PA PA - Kortne Ciera Stouffer, 21, Palmyra, 29 July 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is starting to look as though nothing will advance this case. An acknowledgement from LE every month or two that they are working on it, that is all I am wishing for...
I agree, but not just for the high profile cases. I'd like to see local LE agencies issue regular reports for all of the missing persons in their jurisdictions, even if it's just to list the names with the contact information for the detectives assigned to the cases, and brief notes on recent action or progress.

I agree, but not just for the high profile cases. I'd like to see local LE agencies issue regular reports for all of the missing persons in their jurisdictions, even if it's just to list the names with the contact information for the detectives assigned to the cases, and brief notes on recent action or progress.

Also, just to remind the public they still need info. People forget, not everyone is like us.

Chanler, do you think it is the most effective manner to handle a case such as this? I know LE is under no obligation to pass any information along, but sometimes I wonder if playing it so "close to the vest" is always the best approach. Just curious to hear your thoughts not so much on whether or not silence means nothing is being done, but if silence is the best approach. TIA

Hi, Reedus23; thanks for your note. I think that the law enforcement functions best when they use the media to further specific leads or warnings, not simply to broadcast generic statements. Guarding against leaks is also important. I think that the best regarded police forces here and abroad follow this practice

I honestly can't imagine what people imagine that law enforcement can announce that would suddenly advance this case.

The reason I do not like the silence in this particular case has to do with an LEO being one of the very last people to see her. The complete silence is troubling.

As I noted, several law enforcement and prosecutorial agencies are involved in this investigation. That local policeman (who presumably finished his shift) would have been questioned by officers beyond his department.

As I noted, several law enforcement and prosecutorial agencies are involved in this investigation. That local policeman (who presumably finished his shift) would have been questioned by officers beyond his department.

Just talking about public perception, that's all. I am a part of the public and it sticks in my mind that this LEO was the last one or two people to see Kortne alive, that's all. And then, complete and total silence.

That's true, and other than asking the public for help to ID the driver of the truck, LE had little else to say. It was the community, led by Mickey's family and friends, who kept her case in the spotlight. But the entire time, LE and PI's were working in the background.

Exactly. Law enforcement asking for help on a specific lead can help, but there has to be such a lead.

And as you note, family and friends can keep the case in the spotlight as law enforcement and private investigators work in the background. They are not powerless.

The parallel with Mickey Shunick doesn't really fit. Her bike was known to be missing and was found soon after her disappearance. A video of Shunick on that bike the day she was killed showed a vehicle that police were able to link with her killer, a registered sex offender.

In this case, there is no bike and there seems to be no witnesses, electronic or otherwise.

but the only reason her bike was assumed missing, was because the person riding was as well. The cops still had nothing to go on except a route they knew she'd take. They were vigilant in helping bring her home, unlike this case. They also didn't know which vehicle it was until weeks later and still couldn't identify BSL until weeks later. It wasn't an open and shut case at all.

LE is completely dropping the ball here and it seems like they would like nothing more than for this case to disappear into the abyss. Which is the opposite of what LE should be doing. They haven't even held a presser stating they are still working/looking/etc. They don't have to answer questions during a presser, most of the time they don't answer anything that has relevance anyway. As a female, I'd be scared to walk around Palmyra. From reading their newspapers, it doesn't seem like the town cares much either.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/in...ffers_disappearance.html#incart_river_default

Lebanon County District Attorney David Arnold said the investigation is still active and detectives have not run out of leads. He is calling her disappearance “very suspicious” but is not yet ready to call it criminal.
“There are definitely things we’re continuing to work on,” he said. “We’re not out of leads or things we can look into.”
Arnold said he could not be specific. Investigators have interviewed the downstairs neighbors, the friends she spent her last night with and many others, he said.

Still nothing about the last LE officer who should have seen her alive, but either wasn't doing his job or something else about the situation that is keeping them quiet about this person.

but the only reason her bike was assumed missing, was because the person riding was as well. The cops still had nothing to go on except a route they knew she'd take. They were vigilant in helping bring her home, unlike this case. They also didn't know which vehicle it was until weeks later and still couldn't identify BSL until weeks later. It wasn't an open and shut case at all.

LE is completely dropping the ball here and it seems like they would like nothing more than for this case to disappear into the abyss. Which is the opposite of what LE should be doing. They haven't even held a presser stating they are still working/looking/etc. They don't have to answer questions during a presser, most of the time they don't answer anything that has relevance anyway. As a female, I'd be scared to walk around Palmyra. From reading their newspapers, it doesn't seem like the town cares much either.

I didn't say that it wasn't an open and shut case.

It was known that Mickey's bike was missing; it was only important because she was missing too. There is no equivalent in the Stouffer case; as far as we know, her personal effects are not missing, so there will be no bike or cell phone found.

The Shunick case was solved successfully partly because the registered sex offender culprit himself falsely reported to the police that his car was stolen; and went to a hospital himself claiming to have been physically assaulted and then provided inconsistent answers to the police when they were called because of his claim. If something parallel occurs in the Stouffer case, I trust that we will not hear about it until the arrest of the killer.

<Mod Snip>
The interview of the county district attorney in the PennLive link kindly provided by Palmyra Dad shows that investigators are pursuing this case and willing and able to make properly reserved responses.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/in...ffers_disappearance.html#incart_river_default

Still nothing about the last LE officer who should have seen her alive, but either wasn't doing his job or something else about the situation that is keeping them quiet about this person.

Hi, StacyMarie. On the contrary, if a policeman returns to a place in the early morning hours where there was a noise complaint and finds the place quiet and lights out, I would imagine that he would quite logically (and humanely) assume that the situation had resolved itself.

Thanks for the article Palmyra. So correct me if I'm wrong. LE is saying as of now, they think Kortne left of her own accord? If they aren't willing to say it's criminal, then doesn't that say they think she left voluntarily? I hope I'm missing something because I kind of find that kind of offensive. I suppose it's always a possibility but just seems so unlikely.

Thanks for the article Palmyra. So correct me if I'm wrong. LE is saying as of now, they think Kortne left of her own accord? If they aren't willing to say it's criminal, then doesn't that say they think she left voluntarily? I hope I'm missing something because I kind of find that kind of offensive. I suppose it's always a possibility but just seems so unlikely.

I was thinking that they just did not find any type of a crime scene or clues to show she was harmed. Kind of like Katelyn Markham; LE still has not ruled out her leaving on her own, after 15 months, because there were no traces of a struggle, forensics, etc.

I don't think it means they believe she left on her own, necessarily, just that nothing shows otherwise (except of course, the circumstances, and the fact that both women are gone, both left their dogs, etc...)

I was thinking that they just did not find any type of a crime scene or clues to show she was harmed. Kind of like Katelyn Markham; LE still has not ruled out her leaving on her own, after 15 months, because there were no traces of a struggle, forensics, etc.

I don't think it means they believe she left on her own, necessarily, just that nothing shows otherwise (except of course, the circumstances, and the fact that both women are gone, both left their dogs, etc...)

I understand what you're saying Clu. I just think that all those exceptions you listed make it kind of offensive to be making public statements that they don't think it was criminal. If I were Kortne's family at least, I would be offended, pissed and who know's what else.

but is not yet ready to call it criminal.

I understand what you're saying Clu. I just think that all those exceptions you listed make it kind of offensive to be making public statements that they don't think it was criminal. If I were Kortne's family at least, I would be offended, pissed and who know's what else.

I totally agree. I would be livid, and also making my feelings extremely plain, if I was a friend or relative of Kortne's.

It is my belief that the noise reported in the 2nd phone call was Kortne fighting for her life.

The recent new article was a long article repeating the very little any of us already knew. It screamed pacification! Appeasement to the media and public. WHY if they have no suspect would they not have the PSP or FBI get heavily involved? This article verified, for me amyway, that they had nothing then and have nothing now. Heck, thy STILL didnt say if the very last person known to be with her passed the lie detector test. WHY NOT?

I just want Kortne to be found. I am really worried that not enough is being done to find her. I care about Kortne even though I don't know her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme