OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The nytimes link below that ElleElle provided is worth the time to read. Heavy-duty. Wow. Just a very sad Wow.

Tks for posting Elle.

QUOTE=ElleElle;12103227]"Alexis Jefferson, who worked with Ms. Harper at a Southern California subacute care center around 2010, said the gunman’s mother sometimes confided the difficulties she had in raising her son, including that she had placed Mr. Harper-Mercer in a psychiatric hospital when he did not take his medication.

“She said that my son is a real big problem of mine,” Ms. Jefferson said in a telephone interview. “She said, ‘He has some psychological problems. Sometimes he takes his medication, sometimes he doesn’t. And that’s where the big problem is, when he doesn’t take his medication.’ ”

Ms. Jefferson said Ms. Harper had described bringing her son to the Del Amo Behavioral Health System in Torrance, Calif., near where they had lived before moving to Oregon.

“He calls and says, ‘Take me out, take me out,’ ” Ms. Jefferson said, recalling her conversations with Ms. Harper. “She didn’t take him out until the doctor said he was ready to get out.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/mother-of-oregon-gunman-wrote-of-keeping-firearms.html?_r=0
[/QUOTE]

From the link:

In an online forum, answering a question about state gun laws several years ago, Ms. Harper took a jab at “lame states” that impose limits on keeping loaded firearms in the home, and noted that she had AR-15 and AK-47 semiautomatic rifles, along with a Glock handgun. She also indicated that her son, who lived with her, was well versed in guns, citing him as her source of information on gun laws, saying he “has much knowledge in this field.”

“I keep two full mags in my Glock case. And the ARs & AKs all have loaded mags,” Ms. Harper wrote. “No one will be ‘dropping’ by my house uninvited without acknowledgement.”

It's nice they shared an interest. What troubles me is that some can't seem to admit that this guy and probably his mother as well shouldn't have had access to guns.
I see a lot about law abiding citizens and bragging about being crime free and non violent in spite of gun ownership but not much on this actual situation. IMO

And the vast majority of gun owners seem to be law-abiding citizens who don't shoot people. How about extending them the same benefit of the doubt?

This thread is about a guy that killed and wounded several people. Can you see that having access to guns contributed to this tragedy?

Well, about one-third of American children are in that situation, and most of them seem to deal with it OK. Unless they happen to have mental issues, and their mother fills their small apartment up with guns.

you know what just hit me, it strikes me as somwhat interesting, at least in the contex f Lanza and Mercer it was the moms that were talking there sons to gun heaven.

I think we can all concur that for each of us music when young it imapcted us Our stuff was mountains not "hgh enough" with lots of sweet violins and horns!

this generation is inundated with screaming hateful and anger, about being disenfrahchisd

songs that yelling about bling and expesive cars, refering to the female entity as bit%, *advertiser censored*, wothing of giving them ssex, killing cops and juidges etc etc has to over time lead a different notions about living

The Way We Were (!) compared to
e
2. Fight The Power - Public Enemy
3. Nuthin But A "G" Thang - Dr. Dre

15. F-ck Tha Police - N.W.A
2pac - Wonder Why They Call You B***

About 60 miles south of UCC, Rogue Community College in Grants Pass and satellite campuses in Medford and White City were evacuated today due to a bomb threat. It turned out to be a hoax and used LE resources that could have been on duty elsewhere. Better safe than sorry, but Josephine County Sheriff's Department is rather poorly staffed due to budget cuts. The campus emergency notification system worked well.

https://kobi5.com/news/local-news/rcc-grants-pass-evacuating-students-following-bomb-threat-2277/

http://web.roguecc.edu/About-RCC

... and 'gamer' :)

and how can basement hanging possible help someone work through what there going through ---this generation has co problem solving skill set, everthing is a 140 character issue

I got food poisening today. Our generation would have "discussed it what ya ate , when ,how ya feeling now etc etc

the text(!)back would probably go like this "bummer
I am buying an apple now!

Its not "processing 15-17 year old transition to adulthood

did you say 1 sugar?
I am thinking about frech fries no - who cares

i am pulling in the parkcing lot now

inane-info

I agree that in itself is not a negative. But IMO it does speak to his lack of relationship with his father. He and his mother clearly did not have a healthy relationship.

I have pondered if mom has had a placement or two herself --genetics is in the picture

She had some problems getting vocational settleed

may sound judgemental but i have not heard of someone chosing where o reside (typicaaly might weather sschools, close to work) seem the more normative selectors.

The whole gun thing has a paranoid "feel"it IMo---like noone is gonna take me down - sounds more Godfather!

She obviouly communicated these concerns, so I would assume a child who hears these themes, of the world being dangerous, with a need to arm yourself when getting half a gallon of milk just seems, well paranoid.

Anyone ever heard of gun laws being a parameter in relocatd!

Bizaire thought processes IMO

My answer was a reply to this statement:

"No, it was the mother who was raising him. Unless it can be proven that the father is lying when he said that he didn't know that his son had guns, he has no responsibility for this."

To me, the above implies that the father was walking away from any responsibility for his troubled special needs son. How does one decide that the mother 'was raising him?' Don't both parents raise a kid, regardless where they are living?

Since when does moving out of state mean the father does not need to stay involved and bonded?

BBM ~ If they divorced in 2006, HM would of been 15 YO -right? So, maybe being a teenager affected this especially when this is the age where rebellion starts. Maybe he did not want to be with his father for reasons we don't know. Maybe the mother kept him away from his father.

wearing the same clothes daily is very autistic type behavior- not necc clothes, but change is very upsetting, often leading to pretty loud and intense outbursts, that are stressful

no no the tv needs to be on THIS channel
food is big (change) try to change a meal can be ahuge ordeal No I want Pizza, where is my Pizza, I dont want that (throw plate on floor)

folding clothes in a very rigid manny

dogs I had one who whenever he saw a dog he screamed, would flee and hide behind a ttree or pole and could not come out until dog was out of sight,

its actually an exhasting illiness for the care taker - and there is risk of intense outburst when something is not the same day after day which can result in things being thrown head banging hitting the floor and just screaming and screaming for hours

Okey dokey was a safe deal with one client the just respond to that when he is looking like he might be escalating

when younger if he was playing a game with a peer and the peer moved a blue ball he lost it, so peers start to distance- because it is scary to play so the isolation from others start early and the older he gets the more that type of response to the world bothers peers more sso they get more isolated

its tough stuff.........................

And the vast majority of gun owners seem to be law-abiding citizens who don't shoot people. How about extending them the same benefit of the doubt?

The issue is these mass murders/suicides are becoming more frequent. It's not about law-abiding gun owners. Perhaps kids should be taught how to use guns safely in schools, and arm then themselves. Sadly, this is what the world is becoming.

Switzer Learning Center improves the lives of those challenged by learning, social, and emotional difficulties by maximizing their educational competence and psychological well-being.

Switzer Learning Center's goal is to enable those who are experiencing difficulties with learning, social and emotional adjustments: gain greater insight into their difficulties, and be more tolerant of learning, behavioral and individual differences; recognize that they have strengths that they can use to compensate for weaknesses; learn ways to deal with the negative emotions and low-self esteem developed from years of unsuccessful struggling;

[h=3]School Overview[/h]
School TypeSpecial Education School
School Membership(s)Council for Exceptional Children
California Association of Private Special Education Schools (CAPSES)
Grades OfferedGrades 3-12
Learning Difference ProgramsYes
Learning Programs SupportedMild to Severe levels of learning, social, emotional, & behavioral challenges, including autism, ADHD, dyslexia, etc.
Year Founded1966
[h=3]Student Body[/h]
Total Students90 students
Student Body TypeCo-ed
% Students of Color 68%

State avg.: 45%
Students by Grade
Switzer-Learning-Center-Students-By-Grade-id4338.png
[h=3]Academics and Faculty[/h]
Total Classroom Teachers10 teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio9:1National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree 99%

Average Class Size12 students
Classroom Dress CodeCasual
http://www.privateschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/4338

"Alexis Jefferson, who worked with Ms. Harper at a Southern California subacute care center around 2010, said the gunman’s mother sometimes confided the difficulties she had in raising her son, including that she had placed Mr. Harper-Mercer in a psychiatric hospital when he did not take his medication.

“He calls and says, ‘Take me out, take me out,’ ” Ms. Jefferson said, recalling her conversations with Ms. Harper. “She didn’t take him out until the doctor said he was ready to get out.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/mother-of-oregon-gunman-wrote-of-keeping-firearms.html?_r=0

Okay....IMO this is very significant. If this guy wanted out of a psychiatric hospital I am sure he made that VERY clear to the staff. Neighbors say he would freak out over minor things. This should have been REPORTED!

The federal laws are an absolute joke....talk about hypocrisy....

While the feds have tried to pass numerous laws banning various weapons in the name of "public safety" they NEVER passed a law requiring states to report dangerous mentally ill individuals committed to psychiatric hospitals!

They force every state to USE the system to screen out dangerous individuals but they don't care about collecting data on dangerous mentally ill folks?

Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm or ammunition by any person who has been “adjudicated as a mental defective” or involuntarily “committed to any mental institution.”1 No federal law, however, requires states to report the identities of these individuals to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) database, which the FBI uses to perform background checks prior to firearm transfers.

http://smartgunlaws.org/mental-health-reporting-in-tennessee/

So as of March 2014 -- more than a YEAR after Sandy Hook many states weren't reporting and the feds just plain didn't care! Look at the numbers! MA and Alaska have ONE dangerous crazy person? And RI doesn't have any? And no one questioned that?

But the following states have still reported fewer than 100 mental health records to NICS:

*Alaska (1 record)
*Massachusetts (1)
Montana (3)
New Hampshire (2)
*Oklahoma (25)
*Rhode Island (0)
*South Dakota (3)
Vermont (24)
Wyoming (4)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...tabase-jumps-nearly-10-percent-283366801.html

IMO that clearly shows the agenda is NOT about public safety.

I have to wonder if all those lockdown drills might not be contributing to the problem. A kid like the Oregon killer, the Sandy Hook killer, etc. -- not only do they see the notoriety and fame that other mass murderers get, but they go through these drills several times a year throughout their school years. During every drill, they're sitting there in the closet imagining the power of the person walking through the halls -- and coveting that power. Imagining themselves being the person "out there" who wields all that power.

Could be, but we have had fire drills forever and not many kids start fires in a school, but sometimes they do.

In Sandy Hook, there had just veen a drill. Unfortunately, soem teachers had no keys for the classroom. Because of the drills, some children's lives were saved.

Think of the shooters in Malls, theaters, churches, colleges. No drills there.

We have to be prepared and know what to do in an emergency. Clear thinking helps just like the kids and adults that play dead.

you know what just hit me, it strikes me as somwhat interesting, at least in the contex f Lanza and Mercer it was the moms that were talking there sons to gun heaven.

I think we can all concur that for each of us music when young it imapcted us Our stuff was mountains not "hgh enough" with lots of sweet violins and horns!

this generation is inundated with screaming hateful and anger, about being disenfrahchisd

songs that yelling about bling and expesive cars, refering to the female entity as bit%, *advertiser censored*, wothing of giving them ssex, killing cops and juidges etc etc has to over time lead a different notions about living

The Way We Were (!) compared to
e
2. Fight The Power - Public Enemy
3. Nuthin But A "G" Thang - Dr. Dre

15. F-ck Tha Police - N.W.A
2pac - Wonder Why They Call You B***

These songs are very popular all over the world. I am sure they are not helping.

But once again, there are not the mass shootings.

Okay....IMO this is very significant. If this guy wanted out of a psychiatric hospital I am sure he made that VERY clear to the staff. Neighbors say he would freak out over minor things. This should have been REPORTED!

The federal laws are an absolute joke....talk about hypocrisy....

While the feds have tried to pass numerous laws banning various weapons in the name of "public safety" they NEVER passed a law requiring states to report dangerous mentally ill individuals committed to psychiatric hospitals!

They force every state to USE the system to screen out dangerous individuals but they don't care about collecting data on dangerous mentally ill folks?

So as of March 2014 -- more than a YEAR after Sandy Hook many states weren't reporting and the feds just plain didn't care! Look at the numbers! MA and Alaska have ONE dangerous crazy person? And RI doesn't have any? And no one questioned that?

IMO that clearly shows the agenda is NOT about public safety.

Call your Congess people and tell them. They make the laws

Call your Congess people and tell them. They make the laws

The point is right after Sandy Hook the feds wanted to pass lots of new laws that would limit the rights of SANE law abiding citizens, but they didn't care about enforcing the existing laws, especially those involving dangerous mentally ill people?

The Virginia Tech shooter (32 dead) was judged as "an imminent danger to others" in COURT! The VA Tech massacre was the LARGEST mass murder shooting in US history!

That strikes me as very messed up.

A court found that Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and potentially dangerous. Then it let him go.

In December 2005 -- more than a year before Monday's mass shootings -- a district court in Montgomery County, Va., ruled that Cho presented "an imminent danger to self or others."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3052278&page=1

Do the kids have to be in college to get insurance or does anyone?

I don't think so!
I just googled it at heathcare.gov and tried to copy and paste but my tablet will not let me.

They can stay on the parents insurance plan until they turn 26 years old
Children can join and remain on a parents plan even if they are........
Married
Not living with theit parents
Attending school
Not claimed as a dependent on their parents tax
Eligible to enroll in their employers plan
All this from healthcare.gov

"The Dad not being there" card does not work for me.

He was living with his mother, and just because he was 26, does not mean he does not have the cognitive abilities of a 26 YO.

The dad not being there doesn't work for me either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back