Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I also thought Ireland. I moved to Ohio in mid 90's and at that time my daughter attended a day camp which hired most of their employees from Ireland for the summer. Perhaps that has been going on for quite awhile. Who knows? How odd you got the idea yesterday too!

I realized that the day camp was a year-round YMCA Horsecamp and just out of curiousity I googled Miami County YMCA camp. There is one in Troy (which is where she was found) and I wondered if back in the 80's if it 1) was still present and 2) if it had a horse camp also. I sent an email to see if they could tell me some history back in the 80's. Just a longshot but hey, worth a try!

There is also a Nature Center on Horseshoe Rd that has been in existence since 1974 and perhaps back in '81 the police stopped in there or maybe not?
What if her hair is in braids because she was a rider/trainer or took care of horses? Her attire could even be "western". I emailed to find their history back in the 1980's. I guess Horseshoe would have been named for horses, right? Just got me thinking...!!

Thanks kat.

*Edited...
Good posibility! I wonder though if she had been riding, would she would have horse hair, horse/animal coat wax, markings on her clothing, from horses? - Was it on her profile or reported in msm? Though, I dont know what details that took forensically. She could have changed after riding.

I saw the Nature Centre too and wondered if she had been there. Mainly because she had no shoes on when she was found. I wondered if she had been somewhere close where she didn't need shoes (a home, a ranch, a car, a camper) - or possibly they were removed from her.
Though it was very cold at that time - if she had been hitchhiking her feet would have been frozen... I dont know if it snows in OHIO.

I wondered if the weather could have helped preserve the body - though I dont know what such cold weather would have done to her blood/injuries/clothing.

Does anyone know... Had she been in the elements overnight? or was she deceased the night before and then put on Greenlee road during the next day?

OHIO Weather - Troy: Thursday 23rd April 1981

Thursday 23rd April 1981 - day before found
8 degrees celcius 6am
17 degrees celcius 4pm

Overnight - midnight = 9 degrees celcius

Friday 24th April 1981 - day found
4 degrees celcius 8am
4 degrees celcis 3pm
7 degrees celcius 7pm

Your right FigTree, there would have been hair. Wonder how diligent they were in 1981 with forensics? Also her jacket does not seem adequate for those temps (although April), so she must have had another one (which she may have left along with her shoes...perhaps she got comfortable somewhere with someone...even though she was not sexually abused).
I have a friend who is in the Ohio horse world and would have been about the same age as poor Buckskin Girl in 1981. I'll send her the picture and see if it rings a bell or any of her facebook friends. Worth a shot, I suppose?

I did a thread search and didn't find this name -
What out in stats: Height / Weight/pregnant - though she did go missing in 1979, she could have put on weight - she may also not have delivered a pregnancy.

Though she is from OHIO - 4 hours away from where she went missing from in 1979.

Evelyn Louise Davis
Missing Since: June 21, 1979 from East Liverpool, Columbiana County, Ohio
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: July 29, 1962
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Scar on lower lip.
Medical Conditions: She was 4 months pregnant at the time of her
disappearance.
Clothing: Blue jeans with red mark on back. V-neck T-shirt with
yellow and white horizontal stripes and white trim.

Details of Disappearance
Evelyn was reportedly picked up on Penna Avenue, next to Franks Carryout in East Liverpool, Ohio. She left all of her personal belongings at home at the time of her disappearance.

Comparison

Thoughts?

Good work FigTree...a possibility. Although I still believe her hair was red, no? I don't think that could be mistaken unless one is auburn and it is just listed as brown. Anything is possible which would make her a probable runaway if that is the scenario and then being murdered 2 years later. Possible..

Good work FigTree...a possibility. Although I still believe her hair was red, no? I don't think that could be mistaken unless one is auburn and it is just listed as brown. Anything is possible which would make her a probable runaway if that is the scenario and then being murdered 2 years later. Possible..

Thanks kat - and yes, you're right.
I'm stretching a bit here, I know ;)
I think I was more surprised she wasn't yet on the ruled-out list, and she was from OHIO.

I will submit her, just so that she is off the list if it isn't a match.
The list will soon reach 100!

wouldnt they be able to see that buckskin girl had been pregnant?

I think I have made a mistake...perhaps I missed all this throughout the forum (thought I read it all!) It seems Buckskin Girl was the first victim of "The Ohio Prostitute Killer" who was convicted and died in prison. His name was Dennis Hetzel and he was a truckdriver. Troy is only a few minutes off both Interstates 70 and 75. So, I guess that does mean she was from the the United States! It's a shame because she was someone's daughter yet maybe nobody reported her missing. It certainly is a needle in a haystack!

Oh now I read there's a possibility he is not connected....I think I am gonna take a nap!

wouldnt they be able to see that buckskin girl had been pregnant?

Possibly but Im not sure what they checked for.

Evelyn Louise Davis may have miscarried, or left to have a termination and not returned home, she may not have delivered (for whatever reason).
It may also have been the pregnancy detail as to why she hasn't been considered.
It was 2 years between her going missing and when Buckskin girl was found.
Im not sure that a pregnancy only carried to 12-16 weeks would be detectable 2 years down the track in an autopsy - if they did check for such a thing.

Its a slim chance - but who knows - anything is possible.
:)

I have submitted Evelyn Davis to NAMUS.
If she is not a match at least she can be placed on the rule-out list.

I don't know the exact location she was found but location IS important in most if not all of these cases. It goes to the mindset of the perp as well as opportunity, wanting body secluded or dumping along the way like a bag of garbage, etc.

Just wanted to say thanks for the map. Good observation and question!

If I were actively researching this case, I would compare the geographical location at the time of death to the current demographics. What, if any clubs, bars, social events were happening in that area at that time? I do know that OH an PA have civil war recreations about that time each year. However, I don't hold by the notion her jacket was part of a costume. I thnk this was just a "normal" piece of clothing for her. All this speculation of course.

I find it interesting the general area is off I75.

Someone suggested a trucker possibly dumped her. But consider if a trucker left his route why would he go this distance and not seclude her body? Why not just along the Interstate? The area seems somewhat sparce now. I can only imagine it was even more so then.

Also my opinion: I believe resolution of this case hinges on real investigation - not photo comparison unless someone gets "lucky". There are clues (ex: map). Was this young woman from the south headed to thw World Fair in Canada? I have heard that suggested, and can't rule that out since many young folks did hitch rides for that event.

The map is very important! A trip to the past in that area would be interesting. Again, MO.

ADDING: Do you know on which side of the road the UP was located?

March 26, 2012
Source: Examiner.com - Read More...
Over three decades ago, on April 24, 1981, her body was located in a ditch on Greenlee Road, between Fenner and Horshoe Bend Roads, in rural Miami County, Ohio. These long country roads are near State Route 55 in Miami County. She was fully clothed, but bare-footed and police estimated she was killed, murdered, the day before. She had been beaten severely about the face and head and strangled to death.The area in which this young woman was located is considered Newton Township.

Map of South Greenlee Road (Centre line) between Fenner (top horizontal road) and Horseshoe Bend (Bottom horizontal road)
Note: The A is not a location marker of where Buckskin Girl was found - it is a Google reference point of Greenlee Road.

Does anyone know the exact location of where she was found on this road?

picture.php

Google Map LINK

I find it interesting that there are wooded areas close to the location where BSG was found - but she wasn't placed in the woods, but in the open.
I do not know if the area has changed much since 1981 - the houses along the road look new and well maintained.

I dont know that the location where she was found is useful for her identification, but I thought I would place it here, in case.

FigTree,

Looking at your map, Greenlee Road at 37 is where the A marker is. Now go south and the next road crossing Greenlee is road 38 which is Finner Road. Now go further south to the next road. That is Horseshoe Bend at Greenlee. The UP was found between 37 and 38. Getting the side of the road she was found on, may be helpful later.

Something interesting if it existed then, is that Brukner nature center is just to the west of Greenlee at Horseshoe Bend road. I don't know why that would be interesting, but it would be one element I would research for that time perion.

Suggestion, switch your map to the regular view with street names. :)

I see someone has already mentioned the Nature Center. I will read before posting! Thanks!

I have a question that I know someone can answer because I am so new to this. Are all the missing persons in NamUs automatically cross-refrenced and ruled out with the unidentified persons in the database? It seems like a dumb question because you would think that's logical that the computer would do that but could something go wrong and a case slip through? Check out
. It has some similarities...car accident which may explain some scars...plus coming from a foster home she may have just stayed a runaway until her murder. Anyway I was compelled to post it for others.

I was attempting to include a picture but I think it failed. So, it is Cheryl Wyant whom I found in the NamUs database...someone just look and tell me what you think! Thanks

FigTree,

Looking at your map, Greenlee Road at 37 is where the A marker is. Now go south and the next road crossing Greenlee is road 38 which is Finner Road. Now go further south to the next road. That is Horseshoe Bend at Greenlee. The UP was found between 37 and 38. Getting the side of the road she was found on, may be helpful later.

Something interesting if it existed then, is that Brukner nature center is just to the west of Greenlee at Horseshoe Bend road. I don't know why that would be interesting, but it would be one element I would research for that time perion.

Suggestion, switch your map to the regular view with street names. :)
BBM

I spoke with Lt. Steve Lord several months ago, and he told me that BG was found on the east side of the street, about halfway up the block between Horseshoe Bend Road (37) and Fenner Road (38).

South Greenlee Rd - Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member