GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just a guess here, but I would venture that they are waiting to receive more recovered phone info from that forensics company. I would also guess that they have probable cause to believe there is incriminating information there, and they apparantly have a pretty good idea of what it is. I know there was talk about some videos that were taken and deleted and couldn't previously be recovered. If this is correct, the evidence could be for two purposes; first to implicate others that might have actually actively been involved in the assault, and second to show who had actual notice and knowledge of the assualts. Just have to wait to see.

:please:

This whole thing bothers me so much. May there be justice!

Judge to label Ohio football players sex offenders

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...p-ohio_hs_rape_defendants_face_sex_offende-ap

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Two Ohio high school football players convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl last year will be classified as sex offenders at a hearing next week.

The June 14 hearing by Judge Thomas Lipps at Jefferson County Juvenile Court in eastern Ohio is a possible first step for the two teens to be transferred from a state juvenile detention center to a facility that works with sex offenders.

Lipps must place the teens in one of three sex offender levels, with the strictest requiring reporting every three months for life and the most lenient requiring annual reporting for 10 years. Unlike adult sex offenders, however, the teens' names won't be included on publicly accessible websites. And the teens can request to be removed later based on their history of rehabilitation......more......

http://gawker.com/the-fbi-raided-steubenville-anonymous-guys-house-here-511634071

Adrian Chen Today 12:10pm 85,730 276
The FBI Raided Steubenville Anonymous Guy's House. Here He Is.

The furor surrounding the Steubenville, Ohio rape case was sparked in large part by the raucous entrance of the hacktivist collective Anonymous into the story. Anonymous members organized digital and real-life protests and leaked information about the case, occasionally going beyond the law in their efforts to raise awareness and avenge the victim.

Gawker has learned the leader of that campaign was raided by the FBI in April in connection to a hacking and identity theft investigation sparked by Anonymous' Steubenville campaign. Now, he is revealing his identity, in anticipation of being targeted in the investigation....

http://gawker.com/the-fbi-raided-steubenville-anonymous-guys-house-here-511634071

Adrian Chen Today 12:10pm 85,730 276
The FBI Raided Steubenville Anonymous Guy's House. Here He Is.

The furor surrounding the Steubenville, Ohio rape case was sparked in large part by the raucous entrance of the hacktivist collective Anonymous into the story. Anonymous members organized digital and real-life protests and leaked information about the case, occasionally going beyond the law in their efforts to raise awareness and avenge the victim.

Gawker has learned the leader of that campaign was raided by the FBI in April in connection to a hacking and identity theft investigation sparked by Anonymous' Steubenville campaign. Now, he is revealing his identity, in anticipation of being targeted in the investigation....

WOW! :what:

IMO he's a hero. If he's indicted, I'll gladly contribute to his defense fund!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ing-teen-ordered-to-register-as-sex-offender/

T.M. must register as a sex offender:

"A former Steubenville High School football player who was convicted in juvenile court of raping a 16-year-old girl must register as a sex offender every six months for the next 20 years, a judge ruled Friday"

Here's a CNN article about this; http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/14/justice/ohio-steubenville-sex-offender/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

That might make someone think twice. Being labeled a sex offender for 20 years is worse than a two year jail sentence. JMO

Now that is justice, imvho. Nothing is going to take that night back, but there is an immense price to pay for being so callous and criminal.

Hmm. I don't know much about Trent Mays and his history and behavior, but I'm a little leery of sentencing someone based on the public's negative reaction to the victim.

What the court and family seem to imply here, is that because the public is taunting this victim, Trent Mays has to pay a greater price.

I think each person should be held responsible for their own behavior, whatever that may be. But to hold someone responsible because the public reacts negatively - that doesn't seem just at all. So, if somehow the public at large all sided with the victim and no one sent her nasty texts and emails, the perp would receive a lighter sentence? Where's the justice in that?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ing-teen-ordered-to-register-as-sex-offender/

Hmm. I don't know much about Trent Mays and his history and behavior, but I'm a little leery of sentencing someone based on the public's negative reaction to the victim.

What the court and family seem to imply here, is that because the public is taunting this victim, Trent Mays has to pay a greater price.

I think each person should be held responsible for their own behavior, whatever that may be. But to hold someone responsible because the public reacts negatively - that doesn't seem just at all. So, if somehow the public at large all sided with the victim and no one sent her nasty texts and emails, the perp would receive a lighter sentence? Where's the justice in that?

The kid got off easy. Before there was public outrage he had been charged as a minor and they didn't change that. He should be doing 15-20 years in the state pen. Having to register as a sex offender for 20 years is a lot less than a lifetime of PTSD for the victim. JMO

The kid got off easy. Before there was public outrage he had been charged as a minor and they didn't change that. He should be doing 15-20 years in the state pen. Having to register as a sex offender for 20 years is a lot less than a lifetime of PTSD for the victim. JMO

:thumbup: I agree!

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

why not the other kid too?

oh, and they are trying to move the kids from juvenile detention to a rehab where they are called clients not criminals
google it.

I'm not debating whether he was given a fair sentence or not.

I'm stating that a convicted felon shouldn't be judged and punished based on how the public at large treats the victim, which is clearly what the judge is saying, and the mother is saying. People within their community have treated her with hostility, and also anonymous nuts on the internet have said very hurtful things about her, and continue to. Therefore, the accused/conficted in this case should pay. I don't agree.

Because the public has treated the victim with hostility, the perpetrator should be punished on that basis.

I think, personally, that nuts on computer forums and news websites should be held responsible for what they say, instead of someone who is named in the news story.

"My child's name and face will forever remain attached to his crime because of his actions," she said, reading a prepared statement. "Since this crime, she has endured countless ridiculing comments from all public avenues that has caused her great pain and stress. This will never leave my daughter, therefore it should never leave him."
This was the mother's statement in the CBS article. It is a victim impact statement. She has every right to share how this has impacted her daughter. She is not seeking special punishment based upon how her daughter has been treated. She is stating "This will never leave my daughter, therefore it should never leave him." I agree.

"My child's name and face will forever remain attached to his crime because of his actions," she said, reading a prepared statement. "Since this crime, she has endured countless ridiculing comments from all public avenues that has caused her great pain and stress. This will never leave my daughter, therefore it should never leave him."
This was the mother's statement in the CBS article. It is a victim impact statement. She has every right to share how this has impacted her daughter. She is not seeking special punishment based upon how her daughter has been treated. She is stating "This will never leave my daughter, therefore it should never leave him." I agree.

This will never leave her daughter, I'm sure of that. Because the public continues to taunt her.

I don't know what his punishment should be. But it should be based on HIS behavior, not "countless ridiculing comments from the public", many of whom know her and many of whom don't.

This will never leave her daughter, I'm sure of that. Because the public continues to taunt her.

I don't know what his punishment should be. But it should be based on HIS behavior, not "countless ridiculing comments from the public", many of whom know her and many of whom don't.

His sentence is being based on his behavior. He raped her. She continues to suffer from that. But mostly his sex offender registration requirement is apparantly being based upon his continued lack of remorese during his evaluations. Because he sees nothing wrong with what he did, he is at greater risk or further such activity and must be more closely monitored.

I don't know what his punishment should be. But it should be based on HIS behavior
Yup. And it was-isnt that awesome? Raped her, convicted of rape, imprisoned, forced to register as a sex offender...we are getting there. This is the best the system has to offer-pity there isnt more to work with. Like 20 years of sex offender treatment. Or at least 10.

For her-a life time of knowing that her courage made an immense difference and that she fought back in a way she couldnt that night. Good job.

Public taunting her? Only those with an agenda. Sexual shaming is all over social media in her age group-that was how this started. I am completely not surprised that it continues.

She will find her place. She is strong and she has a very loving protective family.

Call me a Conspiracy theorist if you wish... but I am always skeptical when reporters/whistleblowers/etc. just happen to die of "one-car wrecks", mysterious, unsolved gunshot wounds, etc. after alerting the public of information that can be "inconvenient" to government officials...

Note: Michael Hastings, a reporter, died Tuesday in what appears to be a one-man car crash...

And, incidentally, had just released an article, June 7th, which may have "irritated" our present government administration...

I am posting it here because it refers to Anonymous, and thought some of you may be interested in reading it...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-18-23-16-54

Award-Winning Journalist Michael hasting Dies

"LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Michael Hastings, the war correspondent whose unflinching reporting from Afghanistan led to the resignation of a top U.S. army general, has died in a car accident in Los Angeles, according to his employer and family."

More at link above...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Story by Michael Hastings:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/why-democrats-love-to-spy-on-americans

Why Democrats Love To Spy On Americans

Besides Senators Ron Wyden and Mark Udall, most Democrats abandoned their civil liberty positions during the age of Obama. With a new leak investigation looming, the Democrat leadership are now being forced to confront all the secrets they’ve tried to hide.

<snip>

"The very topic of Democratic two-facedness on civil liberties is one of the most important issues that Greenwald has covered. Many of those Dems &#8212; including the sitting President Barack Obama, Senator Carl Levin, and Sec. State John Kerry &#8212; have now become the stewards and enhancers of programs that appear to dwarf any of the spying scandals that broke during the Bush years, the very same scandals they used as wedge issues to win elections in the Congressional elections 2006 and the presidential primary of 2007-2008."

<snip>

"Jacob Appplebaum, a transparency activist and computer savant, has been repeatedly harassed at American borders, having his laptop seized. Barrett Brown, another investigative journalist who has written for Vanity Fair, among others publications, exposed the connections between the private contracting firm HB Gary (a government contracting firm that, incidentally, proposed a plan to spy on and ruin the reputation of the Guardian&#8217;s Greenwald) and who is currently sitting in a Texas prison on trumped up FBI charges regarding his legitimate reportorial inquiry into the political collective known sometimes as Anonymous.
"

BBM

Much, much more at link above....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member