seem to be rampant and some do believe they are true when they aren't. Some on SM are just attention seekers. The site that will not be named is the worst I have seen since its totally unmoderated and mostly a free for all and sometimes FB posts are just as bad.

I see no reason for Mr. Stone to lie about how he found his friend/cousin, Kenneth. I believe him, and not the AG if he said Kenneth wasn't found this way.

IMO

"...gonna drop your *advertiser censored* down a mine shaft" would not be an unusual threat in parts of southern Ohio.
Supposedly Walker County is one of the top places to hire a hit man. They have connected many contract killings all around, to people from Walker County.

Here are my personal notes from today's presser 04/27/16 --

AG DeWine:
- He stressed that he still expects this to be a lengthy investigation
- He cannot confirm or deny specific rumors
- He said their sole purpose was to obtain convictions and not just arrests
- He doesn't want to broadcast any information about the investigation to the person/s responsible for these murders or to a potential witness because it could influence witness statements
- He doesn't want to say if they are currently leaning towards a specific suspect(s) or motive (like whether they think it might be drug related, etc.) because it could prevent someone with information from reporting it by making them believe the info they have is not important or helpful
- He suspects the person/s responsible may be following the news and doesn't want them to know what they have or don't have
- He described the killer(s) as "ruthless" and "cold blooded"
- A reporter asked why this case was so difficult to investigate (and mentioned that typically someone who commits mass murder is arrested within days). The AG said this crime was different from typical mass murder situations, like at a school or movie theater, and he described it as "an old-fashioned, calculated, well-planned, and cold blooded murder that can only be solved through old-fashioned police work." He said it was "a murder that could have occured 100 years ago."
(I'm not really sure what he meant by that.)
- Their office is receiving technical expertise from the FBI & the DEA

Sheriff:
- Their office has received assistance from other LE organizations as far away as Lake Eerie
- He has visited the crime scenes at least 3 separate times---once with the AG, once with the investigators, and once with the FBI
- Over 25 Sheriffs in Ohio have assisted in some capacity
- No comment about the bills Kenneth Rhoden's cousin reported being at the crime scene
- No comment about what type of weapons were used or if any other types of drugs were found
- Additional units from other counties (in addition to the 13 from Pike County that are used regularly) will be patrolling the area at all times for as long as they are needed
- His office will also be offering as much support as is needed to ensure the safety of the family and other community members who plan to attend the funerals

It's a common occurrence in Appalachian culture altogether.

I know a lot of this stuff probably sounds bizarre to folks not familiar with the region, but nothing I've heard so far about this family -- pot-growing, arrest records, jobs, homes, hobbies, cars, dogs, hats -- makes them in any way unusual. Nothing, except that 1) their grow operation is bigger than 12 plants in a back bedroom, and 2) eight of them were murdered.
Truth.

If it was no more than $100, could it point to the killer(s) having expected much more money on Kenneth? That they were so disgusted and disappointed to not find the thousands of dollars they expected to find and just threw the 'little bit' they found back on him?

I think the killer staged the murder scene with the dollar notes to make a point. I cannot say for sure exactly what the point was.
Perhaps the killer blames the victim for doing him wrong (in some way, which we don't know) because of greed. It is also a way to make himself
feel superior to the victim, a way to humiliate the victim even after death.

For any locals on the thread: are there any known prominent families in this particular area? I know the community has been painted as struggling but are there some families that aren't and who might be living well and better than others?

I say it's still a family member or an ex-associate that was harboring one hell of a grudge. Maybe he joined a biker gang and brought his friends with him that night. Either way, they knew the family, were familiar with the family dogs, and knew exactly where everyone could be found in the middle of the night.

If you notice, nobody got killed due to mistaken identity because the wrong house was broken into. Nobody was targeted by mistake.

What was the motive ? Ruining this family and exposing their grow operation, the equivalent to pulling back the curtain for everyone to see who they were and what they were about.

Anger, resentment, rage, betrayal, cunning.........it's all there. To me, this looks like someone who used to partner with the Rhodens and was fired or rejected for an unknown reason. Maybe it was skimming, maybe it was stealing, maybe it was drawing too much attention by LE, maybe he found himself on the outside due to divorce.......whatever it was, he was on the outside looking in.........and it didn't sit well.

"Vengeance is mine" is most likely his favorite motto.

I am sorry but I don't trust this AG. I didn't think he said this particular information was false but he did say some of the rumors aren't true. That is totally understandable because rumors in every case seem to be rampant and some do believe they are true when they aren't. Some on SM are just attention seekers. The site that will not be named is the worst I have seen since its totally unmoderated and mostly a free for all and sometimes FB posts are just as bad.

I see no reason for Mr. Stone to lie about how he found his friend, Kenneth. I believe him, and not the AG if he said Kenneth wasn't found this way.

IMO
Oddly that site hasn't been like it was with the Bobo case, which has surprised me.

AG DeWine:
- He doesn't want to broadcast any information about the investigation to the person/s responsible for these murders or to a potential witness because it could influence witness statements
- He doesn't want to say if they are currently leaning towards a specific suspect(s) or motive (like whether they think it might be drug related, etc.) because it could prevent someone with information from reporting it by making them believe the info they have is not important or helpful
- He suspects the person/s responsible may be following the news and doesn't want them to know what they have or don't have
- A reporter asked why this case was so difficult to investigate (and mentioned that typically someone who commits mass murder is arrested within days). The AG said this crime was different from typical mass murder situations, like at a school or movie theater, and he described it as "an old-fashioned, calculated, well-planned, and cold blooded murder that can only be solved through old-fashioned police work." He said it was "a murder that could have occured 100 years ago."

Sheriff:
- Their office has received assistance from other LE organizations as far away as Lake Eerie
- He has visited the crime scenes at least 3 separate times---once with the AG, once with the investigators, and once with the FBI
- No comment about the bills Kenneth Rhoden's cousin reported being at the crime scene
- No comment about what type of weapons were used or if any other types of drugs were found
- Additional units from other counties (in addition to the 13 from Pike County that are used regularly) will be patrolling the area at all times for as long as they are needed
- His office will also be offering as much support as is needed to ensure the safety of the family and other community members who plan to attend the funerals

I think he was trying to differentiate this case from the type of mass shootings we're used to hearing about. He referenced school shootings and movie theater shootings as examples.

Oddly that site hasn't been like it was with the Bobo case, which has surprised me.

While I understand why... Locals are being VERY quiet. I've watched cases where LE is.. It's very odd to me how quiet everyone else is. They must be absolutely terrified.

AG DeWine:

Sheriff:

Thanks! Wonderful info.

I think by the "100 years ago" comment - I take it as it was done cowboy style, like an old-fashioned planned train robbery/shootout maybe.

Cut and dry with no frills, nothing fancy (no silencers perhaps?), just good planning, good outdoor skills (maybe came on foot through woods?), guns and violence. Makes me think maybe there's isn't much modern technology/electronic footprints involved maybe as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead