OR OR - Pem Michelle Yates-Briggs, 15, Portland, 1970s

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe it is because Pem is not officially listed as 'missing', so she's not in any official database that requires information

Strange! Yet, we all know about her? Do you have an understanding why? Were missing reports filed and lost/rmoved when she turned 18 or something? Thank you!

Strange! Yet, we all know about her? Do you have an understanding why? Were missing reports filed and lost/rmoved when she turned 18 or something? Thank you!
Most likely because the information provided to us comes from a post(s) from Pem's sister Dewana, who has been looking for her. Not form an actual missing persons report

I did some research on ancestry this morning and I have a generalized timeline:
  • March 31, 1963: Pem is born in Norfolk, Virginia
  • c.1967-1971: Pem’s mother remarries
  • c. 1971: Pem moves to Hood River, Oregon
  • July 13, 1972: Pem’s sister is born in Hood River, Oregon
  • c. 1973: Pem and her family move to White Salmon, Washington
  • October 21, 1974: Pem’s brother is born in White Salmon, Washington
  • c. 1975: Pem and her family move to Post, Oregon
  • c. 1975-1977: Pem attends Middle School in Post, Oregon
  • c. August 1977-?: Pem attends High School in Hood River, Oregon
  • 1977/1978: Pem disappears out of state
All of my information comes from Pem’s family or ancestry.com

So I recently sent an email to the Hood River Police Department (Hood River was Pem’s last known address) and I got a response!

The short answer is potentially yes, I first would have to figure out where they specifically lived when she ran away. As so i can determine if this should be handled by the Sheriff's Office or us.

I will do some research when I come back to work next week. Ultimately a family member will need to be contacted in relation to Pem.

Regards,

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

I gave them the contact information I had for her sister and the detective will try and contact her from there. These may be baby steps, but we’re getting closer to finding Pem.

I have a question, why isn't Pem in NamUs or The Charley Project?
Because Pem doesn't have a missing persons report. The criteria for a NamUs missing person publication states, "Prior to publication, all cases entered into NamUs are reviewed to ensure that a missing person report is on file with a local, state, federal, or tribal law enforcement agency, and that NamUs has the permission of that agency to publish the case information in the NamUs database." Same thing for The Charley Project, "Each case must be on file with a law enforcement agency, and there must be contact information (i.e. a phone number) available for that agency."

Because Pem doesn't have a missing persons report. The criteria for a NamUs missing person publication states, "Prior to publication, all cases entered into NamUs are reviewed to ensure that a missing person report is on file with a local, state, federal, or tribal law enforcement agency, and that NamUs has the permission of that agency to publish the case information in the NamUs database." Same thing for The Charley Project, "Each case must be on file with a law enforcement agency, and there must be contact information (i.e. a phone number) available for that agency."
Thanks for the explanation.

I wish she was posted in NAMUS.

Any possibility she is UI10217?

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 10.21.38 PM.png

I noticed in the photo of her in the swim suit, she has bracelets. While AK seems far for her to travel, it sounds like from the mothers post, she really had no address to go to. She could have tried to go to WA, but would really have no way to locate family. She easily could have made her way north as well with a companion.

On July 17, 1980, the remains of an unidentified female were discovered in a heavily wooded area, one mile south of South Eklutna Lake Road near mile post two in Eklutna, Alaska. Based on the condition of the remains, the decedent was likely deceased at least one year prior to discovery. The decedent was white with possible admixture of Native American. This unidentified female is a known victim of serial killer Robert Hansen, who murdered 17-21 women around Anchorage, Alaska between 1971-1983.

Hey, I noticed your tag line is a reminder about Rancho Cucamonga Jane Doe 1979; I came to this thread specifically to inquire if anyone had suggested This MP Pem Briggs as a possible for RCJD79. Have you seen if this has already been suggested?
Yes they have been compared over at the RCJD79 thread on here: CA - CA - Rancho Cucamonga, WhtFem 633UFCA, 15-30, in vineyard, Jun'79 - *GRAPHIC*

But the general consensus is that both girls don't really look like each other.

I wish she was posted in NAMUS.

Any possibility she is UI10217?

View attachment 450650

I noticed in the photo of her in the swim suit, she has bracelets. While AK seems far for her to travel, it sounds like from the mothers post, she really had no address to go to. She could have tried to go to WA, but would really have no way to locate family. She easily could have made her way north as well with a companion.

On July 17, 1980, the remains of an unidentified female were discovered in a heavily wooded area, one mile south of South Eklutna Lake Road near mile post two in Eklutna, Alaska. Based on the condition of the remains, the decedent was likely deceased at least one year prior to discovery. The decedent was white with possible admixture of Native American. This unidentified female is a known victim of serial killer Robert Hansen, who murdered 17-21 women around Anchorage, Alaska between 1971-1983.
How do I post her in Namus and if I can't get to Portland Oregon physically how do I report her as a missing persons?

So I recently sent an email to the Hood River Police Department (Hood River was Pem’s last known address) and I got a response!

The short answer is potentially yes, I first would have to figure out where they specifically lived when she ran away. As so i can determine if this should be handled by the Sheriff's Office or us.

I will do some research when I come back to work next week. Ultimately a family member will need to be contacted in relation to Pem.

Regards,

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

I gave them the contact information I had for her sister and the detective will try and contact her from there. These may be baby steps, but we’re getting closer to finding Pem.
@Dewana Don't know if it's any use, but a couple of years ago, a member posted this after they contacted the Hood River PD.

? Pem can't be entered into NamUs or the Charley Project without police filing a missing person report. This is why her case has basically...stalled.
To be fair, if it's confirmed that the PD took a MP report, a layperson can enter the case in NAMUS on their behalf and they may or may not confirm it. Seems kind of arbitrary, though. I'm trying to work on getting a young man from NYC's case in NAMUS and it's like throwing spaghetti at a wall.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back