Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO, it is disgraceful that they have already suspended the search!

well then it seem a little strange her roommate wasn't slightly alarmed after Annie didn't respond to her "are you alive" text on Monday the day after her hike since Annie wasn't reported missing for two more days after that. Maybe Annie goes missing for days sometimes? I agree with the inconsistencies you mentioned and hope they are looked at by investigators as well.

The roommate thought that she was out camping with her mother. So why should the roommate have been alarmed? She did become alarmed, when the mother showed up at the door looking for her.

The roommate thought that she was out camping with her mother. So why should the roommate have been alarmed? She did become alarmed, when the mother showed up at the door looking for her.

Agreed. When Annie didn't answer her texts she probably assumed she had misunderstood the timing of the camping trip or that plans had changed, and that Annie was probably out of range.

Annie and roomie were close enough that now roomie has taken over annie's twitter and fb acts and pleading for help on both sites.

I don't believe she has taken over Annie's Twitter. She posted exactly two Tweets on the day after Annie was discovered missing. That could have been done at the request of Annie's mother. Annie's mother did the same thing on Annie's Facebook account. It seems to me, like a coordinated effort.

well then it seem a little strange her roommate wasn't slightly alarmed after Annie didn't respond to her "are you alive" text on Monday the day after her hike since Annie wasn't reported missing for two more days after that. Maybe Annie goes missing for days sometimes? I agree with the inconsistencies you mentioned and hope they are looked at by investigators as well.

I must have missed something, did Annie's roommate say in an interview somewhere that she wasn't alarmed? She could have tried to reach her other ways than texting if she was worried when she didn't get a reply. I also don't think it is clear how much time passed between Annie's last texts to her roommate and the question "Are you alive?" Did the news say that and I missed it?

(Sorry, I'm probably asking obvious questions but I read this thread really late at night and didn't get this and then tried to read the news article about the text again this morning and still not seeing clear info.)

Somewhat answering my own question from earlier:

Family told Fox 13 News earlier in the week that Annie is adventurous and often recreates in the outdoors. Michelle Schmidt said she realized her daughter was missing earlier this week when she arrived in Portland for a camping trip and her daughter wasn't at the airport to pick her up.

“I just got a rental car and went to her apartment, and when I showed up her roommate was really alarmed because she said, 'I thought you guys were gone. I thought you were already camping, she's been gone since Sunday,'” Michelle Schmidt said.
http://fox13now.com/2016/10/23/fami...ng-piano-guys-daughter-now-a-recovery-effort/

BBM. Seems the roommate WAS alarmed.

Thing that is strange to me is the last text from Annie to her roommate. I am not sure who is talking to who but it is weird to me to say "are you returning home to me?" To me that would indicate a slightly more intimate relationship between them. That would open up a whole other line of questioning regarding how Annie was feeling when she left and how the roommate felt about her.

Why has the type of car she was driving not been talked about. Someone may have saw her by her car at a certain time of day, or saw her taking with someone. Even the most experienced person can have trouble in the woods. If she posted a photo around 1:30 Sunday she must have had her phone in her hand. For a girl who's Facebook and other social accounts are full of pictures of her hikes and adventures, it seems kinda odd for her not to take her phone out hiking to get new Picts! I heard the battery in the phones goes dead fast. When they pinged the phone and found the location doesn't the phone have to be on?? I hope she was not abducted, but my opinion is she could have been.

fox13now.com/2016/10/23/family-believes-search-for-missing-piano-guys-daughter-now-a-recovery-effort/
OREGON -- Nearly a week after Annie Schmidt went missing while hiking in Oregon, her mother says she doesn't think her daughter is alive and authorities say the search will be suspended.

People have survived in the wilderness longer than a week. Just pointing this out.
Doesn't make sense.
Also think it's too early to rule out foul play. Imo.

That area is 13 k square miles. We don't know if there park ranger in this area or at all for the park. We also don't know how true any of this is as in actually being there to camp overnight.. If there's a location thing on your phone . Anyone can take the picture and say such and such..

My point is if she replied to her room mate there, then she could have replied back in the am. That if she didn't fall by mistake or was attacked by animals. or even harmed by someone along the way. Its said her phone was found in here car. I think that's police feedback more than a media driven one.

I really want to know how far this off trail is from the park entrance. Because this tell the story of her thought process. this tell if she has been there before because she would comfortable being so far out( a normal route for herm this also has to be verified by her parents.). Something tells me she was in the car not out walking. As in driving around.

Im really concerned for this area 13k square miles and its not broken into sections or check off points with Rangers is not a good look. There's already stories of men and women missing in this same area. If she is near a mountain area and her gear in her car then she was in the car or near it . . That's not to say she didn't have a second tent.

or went with someone or met someone new and was attacked while in the car ,which would explain a scenario of trackable things left behind. She could have been chased by wild dogs. and is out there lost in the woods. My thing is there needs to be some rangers in that river park . Police cant search 13k miles every time a person go missing. its sad but true, they dont have the resources. Also folks shouldn't be allowed just to be out there in the woods without being accounted for..( as in tracked out there).

Thing that is strange to me is the last text from Annie to her roommate. I am not sure who is talking to who but it is weird to me to say "are you returning home to me?" To me that would indicate a slightly more intimate relationship between them. That would open up a whole other line of questioning regarding how Annie was feeling when she left and how the roommate felt about her.

Um, no. I've been following this since the beginning, Annie reminds me so much of my 22 yo daughter who lives in Uganda - even in looks. The initial text is, IMO, not missing deleted texts, they are too close together. IMO Annie was being silly trying to correct herself. My daughter and her roomies always talk like that, "are you coming home to me?". It's a sweet, affectionate, silly way of conversing.

Why has the type of car she was driving not been talked about. Someone may have saw her by her car at a certain time of day, or saw her taking with someone. Even the most experienced person can have trouble in the woods. If she posted a photo around 1:30 Sunday she must have had her phone in her hand. For a girl who's Facebook and other social accounts are full of pictures of her hikes and adventures, it seems kinda odd for her not to take her phone out hiking to get new Picts! I heard the battery in the phones goes dead fast. When they pinged the phone and found the location doesn't the phone have to be on?? I hope she was not abducted, but my opinion is she could have been.

:welcome:

Sounds like a guy talking to her , from the convo tone... As a parent that convo is kind of scary,. I agree with that second half. He/she has a lot of explaining to do. .. This is why i wont allow my children to have room mate period. Because if something happen like this its just sad case of suspect #1. Which is not fair by any means.. But it just comes the territory.

I don't think it indicates an intimate relationship at all. I think they are probably close and it was just a "cutesy" way the roommate phrased the text to ask when she was coming back without sounding "prying." And the way Annie answered is a typical answer I would receive from my 21 year-old daughter (yes, no, wait, what?). I wish these young girls would not go hiking alone. Nobody should EVER go hiking alone or without a hiking plan left with someone reliable in case of emergency. Annie seemed really independent and she was very positive. I don't believe it was a suicide situation. I think she fell down a ravine or off a cliff. Don't they have helicopters with heat sensors they could deploy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with those who feel like LE should not be ruling out an abduction, at this point. Good point from you and others to infer that if she did take that "FILL your life with GOOD VIBES" photo that day, it could mean she went back to her car, since that is where the phone was found. How has LE ruled out the possibility that Annie is not the one who drove her car there, but that it was placed there to lead the searchers in a false direction? Is there a surveillance camera there that confirmed it was her driving there?

Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think they can look at phone records to see which tower Annie's phone connected to when last used, which gave them a geographical range to search. So even if the battery was exhausted, or the phone was turned off, they can still find the last location when used.

On the Anna Schmidt-Missing FB page, there is a photo of what I assume is her car with the trunk open, but I can't tell what kind of car it is other than a silver hatchback. I can't make out anything in the open trunk, except a large clear plastic tote. https://www.facebook.com/Anna-Schmidt-Missing-205956283173761/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

I find it highly unusual that LE has suspenced the search only a week after Annie going missing; LE has stated they do not suspect foul play, and there have been plenty of people who were found well over a week after going missing under similar circumstances (i.e., LE did not suspect foul play from the beginning):

"Hiker missing for 9 days found alive in California forest": http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...missing-days-found-alive-california/71407620/
"Mims said Harwood had no food, only a water bottle with a filter inside."(Similar to Annie's case in that I don't believe Annie had supplies with her, either); "More than 50 search and rescue personnel were safely airlifted from the area Sunday, the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said." (So there were at least 50 people still looking for Ms. Harwood after 9 days)

"Hiker’s journal shows she survived for close to a month after getting lost near Appalachian Trail": http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/...ept-journal-during-weeks-lost-in-maine-woods/
"Her husband reported her missing on July 24, 2013, after she failed to show up at a prearranged meeting point on state Route 27 in Wyman Township. That was two days after she was last seen by other hikers early on July 22, at the Poplar Ridge lean-to." (Similar to Annie's case in that Annie wasn't reported for a couple of days, either); "After seven days of intense searching, the effort was suspended on July 30, 2013, though periodic efforts would continue over the coming months." (Whereas in Annie's case, "Annie Schmidt was last seen on October 16. She was reported missing on October 19 ..." as per http://koin.com/2016/10/23/missing-gorge-hiker-likely-didnt-have-camping-gear/, so at best -assuming that the search began as soon as she was reported missing- the search lasted only five days)

"Woman found alive with husband's body after weeks lost in California desert": https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ds-body-after-weeks-lost-in-california-desert
"A husband and wife stranded for two weeks in southern California’s high desert ate oranges and a pie and drank rainwater ..." (Similar to Annie's case in that they weren't prepared to be gone for days); also, "The Southern California man found dead near his stranded vehicle weeks after he and his wife were reported missing, survived for one week before dying of a heart attack, according to an autopsy report released Wednesday" as per http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Missing-Couple-Cecil-Paul-Knutson-Autopsy--312938141.html (so Mr. Knutson, even at the age of 79 years old, survived the first week); I would also like to point out that I couldn't find information as to how long the initial search lasted in this case, and the nature of the search would have been different in the case because they were driving and there were multiple possible routes that they could have taken.

It could be that they are suspending the search because the family does not appear to be really pushing for it ("Michelle Schmidt, Annie's mother, told KOIN 6 they believe their daughter is dead. 'I don’t think she’s still alive,' Schmidt told KOIN 6. 'I don’t think she’s survived. Honestly, that brings me comfort knowing she is with her Heavenly Father, that she’s not hurting, that she’s not suffering. But we do want to find her body.' as per http://fox13now.com/2016/10/23/fami...ng-piano-guys-daughter-now-a-recovery-effort/). Everyone is different, but personally, yes, I would be doing everything in my power -within reason- to find him/her if this were one of my children, and -perhaps more importantly- I do believe there is a pretty good chance that Annie is still alive, if she has gotten lost or even injured. As far as we know, Annie is a young, healthy woman and a regular hiker. Again, LE has said they do not suspect foul play, and sometimes that means they suspect suicide. I suppose that could be another reason for their suspending the search so soon.

fox13now.com/2016/10/23/family-believes-search-for-missing-piano-guys-daughter-now-a-recovery-effort/
OREGON -- Nearly a week after Annie Schmidt went missing while hiking in Oregon, her mother says she doesn't think her daughter is alive and authorities say the search will be suspended.

People have survived in the wilderness longer than a week. Just pointing this out.
Doesn't make sense.
Also think it's too early to rule out foul play. Imo.

I agree and I also have considered that perhaps they had some evidence of foul play and that is why they discontinued searching so soon. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean
Back