OR - Emilio Hoffman, 14, killed in Troutdale high school shooting, 10 June 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
no, I just cant come up wiht the delay -- lots of kids saw the shooter so it would seem someone would be able to say oh no that was Billy (not you Silly!)

OR i wonder if it is head off and an adult not known ....................

but noone descried either a kid or adult which is bizairre no? I saw a kid chasing the teacher...... I saw a man chasing the teacher....... I saw a woman chasing the teacher..............................its odd

no?

Early on, they said male teen gunman armed with a rifle. I think they have reiterated it again in a later report as well.

I think it is so strange that they have not released his name yet. I really do.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gunfire-reported-at-oregon-high-school/

Wait. More often than not with these shootings three or more have been killed. Sometimes it is 2 or 6, or 16, or 20 or, 40. It's a rare case that a shooter is somehow thwarted, or feel the police are closing in and commit suicide before less than three are killed.

The goal is still mass murder.

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with keeping track of "kills" to denote whether or not rampage shooting was mass murder or not, unless you are defining a variable in a research study.

The intent is still the same no matter how many lives the shooter was ABLE to take before the police close in.

The girls did not answer the door at the sorority house or surely Rodgers would have killed them all. Does that mean his intentions were any less?

Really?

I am not in any way trivializing it. I want to know how they define mass shootings. Someone who kills a lot is clearly a mass murderer.

As for Elliot Rodgers trying to attack the sorority house, he already killed three people by stabbing them many times.

Early on, they said male teen gunmen armed with a rifle. I think they have reiterated it again in a later report as well.

I think it is so strange that they have not released his name yet. I really do.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gunfire-reported-at-oregon-high-school/

I remember when Virginia Tech and Columbine happened, the killers name was not released until the next day. However, I saw some Columbine news footage and someone calling from inside the school identified one of the killer as Eric Harris, who is one the killer along with Dylan Klebold.

Watching those lockdown videos!! How horrific that children have to deal with that! I'm sorry but if my kids schools were like that I'd home school for sure. I was annoyed enough when here in Australia our government put huge ugly fences around the schools for safety.

I am not in any way trivializing it. I want to know how they define mass shootings. Someone who kills a lot is clearly a mass murderer.

As for Elliot Rodgers trying to attack the sorority house, he already killed three people by stabbing them many times.

:truce:

RSBM

Gardenlady, you took the thoughts right out of my head. I grew up in the suburbs of Connecticut. I have lived in a borough of NYC now for the past 15 years, since the summer of 2001. And I often think, it's funny how people think it's so dangerous to live in a place like NYC, and believe me I am not denying that it has its own problems (and that it is being insanely gentrified right now) But randomly shooting into a crowd or in a public place every week? In what would be considered even the most underserved, neglected, and crime ridden neighborhoods? NO.

However, I feel the exact same way that you do. What is with these these suburban kids of privilege who are apparently going on insane blind rampages all over America on a weekly basis.

It's mindboggling.

No offense to anybody here. I have lived in both environments and I feel safer in the one that most people deem more "dangerous".

You probably feel safe in NYC because you are safe.

http://nypost.com/2013/11/02/nyc-on-track-to-be-nations-safest-city/

NYC on track to be nation’s safest city

Welcome to Mayberry, NYC.

Murder in New York has dropped to levels not seen since the 1950s, and is falling so fast the Big Apple could finish the year with the lowest homicide rate of any big city in the nation.

It's definitely not comparable to living in Memphis and Detroit. JMO

Garden - check out the video earlier of one of these drills - I was shocked and they are doing this in elementary schools. - that is just ugh...................

Def trauma inducing...........the world is not a safe place..that is what little people need most..... a predictable outcome........order ......understandable.........so they can grow up and develop

man I learned stuff today and I do not like what I have learned.....I dont know i just did not know they were practicing for the mentally ill with Ak+47's on a regular basis........ I feel so like dumb .............how could you not know I asked myself on more than one occassion when reading some the posts here today like the lockers....the backpacks...........the actual practicing for shooters.....like specfic for armed people.........................thats messed up folks

did you all know they were drilling for gunman on a regular basis ??..

very sad state of affairs here ..............

I know my kids schools (middle & HS) are locked all day. That only came into effect after Sandy Hook, as did needing to show ID when visiting the school.

They do have drills, and TBH I hadn't given much thought to what exactly they've been about, it just never occurred to me! I'm gonna ask my kids tonight about it.

We've had a couple of lockdown scenarios over the past couple of years. Usually they've been about something happening outside of the school. For example we had a disgruntled worker shooting recently and they just automatically lock down the schools until the guy was caught.

I still remember in elementary school we used to have "bomb" drills. Under the desk, hands protecting your head. This was back in the late 60s. By the time I left 6th grade, they had phased out!

ABOUT THE VICTIM:

His victim was identified as freshman Emilio Hoffman, who was "loved by all," police Chief Scott Anderson said at a Tuesday news conference. He said Hoffman was found in the boys' locker room.

A girl who used to be Hoffman's girlfriend said he was "a good kid" and a "down-to-earth guy."

"He was very caring, he loved to joke around," said Savannah Venegas, 16.

Hoffman lived with his mother and had an older brother and two younger sisters, both in elementary school, Venegas said.

Hoffman didn't have enemies and "didn't stir up trouble," Venegas said.

"They wouldn't have just picked him," she said. "It had to be, just, random."

Authorities have tentatively identified the gunman but his name is being withheld until his family is notified, Anderson said.

^^^^ Reported about an hour ago. I guess they haven't finished notifying the shooter's family yet.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...ce_teen_gunman_kills_student_at_oregon_school

You probably feel safe in NYC because you are safe.

It's definitely not comparable to living in Memphis and Detroit. JMO

I just read today that murder is down, but gun violence is up as are thefts/burglaries.

It's all relative I guess. Garden's post just resonated with me, the specific points that she was making.

Watching those lockdown videos!! How horrific that children have to deal with that! I'm sorry but if my kids schools were like that I'd home school for sure. I was annoyed enough when here in Australia our government put huge ugly fences around the schools for safety.
I know it freaked me out. I just did not know it was like that concrete - here is what you do when a killer comes crashing in...............its horrific

and.... after these there is always talk about video games etc ... well big people are saying ok kids here is what you do when a killer (that in and of itself is pretty violent if you ask me ) comes right in our classroom..........f

...i mean...................

Evidently the teacher was quite a athlete himself earlier in his life... All day I have heard media saying stuff like "when events like this do happen" it makes me wonder what have all these folks been doing the last two weeks......thier tone of voices are like of surprise...............this is the 17th one

http://koin.com/video/livestream/

What is wrong with this world? Everday something else. I count myself lucky...something I would never have said...for never having children.

Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews · 6h
Justice Dept report reviewed by @NBC4ITeam % of high schoolers reporting carrying weapon on school grounds in past year

DC-5%
MD-5%
VA-5%

Found that interesting.

A student has been shot dead after a gunman reportedly armed with a semi-automatic weapon, dressed all in black wearing a bullet-proof vest and helmet opened fire in the gymnasium of Reynolds High School in Portland, Oregon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tive-shooter-reported-Oregon-high-school.html

Whoever took the photographs for the above article captured every emotion
likely felt by students, parents and LE.
I first shed a tear, then cried and finally was sobbing by the end of the article.
powerful

Ugggh.

Just hours before gunfire erupted at the Troutdale school, Hoffman apparently posted the message, "lets just end school with a bunch of stressful test... yay..," on the social media website Twitter.

Hoffman's cousin, Alex Soriano, 20, said she was home on Facebook and kept seeing "#RIPEmilioHoffman" on the social media site's news feed.
"I was confused and I just blurred it out. My mom heard me. She came over and saw it. And then she dropped to her knees."

Soriano, in tears, said the whole family is devastated by Hoffman's death. She said she was not told who the suspect was or other details on the shooting. "I'm still in shock," she said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/i...olds_high_shooting_victim_emilio_hoffman.html

Nice post Garden .. but the truth is , of course something like the back packs no more is a bandaid. However we are hemmoraging here and a bandaid at this point is better than waiting for congress to take another vacation before they start to argue about any of it.

If they would cancel one order for one of the 24 billion fighter jets bingo ! Its all so coo coo IMO Just way off sadly, if one of their kids gets hurts in one then they will do something this has been going on for decades and they are awarding grants to tag ants - link posted in other thread

the stupidity IMO is numbing................

Oh I am right there with you on canceling the newest fighter jet - just more stuff to kill people with. Put it in healthcare, mental health care, resources for kids, gun buy backs...anything would be money better spent. We have so much money here and yet instead of spending it on building our society up we spend it on tools to bring other societies down. :sigh:

Its actually good for them to talk and talk and talk about it

Talk about your thoughts, feeling and reactions to the events with people you trust. Then, talk about it some more. Keep talking about it until you have no need to talk about it anymore.

http://www.martinvcohen.com/trauma1.html

I would agree if this was a caring family member, friend, clergy, or therapist. These interviews are for news reports. The networks are exploiting these children for ratings. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jillybean84
Back