OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My only thought on the VERY passive media questions is that the PCs are being held on private property (a church) and LE has probably made it clear that they can (and will) prohibit those types of questions if necessary. Any other thoughts?
Hi mom_of_five. The reasoning they have given for using a church sounded strange, and I think you just hit the nail on the head. They can control the media this way; or they can attempt to. I wonder if this is even Constitutional?

They are most definitely not allowing thoughtful questions. I'm surprised they let the one in about the Horman's going to the gym; but, by their ridiculous answer, it sounds like they were attempting damage control.

WHY is this family being treated with kid gloves, being protected by the police, becoming family to the police? ~ the one's tasked to be there for the VICTIM: KYRON

Would all families with a child missing, being last seen with a guardian, be treated this way? No way!

My OPINIONS

They are not going to rule anyone in or out. They are not even saying this is a criminal investigation.

Each department deals with it the way they see fit.

This is the way this department thinks they should deal with it.

Keeping their mind and body healthy certainly could enter into the case. If he has been taken and the perp makes contact with any of the family members they will have to be very alert on what they should say to him/her.

I think these officers are filled with compassion for this entire grieving family. I am sure most of them have children of their own and would want someone to come out and support them too if God forbid it happened to one of their children.

IMO

I "get" all of that. Again, what does it have to do with the search for Kyron?

I think we've actually heard Tim Miller say this. IIRC, JHMO
If you ask me for a link, I'll cry though.

Tim has said that many times. Don't cry!

It simply means by searching an area and clearing it, they know the child is NOT in that area.

It's a progression thing. The more areas they know where the child is NOT, the closer they are to finding where IS.

JMO and all that. :)

IF..Kyron is still alive which i hope more than anything that he is..i would think hes looking more forward to getting away from where he is and back to his family more than anything else.

JMO

Originally Posted by pdx View Post
What was Kyron looking
Kyron IS looking forward to his annual trip (Shasta Lake), Seaside OR
new fishing pole.. camping & fishing trips

hi, you were responding to my posted transcript (bad one), and I missed a big chunk there.
The question email in was 'What was Kyron looking forward to this summer?"
I thought the *present tense* reply is notable (Kyron IS...)

I'm sure that right now, he'd prefer to be home, of course.
I missed several locations (incl probably one to his mom.. Shasta Lake was a separate trip) so please don't take that as verbatim.

OK, here is my current working theory:

PPS is actually very good about security, IMO. Most of the doors at the schools these days are locked so that you can enter only through the door closest to the main office. It can be very frustrating for parents to have to walk a long way out of the way to get to the front entrance, but it is for the safety of the kids, so we just do it.

However, there were times when I was in a hurry and just wanted to get inside the school and tried to go in the door nearest my kid's classroom, rather than walk to the other end of the school, then all the way back to the end of the school where the classroom is located. Sometimes you will see an adult or kid inside near the door, and if you knock, they will open the door for you.

I wonder if that happened with Kyron. Perhaps he was near a locked exterior door, and someone knocked on it to let them in, and, being a nice kid, opened it. Perhaps there was no one around to witness, and he was picked up or lured away to a waiting car. I wonder which exits at Skyline are normally locked and unlocked during school hours, including the exits nearest the parking lot?

This is true... establishing trust so they let their guard down. He is a captain, after all.

I have never seen one case where LE comes out to the public and supports the grieving family members when they believe they are suspects.

LE doesn't like egg on their face. They would never support this family or try to explain their pain if they wholeheartedly believed they were involved.

Just doesn't happen.

IMO

Why wouldn't someone let LE search their property?

1.I live in the country in another state. We have the "property rights" people here who I believe would not allow it under principle. Not all, but I bet a lot would have that reaction.

2. Govt and LE paranoids-like the people who will not fill out the census forms.

3. People who are concealing criminal activity. Drugs, burglary items, other things?

4. People who are just plain anti-social and don't care about anyone or anything but themselves.

5. They have Kyron.
People didn't let them search thier properties in Haleighs case either.I guess there were drugs and criminal activity everywhere there in Putnam County.

Usually when they ask for a pause in donations of food and drinks, it's because they've a) run out of storage space, or b) have so much food that it will go bad before the people could possibly eat it all, or c) both.

Yes!
Koin Linky
"The outpouring of support from the community has been so generous, the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office has asked the public to stop giving donations of food and supplies for the search and rescue workers attempting to find Kyron Horman.

Lt. Mary Lindstrand released a statement saying, “due to the sheer volume of supplies received at this point we ask the public to hold back further donations at this time.”"

thinking and thinking about this, I probably dont know as much as most of you WS's ers but I do have a 6 year old little boy. I am thinking there arent many things that would distract mine from going to back to class... an unfamiliar grown up would spook my son. I am thinking whoever got to Kyron would have at least said something like ..there are frogs in the woods outside, something that he would find irresistible, and would make him go willingly (my son would go outside if there were stormtroopers, ewoks or jedi's) Also, I can imagine if my son had forgotten something that he might try to run back to the car to meet me, maybe get confused about where I parked? I am trying to imagine what would make a little boy that is by all reports a little timid, venture out on his own. I can only think that if he wanted to get something from his SM's car, saw it leaving tried to cut thru a field to catch her??? I am just throwing ideas out there...

They are not going to rule anyone in or out. They are not even saying this is a criminal investigation.

Each department deals with it the way they see fit.

This is the way this department thinks they should deal with it.

Keeping their mind and body healthy certainly could enter into the case. If he has been taken and the perp makes contact with any of the family members they will have to be very alert on what they should say to him/her.

I think these officers are filled with compassion for this entire grieving family. I am sure most of them have children of their own and would want someone to come out and support them too if God forbid it happened to one of their children.

IMO

Police should always be professional and courteous when dealing with the public. But their job is to remain objective, maintain law and order, and investigate crimes. They are not social workers or victim advocates, nor should they try to be. There job is to INVESTIGATE, not sit around and pat people on the shoulder saying "there-there, honey" and protect them from legitimate questions from the press.

Tim has said that many times. Don't cry!

It simply means by searching an area and clearing it, they know the child is NOT in that area.

It's a progression thing. The more areas they know where the child is NOT, the closer they are to finding where IS.

JMO and all that. :)

Exactly. It is a process of elimination.

IMO

The diorama was not the part that was laminated....I think it is quite logical that the SM helped with the display board and the dad with the diorama. Why would that be so hard to understand, and why in the world does it matter to anyone who helped him with what part? Sorry, but if the point is to help find Kyron....nitpicking about such things isn't going to do it. They did it as a family to help Kyron, so good for them, and good for Kyron to know that both his dad and SM care and want him to do well in school.

jmoo of course

Your opinion of what's nitpicky and mine differ. I hope LE is nitpicky. In anycase, I am allowed to voice my opinion.

How exactly can the person doing a PC be "too close " to the family? what does that mean and what are the ramifications? I saw this posted a couple times and I don't understand.

He's called Kyron "our boy," --has taken on the plural possessive in many instances in the discussion of Kyron and the family.

^^ That. Not that I've observed a lot of these cases, but it certainly stands out as less-professional/more-personal.
Not that I can blame him for it, or say that I'd be different.
Possessive. That's what I see (it IS the speculating hour of the day where we editorialize everything, isn't it?) :D

Terri Horman said it plainly and clearly on her facebook when it was public. Is that to be excluded because she has now made her FB private?

Are we to totally disregard everything we know about her and her family through her FB? Because there's a lot of information that we have that came from the FB that has been repeated over and over.

If it's off limits, by all means, please let me know and I'll delete the previous post. I have a screen cap of it if you wish to see it.

Just want to add: When the family CLEARLY conflicts itself, are we not allowed to discuss this, if the conflicting information is derived from FB. Just want to be clear so I don't run afoul of rules.

I do see the conflict.

Police should always be professional and courteous when dealing with the public. But their job is to remain objective, maintain law and order, and investigate crimes. They are not social workers or victim advocates, nor should they try to be. There job is to INVESTIGATE, not sit around and pat people on the shoulder saying "there-there, honey" and protect them from legitimate questions from the press.

That is not true. They can assign an officer to be a liaison between the parents and LE and the media.

That Captain's job in this case is being a liaison. He is doing his job.

IMO

I have kept up with all of the posts since Kyron went missing, but haven't posted because frankly I have no information and few insights of much value to add to the discussion. With that disclaimer given, I have just a few comments.

As an elementary school teacher, I know it would be a teacher's worst nightmare to have a child under your care go missing. I have read no news accounts that would indicate that the classroom teacher was put on any type of administrative or disciplinary leave. She has had to continue getting up each morning to go to work, as hard as that must be. My point is, it doesn't seem the school district is upset with the teacher, so the accounts of her just blowing off the fact that Kyron was not with the group do not ring true to me.

While Kyron's science display was visually quite impressive, from what I could tell it was just informational and did not involve an experiment or the use of the scientific method (observation, hypothesis, experiment, analysis to support or reject hypothesis...). I know that in my school these items must be included for projects even at the primary level. I have no knowledge what the requirements were at Skyline, but if they were also supposed to use the scientific method and an older student pointed that out to Kyron, would that have made him mad or upset enough to run off or hide?

Another thought for what it is worth, I can remember once long ago, my friend and I wanted to go to the store with my older sister and she said we couldn't go with her. So we just got in the backseat of her car anyway before she got in the car and hid under blankets behind the driver's and passenger's seats. She didn't know we were there until our giggles gave us away. I doubt we were the first or last kids to hide in a car this way.

Keep up the prayers and good thoughts for this sweetie and his family.

He's called Kyron "our boy," --has taken on the plural possessive in many instances in the discussion of Kyron and the family.
Is that a problem? I think that is standard so I am confused as to the "too close"?? Sheriff Carona practically adopted Samantha Runnion and took her murder in the most personal way.

Oh, okay. He stressed the DAD. So the DAD helped with the diorama. He didn't say anything at all about the display.

Hi, sorry to beat on this.. I am the one who stressed the word 'dad' in the written 'script, not the sheriff.
Don't want rumors to spread, y'know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member