OR - Emilio Hoffman, 14, killed in Troutdale high school shooting, 10 June 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know how they'd actually have 2,000 kids checked daily for weapons when entering the school and going various places within the school.

A lot of schools still use textbooks. And even ones that don't, HS students take an average of 6 classes, each class requiring their OWN binders/notebooks, reading books, plus calculators, rulers, index cards...I could go on and on. Text books aren't the only reason back backs are carried.

Banning backbacks isn't the answer. These people are going to come to school armed anyways.
Agreed! Although my daughter's middle school issues a set of textbooks for home use to be turned in at the end of the school year, they still need huge backpacks because they discontinued lockers. For 6 periods/day they have instruments to carry for band, lunches, P.E. clothes, jackets, and then there's several spiralbound notebooks, library books, papers, pencils, markers, pens, ID, lunch money, inhalers, feminine period products, brushes, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know how they'd actually have 2,000 kids checked daily for weapons when entering the school and going various places within the school.

I can't even fathom schools that big????????!!!!!!

I live in NY (Long Island) and my HSs graduating class averages around 350 kids. They said this school is really 3000, as seniors were off this week.

My friend in FL has schools like this. I'm not saying these types of schools are the problem, but I've never understood schools this large? Where I live the principal knows every kid, as do most teachers. It sure as heck is going to be easier to recognize when a kid is potentially posing a problem.

Obviously this is a general observation and isn't necessarily relevant to this incident, your comment about the number of students (which is really 3000) made me think about this aspect of the issue. :)

Well then there are movie theatres, malls, restaurants, gyms, workplaces, courthouses.....It doesn't seem to ever stop.

How about the neighborhood streets where it happens every night? jmo

Metal detectors at the entrances to the school. Keep the gates locked- closed campus, patrolled by full-time security people, and you can use dogs to sniff lockers and backpacks for banned substances.

Mmmmm, No.
The student killed by the gunman was remembered by friends.
"He wrote me a note, telling me that I had a pretty smile," one girl said through tears. "I can't believe that I won't see him again, every day."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/male-teen-kills-student-oregon-school-police/story?id=24080146

Earlier there were reports that the victim was a girl, but regardless it still could be a relationship kind of thing.

Idk, but I do think this poor kid was singled out by the shooter.

I can't even fathom schools that big????????!!!!!!

I live in NY (Long Island) and my HSs graduating class averages around 350 kids. They said this school is really 3000, as seniors were off this week.

My friend in FL has schools like this. I'm not saying these types of schools are the problem, but I've never understood schools this large? Where I live the principal knows every kid, as do most teachers. It sure as heck is going to be easier to recognize when a kid is potentially posing a problem.

Obviously this is a general observation and isn't necessarily relevant to this incident, your comment about the number of students (which is really 3000) made me think about this aspect of the issue. :)
Not a surprise to me. In 1978, my high school was 3,000 kids. My graduating class was 1,000 alone! You couldn't know everyone. The last reunion I went to -lots of people were going, "Did I go to high school with you???"

How about the neighborhood streets where it happens every night? jmo

That is also an issue that needs to be addressed, but it is also a different issue, a different type of shooting and killing.

We are talking about rampage , mass, and school shootings which are becoming a weekly, if not daily occurrence at this point.

That is not to say that the daily shootings happening on the streets, such as Chicago, are not important. It's just a different type of violence and shooting all together.

Not a surprise to me. In 1978, my high school was 3,000 kids. My graduating class was 1,000 alone! You couldn't know everyone. The last reunion I went to -lots of people were going, "Did I go to high school with you???"

Can not relate!!!! We're about the same age (you're older :lol:) and my graduating class was less than 350.

I live in a different part of Long Island now, and my daughter will graduate next year. Right now the school (9-12) has about 1200 kids!

They still won't release the shooter's name or age.

Can not relate!!!! We're about the same age (you're older :lol:) and my graduating class was less than 350.

I live in a different part of Long Island now, and my daughter will graduate next year. Right now the school (9-12) has about 1200 kids!
Okay, I grew up in L.A. We did have a rival high school as well. My high school has now become a charter school. Not sure of the size of our local high school, we only have one in town. DD has one more year to go, but the middle school (1 of 2) is 850 kids.

That is also an issue that needs to be addressed, but it is also a different issue, a different type of shooting and killing.

We are talking about rampage , mass, and school shootings which are becoming a weekly, if not daily occurrence at this point.

That is not to say that the daily shootings happening on the streets, such as Chicago, are not important. It's just a different type of violence and shooting all together.

To me I see it as just a different location. Drive-bys are certainly mass, rampage shooting. And have to be traced back to some kind of emotional problem. jmo

So, do you think that all of the shooters of the 940 people in the last 6 months in Chicago have mental illnesses?

To me I see it as just a different location. Drive-bys are certainly mass, rampage shooting. And have to be traced back to some kind of emotional problem. jmo

I do not want to derail the thread with it which is why I am not getting into it. Its a huge and important, complex, and layered issue. And yes, problem, population, and arena are a part of it.

But it is still a different typology all together with its own set of social issues behind it. Issues that I am passionate about.

Drive bys are not the same as school, mass, and rampage shootings. They generally involve a specific person, group or target. They are more personal.

These are not. They are blind rage at humanity and they are largely committed by white males of privilege in affluent or middle class communities. (which is probably why many don't suspect them or become suspicious of them to begin with, their privilege) These shooters are certainly not dealing with the level of oppressions and barriers the youth of Chicago are bearing on a daily basis.

There are many differences that set these shooting apart from drive-by's.

The documentary "The Interrupters" by PBS centers around all of the epidemic street violence in Chicago. I had to watch it and write a case summary on it for a Macro Social Work class recently. It was an excellent film and example of a need for Macro Social Work to address so many long standing problems in America.

To invest in the neighborhoods and empower the residents. Chronic oppression, social barriers, and neglect contribute to Chicago and a lack of investment in the neighborhoods and most importantly the residents. Issues of socio economic status, institutional racism, and systemic neglect are at the heart of the problem in Chicago. So is mental illness, PTSD, trauma, and everything else we have tossed around in this thread.

I maintain, that these shootings differ from each other in almost every way. The horrific and unfortunate thing they have in common is the senseless death of children and innocents. They are equally important but they are different. And unfortunately, so is the level of media attention given to them. It's all so twisted.

So, do you think that all of the shooters of the 940 people in the last 6 months in Chicago have mental illnesses?

Please read my post in response to the OP. Again, it's all layered, just as school shootings are. There is no one variable to any problem.

We have to assume his head was blown off - that is why they are not releasing his name , must be hard ot ID for sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrebano
Back