Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm focusing on the sweater now. I did a search for vintage trellis design sweaters and then turtlenecks. The following is the closest I came to anything. Does anyone think that IT could be handmade.

http://www.todaystreasure.net/product/diamond-cowl-neck-slipover-knitting-pattern

I don't think it was handmade. It had a sizing tag on it that said it was size Large. On the Who Was Buckskin Girl? page, there was a commenter who commented "This sweater looks like one I had at the time. Mine was a gift but I believe it was bought in the Dayton area." She also said it wasn't very expensive, nor very cheap, and may have been bought at a popular store such as Lerners or Sears.

Why do her Doe Net and NamUs pages now say she was found in Newton? Where did that come from? I can't even locate a Newton, OH. I can find a Newton Falls, OH, but it's 3.5 hours away, and not even in Miami County? Pardon my confusion, I am just so lost.
That's weird. Clerical error, I assume. Page was last updated on 13th of February.

I did find Newton, Ohio. It's a tiny village in Cincinnati.

I pinpointed the place where Newton Village Police/Fire dept is, see here: https://goo.gl/maps/Z6BKdVEGoxH2 that's the entirety of Newton.

I don't think it was handmade. It had a sizing tag on it that said it was size Large.
I'm focusing on the sweater now. I did a search for vintage trellis design sweaters and then turtlenecks. The following is the closest I came to anything. Does anyone think that IT could be handmade.

Vaguelly recalling my mother dragging me cloth stores, the sweater seems to be a mix of factory (tag) and handmade features.

For example, look at the trellis pattern. Not only is the pattern not uniform across the sweater, but the "squares" are not totally uniform in size. There also seems to be a smaller variation in the width of the "beams". Also, look at the way the trellis component is merged with the sleeves. The concave curve where the two fabric merge is close, but not exact (though the two sides may not be evenly smoothed out. Even still, there seems to be a noticable variation).

I wonder of the sweater was store bought, hence the tag and uniform neck, cuffs etc. Then a crafts type person modified it by creating the trellis pattern and then sewing it over the sweater? Or, was it factory made and designed to mimic home made features?

Why do her Doe Net and NamUs pages now say she was found in Newton? Where did that come from? I can't even locate a Newton, OH. I can find a Newton Falls, OH, but it's 3.5 hours away, and not even in Miami County? Pardon my confusion, I am just so lost.

I asked the same question, it should be in my early post history in this thread.

Vaguelly recalling my mother dragging me cloth stores, the sweater seems to be a mix of factory (tag) and handmade features.

For example, look at the trellis pattern. Not only is the pattern not uniform across the sweater, but the "squares" are not totally uniform in size. There also seems to be a smaller variation in the width of the "beams". Also, look at the way the trellis component is merged with the sleeves. The concave curve where the two fabric merge is close, but not exact (though the two sides may not be evenly smoothed out. Even still, there seems to be a noticable variation).

I wonder of the sweater was store bought, hence the tag and uniform neck, cuffs etc. Then a crafts type person modified it by creating the trellis pattern and then sewing it over the sweater? Or, was it factory made and designed to mimic home made features?

What you're describing is due to Carl trying to "fit" the sweater to her breast area. I remember him telling me it wasn't easy
Look at the photo on her NamUs Profile

Newton Township. It's technically where she was found. It's a bit of a window into how things work around here too. Enough people with enough money get fed up paying city taxes and they start harassing their city council rep or manage to get one of themselves elected and suddenly they are their own township. Concord Township consists of essentially one long country road. But it has its own elementary school, by gawd, and if you sent your kid to it you crow to everyone how much better it is than the Troy City elementary that's two miles away. :gaah:

Small town, small minds.

I'm sure this idea has been put out there but I'm adding this info if it helps- I've talked to older Native American men who were drug traffickers in the early 1970s-80s & they said they were used to travelling long distances to move drugs. (Keep in mind Reservations are often as desolate & troubled now as they were then.) If there is something to BG's outfit being geared towards attracting older men, it's most probably that she was trying to blend in if she was going on the Reservation with trafficking buddies. (Even today some of my off the Rez white friends have gotten into fights with people from the Rez while visting, it's kind of a wild culture.) Not trying to offend but there are enough light-skinned Natives that BG could have "passed" in that culture by blending in & being a good buddy/girlfriend to whoever she travelled with....She also might have been trying to look older since back then apparently if a young white girl was seen with an older ethnic man most small town people would immediately assume she was being pimped out by him.

Hope I didn't offend anyone but I felt like that should be mentioned.

Newton Township. It's technically where she was found. It's a bit of a window into how things work around here too. Enough people with enough money get fed up paying city taxes and they start harassing their city council rep or manage to get one of themselves elected and suddenly they are their own township. Concord Township consists of essentially one long country road. But it has its own elementary school, by gawd, and if you sent your kid to it you crow to everyone how much better it is than the Troy City elementary that's two miles away.
Nevermind my previous post on this page, then. I think found the correct Newton this time with the help of your post. There are like...5-6 "Newtons" in Ohio. There may be more.

This Newton was not mentioned anywhere on online maps. I only found it by searching places within Troy/Miami county and by looking at Concord Twp on the map since it's mentioned. Is this Concord Twp on Concord-Monroe otherwise known as county road 39? https://goo.gl/maps/StbqQU2DkCm

This page describes Newton in detail: http://www.thetroyhistoricalsociety.org/stories/hist1880/newton.htm I only read the first three paragraphs, this page is very long.

Newton Township. It's technically where she was found. It's a bit of a window into how things work around here too. Enough people with enough money get fed up paying city taxes and they start harassing their city council rep or manage to get one of themselves elected and suddenly they are their own township. Concord Township consists of essentially one long country road. But it has its own elementary school, by gawd, and if you sent your kid to it you crow to everyone how much better it is than the Troy City elementary that's two miles away. :gaah:

Small town, small minds.

Oh, I see. Thanks. Wish they indicated it was Newton Township, though I should've looked up more specific info. :doh:

Nevermind my previous post on this page, then. I think found the correct Newton this time with the help of your post. There are like...5-6 "Newtons" in Ohio. There may be more.

This Newton was not mentioned anywhere on online maps. I only found it by searching places within Troy/Miami county and by looking at Concord Twp on the map since it's mentioned. Is this Concord Twp on Concord-Monroe otherwise known as county road 39? https://goo.gl/maps/StbqQU2DkCm

This page describes Newton in detail: http://www.thetroyhistoricalsociety.org/stories/hist1880/newton.htm I only read the first three paragraphs, this page is very long.

Thanks for the Google Maps link. It looks pretty much like what I envisioned.

I like this idea. I didn't really notice the difference in size of the squares before (I do not have an idea for detail), bu now that you mention it, I see what you mean.

Thanks for the Google Maps link. It looks pretty much like what I envisioned.
Same here. BG was found just one mile directly north of Concord/Monroe road, so this has to be it. I guess some people are just way picky about the location. Tory or Newton, they're the same place anyway.

May be the sweater was cut when the autopsy was performed?
Otherwise, maybe BuckSkin had an interest in designing clothes,maybe at one of these schools?
Speculation, imo.

Not sure. If I look at the sweater close up, it does look like the patterned part was sewn on judging by the edges of the patterned part of the pattern and the sweater. But I just may be speculating so don't take my word for it.

I asked the same question, it should be in my early post history in this thread.

What you're describing is due to Carl trying to "fit" the sweater to her breast area. I remember him telling me it wasn't easy
Look at the photo on her NamUs Profile

Now that I see the real picture, it looks store made to me.

No but she had an 'S tatoo...I know someone that I have been reading about lately had one...anyone know an UID w/an 'S tatoo!! Just can't place it yet.

Has Patricia Lynn Taylor been ruled out?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/taylor_patricia.html

She had red hair and freckles. She had spent much of her life in South Dakota or Oklahoma (source of the jacket?) Last seen in 1980 or 1981. The foster care system sort of lost her? Or she ran away?

I noticed BG was brought up a lot on Patricia's Facebook page. They are pretty certain that she disappeared after April 1981, but since the records are lost and everything, I'm not putting too much stock into the date discrepancy. But I really don't think they're the same person. Patricia had a tattoo and had more extensive dental work than BG, and didn't have the porcelain-metal crown on tooth #8

You know I know who it was I saw w/an 'S tatoo....UID in Clark County Nevada in 1980...take a look see what you think

After NamUs removed the profile view of Buckskin Girl, I wanted to try and paint a portrait to depict her look from the profile view. (I was still able to find the PM photo in google images). I'm not the best at coloring (especially fabric), so I'm going to link a black and white version as well.

Buckskin Girl(coloredversion).jpg Buckskin Girl (b&w).jpg

You know I know who it was I saw w/an 'S tatoo....UID in Clark County Nevada in 1980...take a look see what you think

Have you checked names for the rule outs on the UID to see if Patricia has been ruled out? I don't think it's her just because Patricia had braces and the uid has a diastema.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18