OR OR - Sweet Home - 'Swamp Mountain Doe' - Am Ind/Native/WhtFem 18-40 - UP7765 - Jul'76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).

Current ruleouts on Namus:

MP7003 Madeline Babcock 06/30/1968 Los Angeles CA
MP7828 Niki Britten 07/16/1969 Linn OR
MP8054 Virginia Erickson 10/21/1973 Linn OR (a.k.a. Virginia Ackley)
MP19039 Georgann Hawkins 06/11/1974 King WA
MP9265 Vicki Hollar 08/20/1973 Lane OR
MP7780 Rita Jolly 06/29/1973 Clackamas OR
MP14710 Suzanne Justis 11/05/1973 Multnomah OR
MP12090 Karen Lee 05/26/1977 Washington OR
MP14946 Martha Morrison 09/01/1974 Multnomah OR
MP4554 Debra Pscholka 06/05/1971 Riverside CA

Denise looks like a great possible match especially since her DNA isn’t in Namus. Her face shape matches aswell. I personally feel like she ran away voluntarily so that would fit the assumption that the UID was a hitch hiker. Only thing is is her height is two inches off the estimated. I would submit her tho.

+/-2" is usually considered in range for estimates.

I am new to websleuths. And not so great with uploading pictures. I see quite a resemblance to Lynda Hanley from Rhode Island. I am not sure if the route existed in the 1970's, but it looks like there is a straight shot across the country on I80. For a trucker or someone attending Oregon State. The weekend before she disappeared was Halloween

Attachments

• Untitled page.pdf
    78.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I am new to websleuths. And not so great with uploading pictures. I see quite a resemblance to Lynda Hanley from Rhode Island. I am not sure if the route existed in the 1970's, but it looks like there is a straight shot across the country on I80. For a trucker or someone attending Oregon State. The weekend before she disappeared was Halloween

I agree she looks extremely similar to the UID, especially her unusual face shape. Do you know if Lynda is in Namus, Doe Network, or Charley Project?

I just read about this case and really think it's interesting, especially because of the clothing. "Swamp Mountain Doe" seems so dehumanizing IMO, maybe a name like "Sweet Home Sandy" would be more fitting.
IMO

Looking at the clothing and PMI, this screams late 60s-early 70s. I would think if her match is in NamUs, it’s between 1967-1973

I contacted Dr. Vance and she was kind enough to verify some facts of the case.
  1. She was most definitely White, despite being listed as Unknown on multiple sources
  2. She isn’t sure exactly how old she was (like a more narrow range): she even said they think 18-40, despite it’s broadness
  3. Her PMI is still debatable. I was told that is still up in the air.
One last thing, the best source for this case would be NamUs

She has a new sketch by Parabon uploaded to NAMUS.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

UP7765.png

It looks like a bunch of Oregon cases got new recons from Parabon in the recent months; fingers crossed they are also getting somewhere with genetic genealogy.
Originally posted in connection with the identification of Wanda Herr last autumn, but Oregon is indeed using forensic genealogy services to clear out the state's UIDs, and Wanda was perhaps "one of the first in a long line of identifications of Does in Oregon in the near future":
In January 2019, the Oregon State Medical Examiner's Office received National Institute of Justice (NIJ) grant funds to perform forensic genetic genealogy and DNA phenotyping on 100 unidentified human skeletal remains cases.
UPDATED: Decades-old skull identified as belonging to young woman who died in 1970s; detectives seek tips | Clackamas County

ETA: More links:
Online Genealogy Research Helps Solve Oregon Cold Cases | The Crime Report
Could science of genetic genealogy help solve Jonathan Foundling case?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Denise looks like a great possible match especially since her DNA isn’t in Namus. Her face shape matches aswell. I personally feel like she ran away voluntarily so that would fit the assumption that the UID was a hitch hiker. Only thing is is her height is two inches off the estimated. I would submit her tho.
Something just struck me while I was rereading Denise’s Charley Project page. It describes her as wearing “white clog sandals size 5 1/2”. SMJD was found with a white clog-style sandal. I just wish there was some way to know what size that shoe was. The more I look at photos of Denise and the new phenotype sketch, the more I see the resemblance…Did anyone ever submit her as a possible match? I don’t see her on the ruleouts list.

Something just struck me while I was rereading Denise’s Charley Project page. It describes her as wearing “white clog sandals size 5 1/2”. SMJD was found with a white clog-style sandal. I just wish there was some way to know what size that shoe was. The more I look at photos of Denise and the new phenotype sketch, the more I see the resemblance…Did anyone ever submit her as a possible match? I don’t see her on the ruleouts list.

I looked back on Namus for Denise's profile. She had been compared the only one UID in Oregon, but it was the one in Joesphine. It strikes me as odd they had never compared her since she has a 2 and 1/2 page of past comparisons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back