Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another point about the weather in Portland last weekend. Although the rain and wind in Portland on Sunday 10/16 wasn't as bad as on Saturday, this was a significant storm that was discussed in MSM for days leading up to it. Although I don't live near the coast, I received concerned texts from friends in AZ, NC and East Timor, an island near Indonesia! Annie's parents must have known about this storm that was billed as having hurricane force winds and torrential rain. Wouldn't they have checked in with Annie? Why would her Dad not message her back about the danger of hiking in bad weather? Did he? Even though the storm had let up, there was danger from falling trees.

I just find it hard to believe that anyone really thinks Annie actually went hiking on Sunday.

"There was rain and wind again on Sunday but it wasn't as significant as the storm fronts that passed through Oregon since Thursday."

http://www.kgw.com/weather/first-on...ms-coming-to-portland-area-thursday/334880577

Based on the timeline, Annie tweeted the scenic view pic and posted a soundcloud song - the put her phone back in the car (or left it in the car) and then went on the hike? Around what time of the day would this have been?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I had meant to find all her social media and put exact times but I only went with what was in the news.

Here is her twitter: https://twitter.com/gurlboarder

For me it shows as being posted at 1:25 PM but I am in the Eastern time zone and I'm not sure if twitter changes times depending on where you view it or if it posts the time it was posted according to the time zone it is posted from. Does that makes sense? If someone from the West coast could take a look and see what time that soundcloud was posted it would help. Also, any thoughts on the song posted?

Does anyone have her other social media links handy?

Sorry I had meant to find all her social media and put exact times but I only went with what was in the news.

Here is her twitter: https://twitter.com/gurlboarder

For me it shows as being posted at 1:25 PM but I am in the Eastern time zone and I'm not sure if twitter changes times depending on where you view it or if it posts the time it was posted according to the time zone it is posted from. Does that makes sense? If someone from the West coast could take a look and see what time that soundcloud was posted it would help. Also, any thoughts on the song posted?

Does anyone have her other social media links handy?

It says 1:25 on the west coast too.

It says 1:25 on the west coast too.

Thanks. I just noticed that the soundcloud was posted the same time as the "Good Vibes" picture. Both say 1:25 PM. Not sure if that is significant or not but maybe we can pinpoint exactly what the weather was like at 1:25 PM?

I had thought this exact same thing about the phone. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not but I have seen some comments on other threads that LE can still ping a phone when it is turned off but not if the battery is removed or dead. I'm not sure if that is true and we are not told anywhere what kind of phone Annie had so I don't know how to look up if they could have pinged her phone if the it was off or the battery died.

I had the same question about why mom didn't call her roommate...

Police can also obtain data from the phone company showing the path of the phone before it was turned off, this is very commonly done to track all the movements of a missing person.

As far as some of the questions about mother/roommate not being anxious, I'd say most people don't follow websleuths, etc, and the idea of a loved one being missing, rather than just out of touch, is a concept that doesn't occur to them.

I'm afraid I can't rule out suicide. :(

I'm sad to say that I can't either, but I still feel like there are inconsistencies in the story that could point to something else happening (what I don't know). There is something about her social media and her pictures that seems sad to me but I am not her generation and I am far from understanding anything about what she is posting--her way of dressing, style of music, slang terms are all foreign to me so I can't really judge on what her personality was like. Her roommate expressed being upset with her words but her affect was very flat/almost indifferent, IMO. Not blaming her roommate for anything but something just doesn't seem right about this whole situation.

Thanks. I just noticed that the soundcloud was posted the same time as the "Good Vibes" picture. Both say 1:25 PM. Not sure if that is significant or not but maybe we can pinpoint exactly what the weather was like at 1:25 PM?

Here's the best I can come up with from Weather Underground. This report is not where Annie is supposed to have been. It doesn't look terrible, but could have been worse in the Gorge, and is not exactly what I would call hiking weather. Scroll down for hourly graphs.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Police can also obtain data from the phone company showing the path of the phone before it was turned off, this is very commonly done to track all the movements of a missing person.

As far as some of the questions about mother/roommate not being anxious, I'd say most people don't follow websleuths, etc, and the idea of a loved one being missing, rather than just out of touch, is a concept that doesn't occur to them.

Thanks for the info on the phone. So you are saying even though they pinged it on Thursday and found her car, the "last pings" could have been from Sunday?

I could understand understand if this was just an ordinary week. I really only talk to my parents on the phone once a week at most and if they call and I don't call back for a couple days they wouldn't worry either. But it is different if my mom is planning a trip to come to see me as Annie's mom was doing. I would call my mom the night before to make sure we had our plans finalized-talk about what the weather was like, mention this new place I want to go out to eat, etc.. Annie's mom had a very specific need to talk to Annie on Monday or Tuesday to confirm plans and make sure Annie knew what time to pick her up from the airport. She was EXPECTING her daughter to pick her up. And yet she was worried but not worried enough to try to call her roommate and make sure she was ok? Maybe her mom was trying not to be a worrier and overprotective of her adult daughter, IDK. It's just really strange that no one questioned where Annie was before Wed. She had moved to Portland for a job. Did she miss work Monday and Tuesday?

BBM

You could certainly be right about the "Websleuth Effect" and maybe the courtesy of letting your roommate know where you're spending a few of nights is an alien concept to many. But it still strikes me as strange not to express concern. Websleuths or not, I would. But that's just me. :)

I am a worry wort mom! When my youngest (23) and her man, along with friends, go to the 'Hill Country of Texas'' (New Braunfels/San Antonio area) they do not have cell reception once they get up in the hills and down in those canyons...my daughter, Bless her!, will text me, best she is able, their itinerary, people she is with, the road they drive, closest campground, and an eta of times sunday or monday (if a holiday) she expects to be in cell phone range...

If mine had taken off hiking for half/day after church, posted some pics, knows I'm coming in on a set day, for set reasons! and she didn't answer me by say Monday evening or Tuesday...I wouldn't just call someone(her man, her job, her sister, etc) I'd be driving/flying my worried self, to see for myself...but that's me

I've read rumors that Annie's cell phone has not been located, and that media reports are incorrect.

Good to know I have a fellow local here who seems to be on the same page as me. :happydance:

Guys, I cannot stress to you enough the weather we had that day , that weekend. Please, I beg of you to take this into serious VERY SERIOUS consideration when forming your opinion.
We had HURRICANE force winds, and rain.
I live on the western end of the gorge and the wind is very common from the east, But hurricane force winds are not. Nobody, No-one, goes out hiking in that. There may be a few weather die hards that will go to crown point to get weather gauge info on speeds. But think of it this way, would any of you have gone hiking, camping during hurricane matthew? In a tent?

Speaking of TENT, one interview the roommate says she knew of the camping trip with mom, but that the tent had not arrived yet. Next interview, roommate thought they were already camping? I find that troubling for a couple of reasons,
1-She knew of the camping trip, enough to know the "tent" hadn't arrived and that Annie had purchased it.
2-Roommate was also aware of the weather
3-Why was she "surprised" when Annie's mom showed up? She knew of the trip, knew the tent hadn't arrived...................

I'm so frustrated I'm just going to end this here.

OH, BTW, roomie is NOT Annie's friend on facebook.:gaah:

Agree with this.

But does the roommate have a FB acct?

Thanks for the info on the phone. So you are saying even though they pinged it on Thursday and found her car, the "last pings" could have been from Sunday?

I could understand understand if this was just an ordinary week. I really only talk to my parents on the phone once a week at most and if they call and I don't call back for a couple days they wouldn't worry either. But it is different if my mom is planning a trip to come to see me as Annie's mom was doing. I would call my mom the night before to make sure we had our plans finalized-talk about what the weather was like, mention this new place I want to go out to eat, etc.. Annie's mom had a very specific need to talk to Annie on Monday or Tuesday to confirm plans and make sure Annie knew what time to pick her up from the airport. She was EXPECTING her daughter to pick her up. And yet she was worried but not worried enough to try to call her roommate and make sure she was ok? Maybe her mom was trying not to be a worrier and overprotective of her adult daughter, IDK. It's just really strange that no one questioned where Annie was before Wed. She had moved to Portland for a job. Did she miss work Monday and Tuesday?

Yes this is exactly what I'm pondering. Add to that mom saying on day 6 of the search that she believes her daughter is deceased - it's unusual behaviour all around.

This cell phone info was recently just covered thoroughly in Christina Morris/Enrique Arochi trial and we learned that phones have a reserve space on the battery. Sometimes the phone will be dead from calling or texting or using but will still have the reserve that can be pinged. Now given that, I still do not think her phone would have lasted until Thursday for a ping and if it had why wouldn't a ping Wednesday had worked when she was reported missing? My thought is that LE obtained her cell data on Thursday giving the location coordinates to the last ping in the cell history which is how they found the car.

I had thought this exact same thing about the phone. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not but I have seen some comments on other threads that LE can still ping a phone when it is turned off but not if the battery is removed or dead. I'm not sure if that is true and we are not told anywhere what kind of phone Annie had so I don't know how to look up if they could have pinged her phone if the it was off or the battery died.

I had the same question about why mom didn't call her roommate...

I ran across this link on the FB page coordinating the searches for Annie. This hiker shows various options for hikes in that area with maps, detailed directions and photos (love the dogs!).

IF Annie went hiking in this area, it's easy to see that getting lost or injured would be a risk.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20630

Is this the picture? If so, it was not posted at sunset. It was posted just before her phone went dead.

1214tc7.jpg
I don't think this photo is on any trail. Zoom in very close and look at bottom right corner. There is a gray thing standing there. Now keep eye same area moving slowly to the left and I see what appears to be trash maybe. Then it appears like maybe a retaining wall. Is this photo taken maybe at a roadside lookout point or roadside park, etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I don't think this photo is on any trail. Zoom in very close and look at bottom right corner. There is a gray thing standing there. Now keep eye same area moving slowly to the left and I see what appears to be trash maybe. Then it appears like maybe a retaining wall. Is this photo taken maybe at a roadside lookout point or roadside park, etc?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I agree, and I think that's floodwater and not a creek or stream.

Very confusing case. Hard to make the sketchy details fit. Why was foul play immediately ruled out? Why was the search suspended so soon ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back