OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Volunteers do not need background checks ???? That changes my thoughts ; I would add them to my list... High up on my list. Also SM left Kyron about 150 feet from his classroom ? If true, that is pretty far, farther than I would have thought... Whoever did this was probably watching Kyron, and saw their opportunity. There is an excellent chance that LE will solve this.
All JMO

I am still confused about the attendance taking. Maybe someone can set me straight on this. The school didn't officially open until 10am. Does this mean the science fair was not mandatory? Did the whole school do this science fair or only 2nd grade. If it's not mandatory and the buses were not to get there until 10am then why take attendance before 10am when school started, the attendance record would not be accurate anyway. IMO.

Kids tend to pipe up on their own.

As a teacher, to this I would say YES and NO. :crazy:

Sometimes they are very accustomed to students being out of the room, and they don't pipe up. For example, at our school the Speech Pathologist and Psychologist and Occupational Therapist and (probably more that I can't think of) are intinerent - they are only in our building once a week or so, and sometimes not even on a regular schedule. So, some students are pulled out of class (sometimes a therapist or other staff comes to the door to get the student, other times the teacher maybe gets a quick phnone call and says to the student - confidentially of course - "joey, you need to go to the speech room with Mrs. G now") and especially in the case of some students (IEP/Special Needs) this happens often enough that for them not to be in the main classroom when everyone else is, is not really something the students would mention.

Just my observations about kids and classrooms...

Just wanted to add that I keep a huge stack of Washington State Patrol volunteer background-check forms in my desk and let every parent/caregiver know that if they want to spend any time in my classroom or go on a field-trip they are required to fill out, sign and return the form to our office. I keep a current monthly list of everyone "cleared" to volunteer by WSP. I know this does not neccessarily "weed out" every predator, but it's at least something. I keep all information 100% confidential. This strict policy has been a mainstay for my school for 10+ years and only one parent has ever complained about it. Turns out, the parent would not have qualified to volunteer anyhow. Go figure. It is our duty and obligation to try and keep children as safe as possible in our schools. JMO.....

Ok, first, this post is moving so fast, I am sorry if I missed anything when I write this post...

Second, I am sorry, but I was missinformed...this case has NOT been classified by LE as "criminal". Please see this article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20007198-504083.html

Sorry, I must have misread among the bajillions of articles and posts out there! Bah!

Third, THANK YOU Jules71 for the posting of Tanner's statement. THIS HELPS--a little. We can now assume that he was probably last located around that parlicular science project. Great idea to find out the 5W's about that project or area.

Also, I want to go back and find that article someone posted about investigators not thinking this was an abduction by a stranger....hope I can find it.

If he WAS abducted, he HAD to have been lured out by someone he knew/trusted. Otherwise people would have noticed a struggle. Maybe the perp said "meet me outside" and that is why no one saw Kyron and the perp together???? OY VEY this is tricky for an un-trained person!

I am still confused about the attendance taking. Maybe someone can set me straight on this. The school didn't officially open until 10am. Does this mean the science fair was not mandatory? Did the whole school do this science fair or only 2nd grade. If it's not mandatory and the buses were not to get there until 10am then why take attendance before 10am when school started, the attendance record would not be accurate anyway. IMO.

It sounds to me like the kids got there at the regular time and then looked at all the science projects- 10am was when they got back to the regular schedule. I was a teacher and I know in the districts I taught in the kids would have been more supervised. Even with the strictest rules for visitors and background checks- I could point out numerous ways I could get into the school anyway. Now with all of the portable classrooms some places cannot be secured- but Skyline is the most laid back school I have heard about in years. I am in Northern VA and they are super strict here!

Great questions swannee - I'm wondering the same things.

Agree with post below. I was pretty much taken aback by the gym comment.

I respect your post, but I disagree with this. Just my opinion, but I can't see the purpose of "hitting the gym" being an intentional statement on SM's FB account, as in LE/FBI instructed her to state this? The statement, imo, is far too bazarre to fool anyone into thinking it is anything less than what it is, if that makes sense. Can't elaborate here. And, again, these are just my opinions.

Oh, ok, sorry, I'll stop now about the FB comment, but someone did mention it was mentioned in the press already. I will refrain from stating my opinions on it until it is ok to do so, if that happens.

Since we really have no clue what profilers and LE think may have happened (was it a kidnapping for ransom, blackmail, a personal vendetta against the family, for example) I think that there is the possibility that either stepmother or LE posted the gym comment to flush out or bait the perp.

Gates said nearly all of the students at the school have been interviewed, as well as the majority of the faculty and staff. He said that investigators "have no reason to believe this is anything but an isolated case," and that area families need not take extra precautions with their children.

I know this doesn't help find him, but I find this guy's statement ridiculous. You can bet I would definitely take extra precautions with my child if I lived here. They don't know what happened yet. jmo Rant over.

Quote from the newspaper article.
Shelby said that Porter saw Kyron in her classroom with his stepmom before 8:45 a.m. and another instructor reported seeing him in another classroom at some point.

Another intructor?saw him in another class at some point?What class was he seen in?

Holy Carp! Good eye, Ms Suzanne! I missed that another instructor seeing him in another classroom!!!! Could that have been the electricity project classroom??!!

Gates said nearly all of the students at the school have been interviewed, as well as the majority of the faculty and staff. He said that investigators "have no reason to believe this is anything but an isolated case," and that area families need not take extra precautions with their children.

I know this doesn't help find him, but I find this guy's statement ridiculous. You can bet I would definitely take extra precautions with my child if I lived here. They don't know what happened yet. jmo Rant over.

I agree.

Isolated case, gosh darn what is going on.

Just wanted to add that I keep a huge stack of Washington State Patrol volunteer background-check forms in my desk and let every parent/caregiver know that if they want to spend any time in my classroom or go on a field-trip they are required to fill out, sign and return the form to our office. I keep a current monthly list of everyone "cleared" to volunteer by WSP. I know this does not neccessarily "weed out" every predator, but it's at least something. I keep all information 100% confidential. This strict policy has been a mainstay for my school for 10+ years and only one parent has ever complained about it. Turns out, the parent would not have qualified to volunteer anyhow. Go figure. It is our duty and obligation to try and keep children as safe as possible in our schools. JMO.....

Thank you for protecting our children!!!

:blowkiss:

Volunteers do not need background checks ???? That changes my thoughts ; I would add them to my list... High up on my list. Also SM left Kyron about 150 feet from his classroom ? If true, that is pretty far, farther than I would have thought... Whoever did this was probably watching Kyron, and saw their opportunity. There is an excellent chance that LE will solve this.
All JMO

They are not required in *my* state (I am not in Washington). Here's what my state says on background checks (this is for daycare/preschool licensing):

(9) Criminal Background and Vulnerable Persons Registry Review Requirements.

(a)Individuals Requiring a Fingerprint Criminal Background Review and Abuse (Vulnerable Persons) Registry Check:

1 Any individual applying to work as a paid employee, director or manager of the child care agency in a position that will require or allow the individual to have contact with children at any time;

2 Any individual applying to work as a new substitute and who is expected to offer, or who provides, at least thirty (36) hours of substitute services to the agency in any calendar year;

3 Any individual applying for a license to operate a child care agency that is not the renewal of an existing license, or any individual who otherwise seeks to be an operator, as defined by the rules of the Department, of a child care agency as defined in § 71-3501, and who will, in the course of their role as licensee, have significant contact, as determined by the Department, with the children in care. For purposes of this paragraph, "operator" shall be an individual who is an owner or administrator of a child care agency or child care system;

4 Residents of a New Agency. Any individual who is a resident of the child care agency and who is fifteen (15) years of age or older upon the date the agency receives its initial temporary license or, if the agency has been issued an annual license, then upon the date the agency received its annual license; and

5 New Residents of an Existing Agency. Any individual who is fifteen (15) years of age or older upon moving into a licensed/approved child care agency.

(b) Pending outcome of the criminal background check as described in this paragraph and the outcome of the review of the individual's status on the Department of Health's Vulnerable Persons Registry, the applicant for employment or a substitute or volunteer position, or for a license to operate shall be conditional and shall be dependent upon the results of these background checks.

ETA: I suggested that parents would probably be willing to complete background checks and provide proof at their own expense (I would have no problem with that) for the privilege of volunteering, but it was a no-go.

Oh geez.....I just keep running scenarios through my head. I wish the school admin at Skyline was more like my school. Before any event like a science fair we gather at a quick all-staff meeting and get the "eyes and ears-open" lecture every single time. That extra level of hightened awareness makes such a difference. I have already rambled on before about our strict visitors policies and visitor stickers. I am total mother hen when it comes to my students and even when a school event is more "loosely" defined (like walking around classrooms) I try and be aware of who is where and with whom. I just hope there are some solid witness sightings for these crucial moments before he was gone. JMO....

Unless they do know something and know other students are not at risk. That this was isolated to just Kyron.

I think that is why the absentee rate was so high. Parent's being cautious.

Oh geez.....I just keep running scenarios through my head. I wish the school admin at Skyline was more like my school. Before any event like a science fair we gather at a quick all-staff meeting and get the "eyes and ears-open" lecture every single time. That extra level of hightened awareness makes such a difference. I have already rambled on before about our strict visitors policies and visitor stickers. I am total mother hen when it comes to my students and even when a school event is more "loosely" defined (like walking around classrooms) I try and be aware of who is where and with whom. I just hope there are some solid witness sightings for these crucial moments before he was gone. JMO....

Thank you. This is very reassuring to me. I'm about to send my oldest to kindergarten and feel very secure in the school we have, but its good to know that staff does discuss this.

Holy Carp! Good eye, Ms Suzanne! I missed that another instructor seeing him in another classroom!!!! Could that have been the electricity project classroom??!!
And I'm willing to bet that other teachers or staff saw him as well. This is a small rural school. With only 9 teachers - that's 1 class per grade level. As the children progress they become more "known" throughout the school and teachers - ones who have "had" the child in class and the teachers that are watching the kids "coming up" in grades.

I've worked in schools with over 800 enrollment and still got to know A LOT of students that just weren't in my room - brothers and sisters - both older and younger, cousins, neighbors, BFF's etc. We all did this. It helped with overall security. AND IT WAS PART OF OUR JOB!!! Too many teachers today just don't care, don't "get it", or don't want to be bothered. Its scary.

Wonder how many staff members did see him that morning?

I have my suspicions, but thought I would try to come up with completely UNRELATED scenario.
What if the prior calls to 911? or LE were in fact from the school or daycare. I can not remember the exact dates...
What if it was because there was a person lurking in the general vicinity. What if that person was spotted more than one time- lets say two or more.
What if when police arrived to investigate the suspect was gone.
What if this person had an interest in young boys or one in particular and had been watching said boy for a period of time.
What if there was in fact a transient camp discovered, or evidence of someone returning to a particular spot. Perhaps with a great view of the school or school yard. Not saying this person has to be a "homeless" person
That would explain why the search has stayed local, there is only so far you can go on foot. Maybe that is why they are confident it will be resolved by the end of the week?...............
OK ready for someone to poke holes :)
FWIW this is my second theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads