GUILTY PA - Troy LaFerrara, 42, dies in Craigslist thrill killing, Sunbury, 11 Nov 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What I'd like to know is if this "Forrest" person is still alive, and if so, why? She should have started and ended with him. Seems to me she enjoys living on the edge. jmo
Miranda's mother says Forrest contacted her to inquire about the child's whereabouts. The Daily Item article also mentions that Miranda's father now has custody of Miranda's daughter, and names the state of his residence. I'm not sure what I believe about any of this yet, but that information should have been omitted, imo.

Dean said Forrest contacted her and said he wants to know whether the child is his. According to Dean, Forrest was 25 when he met Miranda, then 12. Miranda became pregnant at 17.
http://www.dailyitem.com/x1280779959/Lockup-to-Miranda-s-mom-You-can-t-visit

I get the feeling of a girl who has spent a LOT of years, despite her young age now, putting on a tough girl front. I think all this bragging about 22 people at least killed is a great over-exagerated. I am not sold on that being for purposes of an insanity plea although I am sure she is being heavily counselled by her attonry to do so. I think it is about being noticed. Finally. Feeling powerful. Finally. Feeling feared rather than afraid. FINALLY.

NC authorities skeptical of woman’s claim that she’s a serial killer
By Thomasi McDonald
tmcdonald@newsobserver.com February 17, 2014 Updated 2 hours ago

But they are still investigating the veracity of 19-year-old Miranda Kamille Barbour’s startling assertion, made public over the weekend, that she became a serial killer at the age of 13 at the behest of the leader of a satanist cult.
“The SBI has been in contact with Pennsylvania authorities about this case previously and we remain in contact with them to determine if there is any credible information related to any unsolved homicide in North Carolina,” spokeswoman Noelle Talley said
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/17/3631134/nc-authorities-skeptical-of-womans.html#storylink=cpy

Teen charged in Pa. murder tells newspaper she killed in Alaska
By MICHELLE THERIAULT BOOTS
mtheriault@adn.comFebruary 16, 2014 Updated 10 hours ago

Alaska State Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters said the department wouldn't be able to answer questions about Barbour until after the Presidents' Day holiday weekend.

A spokesman for the Anchorage bureau of the FBI did not immediately respond to phone messages Sunday.

Pennsylvania authorities appear to be taking the 19-year-old mother's words seriously.

Public records show Barbour filed for Alaska Permanent Fund dividends for years from North Pole and Anchorage addresses.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2014/02/16/3330041/former-alaskan-charged-in-east.html#storylink=cpy

In his interview with WNEP, Scarcella described Barbour as "very meek, very mild" with a "very low voice."

"She never hesitated once," he told the station. "She never gave the impression of it was a rehearsal."

Scarcella said he eventually asked if she had any remorse.
"And she said, 'None,'" Scarcella told WNEP.

But that's not what Scarcella said he found most surprising. That would be, he said, "the fact that she said that if she got out she would do it again.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/17/justice/craigslist-thrill-killing-confession/index.html?c=&page=0
Well, I believe most can see that this individual is at the VERY, VERY, VERY LEAST a dangerous individual, who has proven that she's fully capable of viciously killing a completely innocent stranger for no reason, or motivation, other than for the "thrill" of it.

For me, this alone, all by itself is plenty enough for those in the states attorney office to do EVERYTHING within their power to ENSURE not only a conviction, but one that carries a sentence that disallows for any chance whatsoever for this person to ever be released back into society..jmo.

That much I feel very certain of..

Regarding the above snipped quote, also very much drives home my point even more.. This individual is every single bit a psychopath with absolutely no feeling whatsoever for her fellow mankind(people who have NEVER done anything to her, people that are completely innocent, people who are absolutely and completely UNKNOWN to her).. The above quoted words of this individual I have zero problem at all believing them to be accurate and fully genuine.. She has no remorse, she feels nothing whatsoever about slaughtering a completely innocent stranger..and furthermore she flat out states that if ever given the chance at freedom again she'd not hesitate to slaughter any other human beings who have the severe misfortune of having crossed paths with her at a time, and point in which she's decided she'd like to once again feel that thrill, that high, from slaughtering an innocent person.

As far as her new claims of serial killer proportions..well, I'll just say that I am not near as convinced, or certain, about those as I am about the above mentioned.. I agree with those who've opined that this is quite likely attention seeking behavior, as well as I agree with the poster upthread that made mention of the all too obvious grin, and gloating as seen on the video clip..

ITA with tlcya regarding what's likely true, not true, and what are "possibly" true.. The one victim I do see as a likely possibility at this point in time(other than LaFerrera) is her baby's daddy that was killed(tho, I don't recall if we know anything other than just the fact that he is dead).. If its learned that he was murdered, well, I'd say there's a damn good chance that this individual is who is the responsible party..

But regarding her serial-killer-type number of victims.. I am just not at all certain, or convinced of.. Now, if we come to learn that she is in fact responsible for the dozens of murders that she claims, will I be shocked/surprised?

Absolutely not, as IMO, this I know for certain-->>This chick is every bit a psychopath, and is fully capable of viciously murdering innocent, complete strangers for no other reason than for $hits and giggles!

All jmo.

This what makes me think she's lying about the number...

She and her husband didn't go to great lengths to cover up their murder. In fact, they went back to watch because they wanted to bask in the attention from LE it was generating. They then told other people that this man had been murdered as a point of conversation just because they wanted so badly for it to be in the public conscience.

So this sloppy murder with the murderess practically screaming "notice me" happens and yet somehow prior to this she expertly killed/covered up less than 100 other murders without ever uttering a peep about it to anyone? She meticulously screened her victims to ensure they were "bad people"? I would bet the whole, "I told him I was 16 and he answered wrong" question could be completely made up. In my opinion she did it for the thrill and it occurred to her that she could make herself a sympathetic character by taking on the vigilante persona. No doubt she does harbor extreme hate for child molesters and men in general, but I truly think she just wanted to kill someone.

She's just a sick, twisted, death obsessed girl whose behavior is being reinforced by a media that is happy to hang on her every word, the more far-fetched and outrageous the better.

Of course she could be lying, but it says something to me that the FBI and local LE are taking this seriously. One article I read said they won't be able to comment until after the President's Day holiday weekend. So I'd expect to hear something more tomorrow or this week about if they think this is true/not true.

Just in case, here's a good list of Alaska missing. http://www.dps.state.ak.us/ast/abi/bulletin.aspx

Of course, the problem is that IF she is being at all truthful, some of her victims could have been found already - not listed as missing, but as unsolved homicides.

There are some serial killers who were definitely serial killers, but who some LE suspect have way overinflated their victim counts (Henry Lee Lucas for example). So she could have killed before this, but it could be far less than 22. We really won't know until we hear more from LE.

However, if her mother is to be believed the cult story wasn't just made up as a defense to this - she's had that involvement (or pretended to) for some time. She also experienced the kind of serious early childhood trauma that you would expect if her story really was true.

So I guess I'm on the fence. 22 seems like a lot, but I'm definitely open to the possibility of her having done this at least once before.

Or as unclaimed or unknown COD's long after the fact if remains were skeletal.

Or as unclaimed or unknown COD's long after the fact if remains were skeletal.

She could also be a little like Casey Anthony....Casey was an event planner at Universal with a nanny named Zanny who lived at the Sawgrass Apartments and a boyfriend named Jeff who had a little boy named Zach...we have certainly seen young women this age make very capable liars, haven't we? The difference of course is that Casey was trying to stay OUT of prison.

This what makes me think she's lying about the number...

She and her husband didn't go to great lengths to cover up their murder. In fact, they went back to watch because they wanted to bask in the attention from LE it was generating. They then told other people that this man had been murdered as a point of conversation just because they wanted so badly for it to be in the public conscience.

So this sloppy murder with the murderess practically screaming "notice me" happens and yet somehow prior to this she expertly killed/covered up less than 100 other murders without ever uttering a peep about it to anyone? She meticulously screened her victims to ensure they were "bad people"? I would bet the whole, "I told him I was 16 and he answered wrong" question could be completely made up. In my opinion she did it for the thrill and it occurred to her that she could make herself a sympathetic character by taking on the vigilante persona. No doubt she does harbor extreme hate for child molesters and men in general, but I truly think she just wanted to kill someone.

She's just a sick, twisted, death obsessed girl whose behavior is being reinforced by a media that is happy to hang on her every word, the more far-fetched and outrageous the better.
LE traced her to Le Ferrara's murder through his cell phone records because his last outgoing call was to her phone number. So no, she didn't mastermind 22 murders, imo. She might've been an accomplice in other murders, but we'll have to wait and see if she identifies those disposal sites she claims knowledge of.

Miranda Barbour was the first to be arrested when police traced LaFerrara's last call to her cell phone. She was charged last Wednesday in his death, followed by her husband on Friday.

Over the course of the deeply unsettling interview, Barbour claims that she is ready and able to cooperate with authorities to reveal where the bodies are buried. 'I can pinpoint on a map where you can find them,' she said.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-killer-admits-22-murders.html#ixzz2tdca49qC

Miranda's mother says Forrest contacted her to inquire about the child's whereabouts. The Daily Item article also mentions that Miranda's father now has custody of Miranda's daughter, and names the state of his residence. I'm not sure what I believe about any of this yet, but that information should have been omitted, imo.

Dean said Forrest contacted her and said he wants to know whether the child is his. According to Dean, Forrest was 25 when he met Miranda, then 12. Miranda became pregnant at 17.

Asto forest, meh. I am okay with him being mentioned first name only in the press. It is also stated he may or may NOT be the father of Miranda's child. Given her history of sexual abuse at the age of 4, and her running away and hoooking up with some guy she claims pimped her at 12, I tend to believe it. Victimology in that situation could produce a very sexually advanced acting out sort of child. If not noted early on and addressed appropriately, that could easily spin into a very street savvy yet damaged individual, a predator's dream.

As to her child and the child's current whereabouts or any mention of the child whatsoever in the press, I really wish none of that was present. I believe Mirdanda's mother should have kept her mouth shut on that subject. Miranda's mom strikes me as someone quick to explain why none of this is her fault and how her daughter is a human flawed individual who faced a lot in her young years. She seems anxious to get that info out there.

But bringing the little one into this. Wrong and wrong and wrong. I agree. That child has zero to do with this matter and should not be subject to any media mention period.

I've attempted to back in to a rough, partial timeline from statements in various news articles. I don't guarantee 100% accuracy because some statements are vague and haven't been verified. FWIW...

1994 -- Miranda ??? is born

2007 -- meets "Forrest" and becomes involved with "satanic cult"

2011 -- becomes pregnant; moves to Coats, NC, to live with an uncle

2013 -- In March, Elytte OD's on Ecstasy; subsequently develops personality changes.

2013 -- October 22, marries Elytte Barbour in North Carolina

2013 -- Oct , the couple moves to Penssylvania, staying with a friend in New Berlin.

2013 -- November 11, the couple murders LeFerrara after he answers a CL ad posted by the couple

http://nypost.com/2013/12/08/newlyweds-accused-in-killing-watched-cops-at-scene-pal-says/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560449/Newlywed-Craigslist-killer-admits-22-murders.html

Anything you "back" into, I would be fronting into without question probably. I trust your sleuthing way more so than my own even Bessie. Just me sayin. shrug.

Asto forest, meh. It is also stated he may or may NOT be the father of Miranda's child. Given her history of sexual abuse at the age of 4, and her running away and hoooking up with some guy she claims pimped her at 12, I tend to believe it.

I do not think Forrest was the father of her child. Previous media stories mentioned that the father of her child is dead. The police are re-examining his death as suspicious... Sorry I don't have the links, but they are linked in this thread's first couple pages..

I do not think Forrest was the father of her child. Previous media stories mentioned that the father of her child is dead. The police are re-examining his death as suspicious... Sorry I don't have the links, but they are linked in this thread's first couple pages..

Hmmm, interesting. moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not wasting much brain power on this one. My heart goes out to the family of this murder victim.
I'm pretty sure he's the only one.
I don't believe a single word she says, not to her mother, not to her roommate and not to law enforcement. She's disturbed for sure, I'm just not buying what she's selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to see Miranda as a not sure who is the father person so unless DNA esting was done, Shrug.

It is very sad with her. I think I can see some of what built her. And while I think I can see how it progressed, happened. I will never see it as a mitigator. As an excuse. That abuse excuse. Never been able to do it. Can't start now.

Suspect with NC ties in Craigslist killing claims 22 other slayings...
snipped

In an interview with The Daily Item in Sunbury, 19-year-old Miranda Barbour, who once lived in Dunn, N.C., said she wants to plead guilty to killing Troy LaFerrara in November.
snipped

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/15/3626563/pa-woman-admits-craigslist-killing.html#storylink=cpy

Dunn is not far from Fayetteville, NC...Missing soldier Kelli Bordeaux came to mind when I read that.

Alaska Group: Barbour Claims of Serial Killings Don’t Hold Up

A day after Miranda Barbour allegedly took credit for dozens of killings -- including unspecified crimes in Alaska -- a statewide support group for missing persons is not convinced by the woman’s story

(snipped)

Seeking Alaska’s Missing identified four unsolved homicides over that time period: Lorraine Nathaniel in Fairbanks and Brandon Wilson in Anchorage in 2008, and the Anchorage deaths of Eddie Yazzie and Steven Hardies in 2010.

Law enforcement agencies, including Alaska State Troopers and the Anchorage Police Department, could not immediately provide a response due to a three-day weekend – so a count of missing persons isn’t currently clear.

But Cartwright said a rough count of missing persons cases in Alaska over that three-year stretch -- as well as Barbour’s age at the time -- calls her claims into question.

“We're trying to figure out how it would be that she would overpower these people at 13 years old,” Cartwright said. “We're expecting her to at least offer up some sort of proof, to give names or locations.”

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/alaska-group-barbour-claims-of-serial-killings-dont-hold-up/24533794

Here's one of the quotes.

Police said even after arresting the couple, they were still reviewing other previous suspicious activity or events that might be related to the couple, including the death of the biological father of Miranda Barbour's 1-year-old child.
"We have unresolved issues and that is one unresolved issue," Sunbury Police Chief Stephen Mazzeo said of the unidentified man's death. "We are looking at liaising with other departments."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-accuse-newlyweds-thrill-kill-murder/story?id=21134460

But mom says the father isn't dead, but she also says his identity is unknown. So how does she know he's not dead? :dunno:
“He is not dead,” Dean said. “But we don’t know who the father is. It could be one of several people.”

A friend says Miranda probably doesn't know the identity of the father.
The former friend, who gave her name only as “Karen,” said she doubts Miranda even knew who knocked her up before she fled her overbearing family in their native Alaska to live with an aunt and uncle in Coats, N.C., where she met Elytte.
http://nypost.com/2013/12/08/newlyweds-accused-in-killing-watched-cops-at-scene-pal-says/

Shades of Casey Anthony :facepalm:

I too am skeptical of her stories. I read this little tidbit in one of the stories which made me take pause. Will she make up stories? Maybe, probably IMO

While in the satanic cult, Miranda allegedly became pregnant against the cult’s wishes so she was tied her to a bed, given drugs and the cult members performed an “in-house abortion.”

However, her mother on Saturday said that when Miranda told her about the abortion, she took her daughter to a doctor who said there were no signs of an ended pregnancy.

Time for her to offer up some proof.

On CNN she is now saying "under a hundred" in response when asked how many people she has killed. Whatever.

When she first claimed she only killed "bad" people, I assumed she meant child molestors, which would make a kind of sense, since she was molested. People who owed money, though? Good grief...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj
Back