OK OK - Jamison Family; Truck, IDs and Dog Found Abandoned, 8 Oct 2009 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have in the past taken at face value - well, relatively - IB's efforts in solving the case (in spite of the apparent total botching of the early investigation).
Agreed. I think the poor guy had NO IDEA what he was up against with this weird case, especially at first when it was MOST crucial. I think he figured they'd be found almost right away, maybe dead but hopefully alive. Then they weren't found... and weren't, and weren't...

I suspect this case has truly haunted him and caused him many a sleepless night. It certainly would me, in his position. Especially if I felt I'd botched it early on, not realizing the seriousness. I'd feel enormous guilt and shame, like I had not lived up to my position. I'd throw my efforts into finding out more, which he seems to have done.

In other words, LE was probably fairly careless and casual at first -- to the case's great detriment, no doubt, what with the contents of the truck and all -- then, realizing the serious nature of the case (perhaps through Beauchamp), they tightened down and focused. I imagine it fairly suddenly became, "Now, wait just a god-dang minute, here. We need to take a look at this here, real close." (Or the OK equivalent. I am from S. Ohio/N. Kentucky.)

That would be understandable, since this was a rural jurisdiction where it seems meth busts were the most dramatic thing they'd ever come across.

Admittedly, though, I may have "confirmation bias" toward Beauchamp because I found him verrry attractive in the Disappeared show -- all the more so since he didn't seem showy or conceited like most handsome men, just quietly sincere and concerned. Oooh la la.

I think, and honestly I'm just guessing here, that whoever said he talked to the Jamisons on the 9th was misremembering the date. It wasn't until a week after the truck was found that the existence of the security video was discovered and it did prove what day the Jamisons last left their house.
Ditto that.

Feel free to take up that gauntlet. I have another project up my sleeve to stay busy while we await further developments.
Ohhhh nooo, not I! there are so many so much more versed in this case than me!! I can't even keep stuff straight. :( Though I can in another case, the one that really made me focus on WS. (Not the McStays)

Would so love to hear more from mtrooper about any of this. She is really the expert.

(But wfgodot, you sir are the most amusing, at least to this English Lit major. "Let's go." "We can't." "Why not?" "We're waiting for... er... more info on the Jamisons."

ha

Re: the Disappeared episode and the OETA video

How about transcripts for easy reference? Anyone think we need transcripts? Because I can do transcripts.

ETA: Got clearance from mod Bessie and am halfway through the OETA show already. And can I just say that Sheriff RB is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier? PO's me to no end, grrrr...

Well, I don't know if "glad" is the word I'd use. I thought is was more of a

:trainwreck:

The "reporter" said the security video showed the Jamisons sitting in their house staring into space for hours at a time. Really? There were only two cameras that I know of and they were mounted on the outside of the house.

I want to say something about that security video, BTW. You know, when Hubby and I are packing the car for a day trip, we don't stop to kiss and cuddle in the driveway. We each make numerous trips back and forth between the house and the car, carrying drinks, snacks, laptops, coats, gifts for the grandbabies, etc. The kiddo is old enough to tote her own stuff now but, when she was six, I also had to pack books and toys and a CD player to keep her entertained on the trip. You know what else? Sometimes I stop and stare into space while running through a mental checklist to make sure I'm not forgetting to bring anything.

We can only watch a brief edited clip from that video but, I want to ask you, if you turn off the sound and put everything out of your mind that you've been told about how odd the Jamisons were acting, what do you really see?

I haven't caught up on today's posts yet, but just watched this airing from yesterday and WTH? That was awful. First off, the "reporter" stated the family was from a town called Eufala in NE OK at Grand Lake. Wrong! And the comment from the same reporter about the family staring for hours? I'm so confused.

And I could not agree more OkieGranny, about the surveillance video. Of course LE could have hours more footage than I have seen, but from what I have seen, I can't make out any strange behavior. They seem to be in a hurry, if anything, trying to get loaded up quickly. MOO of course.

I think that video is a Rorschach test. I don't think LE was lying or being misleading about their interpretation of it. But I think their interpretation was formed based on assumptions they made or things they knew or thought they knew about the Jamisons. I haven't watched it since I watched whatever snippet of it they showed on Disappeared, but I remember at the time, thinking, "I don't get it. What is LE seeing here that I'm not?"

I saw it on the ID show, and I was completely buying there was something very wrong with them. I disagreed that it was meth b/c it looked like they were on a downer, not an upper. After I read this, I went back to that clip from the show. Now I agree there's nothing there. I was biased by the show. If I watch it with no audio, you can't tell anything is wrong.

The "video" only shows about a frame a second. It's not real video. I assumed this was an inherent limitation of the equipment. Was there high-frame-rate video recorded and not shown on the ID show?

Re: the Disappeared episode and the OETA video

How about transcripts for easy reference? Anyone think we need transcripts? Because I can do transcripts.

I know you can do transcripts...I've been following the Molly Miller case. lol

http://newsok.com/eufaula-familys-fate-remains-mystery/article/3458228

Of course this can be doubted I suppose, but it is reported by the state's largest newspaper based on reporters having visited the scene, in the first case - yes, there are pictures - and, in the second, via the then-sheriff of Latimer County.

If you have "a pretty solid source," what is that source?

The article reports that Sheriff Beauchamp believed they were going to live in the container. It doesn't say how Beauchamp learned this information. Did he have a letter or other paperwork written by the Jamison's? Or is it something someone who knew them said?

Jamison Family Mystery, broadcast by OETA on September 16, 2011

http://www.oeta.tv/component/video/2479.html

Key to participants:
NAR: Narrator
SRB: Sheriff Robbie Brooks
SJ: Starlet Jamison
NS: Niki Shenold
DJA: Deputy Jeremy Anderson

NAR: The disappearance of the Jamison family of Eufaula, Oklahoma is a complex mystery. For nearly two years, missing persons posters have been circulating, asking for clues as to what happened to them. Bobby Jamison, his wife, Sherilyn, and their six-year-old daughter, Madyson, were last know to be alive on October 8, 2009. There are no solid leads in the case.

SRB: It doesn't make sense to anybody. None of their actions make any sense to anybody that's ever looked at the case.

NAR: Latimer County Sheriff Robbie Brooks says he has a few theories, one being:

SRB: Well, I believe that she could have taken him out and committed, you know, murder-suicide. Committed murder on him and Madyson, and killed herself.

NAR: Bobby Jamison's mother, Star Jamison, thinks this:

SJ: It just doesn't sit right with me. I think they were abducted. I really do. I just don't know what else could have happened.

NAR: Sherilyn's best friend, Niki Shenold, feels this way:

NS: I can't say why or how, but I think that somebody killed them, and I think someone has Madyson, and I'm going to find her. I'm going to find her.

NAR: What is known about the case is that the family left their $300,000 house on Lake Eufaula, that they couldn't afford anymore, for a road trip on October 8. With GPS coordinates in hand, they headed for a remote area in Latimer County 60 miles from their home. Finding it is no easy task. The journey is a 7-mile trek up a small mountain with many options for turning onto other dirt roads. It's a treacherous climb. After several turns, you finally reach a small plateau. It was created for a well site. Deputy Jeremy Anderson is our guide.

DJA: Most of the people that come up and live up in this area are people that are more or less interested in kind of separating themselves from society.

NAR: The property for sale is up and beyond this bluff. Investigators say they know the Jamisons spent some time here. An abandoned vehicle had been spray-painted with religious graffiti. It's believed Sherilyn did the painting because it matches similar graffiti on a metal container they had purchased to move to the wilderness and live in. Another indication of their time here: a picture of little Madyson taken on a family cell phone as she sat on rocks in the area. That cell phone was found inside the family's locked truck on October 17, nine days after the Jamisons were last seen. Their truck was discovered on a dirt road used to enter the well site property by some people on four-wheelers.

DJA: This area was, like, right in here is where the truck was found. The nose was, nose down like it was leaving the location.

NAR: Inside the truck was Madyson's small dog, Maisie. She was near death. Everything appeared as if the family planned to return.

DJA: They'd left the cell phones, their dog, and a substantial amount of cash, and jackets and everything else. And, like I said, it was getting toward the cooler time of the year.

NAR: Extensive searches of the area took place days after the Jamisons' truck was discovered. Three hundred thirty volunteers, along with law enforcement, scoured the area by air, foot, and with horse teams. Did they simply get lost in a vast, dense, uninhabited area? Or was there something more sinister at play?

SRB: She claimed to her neighbors that she was a witch and she was going to cast spells on them and this and that.

NAR: The investigation showed that Sherilyn had a very troubled mind. She suffered from bi-polar disorder and was on and off her medication. Her journal writings were found in the abandoned vehicle and in their Eufaula home. The large case file includes some of Sherilyn's writings. Some indicate a marriage in ruins.

"You're a very toxic person. You need to find happiness. You contaminate everything that you're around. It breaks my heart. I'm sad to my soul that you have turned into the monster you are. I would not wish my daughter to be raised in foster care because of you being in prison for attempted murder and her mother dead."

NAR: But just three days before the family went missing, she wrote this:

"Bobby Jamison, a genius, a man with special gifts, a loving and tender soul. With all my love and soul always and forever, Sherilyn, Hippy Chic."

NAR: According to the case file, Bobby was troubled in the days before they disappeared. He and Sherilyn met with a minister. These are investigative notes from that meeting:

"Sheri said in a meeting that she could speak to the dead and her daughter had the same power. Bobby told Gary Brandon, the pastor, that he was afraid of the demons and was looking at high-powered shells online. Bobby said between 2 and 4am, spirits walking on the roof. October 2nd and 3rd the last time he saw them. Bobby on the phone trying to find special bullets, reading Satanic Bible for natural remedies."

NAR: Contrary to Bobby's disturbing thoughts and behavior is a statement from a man who talked to Bobby on October 7. That was the day the family drove to the remote Latimer County location, where they were unable to find their way to the land for sale.

"He was upbeat and friendly and we talked a long time, as I do with many folks. Most often I meet with people but he mostly wanted my GPS numbers so he could go find the land. He said he had a Blackberry phone with GPS on it, and they were adventuresome and wanted to check it out themselves."

NAR: Sheriff Brooks doesn't see the couple that way.

SRB: I believe that they were probably high on drugs, high on methamphetamine at the time that they went up to visit the property, the last time they went to visit the property. That they got out of their car and they wandered off into the mountains.

NAR: From what you're gathering, from the information you've gathered, both were frequent meth users.

SRB: Yes.

NAR: Every day?

SRB: Yes.

NAR: However, Bobby's mother, Star, and Sherilyn's best friend, Niki, don't buy that. We met with them at the Jamisons' home on Lake Eufaula. The couple renovated it. Everything in the home is high-end. The house is the antithesis of their talked-about new life living in a container in the wilderness. Star lived with the couple here for four months, taking care of Madyson when Sherilyn was suffering from depression.

SJ: So if I was out in the yard, she'd be right there with me. But it'd be funny, she had the best time.

NAR: Star explains she was estranged from the couple in the months leading up to the disappearance because of Sherilyn's emotional problems. Niki says she last talked to her friend ten days before the family vanished.

NS: She showed up at my door with Madyson.

NAR: Niki says Sherilyn wasn't in her right mind, but she knows from her experience with meth many years ago that Sherilyn was not using.

NS: When someone is on that drug, you just know how they act. And Sherilyn was acting like she wasn't on her medication, but she was not using. I mean, and I can tell you that, had she been, there definitely would have been something found in the house.

NAR: Both Niki and Star say there was also no meth evidence in their abandoned truck. Star says everything was normal in the house, but there was evidence the two were searching for religious guidance.

SJ: They had their Bibles laying out on the table. They had all of the dictionaries and things of the Bible, I mean, big thick books.

NAR: She says Bobby's actions were not that of a man going off the deep end.

SJ: And the day before all this happened, Bobby was checking into schools for Madyson.

NAR: Star believes the couple was back on track in their marriage. Still, both Star and Niki are troubled about so many aspects of the case. Niki says Sherilyn and Bobby had a handyman living with them in the weeks before the disappearance. Niki says Sherilyn, who boasted about her Native American heritage, was scared of him.

NS: He sat down right next to her, probably as close as we are, and told her, you know, I'm a white supremacist and people like you should die or I should kill you or something like that because you're not pure.

NAR: She says Sherilyn retrieved a gun from upstairs and shot at the ground outside near the handyman when he refused to leave. After that he did leave. Star and Niki are also disturbed by the picture of Madyson taken in the area of the well site.

NS: The picture of Madyson on the cell phone is a big one for me.

NAR: Why?

NS: She looks terrified. That's not her smile. That's not her face when she's happy.

SJ: They showed Madyson with her arms crossed and Madyson never did that before. And she was looking away from the camera. She wasn't looking at the camera.

NAR: Sheriff Brooks believes the family's bones are somewhere on the mountain. He thinks they were either the victims of a double murder and suicide, or they got lost and died of exposure.

SRB: But, you know, I may be wrong. The Mexican Mafia could have done it.

NAR: Why do you say Mexican Mafia? Where does that come from?

SRB: That's the theory. Because Bobby's dad, it was alleged that he was linked to the Mexican Mafia and they had burned one of his businesses down in Oklahoma City.

NAR: Bobby's father died of natural causes in December of 2009. According to investigators, he was estranged from Bobby and left his estate to Madyson. Niki and Star agreed to this interview in hopes of restarting an investigation that has stalled.

NS: I'm just saying it seems like people are just too quick to sweep this family under the rug. It's not right. They're people.

They must have been high on meth-yet the FACT is no meth was found. I realize that doesn't mean they weren't or there wasn't any but how in the world can you base a conclusion on hearsay?

They must have been high on meth-yet the FACT is no meth was found. I realize that doesn't mean they weren't or there wasn't any but how in the world can you base a conclusion on hearsay?

That sheriff and his opinions just really got under my skin. Ugh, dislike! Daily meth users? Based on what? Gossip around town from people who never met the Jamisons but read how crazy they were in the newspapers?

Thankfully he's no longer in office. Latimer County is now on Sheriff #3 in the four years since the Jamisons went missing.

The article reports that Sheriff Beauchamp believed they were going to live in the container. It doesn't say how Beauchamp learned this information. Did he have a letter or other paperwork written by the Jamison's? Or is it something someone who knew them said?

There was a person who spoke to the Jamisons on the mountain and told LE they'd mentioned the idea. As far as I know, there was no concrete plan in the works, just something they were thinking about when they went out to look at the land.

That sheriff and his opinions just really got under my skin. Ugh, dislike! Daily meth users? Based on what? Gossip around town from people who never met the Jamisons but read how crazy they were in the newspapers?

Thankfully he's no longer in office. Latimer County is now on Sheriff #3 in the four years since the Jamisons went missing.

Yeah, he came off like a gossip queen, just spouting off the juiciest rumors as if he hadn't even read the case file on them. He didn't seem to take it seriously!

Why do you think they are on their 3rd sheriff. I think it may be to keep the person in that role in a newbie status, to keep them from really getting to the bottom of things. I also thought it could be innocent, that maybe since it is a small town someone might take the job as sheriff until a "bigger" and "better" job becomes available somewhere else.

Wow, that sheriff... I'll just say that I don't have anything nice to say about him. He believed they were daily meth users based on what? Admittedly, I haven't studied every piece of evidence in this case, but I thought I read here that no meth or paraphernalia was found in their home. Is there a link somewhere to that effect?

I do have some issues with IB but that's probably influenced by my belief that he botched this case from the start and I think he's painfully aware of that. This was only the highest-profile case he's ever likely to encounter in his entire LE career, and he blew it by making easy assumptions instead of collecting evidence.

Agreed. I think the poor guy had NO IDEA what he was up against with this weird case, especially at first when it was MOST crucial. I think he figured they'd be found almost right away, maybe dead but hopefully alive. Then they weren't found... and weren't, and weren't...

I suspect this case has truly haunted him and caused him many a sleepless night. It certainly would me, in his position. Especially if I felt I'd botched it early on, not realizing the seriousness. I'd feel enormous guilt and shame, like I had not lived up to my position. I'd throw my efforts into finding out more, which he seems to have done.

In other words, LE was probably fairly careless and casual at first -- to the case's great detriment, no doubt, what with the contents of the truck and all -- then, realizing the serious nature of the case (perhaps through Beauchamp), they tightened down and focused. I imagine it fairly suddenly became, "Now, wait just a god-dang minute, here. We need to take a look at this here, real close." (Or the OK equivalent. I am from S. Ohio/N. Kentucky.)

That would be understandable, since this was a rural jurisdiction where it seems meth busts were the most dramatic thing they'd ever come across.

Yeah, he came off like a gossip queen, just spouting off the juiciest rumors as if he hadn't even read the case file on them. He didn't seem to take it seriously!

Why do you think they are on their 3rd sheriff. I think it may be to keep the person in that role in a newbie status, to keep them from really getting to the bottom of things. I also thought it could be innocent, that maybe since it is a small town someone might take the job as sheriff until a "bigger" and "better" job becomes available somewhere else.

A few of us were talking about Beauchamp earlier, as you can see. He quit mid-term in April of 2011 to go back overseas to work for, uhh, whatever they call Blackwater these days. IIRC, the undersheriff left too because Brooks was appointed to the top spot instead of him. Brooks finished IB's term but lost the election and that's how Latimer County has Sheriff #3 since the Jamisons went missing.

Wow, that sheriff... I'll just say that I don't have anything nice to say about him. He believed they were daily meth users based on what? Admittedly, I haven't studied every piece of evidence in this case, but I thought I read here that no meth or paraphernalia was found in their home. Is there a link somewhere to that effect?

I have looked and looked and looked and all I can find is that Bobby may have had some drug history in the past. I can't find any reliable info that indicates Bobby or Sherilyn were involved in iliicit drug use or dealing went they went missing.

A few of us were talking about Beauchamp earlier, as you can see. He quit mid-term in April of 2011 to go back overseas to work for, uhh, whatever they call Blackwater these days. IIRC, the undersheriff left too because Brooks was appointed to the top spot instead of him. Brooks finished IB's term but lost the election and that's how Latimer County has Sheriff #3 since the Jamisons went missing.

Sorry I thought you mentioned they were on Sheriff #3 because you thought it had a connection with the case-not being funny here, truly just curious what your thoughts are as to why they are going through so many sheriffs in a short period of time??

Sorry I thought you mentioned they were on Sheriff #3 because you thought it had a connection with the case-not being funny here, truly just curious what your thoughts are as to why they are going through so many sheriffs in a short period of time??

What the hey? I'm working on the transcript of the Disappeared episode and am starting to feel sorry for IB. I didn't expect that to happen but he does seem kind of mortified by the whole thing.

I don't know why IB quit mid-term. I mean, we could speculate that it was because he couldn't solve the Jamison mystery, but maybe the money was just too good to pass up. And Brooks didn't last because he couldn't get enough people to vote for him. So, yeah, there's definitely been a period of instability in that role, not necessarily because of this case. But that instability certainly didn't help this case get solved.

What the hey? I'm working on the transcript of the Disappeared episode and am starting to feel sorry for IB. I didn't expect that to happen but he does seem kind of mortified by the whole thing.

I don't know why IB quit mid-term. I mean, we could speculate that it was because he couldn't solve the Jamison mystery, but maybe the money was just too good to pass up. And Brooks didn't last because he couldn't get enough people to vote for him. So, yeah, there's definitely been a period of instability in that role, not necessarily because of this case. But that instability certainly didn't help this case get solved.
Thanks so much for your great work here OG. Those of us in it from (almost, in my case) the start do know.

Would so love to hear more from mtrooper about any of this. She is really the expert.

(But wfgodot, you sir are the most amusing, at least to this English Lit major. "Let's go." "We can't." "Why not?" "We're waiting for... er... more info on the Jamisons."

ha
Thank you SgS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members