Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, there aren't any cameras on Scott, not that I could see. There is one at the parking garage, under the roof by the attendant station, and then another on the wall in the pass through to Barker looking at the door. That's it. It's really a perfect spot, especially with construction on the Warhol/7th St. Bridge. I've looked a lot, but I don't see any security cameras on the outside of the apartment building, and that makes no sense especially for insurance purposes.

I wonder if LE has taken footage from the Rachel Carson bridge, too. We are thinking he was picked up, so a car likely drove towards the convention center. Per Google Maps, i don't see any other cameras until the Rachel Carson bridge. Or, he could've crossed the median on FDB. Idk...I'd think LE would have thought of all of this already...

http://www.timesonline.com/news/loc...cle_89f15748-002e-11e7-a2df-234f4f9c8b25.html

[FONT=&quot]Crews will use boats and drones Saturday morning to search the 27 miles of the river that run through Beaver County[/FONT]

This weekend marks a massive effort in the search for DJ.

Searches are scheduled in at least three parks and a long stretch of the Ohio River.

This river search is limited to Beaver County boundaries. Are these river searches now coordinated via jurisdiction, or is there another logic? Is it a primary matter of temperature, weather and river flow rates? What is the formula? It just seems odd to include county boundaries as a factor in the calculation. Shouldn't the aforementioned variables (T, W, FR) be considered as the only relevant variables?

I know I'm talking to myself at this time of night, but...thinking about if my above post is plausible, then off of the Rachel Carson Bridge, the driver could turn onto I279. Ironically, that is an easy way to get to Riverview Park, where BHOM is searching this wknd, as well as North Park...where they also are searching.

I think LE knows a lot more than we do.

I could just be letting my imagination get the best of me, but something makes a lot more sense now.

I know I'm talking to myself at this time of night, but...thinking about if my above post is plausible, then off of the Rachel Carson Bridge, the driver could turn onto I279. Ironically, that is an easy way to get to Riverview Park, where BHOM is searching this wknd, as well as North Park...where they also are searching.

I could just be letting my imagination get the best of me, but something makes a lot more sense now.

I'm curious how the planned down-stream river search tomorrow morning and the theory of Dakota getting picked up by a vehicle play out together, if that makes sense? Can they be consistent and, if so, how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.timesonline.com/news/loc...cle_89f15748-002e-11e7-a2df-234f4f9c8b25.html

This weekend marks a massive effort in the search for DJ.

Searches are scheduled in at least three parks and a long stretch of the Ohio River.

This river search is limited to Beaver County boundaries. Are these river searches now coordinated via jurisdiction, or is there another logic? Is it a primary matter of temperature, weather and river flow rates? What is the formula? It just seems odd to include county boundaries as a factor in the calculation. Shouldn't the aforementioned variables (T, W, FR) be considered as the only relevant variables?

This is just my opinion but I live in Beaver County and I believe it's just the emergency officials here deciding to take part in the search and not based off any specific calculations. I've wondered why they haven't done this sooner as the rain lately has caused the river to run pretty rapid. I am down at the park by the river daily and always keep an eye out just in case. Also, we were down there Sunday and a helicopter that appeared to not have any markings flew over at a rather slow pace and seemed to follow downstream, so I'm not sure if they were already looking by air or if it was a coincidence as I never saw anything about it.

Agreed, and that could be what's fueling Dakota's mom to attack them so frequently. If they have more info that they're not sharing with the family, it could look to them like they're not doing anything.

Your theories about 279 are great!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This is just my opinion but I live in Beaver County and I believe it's just the emergency officials here deciding to take part in the search and not based off any specific calculations. I've wondered why they haven't done this sooner as the rain lately has caused the river to run pretty rapid. I am down at the park by the river daily and always keep an eye out just in case. Also, we were down there Sunday and a helicopter that appeared to not have any markings flew over at a rather slow pace and seemed to follow downstream, so I'm not sure if they were already looking by air or if it was a coincidence as I never saw anything about it.

IIRC, there was a request from PPD for a PSP helicopter to search up to 120 miles downstream from the Point. I am not aware of private aerial search hires.

*warning - following speculations are mildly graphic*

Flow rates have been in flux across many days since DJ went missing. That, along with DJ's jacket would present a challenge (high flow rate + water-logged clothing), assuming DJ entered the river.

It was three months before PK was recovered from the Ohio in WV. That was a December-March time frame, similar to what we now have with DJ's case. I believe PK was physically larger overall than is DJ, that larger surface area would have resulted in a larger coefficient of friction, which we may safely assume could have resulted in PK moving a greater distance in a high-flow rate than would someone of smaller physical stature. I am not sure to what degree a person's weight becomes a factor, except that I would assume a heavier person would present with greater momentum in flow, resulting in lesser chance of getting snagged.

Locks, dams and debris are additional factors in the equation, along with varying currents, snag points and depressions along the river bed. This can never be an exact science, so logical assumptions and experience are the next best things.

Agree about partying on a Wednesday, at 23 that is status quo... I also agree with the rest of your statement. He did not just disappear, the police know what happened, but wouldn't they tell the family?

I believe police have video of what happened to Dakota in the alley. He either got into a car or met up with someone. They can't release it because it would alert the suspect and hurt their chances of arresting and prosecuting said person. Also, if a crime was committed on the video surveillance, they certainly would not release it to the public.

Also, I think nothing of Dakota and his friend drinking heavily on a Wednesday night. I see it all the time. They are young.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017...nt-dakota-james-to-be-conducted-in-beaver-co/

It seems LE is sure they know 'where' DJ ended up; for them, it's now a matter of 'how far' from the original scene.

I think you pointed this out the other day, and I, too, think the statement made by the mayor on Wednesday is rather telling:

"Mayor Bill Peduto said Wednesday that authorities have followed up on every lead they’ve received, but nothing has yielded results.

'We know all of the facts about where he was that evening, who he was with that evening, the condition he was in that evening, where he was traveling that evening,' Peduto said. 'And then, once he gets to that bridge, it all disappears.'" (BBM)
http://www.wtae.com/article/dakota-james-mother-criticizes-police-no-evidence-of-abduction/9081075

One possibility I can think of is that LE has an image of Dakota getting on the bridge, but may not have released it because the family has not agreed to it ("Family viewed the new video from the Cultural Trust and agreed that the still photo of Dakota in Katz Plaza should be released to the media"; there may be other photos which the family has not agreed to releasing).
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12004988-74/james-police-duquesne

Maybe it isn't a very clear image, and the family has doubts as to it really is Dakota. Further, if it isn't very clear, it wouldn't make much sense to release it to the public for the purpose of jogging their memory.

I think you pointed this out the other day, and I, too, think the statement made by the mayor on Wednesday is rather telling:

"Mayor Bill Peduto said Wednesday that authorities have followed up on every lead they’ve received, but nothing has yielded results.

'We know all of the facts about where he was that evening, who he was with that evening, the condition he was in that evening, where he was traveling that evening,' Peduto said. 'And then, once he gets to that bridge, it all disappears.'" (BBM)
http://www.wtae.com/article/dakota-james-mother-criticizes-police-no-evidence-of-abduction/9081075

One possibility I can think of is that LE has an image of Dakota getting on the bridge, but may not have released it because the family has not agreed to it ("Family viewed the new video from the Cultural Trust and agreed that the still photo of Dakota in Katz Plaza should be released to the media"; there may be other photos which the family has not agreed to releasing).
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12004988-74/james-police-duquesne

Maybe it isn't a very clear image, and the family has doubts as to it really is Dakota. Further, if it isn't very clear, it wouldn't make much sense to release it to the public for the purpose of jogging their memory.

Alcohol is a depressant it brings you down.

Maybe it made him start thinking about something that was really bothering him and he did go into the river.

Being gay does constitute a lot of problems in your life. It would not be as easy of a life as another 23 year old. Many people do not accept that lifestyle and look at it as an abomination against God...

He would have to face that everyday...

Why was the FBI involved so early on in that case?

Do we know if the FBI became involved in Dakota's case?

I ask because Dakota's mother has been livid on Facebook from the very early days, accusing Pittsburgh authorities of botching and not handling the investigation properly.

Who involves the FBI? Do they get alerted by default and decide to join, or are they requested to participate by local police?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I thought I heard LE say the FBI was involved in Dakota's case at the press conference, so did a Google search and found this:

"Police have enlisted the help of numerous law enforcement entities, including the FBI and Coast Guard, to help with the search. Investigators have reviewed security camera footage from Downtown businesses, social media and Mr. James’ bank accounts, and have conducted searches by land, air and water, but nothing has led them to him." (BBM)
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/c...-University-grad-student/stories/201702280283

It is usually (if not always) the local police agency with jurisdiction over the case that requests FBI's participation. They are not alerted by default, nor decide to join an investigation on their own. What I have observed with regard to other missing person cases is that local authorities often ask FBI for help uncovering evidence related to the person's phone(s), computer(s), SM activities ... electronic stuff. More info here:
https://www.fbi.gov/about/faqs/if-a...laws-does-the-fbi-take-over-the-investigation

Can any PGH boys confirm if they saw Dakota on Grindr or Scruff that night? It could increase the odds he decided to meet up with someone.

As much as it pains me to say it, the most likely scenario is that he ended up in the river. Young, inebriated males near bodies of water seem to end that way over and over again.

It looks like this image may not have uploaded correctly, so here goes again:
attachment.php

Okay, so I was curious and went after work to check out the camera scene. Here are the cameras I saw in the immediate area, along with my opinion of their scope and direction. There were some cameras that were in that "bubble" sphere and I wasn't sure which way they pointed; these I marked with a green question mark.

attachment.php

The parking garage area past Katz Plaza wasn't too badly lit but continuing down Scott Place and over down Barkers Place made me uneasy, even though it wasn't fully dark yet.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 247
I'm new here and I mostly read. My theory is he was down on that heritage trail. I think it may have been a hookup from past or present gone wrong. Foul play in some eay I think if they can get there hands on his grinder info, they will find a link to what happened to him that night.

Curious about one thing - why would Dakota cut across Katz Plaza and through the alley entrance rather than go straight to the parking garage area from 7th Street? It's much brighter lit and takes you to the exact same spot. The only thing that I saw in that stretch of alley was the back entrance to Seven (a bar, closes at 2:00 AM on Wednesdays). Is it possible he was meeting up with who worked there for any reason?

I guess Dakota wasn't found today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members