GUILTY PA - Bonnie Sweeten for staged abduction, swindle, Upper Southampton, 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The daughter, Julia, wasn't arrested. It's painfully obvious that the article was written by a non-native English speaker whose grasp of English isn't very strong, so "arrested" was just a poor choice of words. Julia was taken into protective custody until her father could come get her.
No, it is being reported that way by Fox and other affiliates across the board because they are quoting Michelle Henry from Bucks County DA's Office.

http://cbs2.com/national/mom.daughter.abducted.2.1021808.html

Gosh, how embarrassing for the child, Julia. I realize there are bigger issues at hand, like the mother's sanity, what many of you seem to think about the father's possible involvement (although I tend to disagree he had any prior knowledge of this), and the abuse of the Amber Alert system by Sweeten, but I remember being 9 years old. Its old enough to know what's going on and to read the media, and hear people call your mother a wacko. I just wonder what kind of effect this whole event is going to have on the poor child. I'm sure she and her mother were very close.

Well that $285,000 check could become her waterloo. It seems she not only took from the law firm but also involved her own parents by writing a check I am sure wasn't covered. It shows the admission of guilt. She would not be trying to pay it back if she didn't illegally take it.

I don't think her present husband has a clue about any of the financial dealings. He said she did all the bookkeeping on their own affairs. He needs to check and see what debts she has gotten them into without his knowledge.

imo

I don't know what she did with all of that money but if she was using it to shop like the locals are speculating I can't imagine he didn't wonder where she was getting all of her money. My guess is while he didn't have anything to do with the kidnapping hoax, he's not all that innocent in the theft.

What a mess. It sounds like she has been building a house of cards for some time. The amout of her deception seems perfectly balanced by the blind faith of her family. Did she really think she could pass off a rubber check for $285, 000 and not get caught. Wouldn't her parents also be in trouble for the bad check? Does that mean her parents knew of her troubles?

Local news is reporting that the check was due to "clear" the day she skipped town.

Bonnie's cell, F-DORML-19
Casey's cell, F-DORML-22

Another curious thing about the booking info is her most recent address. That is not the address of her house. 2304 Brownsville Road is the address of a trailer park about 1/4 of a mile from her home. Where would that address come from...her license? She purchased her current home in 12/06. Is it possible she never changed the address on her license and that she used to live in the trailer park?

If that's the case and she lived in the trailer park before it's pretty strange that she went from the trailer park to a big, expensive house (purchase price of $424,978). Makes my mind wonder where all that money went and if the current husband knew more than he is letting on.

Some updated info:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Police-Searching-for-Woman-Child-Trapped-in-Trunk.html

Runaway mom Bonnie Sweeten -- the white woman who claimed she and her daughter had been thrown in a trunk and abducted by two black men -- may have stolen up to $700,000 to finance a lavish lifestyle, according to The Burlington County Times. That may be reason for the abduction hoax Sweeten used to make her great escape to Disney World with her 9-year old daughter.

The paper reported Friday morning that police believe Sweeten may have taken between $300,000 and 700,000 while she worked at a personal injury law firm. She allegedly used the money to maintain a lifestyle that included bills totaling $100,000 for in vitro fertilization, a $425,000 house in the 'burbs and a $50,000 SUV (that nice gold Denali Sweeten claimed she was abducted from).

Sweeten may have been trying to pay off thefts before victims, which include family members, according to the paper, went to police. She wrote a $285,000 check to one of the victims from a family landscaping business account, but it bounced last week, police said. Sweeten may have been trying to change a $20,000 check from her parents to read $285,000, according to the report.

Sweeten has an extradition hearing in Orlando Friday morning, which she is expected to waive. At that point, she'd be processed for a return trip to Bucks County to face charges. Her daughter, Julia, was brought home late Thurday by her dad, Anthony Rakoczy.

"We live an average life. If she was stealing money, as they're saying, I have no idea where it's going," Larry Sweeten said. "We're living, we're making our payments. Nothing extravagant."
Larry Sweeten confirms his wife has had eight miscarriages over the last several years and has undergone hormone treatments for that. Investigators are looking to see if any of that alleged stolen money went to pay for those treatments.
The couple now has an 8-month-old daughter.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6837970

Whatever financial issues she or her family had before this stunt, it is nothing compared to the mess she has created for them all now.

Additional info from local ABC - http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6837970

UPPER SOUTHAMPTON TWP - May 29, 2009 (WPVI) -- The mom in the kidnapping hoax case in due in court today.

Bonnie Sweeten is accused of filing false reports that she and her daughter were kidnapped, and then taking her daughter for a trip to Disney World while using another woman's ID to get there. Sweeten's 9-year-old daughter, Julia Rakoczy, is safe and sound. Julia's father, Anthony, who is Sweeten's ex-husband, was reunited with his daughter in Orlando on Thursday afternoon at the Orange County Sheriff's Office in Florida.

In the meantime, we are learning more details about Bonnie Sweeten and why she may have fled.

Sweeten was a paralegal and officer manager for a firm that used to have offices in her home town of Feasterville, Pa. She handled paperwork for various lawsuits.

Lydia Demetro said she was told by Sweeten in March that she would be getting a $50,000 settlement for a personal injury lawsuit handled by attorney Debbie Carlitz.

Demetro claims she hit a brick wall with Sweeten while trying to collect her money. "She kept on telling me 'We haven't heard anything, we don't know what's going on," Demetro said.

Demetro says she found out what was going on when she spoke to a friend in law enforcement on Wednesday, just as Sweeten's elaborate kidnapping hoax unravelled.

"I was told she was cashing the checks by the bank, forging them, and depositing them," Demetro said. She also told Action News that Sweeten told her she had numerous financial worries.

Investigators are looking into the possibility that Sweeten stole between $600,000 to $1 million from the law firm and charity headed by Bucks County attorney Debbie Carlitz.

Police visited the head of the Carlitz Foundation in New Hope, Pennsylvania on Wednesday. It bills itself as a charity raising money for children in Burma. But, it is not registered as a charitable non-profit with the state. Lawyer Debbie Carlitz would not talk to Action News except to say she has been talking to police. She also would not say why Sweeten is a former employee.

Action News spoke to Larry Sweeten, Bonnie Sweeten's husband. He says his wife has not contacted him, and he has not been able to get ahold of her. He says he is puzzled the reports that his wife stole as much as a million dollars. "We live an average life. If she was stealing money, as they're saying, I have no idea where it's going," Larry Sweeten said. "We're living, we're making our payments. Nothing extravagant."

Larry Sweeten confirms his wife has had eight miscarriages over the last several years and has undergone hormone treatments for that. Investigators are looking to see if any of that alleged stolen money went to pay for those treatments. The couple now has an 8-month-old daughter.

"I know when you do in vitro you take hormone shots, and that messes with her extremely. She was emotional. When she had the baby, she was extremely attached to the baby," Larry Sweeten said.

"I think she got herself in over her head a little bit and she kind of lost it a little bit," ex-husband Anthony Rakoczy said on "Good Morning America" on Thursday. "I've known this woman a long time and she's always been very together."

I'm just glad they are okay. There's too much of the missing/abducting/killing going on. She needs to pay for her mistakes that's for sure, but thank goodness her and her daughter are okay. I listened to the current husband on TV this morning, and he sounds like a normal guy who really didn't know what his wife was doing with the $$, she controlled their finances and paid all the bills of course. Poor guy. If he was involved I'll eat my words!

I am still thinking the current husband had knowledge of BS's dealings and i wouldn't be surprised to learn current husband knew of her plan to go to FL, and that the kidnapping story was false. His behavior was hinky when everyone was frantically trying to find this mother and child. He didn't go on camera until after it was learned BS was seen at the airport.
If BS really has embezzled one million dollars, I find it very difficult to believe current hubby had no knowledge. They weren't millionaires with properties and monies invested here and there making it a lot easier to hide money.
Call me crazy but I think current hubby is somehow involved in this hoax, or knew about her planned hoax, or in the very least had knowledge that she was embezzling money.
The papers keep saying BS most likely had financial issues, and that there is a domestic issue with current hubby. The financial issues I understand.
But the way they word the domestic concern makes me wonder what they think was going on.

Here is how it is worded:
"We believe that there were some domestic concerns with her husband and some financial concerns as well," Henry said.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news...Say_Mother_Reported_Carjacking_From_Car_Trunk

I think the only hoax that Mr. Sweeten is involved in is the one pulled on him and the country by the wife he thought he could trust.

I don't think he knew one thing about any of this. In fact I think it would behoove him greatly to have an accountant check out their own personal finances and especially his landscaping business which he stated that Bonnie does all of the accounting and bookkeeping.:eek: I think he is going to find that not only had she bilked money out of her past employer but has misappropriated funds from their personal account. It also would not surprise me if he learns she has put them into further debt behind his back.

There is no evidence of domestic violence in this marriage. Any woman who leaves love notes for her husband regularly seems to genuinely know and appreciate they have a loving husband.

This is not the fault of the male imo whether he be the ex husband or the present husband. He is caught up in this nightmare. He and the children will be horribly shamed by all of this. Even his livelihood could suffer from it making it harder to support his family.

No woman who is having domestic discord with her husband goes away on one way tickets under a false ID and leaves a 9 month old baby behind and a distraught 15 year old for him to tend to. Imo, she knew her husband is a good man who would see to it that the ones left behind were well taken care of....

imo

okay......it is six minutes after nine.... LOL.. I must say there are a lot of people doing bad things in Orlando!

and evidently she didn't give the DL back because she used it at the airport. why wasn't this woman requesting her DL back the same day?
ETA: Ok, it seems as though, BS went to this woman's house to get her DL, and then used it at the airport the same day. Very calculated. Now it makes sense why this woman didn't ask for her license back. I thought BS asked her for the license while at work and then left with it.
Heh, heh..... it's kinda funny that her initials are BS, isn't it?

Sorry, for some reason it just amused me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back