GUILTY PA - Nalani Johnson, 2, Penn Hills Boro, Allegheny County, 31 Aug 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SEP 5, 2019
NALANI JOHNSON: Death of child who was reported kidnapped believed to be homicide
The death of Nalani Johnson, who police allege was kidnapped by Sharena Nancy, is believed to be a homicide, according to the Allegheny County district attorney. He said investigators are not looking at anyone else as having a possible role in the toddler's death.

[...]

"There's no evidence that indicates anyone else was responsible for that child being taken from Penn Hills and then ultimately placed in the woods in Indiana County," Zappala said.

Exposure to the elements has been ruled out as a cause of death, according to the district attorney.

[...]

While the cause and manner of death are pending test results, "the expectation is that the manner of death will be homicide," Zappala's office said.

"We're going to see what the coroner has to say, ultimately. If he gives an opinion consistent with our conversation yesterday, then we'll charge criminal homicide along with the kidnapping, and we'll join all those charges and have one preliminary hearing," Zappala said. "And then, assuming everything is held for court -- and obviously, this woman is innocent until she's proven guilty -- assuming everything is held for court, then we'll file one indictment."

[...]

"The consensus was this was a baby who was taken from Allegheny County, and the people of Allegheny County should have the opportunity to determine what, if any, crimes were committed against that child," Zappala said.

See the interview with District Attorney Stephen Zappala in the article.

I also wanted to add that going thru my research, causes of death where no obvious signs of trauma to the body (in children) are suffocation, drowning (assuming body was dry), intoxication (drugs or poisoning) and internal bleeding. Deaths due to exposure can include dehydration, hypothermia and hyperthermia. I thought I read that they don't think she died of exposure so smothering seems a strong possibility here. Of course, there is the dreaded "undetermined" finding but that doesn't mean it's not a homicide. The coroner can't release a cause of death until all the testing comes back so the DA will probably hold off charging Nancy with Nalani's death until then.

Erin Clarke on Twitter
New details: We’re learning more about Nalani Johnson’s uncle, who was the third person in the car right before she was abducted, tonight on 11 News at 5.
5:03 PM - 5 Sep 2019

WPXI on Twitter
"No reason to lie." The friend who was in the car with Nalani Johnson's father the night she went missing explains what happened, NOW on 11 News >>> https://on.wpxi.com/watch-live
EDurMYaWkAMkeKS.jpg

5:01 PM - 5 Sep 2019

Jim Madalinsky on Twitter
For the second straight day people continued to stop by Pine Ridge Park as this memorial for Nalani Johnson is still growing. We’ll have more on how this community in Indiana County is trying to show their support tonight - on @WTAE at 5 & 6.
EDun2wdWwAApEQl.jpg

4:45 PM - 5 Sep 2019

PamSuranoKDKA on Twitter
Veterans Memorial Park in Blairsville right now resembles a birthday party, one Nalani Johnson never got to have. A community deeply affected by the toddler’s death is holding a candlelight vigil in the little girl’s memory. Nalani would have turned 2 this month. @TheCW @KDKA
EDvJKhLWkAYAWw-.jpg
EDvJKg8XYAAWhcr.jpg
EDvJKhNXoAAS5Cz.jpg
EDvJKhSXoAABy9M.jpg

7:10 PM - 5 Sep 2019 from Blairsville, PA

They say it's homicide and dad wasn't involved. I would guess that she could have purchased something that was used to kill the baby and they have those videos and or purchase information. That would give them the proof based on the times that she was solely responsible for the poor baby's death. We don't know what she bought...if it were antifreeze, some type of OTC drug that's deadly when given to a child in large amounts. I would put my $$ on it being something she bought that they can say there were no injuries to Nalani. This information would also be why they need to wait for the tox screens before determining what caused her death. Rest in Peace Nalani.
JMO MOO

This is what I'm leaning towards as well. Great thinking!

It does ease my mind and heart greatly, that no matter what else happened, Nalani did not suffer out there by herself for 3 days in agony.

PamSuranoKDKA on Twitter (Video)
Veterans Memorial Park in Blairsville is filling up with a community that wants to show the family of Nalani Johnson support and love during their time of need. Organizers say the family of the toddler will arrive soon. @CW @KDKA for more.
8:20 PM - 5 Sep 2019 from Blairsville, PA

Michele Newell on Twitter (Video)
A vigil for #NalaniJohnson is about to begin, in Blairsville.... there are about 100 people here, more are coming. http://www.wpxi.com
8:26 PM - 5 Sep 2019

Chandi Chapman on Twitter (Video)
Vigil is about to begin for Nalani Johnson at Blairsville Veterans Memorial Park. @WTAE
8:35 PM - 5 Sep 2019

Last edited:
Erin Clarke on Twitter
New details: We’re learning more about Nalani Johnson’s uncle, who was the third person in the car right before she was abducted, tonight on 11 News at 5.
5:03 PM - 5 Sep 2019

WPXI on Twitter
"No reason to lie." The friend who was in the car with Nalani Johnson's father the night she went missing explains what happened, NOW on 11 News >>> https://on.wpxi.com/watch-live
EDurMYaWkAMkeKS.jpg

5:01 PM - 5 Sep 2019
So is he a friend or an uncle? Does it make a difference?

I truly hope there is no chance that Sharena Nancy could be pregnant by Johnson.

OMG.
They were in the "beginning stages of an intermittent romantic relationship" which started in March (about 5 months ago).
In early April, Johnson and Nalani's mom' relationship ended in a very volatile manner.
Nancy's neighbor heard them frequently arguing "over their relationship."
Let's hope she's not pregnant.

SEP 5, 2019
Allegheny, Indiana Co. DAs: Nalani Johnson's Death Expected To Be Ruled Homicide

[...]

Zappala said technology tracked Nancy’s car and phone from Penn Hills to Blairsville and back where she was arrested.

[...]

“The car seat is on the ground and the child is strapped in it as you would strap a child in a car.” The spot in the woods so remote Zappala concludes, “Clearly her intention was for somebody not to find that child.”

How Nalani, she would have turned two September 15th, died is up to the coroner to determine. Zappala says, “One conclusion I can share with you is that the baby didn’t die from exposure. Which gives some solace because that is a particularly agonizing way to die.”

Among things the coroner will be looking at is suffocation, “There’s some test they want to run, they eliminated exposure, they eliminate trauma, there are no ligature marks so you can eliminate strangulation.”

[...]

“The only evidence we have right now indicates the defendant, the person who is under arrest for the kidnapping charges is responsible for taking that baby and ultimately the homicide that’s involved,” Zappala said.

[...]

Zappala said once the autopsy comes back a criminal homicide charge will be filed against Sharena Nancy in a case he acknowledges has gripped the community.

[...]

He says its too early to know whether they will seek the death penalty.

I don't know. Maybe he is Gladys' brother and that's why he was called a friend in the beginning? No idea. MOO
That is what I am wondering- if he is Glady's brother? Could they have been arguing about her in the car- didn't LE say it was Nancy and the friend that were fighting?

If he had been the father's brother, they would have said so.

SEP 5, 2019
NALANI JOHNSON: Death of child who was reported kidnapped believed to be homicide
[...]

"We're waiting for the coroner's office to come back with their conclusions on cause of death. The gentleman said five to six weeks. We're going to send some people out to talk to the pathologists and see if we can shorten that time frame," Zappala said.

[...]

Zappala said tests being done for the coroner by a private forensic pathology group could show if suffocation was the cause of death.

[...]

Nancy is charged with kidnapping and other counts in the case. Zappala said her hearing on those charges will not be held until any homicide charge is determined.

[...]

"She (Nancy) walked a pretty good distance from Route 22, and then there was an access road. She had to park on that access road. And I believe it was her intention that nobody find that child," Zappala said.

[...]

That is what I am wondering- if he is Glady's brother? Could they have been arguing about her in the car- didn't LE say it was Nancy and the friend that were fighting?

If he had been the father's brother they would have said so.
Yes, McDonough said at the presser that the argument began between Justin and Nancy. And, he referred to him as a friend.

About 16:25 in the video: Police: Kidnapping suspect, father, romantically involved

ETA: I agree - if it was his brother they would have said so. This is so strange! All week long he's been called a friend and now today, he's suddenly Nalani's uncle. :confused:

(This site is giving me fits!)

Last edited:
Yes, McDonough said at the presser that the argument began between Justin and Nancy. And, he referred to him as a friend.

About 16:25 in the video: Police: Kidnapping suspect, father, romantically involved

ETA: I agree - if it was his brother they would have said so. This is so strange! All week long he's been called a friend and now today, he's suddenly Nalani's uncle. :confused:

(This site is giving me fits!)
I'm getting so confused! I first heard of this case when msm reported a lyft/uber driver kidnapped a child when she dropped her passengers off. Then it was reported that LE updated to say the driver and Nalani's dad were in a relationship and Nancy took off with Nalani after getting into an argument with dad's friend.

Now it turns out the friend is an uncle but we don't know on whose side. And of the four online funding campaigns the one started by Nalani's father says an uber/lyft driver took Nalani. I'm not sure why he said that. Nancy clearly wasn't acting as a driver for them.

I guess msm just jumped a little too fast and didn't wait for all the info?

I'm getting so confused! I first heard of this case when msm reported a lyft/uber driver kidnapped a child when she dropped her passengers off. Then it was reported that LE updated to say the driver and Nalani's dad were in a relationship and Nancy took off with Nalani after getting into an argument with dad's friend.

Now it turns out the friend is an uncle but we don't know on whose side. And of the four online funding campaigns the one started by Nalani's father says an uber/lyft driver took Nalani. I'm not sure why he said that. Nancy clearly wasn't acting as a driver for them.

Maybe the friend is not a biological uncle? Growing up I had aunts and uncles that were not siblings of either of my parents but they were very long time close friends so we called them aunt and uncle. Could be something like that.

If you think you're confused now, whatever you do, do not join any of the Facebook pages. The folks are great in the two that I joined tonight, but the information they found- iyiyiyiyiyi. My head is spinning. So many questions........

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbieP
Back