Parents of third graders outraged at diversity tape

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
narlacat said:
For every kitty, there's a million people that think just like her, and that scares me.
That is a sad, sad truth, which is precisely why these videos need to be shown.

lol - right. But no judgment or intolerance. Because - GASP - what if those deviant homosexuals start performing unnatural acts in front of your children. :rolleyes:

then you'd be a child molester wouldn't ya?

Dalilah said:
Yes, it makes me really sad as well as scared.

Kitty5001 said:
So... Your opinions are actions.

When your actions cause me to react or respond then YES they are. Right now as it relates to this topic they are just opinions.
Just trying to reconcile this post with:

kitty5001 said:
What part of my beliefs would possibly be immoral-my opinions are not actions. Your actions are not opinions. there lies the difference.

Yes, it makes me really sad.

I know, having some moral values makes me want to cry too.

Kitty, I have a question. Do your kids go to public school? (Or did they?) I'm assuming you have at least one child.

Kitty5001 said:
Yes, it makes me really sad.

I know, having some moral values makes me want to cry too.
Please don't believe you have the market cornered on moral values.

Kitty5001 said:
lol - right. But no judgment or intolerance. Because - GASP - what if those deviant homosexuals start performing unnatural acts in front of your children. :rolleyes:

then you'd be a child molester wouldn't ya?
lol - I was referring to a homosexual couple showing affection to each other in front of your children (e.g holding hands). Not surprising that you would think I meant something different.

eve said:
The funny thing is, every time someone has made a revelation to me about their sexual preference, I already knew, and I felt so terrible that they even worried about my reaction! My one friend used to joke that I "couldn't be a Republican" (we always argued politics). (Kinda like kitty saying an atheist can't be a Republican). HUH?

My ex had a little trouble dealing with his brother coming out and how it would affect our kids and I just knew everything would be fine and it has been. He's the one I miss after the divorce (my bil), in fact.

I guess once you experience a good friend or family member being gay, all the stereotypes and worries go out the window.

Now if people would just stop assuming that I'm an anti-Gay intolerant redneck bigot because I am a Republican.

Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Eve
Eve - just to say - I would never assume such a thing.

I agree that labels we stick all over ourselves are sometimes the very thing that creates conflicts that don't even exist if we were to COMMUNICATE and LISTEN - LEARN from eachother instead of trying to be right or on the defense.

I suppose liberal is a good description of my general outlook of life (Democrat would not - it just happens that I often vote like one) - but I have many people close to me that are Republican and/or conservative that I highly respect and have learned a lot from.

I totally agree with you that it is a disservice to oneself as much as to the person you are speaking with to make such assumptions.

I'm glad you made that point! :clap:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a troll vibe from Ms. Kitty. It appears she's simply attempting to ruffle feathers with her inane, ignorant comments. She's simply not worth responding to, IMO.

Dalilah said:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a troll vibe from Ms. Kitty. It appears she's simply attempting to ruffle feathers with her inane, ignorant comments. She's simply not worth responding to, IMO.
You took the words right out of my mouth Dalilah.

eve said:
The funny thing is, every time someone has made a revelation to me about their sexual preference, I already knew, and I felt so terrible that they even worried about my reaction! My one friend used to joke that I "couldn't be a Republican" (we always argued politics). (Kinda like kitty saying an atheist can't be a Republican). HUH?

My ex had a little trouble dealing with his brother coming out and how it would affect our kids and I just knew everything would be fine and it has been. He's the one I miss after the divorce (my bil), in fact.

I guess once you experience a good friend or family member being gay, all the stereotypes and worries go out the window.

Now if people would just stop assuming that I'm an anti-Gay intolerant redneck bigot because I am a Republican.

Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Eve
As with any bigotry, the root cause is ignorance and fear, IMO. Once you put a face to it, you are no longer ignorant or fearful of it. You can realize that people are just that- people.

Dalilah said:
You may be right. Though she could be legit. There's a fine line between the two in a case like this. IMO.

Kitty5001 said:
So you would be ok with your son playing at Johnny's house, with Johnny's two dads there?

Nope- my son doesn't need to be exposed to that in order to he Johnny's friend. Johnny is welcome at my house though -anytime....

Exposed to what? Do you think gay men are so immoral that they're going to jump on each other in front of your son? Thinking like yours shows exactly why it's good to expose children to different types of relationships at a young age, before they're taught to be judgemental and intolerant.

How is Johnny going to feel when your child explains why he can't go to Johnny's house? What are you teaching your child when you refuse to allow him to go? Your son, and others like him, will be the ones in middle school who make Johnny's life miserable.

Linda7NJ said:
The way I see it, the school must do it because many of the parents don't. It has nothing to do with religion. If anything that was to be discussed was against your personal morals fine. Have something against homosexuals, good for you...don't be one. I am sick of people belittling other people for what they may do behind closed doors in their own houses. No one was explaining the intricacies of homosexual sex to these 3rd graders. They were simply explaining that families come in many forms. You and everyone else needs to respect that even if you don't share in the belief that it's ok.

I very recently had a disturbing interaction with a neighbor & mother of one of my son's friends. The boys were wrestling around while we were talking when her son called mine a "*advertiser censored*" my son returned the comment. I spoke up and said if you don't know what a word means you shouldn't use it. Knowing my son had absolutely no idea what it meant, I was comfortable with leaving it at that.
Then my neighbor, being the "good" Christian woman that she, is proceeded to tell them that's what you call those freaks. They will all burn in hell. Blah Blah Blah....I was shocked and stunned. I had to loudly interrupt her and inform her that not everyone was that hateful and small minded or shared her opinions. I cautioned her not to talk like that in front of my son. I don't care what she tells hers. That's her business. But at least her son should have the opportunity to hear a rational film explaining that yes it happens and they are no less because of it.
Due to her inappropriate comments in front of my son I was forced to have a conversation with him not only explaining that families come in different forms, but that some people simply can't handle that. They don't have respect for others who may be different than themselves. I also explained just how dangerous that way of thinking is.
I had to be sure and elaborate fully as our familiy also looks different. I wouldn't want him to EVER feel less because of it.
If children aren't being beaten, abused or neglected and are simply being loved by "unconventional" parents they have EVERY right to be proud of their family.

Bravo!!!! Excellent post!! IMO the film is not about how these parents choose to live but about how these children treat each other during school hours.

Kitty, I have a question. Do your kids go to public school? (Or did they?) I'm assuming you have at least one child.

I have 2 children both in public schools one is 8 and the other is 15- I would allow my 15 year old to 'go to johnny's house' because she is now mature enough to understand and form her own opinions. I would not allow my 8 year old because he is not mature or old enough to understand any of this. I never said that the gay couple is going to jump on each other at all. Of course I would not expect a heterosexual couple to do that in front of a child either. A troll vibe you may get but as you are entitled your opinion and raise your children the way you see fit I am as well.

Melisinde said:
Aww, Nova. I'm really sorry! I didn't mean it that way and I'm sorry I offended you. :( I guess basically what I meant was that if another person's choice does not directly affect me, I shouldn't worry about it. :)

Not to worry, Melisinde. Your posts are great here.

I knew what you meant, but some people go there so easily, I had to say something. :)

I completely agree with you, actually. Lots of people enjoy sexual practices that I find gross, or more often, silly. What's it to me?

As I've said here before, sex is like religion, everyone finds his own orientation reasonable, and everyone else's disgusting or crazy.

Kitty - please understand that I am open to dicussion and I'm not asking in a righteous manner - but I'd like to ask you a question about the "Johnny" example.

How do you feel about the fact that by not allowing your child to go to "Johnny's" - in the end aren't the kids the only ones paying the dues here? They are restricted in thier friendship because of adult choices. This sort of feels wrong to me in a sense? Do you see what I'm saying?

I can understand that you may take a stance like this toward homosexuals because of a dedication to your beliefs - even if I disagree - but why would Johny have to take the heat - and your son also because how could he understand why he can't ever go to his friends house -

Why can't your son go to Johnny's - and your faith in yourself and how effectively you parent your children about your morals and the words of "god" as you say be strong enough and secure enough to know that just being near a gay person wouldn't jeapordize your son's morals?

I've never understood this.

Also -

If you are against homosexuality simply because "God said it's wrong" well - how come you can take liberties with other "rules" such as not going to church etc...

Again - I'm just curious.

On the same page in the bible where it states that mankind shall not lie with mankind (words to that extent) it states that a parent of a child shall never bare their nakedness to that child - but if we interpret that literally then what about how a baby is exposed to a mother's nakedness when born - or while breastfeeding. The church decided that we couldn't take that as it seemed to be - but then - why not the passage that "seems" to refer to homosexulaity? How come that is taken as concrete?

Again - I'm asking here because I really strive to understand these views in order to escalate my own tolerance - so please take my posts as it is intended - a friendly one! :crazy:

Kitty5001 said:
Not really. I promise you I find your beliefs just as immoral as you find my actions.

But I don't feel a need to hide you from children, to pretend you don't exist.

What part of my beliefs would possibly be immoral-my opinions are not actions. Your actions are not opinions. there lies the difference.

Obviously, I understand the difference, Kitty. I was the first to make the distinction between opinions and actions. But if your opinions are not realized in actions - like posting here - then one may rightly question whether they have any meaning.

If you look in your Bible, I think you'll find Jesus held thoughts and deeds to be more or less morally equivalent. I might not go that far myself, but you're the one who holds religious authority in high esteem.

My point remains: I find your notions hateful, but I don't think you yourself are unmentionable. Big difference.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back