Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Springrain: I don't think Patricia is our gal either, but admittedly my skill is not visual recognition. The best I've seen at this is our own Carl, artist extraordinaire.
I can't compare ears (the best gauge I know), or her distinctive profile.

I asked Carl about this match, of course. I hope he's OK with me putting this here. He said that they do look similar. He also said that Patricia's cheekbones are broader, Patricia's nose does not appear to project as much as Buckskin Girl's nose, and that Patricia has moles that do not appear on Buckskin Girl, on Patricia's right jawline and above the right corner of Patricia's mouth.

I asked Carl about this match, of course. I hope he's OK with me putting this here. He said that they do look similar. He also said that Patricia's cheekbones are broader, Patricia's nose does not appear to project as much as Buckskin Girl's nose, and that Patricia has moles that do not appear on Buckskin Girl, on Patricia's right jawline and above the right corner of Patricia's mouth.

From overlaying the pics, the cheekbones really do not appear broader at all. The mole however, that was a hangup for me as well at first, and it still troubles me. I'm just not 100% that it is a mole. One of the many news sites I looked at about Patricia's case had a higher resolution image if her picture than I had seen before. In that picture, the mole above the lip looks noticeably reddish in color, not brown like the others. Given the fact that she was 16 at the time, this might have just been a pimple. There is a small picture of her in another article that I looked at from another grade, and I was hoping I could blow that one up to see - if that blemish was on that pic too it probably is a mole and not a pimple. I just couldn't blow it up big enough to tell.

Their noses match up incredibly well from a frontal view, the measurements are spot on. But we have no profile view to compare for Patricia. But also, the pic we have of her is from when she was 15, taken at the beginning of her school year. She was 16 when she disappeared, and would have been 24 or 25 in April 1981. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes - I now facial features continue to change in the late teens as the body matures, but I can't say in exactly what ways or by how much.

Frustrating.

The mole on the right side of her mouth is a sticking point for me, too, but, that's the only one. Maybe it was removed with minimal scarring at some point. There's a blemish/discoloration/mole that appears on the right side Patricia's forehead that you can barely see in the portrait, but it matches up with a blemish/discoloration/mole on BG's pm photo, too.

One thing that really stands out to me is BG appears to have much thicker/denser hair than Patricia. If you compare the parts in their hair, BG's is more narrow and there's more volume to the hair along the part. For some reason this is a feature that I notice in people, and it's hard to explain why there would be such a noticeable hair density difference in the same person.

I've also thought Patricia's jaw looks a lot more square than Buckskin Girl's, but I know next to nothing about face structure and IIRC the female mandible keeps growing until age 17?

When I look at pm photos of Reet Jurvetson or Tammy Jo Alexander, I can see a resemblance in those photos compared to other pictures of them, but they do not look exact. I never would have guessed that either woman's faces were as round, especially their cheeks and somewhat, their chins, based on the pm photos. For example, to me, Reet's face looks longer in the pm photo than other pictures of her. I think I would have been able to recognize Tammy in a photo comparison, but never in a million years would I have guessed that the woman in the pm photo was Reet, based on the pictures. Part of it has to do with the angle of the pm photo, the other part the loss of firmness in the tissue after death.
Also, I'm almost certain that the portrait of Patricia is enhanced and retouched, yesterday's equivalent of photoshop, and the difference in hair could just be the way it was styled that day. My hair has a totally different looking texture when it's straightened or wet or if it's humid outside.

And we've had a number of "OMG that's exactly her/him!" photo matches that did not pan out when dentals etc. were checked.

Thought you guys would be interested in this long article but it's worth the read. It's about Vaughn Bryant, who tested the pollen on Cali/Tammy's clothes back in 2006, he came to the conclusion she was most likely from Southern Florida or Northern California. For the past 40 years, he has almost single-handedly pioneered Forensic Palynology in the United States from his lab at Texas A&M University. He has terminal prostate cancer, he was trying to research where to go to get help/ treatment but his cancer spread. Reminds me so much of my beloved dad who passed from terminal AML Leukemia in 2006 after it returned, it took so long to test us for stem cells that by the time they harvested stem cells for transplant, it was too late.

He talks about how forensic pollen work has never taken off in the US because of the chain of command and not being able to prove that an item the samples were taken from were not disturbed after being bagged. Forensic pollen work is used in New Zealand and the United Kingdom for court cases but not here.

He trained Andy Laurence who is the only full-time Forensic Palynologist in the country. Laurence tested Boston Baby Doe's (Bella Bond) items, Vaughn was ill, but assisted on the analysis. Their report pinpointed pollen from two types of cedar trees that grow at the Boston Arboretum and said that the child must have lived nearby. When ID'd, it came out that she lived 2 blocks from the Arboretum. Unfortunately, the pollen evidence wasn't used in the trials against her mother or boy friend which could have been a huge victory to start using pollen evidence in court.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) has been advocating the use of forensic pollen analysis in certain cases for more than a year now, hopefully it will start catching on, but with Vaughn terminal he believes his pollen laboratory at Texas A&M will be closed. He doesn't know what will happen to all of his samples and the work he has built up since he started around 1975, hopefully his students Andy Laurence and Sophie Warny want it. I feel that after he's gone, the US will start trying cases with pollen evidence. Unfortunately he won't be able to see his legacy, but hopefully his wife and any children, grandchildren will.

Vaughn Bryant Uses Pollen to Pinpoint Where a Victim has Been and Maybe Solve a Crime - By Dianna Wray - Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 6 a.m.

Working in his lab at Texas A&M University in College Station in August 2006, Vaughn Bryant, garbed in a lab gown and gloves, gently lifts the blood-spattered clothes from the brown paper bags they’ve been stored in for decades.

He lays the clothes out, a button-down plaid cotton shirt, tan corduroys, blue socks, brown ripple-sole shoes, a pair of underwear, a bra and an oversize red windbreaker with black stripes down the arms, too large for the petite frame of the girl who wore it. Bryant has everything but the turquoise necklace the girl, known only as “Caledonia Jane Doe,” was wearing on November 10, 1979, when she walked into a cornfield in western New York and was shot twice, once in the back and once in the back of the head.

She has no identification, and over the years, she has never matched any missing persons report. Her body lay there all night just outside the small town of Caledonia, New York, rain washing away most of the evidence. By the time a farmer discovered her the next morning, the killer was long gone. The only hints law enforcement had about where she came from were the tan lines on her skin.

She was buried in a local cemetery under a stone marked “Jane Doe,”although investigators had quickly nicknamed her “Caledonia Jane Doe,” or “Cali Doe” for short. In the following years, tips poured in to leading law enforcement officers from all around the country. John York, the first officer on the scene, was eventually elected sheriff of Livingston County, and he continued to pursue the case. During his decades as sheriff he traveled to prisons in Texas and Florida to interview 64 serial killers who claimed to be the murderer.

The reconstructed image of the girl, complete down to the dyed blond ends of her hair, turned up nothing. When DNA testing became an accepted forensic practice, officials exhumed her body in 2005 to collect samples and conduct tests, again without any success. Despite decades of effort, she was still a girl without a name, and without an identity, there was little chance of finding her killer.

In 2006, York decided to bring in a pollen scientist to see if pollen analysis would reveal where she could have been from. “It was another option,” York says now. “I do a lot of research on crime analysis, and I’ll use any bizarre means to try and solve a crime. It never hurts to try.” Bryant was the only such scientist in the United States at the time.

Investigators shipped Bryant the girl’s clothes, still in the bags they’d been tucked into by a medical examiner more than 20 years before.

“I imagined her parents, how they must feel to have had a daughter disappear, and I wanted to help give her a name, her own name,” Bryant says now. He examined the crime-scene photos for clues, not to the murder but to the plants in the area. Bryant taped the girl’s picture to the door of his forensic lab.
He went to work, running a powerful fist-size vacuum nozzle over every item repeatedly, tucking it into the pockets of her pants, the folds of her shirt, the nooks and crannies of every piece of clothing, to pull every grain of pollen he possibly could from the clothes.

Also, I'm almost certain that the portrait of Patricia is enhanced and retouched, yesterday's equivalent of photoshop, and the difference in hair could just be the way it was styled that day. My hair has a totally different looking texture when it's straightened or wet or if it's humid outside.

The difference that I’m seeing in the hair is in the density of the root region, which wouldn’t be effected by hair products or humidity. BG has much denser hair, meaning more hairs per square inch of scalp. And even though her hair is wet, it has more volume in the root area than Patricia’s hair does.

This is something that I’ve been noticing in people after having a health issue that caused my hair density to decrease. I’m currently working on regrowing my hair, and I measure my progress on how wide my part is and how much scalp is visible. I wish there was a hair product that made it look like I have denser hair, and I bet it would make someone a fortune :)

I agree that Patricia should be compared to BG; I just don't think that they are the same person.

I would love to be able to do this. I wish this had been a well known thing when I was in college back in the stone ages.

Wish I could chime in with something useful. I did get a screenshot from the video done a year ago, and it's the only photo I could manage to find of her burial. Imgur link is here. Unfortunately, the photo quality is pretty bad, and I don't know how to (or even if there is a way to) fix the image quality. I've also tried to attach it. Hopefully, that worked. The head of the detective section at the time she was found (who now works there as custodian for evidence rooms) was one of the men acting as a pallbearer for her burial.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tpallbearerbglarge.png
    tpallbearerbglarge.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 191
And we've had a number of "OMG that's exactly her/him!" photo matches that did not pan out when dentals etc. were checked.

Martha Morrison for Orange Socks and Aundria Bowman for Racine County Jane Doe come to mind.

The difference that I’m seeing in the hair is in the density of the root region, which wouldn’t be effected by hair products or humidity. BG has much denser hair, meaning more hairs per square inch of scalp. And even though her hair is wet, it has more volume in the root area than Patricia’s hair does.

This is something that I’ve been noticing in people after having a health issue that caused my hair density to decrease. I’m currently working on regrowing my hair, and I measure my progress on how wide my part is and how much scalp is visible. I wish there was a hair product that made it look like I have denser hair, and I bet it would make someone a fortune :)

I agree that Patricia should be compared to BG; I just don't think that they are the same person.

Great point about density in the root region! Now that I study the pictures, everything adds up well. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but it appears to me that Buckskin Girl has a slightly higher hairline than Patricia. All the best of luck regrowing your hair :) Someone should make a hair product addressing that issue.

To me, the main similarities between Buckskin Girl and Patricia are their eyes and lips. They both have beautiful, slightly sad looking (to me, anyway) brown eyes and they have similar lips. The eyebrows are clearly different, but they can be restyled. I feel their chins are very different. They have different complexions, but that changes frequently (I'm much rosier and more freckled than I was a month ago, due to spending more time in the sun), so I suppose that doesn't count for much. The hair density is different, too. Just MOO as always. :moo:

The isotope analysis results have been released! I saw them on the Facebook page of Dr. Elizabeth Murray, Forensic Anthropologist. I shared it to the Who Was Buckskin Girl? page as well. They are very interesting!

"The latest testing on her hair shows a chronology that includes travel (several trips) to north-central Texas and/or southern Oklahoma in the year prior to her death, as well as time spent in "cooler climates" (which could be the Northeastern US, as the pollen studies indicated). These stable isotope tests on hair show the same type of chronology as drug studies might, but provide a geographic history based on groundwater isotopes that we incorporate into our bodies from food/drink we consume (rather than showing a history/chronology of substance abuse). This 'Buckskin Girl' may have been reported missing in the Northeast US (if that's where she lived), rather than the Southwest US (where she was traveling) -- but someone in either region may know something that could help."

So, sounds like she spent a lot of time travelling to a very specific area in the Southwest. She had a personal reason to be there. Wonder if it could have been for work, to see somebody...I'll have to think about this for an hour or so, let my brainstorming start. What do y'all think about this?

The isotope analysis results have been released! I saw them on the Facebook page of Dr. Elizabeth Murray, Forensic Anthropologist. I shared it to the Who Was Buckskin Girl? page as well. They are very interesting!

"The latest testing on her hair shows a chronology that includes travel (several trips) to north-central Texas and/or southern Oklahoma in the year prior to her death, as well as time spent in "cooler climates" (which could be the Northeastern US, as the pollen studies indicated). These stable isotope tests on hair show the same type of chronology as drug studies might, but provide a geographic history based on groundwater isotopes that we incorporate into our bodies from food/drink we consume (rather than showing a history/chronology of substance abuse). This 'Buckskin Girl' may have been reported missing in the Northeast US (if that's where she lived), rather than the Southwest US (where she was traveling) -- but someone in either region may know something that could help."

So, sounds like she spent a lot of time travelling to a very specific area in the Southwest. She had a personal reason to be there. Wonder if it could have been for work, to see somebody...I'll have to think about this for an hour or so, let my brainstorming start. What do y'all think about this?

Going to college there?

Going to college there?

Going to college in the Northeast, and visiting home in TX/OK periodically? I can see that. She could've gotten the jacket when in the Southwest.

If she was on the younger end of the age range, she could've stayed mainly with one parent in the Northeast and periodically visited her other parent in the Southwest. I don't personally think she is on the lower end of the age range, though the guy working her case now feels she looks around 15. I'm 16, and I just don't see her as someone within a year or two of my age. But I've been babbling on that point for a while, and I have got no real idea.

What great news! Seems to me that the girlfriend of a truck driver who was based either in the northeast or in the north Texas/Oklahoma area with regular frequent runs to the alternate area might fit the isotopes here. Or, if it was a hitchhiker situation, she PERSONALLY had reason to travel between both places. Of course, that doesn't rule out the biker angle either.

I would like to know how "northeast" is being defined though. Does that include Ohio? PA? WVA? Or are those areas considered Midwest?

What great news! Seems to me that the girlfriend of a truck driver who was based either in the northeast or in the north Texas/Oklahoma area with regular frequent runs to the alternate area might fit the isotopes here. Or, if it was a hitchhiker situation, she PERSONALLY had reason to travel between both places. Of course, that doesn't rule out the biker angle either.

I would like to know how "northeast" is being defined though. Does that include Ohio? PA? WVA? Or are those areas considered Midwest?

Love that theory! That would make sense! That truck driver boyfriend could also add in nicely if he was the killer, and he could say something along the lines of "Oh, she ran off in [blank city], and I never saw her again." Then, the family tried to file a report, was not allowed to due to her being over eighteen...

Going by the original pollen results, it says Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and possibly other nearby states. The "cool climate" description seems to corroborate this, but it's kind of vague. So I don't know.

So many possible theories! I am really hopeful that the new tips and clues rolling in help to identify her!

Dallas comes to mind. I was just talking about this yesterday with some coworkers, how many of my classmates headed to Texas in the early 80s after high school. I guess there was a technology boom in TX in the 80s, similar to Silicon Valley, that I wasn't aware of but Dallas was the "it" place for some reason, for my class.

Thanks for sharing this! Good to see the results. Did they provide a map, like they did for the Allenstown victims?
The results read like what we already suspected based on the pollen testing- it paints a picture of her recent travels and whereabouts, but does not tell us where she was born and raised. I think we need to go further back in her history, IMHO.

Going to college in the Northeast, and visiting home in TX/OK periodically? I can see that. She could've gotten the jacket when in the Southwest.

If she was on the younger end of the age range, she could've stayed mainly with one parent in the Northeast and periodically visited her other parent in the Southwest. I don't personally think she is on the lower end of the age range, though the guy working her case now feels she looks around 15. I'm 16, and I just don't see her as someone within a year or two of my age. But I've been babbling on that point for a while, and I have got no real idea.

I meant the other way around, from the northeast going to college in Oklahoma/Texas, but it works either way. Mid-April is about the right time for her to have been traveling for spring break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member