PA - Accused killer and rapist Michael Burham escapes from Warren County Prison using tied bed sheets, Captured, July 8, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm still baffled at how he was able to escape prison using tied bed sheets. That's like something you'd see on a cartoon, not in real life. Makes me wonder how secure that prison is. JMO...
It is a small jail. Doesn't really qualify as a 'prison' as we usually think of. A prisoner like Burham could be moved to a larger state facility/prison.

@Springrain I so agree with you. It's not as if he was in there for a smallish misdemeanour. He should have been watched around the clock best can be.
Warren County PA Prison is located in the city of Warren, Pennsylvania which has a population of 9,710 (as of 2016) residents. This prison has a capacity of 139 inmates, which means this is the maximum amount of beds per facility. Warren County PA Prison began processing inmates once the original construction was completed and service started in 1991 but may have been expanded or renovated since that time, to accommodate the growing prison population. There is an average of 113 inmates currently serving time at this facility. Prisoners are housed in separate areas depending on the crimes they committed, their current risk assessment, and their behavior.
From Warren County PA Prison Inmate Search and Prisoner Info - Warren, PA

JUL 9, 2023

Ugh, I can hardly hear...
  • LE requests that residents be vigilant and report anything suspicious to them.
  • Also that they secure their homes, cars, and businesses, and not allow him easy access to supplies or a vehicle to escape in.
  • Stockpiles of supplies have been found at campsites; they are not disclosing where.
  • "It's hard to say what his mindset is or if anyone is in additional danger. I do think that not only him, but anyone in his situation, would become more desperate over time."
If I can say so when I heard he had survival skills the person who came 2 mind was Vinson filyaw because i was thinking he could have the same thing or do the same thing make a bunker underground just saying

Given his background as a survivalist/hunter/outdoorsman, I fear this could turn into an Eric Rudolph situation, where authorities spend years playing a cat-and-mouse game in the wilderness. Hopefully he slips up soon and is apprehended quickly.

Given his background as a survivalist/hunter/outdoorsman, I fear this could turn into an Eric Rudolph situation, where authorities spend years playing a cat-and-mouse game in the wilderness. Hopefully he slips up soon and is apprehended quickly.
Once Fall arrives and hunting seasons begin, there will be more people in the woods, visiting their camps and checking caves and dens for game.
Hopefully, this will end soon but this time of year, there are farm crops and edible plants and fruit. With a weapon he could be hunting and trapping. Who knows how long he can endure the isolation.
Let's hope for speedy apprehension.

Warren County Sheriff comments from Buffalo TV news station
LE should be embarrassed that he escaped so easily.

He had already done a runner when being questioned previously and they should have known he would run again if given the chance.

He is facing serious charges and should have been in a much more secure facility.

I just hope that he does not hurt more people because of LE sloppiness.

JUL 10, 2023
Local, multistate and federal authorities have searched numerous residences, abandoned structures and wooded areas using K-9 units and aerial resources such as drones and aircraft, authorities said.

Bivens said officials "have no reason to believe he has left the area," but that authorities are "constantly re-evaluating" that conclusion.

Bivens told WGRZ-TV that Burham taught himself survival skills and had military reserve training. He said authorities were searching a very large area with a lot of difficult terrain that has cabins, oil and gas sheds, and shacks that could offer a fugitive a place to hide.

While the search in Pennsylvania is continuing, police departments in WNY are also keeping watch and taking calls about recent sightings.

The Busti-Lakewood Police Department Chief tells 2 On Your Side that they are fielding calls about reports of sightings in their community. While most have not been substantiated, some leads are being pursued.

The Busti-Lakewood Police Department is investigating a recent break-in where clothing and food were taken. At this time, they cannot confirm if it is connected to the Burham case, but are continuing their investigating.

The home is 16 miles from the Warren County Jail.

About 150 officers from more than 15 law enforcement agencies are involved in the search.

“We are pushing him hard. You know, I’ve talked about the resources that are committed. We continue to ramp that up. We continue to make sure that we are putting pressure on him and we won’t know until we capture him just how close we are. We will capture him,” said Lt. Col. George Bivens, Pennsylvania State Police.

so does he stay near Warren or really try to get far away? does he try to contact his parents? does he try to steal alcohol? (the note in the car in SC was to his father and said he recently became sober....) Docs: Michael Burham left note to father after suspected killing, kidnapping

does he find some unsuspecting people (or new girlfriend) to charm and help him out? steal another car? I am thinking of the 2 men who broke out in upstate NY a few summers ago...

A woman who lives next to the jail says Burham was seen running through her yard the night he escaped.

TIMELINE:
[...]

May 11: Jamestown police find a woman’s body and respond to a car fire.
May 12: The deceased woman is identified as 34-year-old Kala Hodgkin, a mother of three children ages 8, 11 and 14.
May 22: Burham, considered a “prime suspect” in Hodgkin’s killing, allegedly kidnaps a couple in Pennsylvania while on the run.
May 24: Burham is captured in South Carolina after leading police on a manhunt that stretched nearly two weeks.
June 14: Burham appears in federal court in Buffalo before being extradited to Pennsylvania.
July 6: Burham breaks out of Warren County Jail using exercise equipment and bed sheets. He was last seen at 11:20 p.m.

[...]

“How did this happen? I heard that the Sheriff said that he was embarrassed. Well, he should be embarrassed,” Bernie Tolbert, former special agent in charge with the FBI in Buffalo, told News 4"

I found myself informing and warning relatives hours away from there!! But you just never know. We have seen so many cases of escapees hiding in remote winter and hunting camps...
At first, I thought he got far away... but LE is truly concentrating on him being local so we all will be watching with bated breath.

Sad.... saw images of him 10 years ago with a newborn, and family and extended family life just seems pretty normal ...
What happens to people? When and how does the violence creep in?

just my rambling sad personal thoughts here. Of course.

[...]

“We have structured this investigation and manhunt in a way that it is very sustainable,” said Lt. Col. George Bivens, Deputy Commissioner of Operations for the Pennsylvania State Police. “So, yes, we will continue to devote the resources to it. We’re not simply going to walk away. And that’s my message to Burham: We’re not going away. We absolutely will be incarcerating you again. It’s only a matter of time.”

Bivens reiterated Tuesday that officials believe Burham, 34, is still in the general area of Warren, Pa., near Allegheny National Forest...

The reward for information leading to Burham’s capture was increased to $19,500 on Tuesday, thanks to a $10,000 contribution from Pennsylvania CrimeStoppers. That adds to $7,500 put up by the U.S. Marshalls and $2,000 from Warren County CrimeStoppers.

[...]

Bivens would only define the search area as being “focused in northwestern PA and the southern portion of New York.” ...

[...]

Police said that there have been several possible sightings called in by area residents, which led to specific searches in the area – including at a building at 3rd Avenue and Water Street on Friday night that lasted several hours, and reported break-ins to cabins in nearby forests.

However, police said that while there have been multiple reported break-ins in the area since Thursday night, but there is “no indication” that Burham was attached to any of them.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back