OR - Emilio Hoffman, 14, killed in Troutdale high school shooting, 10 June 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
73 shootings since Sandy Hook is no way coming in waves. More like a Tsunami.

73 shootings since Sandy Hook is no way coming in waves. More like a Tsunami.

I was more thinking at least 3 or more killed, which is mass murder.

Agreed! Although my daughter's middle school issues a set of textbooks for home use to be turned in at the end of the school year, they still need huge backpacks because they discontinued lockers. For 6 periods/day they have instruments to carry for band, lunches, P.E. clothes, jackets, and then there's several spiralbound notebooks, library books, papers, pencils, markers, pens, ID, lunch money, inhalers, feminine period products, brushes, etc, etc, etc.
because they discontinued lockers

I did not know that thanx

I was more thinking at least 3 or more killed, which is mass murder.

Wait. More often than not with these shootings three or more have been killed. Sometimes it is 2 or 6, or 16, or 20 or, 40. It's a rare case that a shooter is somehow thwarted, or feel the police are closing in and commit suicide before less than three are killed.

The goal is still mass murder.

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with keeping track of "kills" to denote whether or not rampage shooting was mass murder or not, unless you are defining a variable in a research study.

The intent is still the same no matter how many lives the shooter was ABLE to take before the police close in.

The girls did not answer the door at the sorority house or surely Rodgers would have killed them all. Does that mean his intentions were any less?

Really?

Older than you and my class was also over 1,000.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

My high school graduating class was also somewhere around 11-1200. City high school, not regional. early 90s.

Despite the size classes were not huge and despite being an inner city school we had excellent course selections as well *advertiser censored* extracurriculars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because they discontinued lockers

I did not know that thanx
My daughter lucked out last year- it was a big deal to decorate her locker. They discontinued them starting this school year, even with the incoming 6th graders, and they didn't build them into the brand new buildings at the middle school or high school.
There are drug-sniffing dogs and locked gates and security women already at her school, but we got a major scare during the year when a kid who fell on his head got airlifted to a hospital by helicopter and at pickup all the parents knew is that there were multiple police cars, fire engines, ambulances, and a helicopter on the field. We saw it land and didn't know why.

To me I see it as just a different location. Drive-bys are certainly mass, rampage shooting. And have to be traced back to some kind of emotional problem. jmo

I agree. In both cases the perps are troubled young men. In the drive-by urban shootings, however, the victims tend to be troubled young men as well. Thus, those kind of shootings don't get much attention on HLN.

JMO

I can't help thinking - all these things: bullet proof blankets, bullet proof white boards, back pack bans.... They are all so much window dressing. Not to mention how ABSURD it is to even have to THINK about doing this stuff!

It is SO difficult to discuss these incidents without mentioning guns. But to ignore it feels like sticking heads in the sand and pretending not to see and hear. The gun control thread itself goes nowhere, because it is devoid of the human element these cases bring, and is argued at solely a pokitical and philosophical level.

But pie in the sky politics means nothing when confronted with the dead bodies of children.

It's AWFUL.

When I went to high school it was the height of the gang wars, and my high school was rife with violence. But as bad as it was, the criminal element NEVER endangered the population at large. Honor among thieves and all that, I wonder? Even drive bys, at least back then, were not random. No one felt unsafe just walking to the store or sitting at home... Or siting in CLASS!!! And as bad as it got, no metal detectors and no backpack bans...

I don't know, just rambling. Give me a gang banger any day over these suburban and rural kids with guns - even a gang banger knows it's weak sauce to kill innocent kids.

Cripes what a society we've become. Even duck and cover couldn't have been this damaging to kids' psyches as these lockdown drills must be. :(

My daughter lucked out last year- it was a big deal to decorate her locker. They discontinued them starting this school year, even with the incoming 6th graders, and they didn't build them into the brand new buildings at the middle school or high school.
There are drug-sniffing dogs and locked gates and security women already at her school, but we got a major scare during the year when a kid who fell on his head got airlifted to a hospital by helicopter and at pickup all the parents knew is that there were multiple police cars, fire engines, ambulances, and a helicopter on the field. We saw it land and didn't know why.

Is you daughters WHOLE school locked after the day starts? I just had no idea . -

PS I loved the fire drills - especially if it was during math. Any. Kind. Of.Math. !!!

I agree. In both cases the perps are troubled young men. In the drive-by urban shootings, however, the victims tend to be troubled young men as well. Thus, those kind of shootings don't get much attention on HLN.

JMO

Yes. The drive bys are totally different scenario. Even in gang heyday when I was in high school, drive bys weren't random. Yes, they often did catch innocents in crossfire - but the target was known and specific.

I can't wrap my head around these mass or random sprees. Where I came from, and where I came up, shooting at a crowd of innocent people unrelated to your beef with another banger was not even an option.

And just rambling in general - it is not lost on me that the media and public only takes huge interest in gun violence when it hits home in the suburbs. Where was everyone 20, 30 years ago when the cities (read: mostly minorities) were beginning to suffer real losses from gun violence? :(

I can't help thinking - all these things: bullet proof blankets, bullet proof white boards, back pack bans.... They are all so much window dressing. Not to mention how ABSURD it is to even have to THINK about doing this stuff!

It is SO difficult to discuss these incidents without mentioning guns. But to ignore it feels like sticking heads in the sand and pretending not to see and hear. The gun control thread itself goes nowhere, because it is devoid of the human element these cases bring, and is argued at solely a pokitical and philosophical level.

But pie in the sky politics means nothing when confronted with the dead bodies of children.

It's AWFUL.

When I went to high school it was the height of the gang wars, and my high school was rife with violence. But as bad as it was, the criminal element NEVER endangered the population at large. Honor among thieves and all that, I wonder? Even drive bys, at least back then, were not random. No one felt unsafe just walking to the store or sitting at home... Or siting in CLASS!!! And as bad as it got, no metal detectors and no backpack bans...

I don't know, just rambling. Give me a gang banger any day over these suburban and rural kids with guns - even a gang banger knows it's weak sauce to kill innocent kids.

Cripes what a society we've become. Even duck and cover couldn't have been this damaging to kids' psyches as these lockdown drills must be. :(

Nice post Garden .. but the truth is , of course something like the back packs no more is a bandaid. However we are hemmoraging here and a bandaid at this point is better than waiting for congress to take another vacation before they start to argue about any of it.

If they would cancel one order for one of the 24 billion fighter jets bingo ! Its all so coo coo IMO Just way off sadly, if one of their kids gets hurts in one then they will do something this has been going on for decades and they are awarding grants to tag ants - link posted in other thread

the stupidity IMO is numbing................

RSBM

Gardenlady, you took the thoughts right out of my head. I grew up in the suburbs. I have lived in a borough of NYC now for the past 15 years, since the summer of 2001. And I often think, it's funny how people think it's so dangerous to live in a place like NYC, and believe me I am not denying that it has its own problems (and that it is being insanely gentrified right now) But randomly shooting into a crowd or in a public place every week? In what would be considered even the most underserved, neglected, and crime ridden neighborhoods?

NO.

However, I feel the exact same way that you do. What is with these these suburban kids of privilege who are apparently going on insane blind rampages all over America on a weekly basis?

It's mindboggling.

No offense to anybody here. I have lived in both environments and I feel safer in the one that most people deem more "dangerous".

It's AWFUL.

I agree with all that. The gun issue just goes around in circles.

With that said...the blankets weren't just made for bullets. They are actually made for general blunt impact, and the internet kind of with nuts with it. I would love to see the blankets in schools here, because we are in tornado alley. Lots of falling debris and I think they'd be super valuable

It's AWFUL.

Garden - check out the video earlier of one of these drills - I was shocked and they are doing this in elementary schools. - that is just ugh...................

Def trauma inducing...........the world is not a safe place..that is what little people need most..... a predictable outcome........order ......understandable.........so they can grow up and develop

man I learned stuff today and I do not like what I have learned.....I dont know i just did not know they were practicing for the mentally ill with Ak+47's on a regular basis........ I feel so like dumb .............how could you not know I asked myself on more than one occassion when reading some the posts here today like the lockers....the backpacks...........the actual practicing for shooters.....like specfic for armed people.........................thats messed up folks

did you all know they were drilling for gunman on a regular basis ??..

very sad state of affairs here ..............

Oh god :(

Have they said if it was suicide or not?
no, I just cant come up wiht the delay -- lots of kids saw the shooter so it would seem someone would be able to say oh no that was Billy (not you Silly!)

OR i wonder if it is head off and an adult not known ....................

but noone descried either a kid or adult which is bizairre no? I saw a kid chasing the teacher...... I saw a man chasing the teacher....... I saw a woman chasing the teacher..............................its odd

Past student that hated his coach>> Just asking

no?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucysmom20