OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a photo of the boat ramp:

sauvieramp.jpg

I haven't found it on a readable map yet. lol But cross the SI bridge, proceed north on Sauvie Island Road approximately 2.4 miles to Northwest Burlington Court (Burlington Ferry). You are there. I think it is on the Columbia River.

Teacher here-

We have two talent shows- one at night for the families and then one during the day for the students. Maybe the family was going to an evening performance.

Kids call anyone in their classroom who isn't their regular teacher a substitute. The literacy teacher may be a sub, the reading para for a different grade may be a sub. Maybe someone else in the building was in the classroom and they called her a sub.

If you are not a teacher, you have no idea what goes on in a classroom on those days when there are guests in the building. Not only are you responsible for each and every student in your classroom, there are siblings running around your classroom, dumping manipulatives on the floor, cutting things with scissors, going through other student's desks, etc. There are parents trying to talk one-on-one to you about their child about stuff that should be talked about in a private meeting. All the while, you are trying to make sure no one's taking off without signing out IN YOUR CLASSROOM because the office can't handle all the extra people in and out. AND you are trying not to sound exasperated, impatient or mean when you tell that one child who never follows directions to PLEASE SIT DOWN AND DO YOUR WORK! It's not like any other job. If Kyron's teacher made a mistake or overlooked or misunderstood the comment about an appointment, she will feel horrible about it for the rest of her life.

If a child is in my classroom when I take attendance, I mark them present. If they leave the building, the secretaries mark them absent and note the time. This is all done on a district-wide computer program.

If a someone wants to take a student out of school, they go to the office and sign them out. Then the office calls my classroom and tells me to send them down. I never know who is taking them out of school unless I am told by the office.

I'm not sure, but I think as long as a school is a public building, anyone can come in. They are supposed to sign in, but I know they don't always do it.

Also, here's another interesting fact- if we have students who misbehave in class, we still have to offer the field trips to them. We ask if they have a parent or other adult who can come with them to make sure they behave. No volunteers have background checks or anything.

Another thing I wanted to touch on is when does it become the school's responsibility. Since Kyron was already in the school, of course he was in the care of the school, unless he left with a family member. But where I live, we have parents dropping kids off at the school building 45 minutes before school starts. The teachers aren't there yet and the kids aren't enrolled in the school daycare. Then some kids are there for an hour after school is out. Since school has dismissed for the day, should the school still be responsible for the students? Kind of off topic, but just want some of you who live behind rose colored glasses know what is going on in America's schools.

As a former teacher, I don't think you have really covered what goes on in schools.

I had no place to put my coat in my classroom, so I hung it with the kids always.

I had gone to the bank and got $50 in one dollar bills from the bank ( of my own money) so I could bring the kids to the grocery store and they could shop for the item that they had determined started with a certain letter of the alphabet.

Of course, I had parent volunteers with me for the children groups. One parent for 2 children. None of which have background checks.

One of the parents went through my coat pocket and stole my money. I think I know which one it was. Someone suggested putting a mouse trap in my pocket, but then what? I have to deal with the parent the rest of the year and have no proof they stole my money.

I have had parents with restraining orders skulking outside my window.

I have children who have been abused, mentally, physically and sexually.

I have children who do not know where their mother was the night before, and they were out searching for her with the father most of the night.

I have children of girls who were 14 when they gave birth.

I have children of mothers who are strippers and prostitutes.

I have children who are in and out of foster homes.

Should I go on?

the backpack and coat were there, but they were on hooks with 20 other backpacks and coats - it seems a lot to expect a teacher to be able to, at a glance, match all those up with each of her present/absent students, especially while trying to teach a class...

Yes, it is, and it's not just 20 other backpacks and coats, it's usually more than that because they forget one, or it's raining in the morning, so they wear a hoody to school then it's sunny in the afternoon, so they forget and leave the hoody. I swear kids these days must have 20 coats each or something...and I'm only strongly suspicious that coats and jackets mate on those little hooks, too, because they multiply I tell ya!

I don't know if we have Ravens here ~ thought they were all in England LOL

But we do have Hawks that are scavengers.

Yeah, I see hawk-looking birds all the time...they have that same sort of wing-fringe silhouette as the pic someone posted earlier of a turkey buzzard or whatever. I dunno what you call them, but I see them all the time --couple hours south of Portland here.

I also be big old black birds that I always thought were crows or ravens...I don't know the difference...they are just big black birds that yell a lot.

As a former teacher, I don't think you have really covered what goes on in schools.

I had no place to put my coat in my classroom, so I hung it with the kids always.

I had gone to the bank and got $50 in one dollar bills from the bank ( of my own money) so I could bring the kids to the grocery store and they could shop for the item that they had determined started with a certain letter of the alphabet.

Of course, I had parent volunteers with me for the children groups. One parent for 2 children. None of which have background checks.

One of the parents went through my coat pocket and stole my money. I think I know which one it was. Someone suggested putting a mouse trap in my pocket, but then what? I have to deal with the parent the rest of the year and have no proof they stole my money.

I have children who do not know where their mother was the night before, and they were out searching for her with the father most of the night.

Should I go on?

But at least they had you human...

:blowkiss:

God Bless all of our teachers both past and present

Can I just say thanks to EVERYONE for having this topic discussed from different perspectives in a most civil and respectful way. I think there is much merit in what everyone has to say and the ability to not only share with each other but to listen to each other is awesome. By doing so, we have been able to open up the discussion in a way that may have not been possible a few days ago.
Whatever the truth is, this has been a most lively discussion and I thank you .

Ditto and :highfive: and Back-atcha JBean & U 2 BeanE !! :woohoo:

I have just a few thoughts today -

FWIW: The teacher and "marking him absent". The rumor we've heard from the other child saying a "sub" noticed Kyron not there and then the teacher saying "oh, he must be in the bathroom" then the sub left. I have taught in different states and while the method of taking attendance may have differed - one thing didn't. The teacher of record turned in the attendance and at the end of the year we had to physically sign the attendance for each child for the year. With that, I think the "sub" was only taking attendance for the group tour, not the "official" attendance for the day. The regular teacher did that - probably sometime later. I agree with the other poster/teacher that if Kyron hadn't materialized since the "sub" noticed he was gone - I would have been on it like a shot. But yet the teacher wasn't - or maybe it just took a simple call to the office and she was told "not to worry". ITA that because this teacher has not been removed - what she did is probably verified and justified.

Also FWIW - by the time this is all over - I don't think there will be a lawsuit against the school or the district.

As far as SM and the actions and behaviors. We all would act differently if in her situation - that's a given. Me, I, would probably have to be sedated at first and then once I got my faculties back, well I would get on here and ask for help - plus I would make sure anyone and everyone knew EVERYTHING that took place that day - where I was, where my DH was, what both of us were doing. How many times has it been said that the parents should do and offer everything they can as soon as they can so LE can clear them and move on to find the child?

It would make me :furious: to know the public was blaming me and I would be screaming at every reporter that would listen about where I was, etc. etc. My life would be an open book and I would offer up anything that was asked. And yes, I do realize that there will always be some that won't believe the earth is round and the sky is blue - but it would help keep the focus on the child.

In this case, we've heard that SM ran errands after leaving the school. Again, if it was me - I would hand over my cell and say "hear - go through it - check everything - I was at the grocery and then the bank and then the dollar store - check their cameras - better yet I have the receipts...." Now we don't know that SM has done that - but those phone pings would be crucial to clearing me!!!!

LE is not going to say the family is clear unless they have verified that all 4 parents were here or there and its been proven. So if 1 is questionable LE sticks with the "no comment".
Hi, Tanner, Kyron's desk mate, said it was the teacher, Mrs Porter who left, not the sub. xox

Should I go on?

Was this meant for me? I am fully aware of what goes on in inner city schools. I didn't think I needed to share things that happen in my building that wouldn't pertain to this situation in Kyron's middle class school. I compare Kyron's school to the private, but not hoity-toity, school my own children attend, where it's like you are in your own little safe world. The world you and I see every day is hard for others to understand, since they are so far removed from anything like that. BTW, I have a stripper's child, also. I sure wish he could get to bed on time. And I am really leery of touching the dollar bills he brings every day to pay for lunch.

Yes, it is, and it's not just 20 other backpacks and coats, it's usually more than that because they forget one, or it's raining in the morning, so they wear a hoody to school then it's sunny in the afternoon, so they forget and leave the hoody. I swear kids these days must have 20 coats each or something...and I'm only strongly suspicious that coats and jackets mate on those little hooks, too, because they multiply I tell ya!

Yeah, I see hawk-looking birds all the time...they have that same sort of wing-fringe silhouette as the pic someone posted earlier of a turkey buzzard or whatever. I dunno what you call them, but I see them all the time --couple hours south of Portland here.

I also be big old black birds that I always thought were crows or ravens...I don't know the difference...they are just big black birds that yell a lot.
We have an overabundance of crows in Oregon - mean birds they are. Once I saw two crows that literally attacked a Bald Eagle perched on top a tree at the Coast. They wanted his spot !

(BBM)
The feel I've had from the start is they are very naive.

JMO, but they seem to believe they're in this secure bubble, a small close-knit 'country' school where it's all one big happy family and there is no need to even consider that bad people do bad things to little kids.

What a horrific wake-up call.

First let me say that I am in no way singling out Oregon's public school system but because this discussion is about Kyron Horman, a 7-year-old child who was last seen at the school he attended there, and because so many ademantly refuse to believe for one second that a teacher/school employee could be responsible OR that a school's district administrative board would engage in "covering up" a teacher's history of sexual abuse complaints/allegations previously made by students, I am posting the following.

Calliope, in response specifically to the part of your post bolded by me above; IF there is an atmosphere of naiveness, it is of their own choice because IMO there has been a number of wake up calls - wake up calls that include sexual offenses against children committed by teachers, school volunteers, and coaches thru out the state of Oregon - some very close to home...

THE NEWSPAPER OF EDUCATION RIGHTS
June 2008

The Oregonian recently reviewed hundreds of cases of teacher misconduct to study the way this dynamic is at work in Oregon. Reporters found 47 cases over ten years in which districts had made confidential settlements with teachers accused of abuse.

Middle school teacher Kenneth John Cushing, for example, allegedly touched at least eight female students inappropriately. Through public records requests, the Oregonian obtained a copy of the agreement Salem-Keizer Public Schools made with Cushing in 2004. The district promised to cite "personal reasons" if potential employers called to check Cushing's references, and to make "no reference to this agreement." In return, Cushing resigned quietly without dragging the district through a formal inquiry. Three years later, Cushing left a job teaching at a charter school in Tucson, Arizona, apparently also for "personal reasons." Administrators at that school said that Cushing's record there was clean.

Other private agreements unearthed by the Oregonian resembled Cushing's in persuading accused teachers to resign, except that some also provided cash settlements, health insurance benefits, or recommendation letters. According to the paper, this practice "is so widespread, school officials across the country call it 'passing the trash.'" (The Oregonian, 2-18-08: Link to referenced article; http://www.oregonlive.com/special/index.ssf/2008/02/schools_cut_secret_deals_with.html)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could easily fill a page if I were to list every sexual abuse case involving an Oregon teacher/employee therefore I'm posting this link - Although it is not all-inclusive, it does give a fairly good compilation of the history of cases for each state - In this case the link opens up directly to Oregon's cases.
http://badbadteacher.com/category/oregon/

Granted, the prolonged disappearance of a child from school is something that doesn't happen very frequently - typically when a child is offended, they're returned to class and their absense goes unnoticed... JMHO ~

We have qn overabundance of crows in Oregon - mean birds they are. Once I saw two crows that literally attacked a Bald Eagle perched on top a tree at the Coast. They wanted his spot !

Crows are intelligent and often misunderstood. They can be trained and can vocalize like a parrot. But, they would fight with an eagle for his spot or to protect their nest or fledglings, like any good parents would. :)
I have worked in wildlife rescue for over 20 years and crows can be very endearing.

But, they do scavenge road kill and and anything decomposing. So, yes if any signs of turkey vultures, larges mobs of crows- I think the search team would immediately check out the area.

Anyone know if the parent's have been asked to take a polygraph and if they were asked did they agree to and take one?

Should I go on?

That sounds scary when you put all that together!

But speaking of background checks...is it common or not for school volunteers these days?

The reason I ask is that here in Central FL when my son was in a private school at a local church no background checks were done and all parents were expected to volunteer at some time during the year. But when we changed him at 6th grade to a public school I was told anyone wanting to do on-site volunteer work had to undergo a background check before you could.

It hit me then that background checks would probably have been a wise thing to do even in his private school because there could be various good reasons that some people might not be the best people to be running around a school no matter even if they did have a child attending that school or how nice they might look.

Bad Bert sez, “There’s not room in this town for the two of us, Sheriff Sorrell Skye!” (Comic relief)

LOL Pensfan!

As my hero Kermie says:

"When green is all there is to be, it can make you wonder why - but why wonder? I'm green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be."

Luv ya Bad Bert! How's Ernie?

Anyone know if the parent's have been asked to take a polygraph and if they were asked did they agree to and take one?

This was another "we can't comment on that" response earlier this week.

Hi, Tanner, Kyron's desk mate, said it was the teacher, Mrs Porter who left, not the sub. xox

to me that makes Tanner's version of the mornings events a little less creditable.

That sounds scary when you put all that together!

But speaking of background checks...is it common or not for school volunteers these days?

The reason I ask is that here in Central FL when my son was in a private school at a local church no background checks were done and all parents were expected to volunteer at some time during the year. But when we changed him at 6th grade to a public school I was told anyone wanting to do on-site volunteer work had to undergo a background check before you could.

It hit me then that background checks would probably have been a wise thing to do even in his private school because there could be various good reasons that some people might not be the best people to be running around a school no matter even if they did have a child attending that school or how nice they might look.

Our school started doing them for chaperones in 2007, IIRC. I'm not sure if they require them for on-site volunteers? Our local school district is not in Portland, however.

BTW, one of my best friends is the secretary for our district's administrator. Contact me if you guys need any Oregon state regulations clarified and I'll ask her about them.

Where did the info come from that Kyron was marked absent by his teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member