Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And Jodi's buddy bailiff needs to be replaced...

Why would the State do that? How would it benefit them? We can have a new jury who may sentence her to death. If not the Judge will decide what sort of 'life' to give her.

This jury has indicated that they are unable to reach a verdict as per the Judge. Very surprising considering how little time they've spent deliberating.

well, see ya at the new sentencing phase....probably over a year from now! because the DT will pull out every stop to interfere with that.

i don't want that. and what if THAT jury, who didn't even sit through her 18 days of bull**** and grow to hate her guts, does the same as this one?

it's possible that in order for a potential holdout to vote DP, they need to be talked into it. meaning, they are DP qualified in that they will do it, but maybe they could only do it automatically for something like mass murder. so they COULD give DP easily, but they need to ponder it in a situation where it inside a relationship, although that they found it easy to say she was guilty and that it was cruel.

One thing clear though, she ain't winning CRAP. She was found guilty of premeditated murder in the first degree and she will never walk out of prison.
It's the fact that she will be a grand dame in prison and HAVE a life that gets me. The creep will have won, again, gags me.

MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio 38m
Jury's question is what to do if they can not reach a verdict #JodiArias Judge is giving them further instruction

Ok wait....it looks to me like media is jumping the gun in interpretation...this tweet is from official court...

Appears to me that jury took first vote....vote is split....so they sent out question about what happens IF not unanimous....(interpretation: "If we are split 11 -1 can we quit deliberating?"

Judge sends them back if "helpful notes"....

My opinion....judge created this media misinterpretation with HER specific choice of wording when addressing the courtroom....

You're saying the judge may have misread what the jury asked?

I have to slip away for a while & take care of some mom things.

I'll be praying with those of you that pray.

Originally Posted by MeeBee View Post
They only asked the question. There's still hope that they can sway those one or two jurors. This is crazy, but not shocking. Deciding someone's fate is a tremendously heavy burden.

Not for Jodi, it wasn't. It came way to easy for her decide Travis's fate.

Even if she gets the DP she will live long past 30 yrs. old.

I'd like to see the DP verdict form on a silver platter delivered to her.:stormingmad:

MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio 38m
Jury's question is what to do if they can not reach a verdict #JodiArias Judge is giving them further instruction

Ok wait....it looks to me like media is jumping the gun in interpretation...this tweet is from official court...

Appears to me that jury took first vote....vote is split....so they sent out question about what happens IF not unanimous....(interpretation: "If we are split 11 -1 can we quit deliberating?"

Judge sends them back if "helpful notes"....

My opinion....judge created this media misinterpretation with HER specific choice of wording when addressing the courtroom....

ETA: Case in point.....HLN now reporting jury is "working lunch" because judge sent them back in to deliberate....but didn't BK report this morning that one juror showed up at courthouse with his "working lunch" in hands????

This is the appalling confusion. Is everyone just a hysterical chicken little and now the judge? If that is the real question, then the judge was WRONG and irresponsible in her editorialising.

That's what I understood the question to be....I wonder if the media lost something in translation....and wanted to create a :panic:
It's a small distinction between "what if" and "we can't", but one that makes a huge difference!
I saw the 'if' tweet as well, and double checked here: http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/MediaRelationsDepartment/BreakingNews/index.asp
courtpio
Jury's question is what to do if they can not reach a verdict #JodiArias Judge is giving them further instruction 41 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Why is this jury not allowed to give LWOP. I think that is the hang up for some they do not want to give that decision to the judge. They should be able to pick from all three of the sentences.

Do. Not. Lose. Faith.

I am convinced that this question (what if...) is nothing more than a long overdue expression of frustration from the jury. It's been five loooooooooong months and they've put up with shenanigans the likes of which would level other mortals.

It was only a question. The judge has given them the Allen Charge* (what another poster referred to as the "dynomite" charge) and that gives them a chance to inhale, pull up their socks and get back to work. This jury is going to come through for the Alexander family. They are.

*http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/allen_charge

But Madeleine, do YOU understand....if the jury is deadlocked this does NOT go to the judge. A new jury has to be empaneled for this phase. That is the law in Arizona. This will leave the family hanging forever and Jodi giving interviews for months.

or the state can remove the DP and the jury can decide on LWP or LWOP

WTF is up with that what ever he's called, deputy I guess, standing there laughing with the murderer?

I agree, this is totally out of control. Last night when CKJA was being interviewed there was this huge banner, name plate or sign - whatever it was in the background with the Sheriff's name on it.

Page all screwed up right now. Completely confused about this. If they can not come to a unanimous decision they will need a new jury? How will that all work? How can they find 12 new AZ citizens who have not heard any of this case or heard the murderer speak in her interviews? Not to mention if these new people were to be taken seriously they would have to hear all of the evidence in the courtroom. If that is how it is then this is beyond stupid. Hung jury should mean judge gets to decide what life sentence she gets.
BBM: That's just what she was banking on, doncha think? Once again JA's getting her way.

With all due respect to our AZ citizens, this whole penalty procedure is just catty-wonkers to me.

This is very black & white thinking. They voted only that the state had proven that death should be a consideration or the sentence would have been given there & then. This jury are taking their job seriously, they could believe that it was a cruel & heinous crime, but that it's more deserving of life without parole. It's a little early to be calling the jurors liars, we are not witness to their deliberations.

i think it is very difficult for jurors to put young attractive women to death or even young not so attractive women to death. if she were a he, i believe we would already have the DP

I think they're all worried about whether or not if they give her life she can be free in a few yrs. That's the trouble here, it's up to the judge once they give her life. The judge can do anything she sees fit at sentencing.
This also means that we and the family will always have to listen to her from behind bars as she rules the prison for the next half century.
She will always gloat that the jury caved. + She will likely remain in the cushy jail for ever how much longer, doing interviews.

The Alexander family will never be rid of her if she gets life. She'll continue to gloat, hold interviews and defame TA reputation. I hope they reach a DP verdict if not I hope for a hung jury.

** I think there are 3 hold outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member