PA - Accused killer and rapist Michael Burham escapes from Warren County Prison using tied bed sheets, Captured, July 8, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

??? Shelter-In-Place Advisory ???

Sunday, 9 July State Police News Conference:

Pennsylvania Court Docket SheetS:

https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjDocketSheet?docketNumber=MJ-37201-CR-0000101-2023&dnh=KfoshY7fpzsYw26VTUcWsA==
&
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjDocketSheet?docketNumber=MJ-37201-CR-0000080-2023&dnh=IEuYG1kZe1IWRynTvl6Zgw==
&
Via: https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch

PA Title 18 -- Crimes & Offenses:
Chapter 51 -- Obstructing Governmental Operations
18 § 5105 -- Hindering Apprehension or Prosecution
(A) OFFENSE DEFINED -- A person commits an offense if,
> > with intent to hinder the apprehension,
> > prosecution, conviction or punishment of another for crime
> > or violation of the terms of
> > Probation, Parole, Intermediate Punishment Program, or
> > Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition, he:
>> (1) Harbors or conceals the other;
>> (2) Provides or aids in providing a weapon, transportation,
> > > > disguise or other means of
> > > > avoiding apprehension or effecting escape;
>> (3) Conceals or destroys evidence of the crime,
> > > > or tampers with a witness, informant, document
> > > > or other source of information, regardless of its
> > > > admissibility in evidence;
>> (4) Warns the other of impending discovery or apprehension,
> > > > except that this paragraph
> > > > does not apply to a warning given in connection with an
> > > > effort to
> > > > Bring another Into Compliance with law; or
>> (5) Provides false information to Law Enforcement.
(B) GRADING -- The offense is a Felony of the Third Degree (F3),
> > if the conduct which the
> > actor knows has been charged, or is liable to be charged,
> > against the person aided would
> > constitute a Felony of the First Degree (F1), or Second Degree (F2).
> > Otherwise it is a Misdemeanor of the Second Degree (M2).

Google™ Supplements & Updates:
Michael Burham - Escape - PA - Google Search

Last edited:
So my understanding so far (most of which is from the Probable Cause document) is that:
- MB had an active arrest warrant out for the rape of Kala Hodgkin (his ex-girlfriend) at the time he killed her. (I don't know the date of the alleged rape.)
- shortly before her murder, Kala contacted LE to say that MB tried to break into her home and had set her car on fire.
- in the early hours of May 11 MB allegedly shot Kala to death in Youngstown NY.

- May 11 MB returned a vehicle that he rented in Warren PA and checked out of his hotel.
- May 20 a woman reported her parents missing from their home in Sheffield PA (they lived on the main road between Warren and Sheffield). PA State Police issued a Missing/Endangered Persons alert.
- May 21 South Carolina Hwy Patrol contacted PA State Patrol indicating that they located the missing couple in a cemetery in North Charlestown SC.
- May 22 MB arrested
- July 6 MB escaped from jail in Warren PA.
Some of your details are incorrect. Kala was killed in Jamestown NY.
from the Post Journal at the time:
A 34-year-old Jamestown woman was identified Friday by police as the victim of this week’s homicide on the city’s south side.

Kala M. Hodgkin was found inside the home at 125 William St., just off Baker. Officers had been called to the property around 4:30 a.m. Thursday for a report of an unresponsive woman.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and everyone involved,” the Jamestown Police Department said in a brief statement.

Investigators are still looking for 34-year-old Michael C. Burham, considered to be potentially “armed and dangerous” following a string of emergencies early Thursday that also included two fires breaking out. Police later confirmed Friday that Burham is a suspect in the homicide case.

Burham’s Ram truck was located Thursday evening in the city of Warren after police received a credible tip.

“We are asking that if you see Michael C. Burham, call 911 or the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency having jurisdiction immediately and do not approach him,” JPD said Friday.

Several agencies, including the FBI, are involved in the ongoing investigation.

“Any time there is a homicide, and that’s what we’re dealing with here, we’re called to the scenes so that we can assist with law enforcement in order to develop and preserve evidence. We’ve done that,” Chautauqua County District Attorney Jason Schmidt said during a press conference Thursday at City Hall. “There’s been a number of avenues that we’ve pursued on our side. We’ve also reached out to our law enforcement partners outside the state and we’ve gotten some contribution from a number of different agencies here in Chautauqua County, outside the county.”

In addition to Thursday’s homicide, police and firefighters also handled a large fire at Danielson Oil Co. on Crescent Street and a vehicle fire on Fulton Street. All three emergencies occurred within a half-hour span.

The fire at Danielson Oil Co. was later ruled accidental; however, the vehicle fire on Fulton was ruled incendiary in nature, meaning a device was reportedly used to start the blaze. Police would not comment on whether the vehicle fire may be tied to the murder investigation.

Jamestown Public Schools remained in a precautionary lockout at all of its buildings Friday “out of an abundance of caution.”

In a statement, the district said, “JPS and its school resource officers have remained in communication with JPD regarding their ongoing search for a person of interest. JPD continues to believe that there is no immediate threat to schools.”

There were no interruptions at schools in Warren County.

Anyone with any information regarding Burham is still asked to contact the Jamestown Police Department immediately at 716-483-7537 or the anonymous tip line at 716-483-8477. All calls and tips will be kept confidential.

Some of your details are incorrect. Kala was killed in Jamestown NY.
from the Post Journal at the time:
A 34-year-old Jamestown woman was identified Friday by police as the victim of this week’s homicide on the city’s south side.

Kala M. Hodgkin was found inside the home at 125 William St., just off Baker. Officers had been called to the property around 4:30 a.m. Thursday for a report of an unresponsive woman.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and everyone involved,” the Jamestown Police Department said in a brief statement.

Investigators are still looking for 34-year-old Michael C. Burham, considered to be potentially “armed and dangerous” following a string of emergencies early Thursday that also included two fires breaking out. Police later confirmed Friday that Burham is a suspect in the homicide case.

Burham’s Ram truck was located Thursday evening in the city of Warren after police received a credible tip.

“We are asking that if you see Michael C. Burham, call 911 or the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency having jurisdiction immediately and do not approach him,” JPD said Friday.

Several agencies, including the FBI, are involved in the ongoing investigation.

“Any time there is a homicide, and that’s what we’re dealing with here, we’re called to the scenes so that we can assist with law enforcement in order to develop and preserve evidence. We’ve done that,” Chautauqua County District Attorney Jason Schmidt said during a press conference Thursday at City Hall. “There’s been a number of avenues that we’ve pursued on our side. We’ve also reached out to our law enforcement partners outside the state and we’ve gotten some contribution from a number of different agencies here in Chautauqua County, outside the county.”

In addition to Thursday’s homicide, police and firefighters also handled a large fire at Danielson Oil Co. on Crescent Street and a vehicle fire on Fulton Street. All three emergencies occurred within a half-hour span.

The fire at Danielson Oil Co. was later ruled accidental; however, the vehicle fire on Fulton was ruled incendiary in nature, meaning a device was reportedly used to start the blaze. Police would not comment on whether the vehicle fire may be tied to the murder investigation.

Jamestown Public Schools remained in a precautionary lockout at all of its buildings Friday “out of an abundance of caution.”

In a statement, the district said, “JPS and its school resource officers have remained in communication with JPD regarding their ongoing search for a person of interest. JPD continues to believe that there is no immediate threat to schools.”

There were no interruptions at schools in Warren County.

Anyone with any information regarding Burham is still asked to contact the Jamestown Police Department immediately at 716-483-7537 or the anonymous tip line at 716-483-8477. All calls and tips will be kept confidential.

oops! Yes, I meant Jamestown, not Youngstown. My apologies. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. (I grew up in southern Ontario and always heard Youngstown NY mentioned on the Buffalo news, so my mind confused the two locations.)

And as far as his vehicle was concerned, I believe there were two vehicles...his rental vehicle and his own vehicle. My comments related to his rental vehicle.

oops! Yes, I meant Jamestown, not Youngstown. My apologies. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. (I grew up in southern Ontario and always heard Youngstown NY mentioned on the Buffalo news, so my mind confused the two locations.)

And as far as his vehicle was concerned, I believe there were two vehicles...his rental vehicle and his own vehicle. My comments related to his rental vehicle.
All good. I live outside of Jamestown and this was huge news at the time. So many details were withheld or misleading at the time. Once officially charged by Jamestown, some of the local details will help clear up loose ends.

All good. I live outside of Jamestown and this was huge news at the time. So many details were withheld or misleading at the time. Once officially charged by Jamestown, some of the local details will help clear up loose ends.
I can only imagine what it must be like to have a crime like this in a place like Jamestown!
I presume he is long gone from the immediate area, and more likely in the Warren area, but it would still be very unsettling. This guy has proven he is willing to kidnap people. (and, of course, murder people)

Take care.

I get the impression that if he is armed, he will never surrender.

Even if he is outnumbered I don't see him wanting to go back to jail.

Seems to be extremely dangerous, IMO could rather die than go back to jail. Just looks like a scary dude.

As reported in numerous articles, he's likely changed clothes by now, but here's what he was wearing when he escaped.

burham-1.jpg

Michael Charles Burham was discovered missing from the Warren County Jail in northwestern Pennsylvania on Friday morning. He was last seen wearing an orange and white striped inmate jumpsuit, a denim jacket and Crocs.WARREN CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT

??? Shelter-In-Place Advisory ???

Sunday, 9 July State Police News Conference:

Pennsylvania Court Docket SheetS:

https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjDocketSheet?docketNumber=MJ-37201-CR-0000101-2023&dnh=KfoshY7fpzsYw26VTUcWsA==
&
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjDocketSheet?docketNumber=MJ-37201-CR-0000080-2023&dnh=IEuYG1kZe1IWRynTvl6Zgw==
&
Via: https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch

PA Title 18 -- Crimes & Offenses:
Chapter 51 -- Obstructing Governmental Operations
18 § 5105 -- Hindering Apprehension or Prosecution
(A) OFFENSE DEFINED -- A person commits an offense if,
> > with intent to hinder the apprehension,
> > prosecution, conviction or punishment of another for crime
> > or violation of the terms of
> > Probation, Parole, Intermediate Punishment Program, or
> > Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition, he:
>> (1) Harbors or conceals the other;
>> (2) Provides or aids in providing a weapon, transportation,
> > > > disguise or other means of
> > > > avoiding apprehension or effecting escape;
>> (3) Conceals or destroys evidence of the crime,
> > > > or tampers with a witness, informant, document
> > > > or other source of information, regardless of its
> > > > admissibility in evidence;
>> (4) Warns the other of impending discovery or apprehension,
> > > > except that this paragraph
> > > > does not apply to a warning given in connection with an
> > > > effort to
> > > > Bring another Into Compliance with law; or
>> (5) Provides false information to Law Enforcement.
(B) GRADING -- The offense is a Felony of the Third Degree (F3),
> > if the conduct which the
> > actor knows has been charged, or is liable to be charged,
> > against the person aided would
> > constitute a Felony of the First Degree (F1), or Second Degree (F2).
> > Otherwise it is a Misdemeanor of the Second Degree (M2).

Google™ Supplements & Updates:
Michael Burham - Escape - PA - Google Search
O.M.G. There are 26 charges on that second docket sheet. :oops:

Dated today (7/10): he's still out there --

Kala's obituary.
She had three children. :'(

Rest in peace Kala.

Obituary of Kala M. Hodgkin | Lind Funeral Home

The obituary indicates one of her children has the last name Burham. You have to wonder if this could be a reason for him to stay local.... My guess is that they have to put these children in hiding right now.... imo, moo.

Just think about how raw this very large extended family must feel right now. Losing Kala.... and now so many people must be just so very fearful of him on the loose....

painful.

This is rather eerie, to me.... This is the dashcam video of the first encounter LE had with Burham in SC on MAY 23, 2023....one day before he was captured after the homicide of Kala Hodgkin.

I am trying to see if he has any stronger connection to SC, or was this just totally circumstantial, that he ended up in SC.

It appears to me that LE is highly focussed on the local area, so not sure how far their searching has extended so far.

JUL 10, 2023
[...]

Federal, state and local agencies were involved in an expanded search beyond Warren on Saturday as Burham's whereabouts remained unknown, according to an update from police.

Authorities say Burham may be hiding in the woods near Warren, which is about 18 miles from Jamestown, New York. The city is just outside of the Allegheny National Forest.

"Pennsylvania State Police have assumed incident command due to geographical jurisdictions and resources as the search expands throughout the county and into areas of NY," the Saturday update posted on Facebook said.

[...]

State police believe that Burham may have gotten a hold of a firearm during his escape.

Authorities said Sunday they have no reason to believe Burham has left the county, but law enforcement is constantly reevaluating that position.

Pennsylvania State Police Lt. Col. George Bivens asked "people nationwide" to familiarize themselves with Burham's picture and to contact police if they believe they've spotted the escaped inmate.

[...]

In addition to searching on foot and with K-9 units, law enforcement also used all-terrain vehicles, utility terrain vehicles, drones and an aircraft, Warren County spokesperson Cecile Stelter said.

[...]

Residents in Warren County were advised to check their homes and surveillance cameras for any footage taken between Thursday at 11:30 p.m. to Friday at 12:30 a.m. and reach out to police if they see anything suspicious, Stelter said. Hunters should check their game cams, authorities said.

Bivens said during Sunday's news conference that it's possible Burham may have received help from one or more individuals.

"We ask residents to be very much aware that they're locking their homes, that they're securing their cars and valuables and that they make it hard for him to acquire supplies, shelter or (a) vehicle to get out of the area," Bivens said.

[...]

JUL 10, 2023
[...]

The Chautauqua County District Attorney is concerned that Michael Burham may try to return to Chautauqua County.

The District Attorney’s office considers Burham to be the prime suspect in the death of 34-year old Kala Hodgkin of 125 William Street in Jamestown.

District Attorney Jason Schmidt said Burham has ties to Chautauqua County, “The witnesses in the case we’re developing here in Chautauqua County, those are our primary concerns. To make sure they’re protected, that they’re safe, that there’s no issues there. So all of our resources right now are dedicated to that.”

[...]

Schmidt said Burham was being held in Warren County for the kidnapping charges with an open investigation still taking place in Chautauqua County, “We’re waiting on some laboratory testing results and other developments of evidence arising from the tragic homicide of Kala Hodgkin and a related arson that occurred. Now, our case is a little more complex, so we deliberately withheld charging because we have to be very careful about when we charge because it’s a full steam ahead, go. We expect to be moving in that direction soon.”

According to the Jamestown Post-Journal, as of Saturday, police officials do not believe Burham has crossed into New York state.

I can only imagine what it must be like to have a crime like this in a place like Jamestown!
I presume he is long gone from the immediate area, and more likely in the Warren area, but it would still be very unsettling. This guy has proven he is willing to kidnap people. (and, of course, murder people)

Take care.
This area has had at least 3 escapees that I know of. This one, Bucky Phillips, and a man who left a prison work detail at Allegany State Park in Steamburg, NY. The apprehension in the other two cases was not very timely ...

And, Chautauqua County NY, has had 20 or so missing or murdered women. Some of their stories are here on other Websleuths forums. Something you never forget.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back