Found Deceased OR - Katharine 'Katy' Roe, 22, Depoe Bay, 17 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anybody know if there are on-going searches for Katy? I've just checked the news (via Google), and I didn't seen where any searches are being done.

It's Day 14, and I worry.

I do think a hit-and-run-hide-the-body is a real possibility. If so, somebody out there has a dent in the (prolly) front of his/her vehicle.

Does anybody know if there are on-going searches for Katy? I've just checked the news (via Google), and I didn't seen where any searches are being done.

It's Day 14, and I worry.

I do think a hit-and-run-hide-the-body is a real possibility. If so, somebody out there has a dent in the (prolly) front of his/her vehicle.

"nothing organised at the minute" quote source, bringkatyhome facebook page.

Wonder what the bay currents are there, taking into account time of day/tide.... would they push back to shore, or go out to the deep or far way?

The tide was on its way out at Katy's time of disappearance. I am also led to believe the current runs from south to north so heading towards lincoln city ways, from then on I am not sure. Saying that if the tide does run s to n then the article of clothing belonging to Katy could not have washed up in depoe bay. I reckon it was found on the rocks and Borndems post about it blowing towards the shore becomes a real possibility. That's hopeful. However A hit and run and hide Katy is also a strong possibility but I don't see it tbh. Katy was by all accounts sober and I would assume aware of her surroundings.

The tide was on its way out at Katy's time of disappearance. I am also led to believe the current runs from south to north so heading towards lincoln city ways, from then on I am not sure. Saying that if the tide does run s to n then the article of clothing belonging to Katy could not have washed up in depoe bay. I reckon it was found on the rocks and Borndems post about it blowing towards the shore becomes a real possibility. That's hopeful. However A hit and run and hide Katy is also a strong possibility but I don't see it tbh. Katy was by all accounts sober and I would assume aware of her surroundings.
BBM

Good points about the tide and current. I'm not sure whether Katy was focused on her surroundings, although I would hope so. But if Katy was walking home and looking at the moon, she probably would have been next to the southbound lane of 101 closest to the ocean, with her back to the cars in that lane. I see people do this all the time, and it's difficult to be alert if you're not facing oncoming traffic as you're supposed to do. JMO But I do think that hit and runs don't usually stop to hide a body. They're more inclined to keep their car hidden IMO, so I'm inclined more toward a water accident or an abduction at this point.

BBM

Good points about the tide and current. I'm not sure whether Katy was focused on her surroundings, although I would hope so. But if Katy was walking home and looking at the moon, she probably would have been next to the southbound lane of 101 closest to the ocean, with her back to the cars in that lane. I see people do this all the time, and it's difficult to be alert if you're not facing oncoming traffic as you're supposed to do. JMO But I do think that hit and runs don't usually stop to hide a body. They're more inclined to keep their car hidden IMO, so I'm inclined more toward a water accident or an abduction at this point.

yep your right. Defo would have been ocean side. I am looking at those last two options as well. Still nothing new from LE. Keep hoping though.

I don't think they will get far until they know for certain if she made it to the bridge. There are multiple possibilities if she did. But, if she didn't then a hit and run is totally out of question IMO because both sides of the street are well lit and with dedicated sidewalks. It's such a shame small businesses haven't learned from Jessica Heeringa and installed a basic interior and exterior security camera. I hope this can become a legal requirement some day.

I don't think they will get far until they know for certain if she made it to the bridge. There are multiple possibilities if she did. But, if she didn't then a hit and run is totally out of question IMO because both sides of the street are well lit and with dedicated sidewalks. It's such a shame small businesses haven't learned from Jessica Heeringa and installed a basic interior and exterior security camera. I hope this can become a legal requirement some day.

This only adds to the mystery but i remember reading on facebook someone saying " there just seems to be no footage of her". I am confident that if LE had found some of her they would have told us as well. This also supports the theory of her walking on the ocean side of 101. All the shops are on the other side. Does anyone think the whale center in depoe bay state park would have cctv ?. "I hope this can become a legal requirement some day." Thats a very good idea, it would help no end in cases like this and very many others.

BBM
JMO But I do think that hit and runs don't usually stop to hide a body. They're more inclined to keep their car hidden IMO, so I'm inclined more toward a water accident or an abduction at this point.

It may depend on how local our hypothetical hit-and-runner is. If he or she lives 30+ miles away they might not feel the need to hide their vehicle since there might be nothing at all to connect them with with Depoe Bay on the night in question, or to connect their vehicle with a human accident without forensic testing. How likely is it that an ordinary individual 30+ miles away would be suspicious if a local-to-there driver simply said they hit a deer a couple of nights ago?

This only adds to the mystery but i remember reading on facebook someone saying " there just seems to be no footage of her". I am confident that if LE had found some of her they would have told us as well. This also supports the theory of her walking on the ocean side of 101. All the shops are on the other side. Does anyone think the whale center in depoe bay state park would have cctv ?. "I hope this can become a legal requirement some day." Thats a very good idea, it would help no end in cases like this and very many others.
BBM

OT--Isn't it sad that CCTV everywhere is expected, lauded and promoted as a legal requirement in public places...when not too many years ago most of us would see it as an invasion of privacy and a violation of our civil rights..."Big Brother is Watching You." We got along fine without surveillance cameras. But the rise in crime rates and domestic terrorism has shown the benefit of surveillance in solving and even preventing crimes, and has, in turn, caused a willingness to give up a degree of personal freedom and privacy. I'm not arguing the necessity, but I'm sad that it's come to this. Just midnight musings while hoping cameras spotted Katy. Sleep well. :eek:fftobed:

It may depend on how local our hypothetical hit-and-runner is. If he or she lives 30+ miles away they might not feel the need to hide their vehicle since there might be nothing at all to connect them with with Depoe Bay on the night in question, or to connect their vehicle with a human accident without forensic testing. How likely is it that an ordinary individual 30+ miles away would be suspicious if a local-to-there driver simply said they hit a deer a couple of nights ago?

I agree. So if they wouldn't feel the need to hide their car that hit a pedestrian, they'd be even less likely to stop and hide a body and risk being seen doing it. I just don't think it's really likely that someone hit Katy and engaged in a coverup, especially if they didn't live nearby.

BBM

OT--Isn't it sad that CCTV everywhere is expected, lauded and promoted as a legal requirement in public places...when not too many years ago most of us would see it as an invasion of privacy and a violation of our civil rights..."Big Brother is Watching You." We got along fine without surveillance cameras. But the rise in crime rates and domestic terrorism has shown the benefit of surveillance in solving and even preventing crimes, and has, in turn, caused a willingness to give up a degree of personal freedom and privacy. I'm not arguing the necessity, but I'm sad that it's come to this. Just midnight musings while hoping cameras spotted Katy. Sleep well. :eek:fftobed:

its a sign of the times imo. However if the law stated that private businesses had to have cctv without a centralized ownership (ie government run) as is the case in the uk I think it would be much more in keeping with american culture. That way the cctv would only be accessed when needed. Have a good night, its just turned 8.30 am here in the uk :)

I agree. So if they wouldn't feel the need to hide their car that hit a pedestrian, they'd be even less likely to stop and hide a body and risk being seen doing it. I just don't think it's really likely that someone hit Katy and engaged in a coverup, especially if they didn't live nearby.

I agree. If she was in a vehicle, I don't think it would be because a car hit her. If she was in a vehicle transported away, she could have left willingly or unwillingly, but I don't think it has anything to do with a car pedestrian accident.

IMOO.

Agreed, but if the hit-and-runner was local, removing her body and disposing of it later and elsewhere might make sense and be worth the risk of stopping. Especially if the vehicle was a pickup instead of a family-type car and the body could be quickly thrown in the back, and especially at that time of the morning when there was probably very little other traffic about. On the other hand, having to explain damage to the front of a vehicle if a body is found which has clearly been struck by a vehicle may cause people to put 2 and 2 together.

As to whether a cover-up makes sense, it might if the driver was known to drink and drive or use drugs or had other prior convictions.

Sadly, I think it was a stop and grab, or a hit and grab..... the image of a woman walking back to traffic at that hour, alone! seems so vulnerable..... wonder how much time a perp would need to drive past, turn around, go back the other way, and then turn around again and see her possibly going off to S. Point... Thinking about the case of Mickey Shunick, a bump and grab while riding home on her bicycle at 2am.... much conjecture at first she was victim of a hit and run.... but sadly it was much more evil.

Katy's case is concerning.

1. Katy had a chance to go home after work, but Katy did not want to, so she didn't. ( She and grandmother went to the bar.)

2. Katy had a chance to go home when her grandmother left the bar, but Katy did not want to, so she didn't.

3. Katy did leave the bar eventually, but she did not want to go directly home, so she didn't. ( she stopped to look at the moon.)

4. And in the end, Katy never made it home.

It seems like Katy did not want to go home… just by looking at what did occur on #'s 1-3. Is #4 also a part of the equation for Katy's thought process?

I know it was said she had a rough day at work that day.

I wonder if anything else was on her mind, or bothering her?

IMOO.

Could she have been so depressed as to jump into the bay? Guess it's possible, but I don't know, much more likely IMO I think she was taken.

Katy's case is concerning.

1. Katy had a chance to go home after work, but Katy did not want to, so she didn't. ( She and grandmother went to the bar.)

2. Katy had a chance to go home when her grandmother left the bar, but Katy did not want to, so she didn't.

3. Katy did leave the bar eventually, but she did not want to go directly home, so she didn't. ( she stopped to look at the moon.)

4. And in the end, Katy never made it home.

It seems like Katy did not want to go home… just by looking at what did occur on #'s 1-3. Is #4 also a part of the equation for Katy's thought process?

I know it was said she had a rough day at work that day.

I wonder if anything else was on her mind, or bothering her?

IMOO.

What has crossed my mind due to the Nicole Mittendorf thread, is that the rough day at work may have been more than just a day and/or rougher than has been stated. I'm just speculating with no evidence, other than the same thought process you have laid out. It could just as easily have been a series of unrelated decisions that led to an unconnected abduction. I'm sure LE has interviewed everyone known to have been at the Wing Wa that night, as well as Katy's family and friends. That doesn't seem to have provided answers though. Where is Katy?

If the citizens of the community want more security cameras, why don't they fund raise it or ask the municipality to use tax dollars to put more in? Why should private persons be legally required to purchase and maintain items that should come from the Department of Public Safety? OT, I guess, but that just took me by surprise.

Excellent post, Lilebet. I have also thought many times about the tuff argument of personal freedom/privacy vs. crime prevention/detection. It's a shame we haven't figured out how to have both. The human condition. We are, however, very fortunate to live in a country where personal freedom, within boundaries, is treasured, allowed & protected.

And our little Katy. I know that her grandmother is beside herself wishing she had stayed with her that night. And that breaks my heart. It's prolly something they did from time to time. Go down to the bar and have wings and a beer and talk to folks whom they knew. And something has happened to Katy, and there not are that many possibilities when you really get down to it. And all of them are bad. If she ran off with someone she loved, surely she would have called to check in & say all is okay and how they will be back soon. Or if she fell and bumped her head and became amnesic and didn't know her name, surely someone would recognize her from TV and MSM.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x
Back