OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lived one county over. Made me sick because people thought it was funny. That is reality though, or was a few years ago.
Yeah it is very much the reality of that group and they are definitely a clan, generational welfare, the drugs, the justice, etc.

The mom just seemed like a sweet lady, I don't know how she lived through all that with her family as long as she did.

Question about the Rhoden that called 911 in Kentucky a few days back and said he was being followed...

"Yes, ma'am. My name is Kenny Rhoden. There's somebody following me right now and chasing me," Rhoden said. "I fear for my life. I'm leaving the Speedway and heading toward Greenup and somebody's chasing me."

... Was that Gary's dad Kenneth? Or is this a THIRD Kenneth Rhoden?

Gary also has a brother named Kenneth.

I'm one of those who is terrified of guns. I have only seen a real gun once in my life and it freaked the crap out of me! I was really uncomfortable. It was a registered gun that my boyfriend at the time's sister's husband owned. His sister and hubby lived in a more isolated, small community and we were up there visiting. That was well over 10 years ago, haven't seen one since lol! I'm in Canada too, so we don't have the gun history as much as the US.

Yep, me too. Most big cities in the US are in line with the rest of the world. That is where you will find most of the pockets of people who don't believe they need weapons for protection. I have no fear at all of living safely in my area. No fear I will be attacked and need a weapon to protect myself. I wouldn't even WANT to use a weapon against another human being. Not even to protect myself. And I'd be terrified to have one in my home because I have children. It would have to be locked up, so what would be the point of having it if someone broke in to murder me? What am I going to do, say, "please hold while I go unlock my weapon that is hidden in the top of my closet?" LOL.

There is a HUGE cultural divide in the US and this case has really opened my eyes. Again - not judging anyone. Just saying it is an entirely different culture from what I am used to and I am constantly surprised as I read these threads!

I thought that too but then wouldn't it be way too obvious if there were new king pins stepping in? If someone wanted turf, the key family members/competition would've easily been made to just disappear couldn't they? This murder was LOUD.
But you are thinking about a murder through your point of view. There is a lot of "backwoods justice" and life goes on and whatever the problems were are considered resolved.

Also with a big murder investigation, they might not look to see who if anyone is taking the place, it might not be someone in even the same state.

Yep, me too. Most big cities in the US are in line with the rest of the world. That is where you will find most of the pockets of people who don't believe they need weapons for protection. I have no fear at all of living safely in my area. No fear I will be attacked and need a weapon to protect myself. I wouldn't even WANT to use a weapon against another human being. Not even to protect myself. And I'd be terrified to have one in my home because I have children. It would have to be locked up, so what would be the point of having it if someone broke in to murder me? What am I going to do, say, "please hold while I go unlock my weapon that is hidden in the top of my closet?" LOL.

There is a HUGE cultural divide in the US and this case has really opened my eyes. Again - not judging anyone. Just saying it is an entirely different culture from what I am used to and I am constantly surprised as I read these threads!
Trust me.. If you had to shoot someone to protect yourself or your kids, you could and would. We have a natural desire to survive built in us.

You or your killer? You will choose you every time.

This was the Cincinnati paper. You have to understand that most people in cities do NOT own guns and are horrified by the number of guns on the streets. Without passing judgment on anyone at all, I am shocked to read about all the people posting on this thread who say guns are an every day way of life. I don't know one person who owns a gun. Not one! (I guess maybe some of my relatives back in Ohio own hunting rifles. But I have lived in the suburbs of L.A. for 25 years and have never even seen a gun since I moved here). What is going on in Piketon is a TOTALLY different and completely shocking culture to most of us who live in L.A, Cincinnati, etc. I think that article just reflects the big-city mindset.

I can see what you mean about the guns. In Ohio and many midwestern states, especially if you live in the country, you have to arm yourself. Why? Because it is not uncommon for animals that are a threat to your family or farm animals to enter your property and attack or aggravate your livestock. Also, if you have to wait for LE to get to your place when someone is breaking in, they will not get there in time as they are simply too far away.

I actually probably know more people who own guns than people who do not! You are correct--just a very different culture.

One thing I haven't seen in discussion of the 911 call, maybe I missed it.
She likely knew about the illegal activities...I've wondered if "feeding the chickens" has another meaning, like watering the plants or turning on the grow lights.

So now we have a woman who has just found 2 dead bodies, people she obviously cares about, and is about to call the authorities to a property she knows contains a marijuana growing operation. I would think that played a part in her state of mind as she was making the call.

If three of the four crime scenes have pot farms, it's going to be Frankie's, Chirs's and Kenny's. It's not going to be Dana's as she just move in. If I discovered two bodies, I am for sure going next door to tell the other two what happened before I call the cops. I would assume after she found four people dead at that point and only at that point would she call in the cops. Then- they go check Dana to let her know- they know her property is clean, she'd only been there a month.

It is crazy and some of the extreme culture and issues we have talked about on here concerning this. Just keep watching until the end.

It is very extreme.

Looks good, I'll totally watch. I love learning about humanity, human nature and all kinds of people fascinate me from all over the place. People and their stories are never boring!

Question about the Rhoden that called 911 in Kentucky a few days back and said he was being followed...

"Yes, ma'am. My name is Kenny Rhoden. There's somebody following me right now and chasing me," Rhoden said. "I fear for my life. I'm leaving the Speedway and heading toward Greenup and somebody's chasing me."

... Was that Gary's dad Kenneth? Or is this a THIRD Kenneth Rhoden?

A third one, but known as Kenny. May be his full legal name.

Son of Kenneth. Brother to Gary. Cousin to Kenneth who was killed on Left Fork Road.

Gary D. Rhoden obituary:

http://www.clrfuneralhome.com/#!Gary-D-Rhoden/dffpr/571fb5a00cf269c350f0970c

Looks good, I'll totally watch. I love learning about humanity, human nature and all kinds of people fascinate me from all over the place. People and their stories are never boring!
Just realize that all of West Virginia isn't like that.

A third one, but known as Kenny. May be his full legal name.

Son of Kenneth. Brother to Gary. Cousin to Kenneth who was killed on Left Fork Road.

Gary D. Rhoden obituary:

http://www.clrfuneralhome.com/#!Gary-D-Rhoden/dffpr/571fb5a00cf269c350f0970c
They have so many Kenneth's, there are even more. We have a family name and it can be male or female, but all of us have it as our middle name and none of us are called by it.

If we all used that name it would have made things easier for our granny when calling us kids to come in lol.

If three of the four crime scenes have pot farms, it's going to be Frankie's, Chirs's and Kenny's. It's not going to be Dana's as she just move in. If I discovered two bodies, I am for sure going next door to tell the other two what happened before I call the cops. I would assume after she found four people dead at that point and only at that point would she call in the cops. Then- they go check Dana to let her know- they know her property is clean, she'd only been there a month.

I assumed Dana's property had a grow operation because of the large building on it and figured she moved there because they were expanding. Was that a new property they bought or was it already in the family?

But you are thinking about a murder through your point of view. There is a lot of "backwoods justice" and life goes on and whatever the problems were are considered resolved.

Also with a big murder investigation, they might not look to see who if anyone is taking the place, it might not be someone in even the same state.

I think I get what you're saying...if the media hadn't pounced on this it might not have gotten the exposure and hit world news. It might've been just another violent crime and fallen off the radar.

But even with the investigation going, wouldn't the DEA now have their eye on this area if it wasn't already?

I would think LE no matter what always looks at motive for murder and who would benefit from it. Competition or rival drug dealers would be in the list of suspects, so they would explore who would inherit the drug turf I have to think. But yeah, I get what you're saying and it's a good point.

The media is always that way, that is one reason they think everyone in Alabama is a redneck white stupid racist that married their cousin.

The media always goes for the stereotype and the biggest extreme of it they can find.

I think we can safely say we now know for sure that they were killed with a handgun, not a shotgun. Gary had an open casket (really?!), according to his father. And he had 3 gunshot wounds to the head. A shotgun would have obliterated his head. But he was able to have an open casket, and they were able to determine there were three entry wounds. So that means a handgun.

That will create spatter. Someone has some REALLY bloody clothes somewhere. And someone was out very early that morning. Someone local HAS TO know something. I sure hope they start talking.

If it was an open casket ???? then I am leaning towards a small caliber riffle like a .22 which might explain why so many shots were used if people woke up

I think I get what you're saying...if the media hadn't pounced on this it might not have gotten the exposure and hit world news. It might've been just another violent crime and fallen off the radar.

But even with the investigation going, wouldn't the DEA now have their eye on this area if it wasn't already?

I would think LE no matter what always looks at motive for murder and who would benefit from it. Competition or rival drug dealers would be in the list of suspects, so they would explore who would inherit the drug turf I have to think. But yeah, I get what you're saying and it's a good point.
Well that is what I'm saying.. They might have gotten involved with others due to Gary's connection and people in other states even didn't like the competition for them.

Even if they find out who the killers are, we may never find out the full or true motive. There seems to be so many really possible motives due to the way they lived.

Just realize that all of West Virginia isn't like that.

Gotcha, we get stereotyped galore in Canada as well.... We all don't live in igloos, it's not always snowing (where I live we rarely get snow even in winter) and I don't even like hockey.

Were the crops inside the houses though? How many plants are we talking here ... I'm finding talks of Mexican drug cartels a little bit fanciful. Agree with the folks who think this was personal and younger hot heads well known to the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyH