Penalty Phase - Verdict Watch #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they had to become DP qualified.

Sorry, my 'Thanks' button isn't working - so thanks!

Well, now I feel a lot better. Hey, the work week is half over, I got dinner in the oven, the kid is finishing up her last project of her high school life, husband is home flipping channels. It's not much, but it's good, and it's way more than CMJA will ever ever have.

I never thought that inmates had such pretty socks....they must have reminded her of her strawberry frappacino?? Yes, that must be it!
Why haven't I ever had one of those pink frothy yummy thangs? Dang it!

BUMPITY BUMPITY BUMP! What the heck is wrong with her feet?

I believe they meant they had not yet started deliberating THIS MORNING. I think the judge wanted to add that instruction and they were told to hold off deliberating this am until the judge was able to do that.

I must be losing my mind, last evening I thought they only were in Jury room for about 1 1/2 hrs, then no deliberations until about noon today, then lunch right after.

Only thing IMO they could have done was take a vote.

Just doesn't make sense.

I know the Alexander family was upset so something did happen, but man I wouldn't expect them to be hung so soon.

Oh well, we will find out. Not going to worry about it for awhile.

I have a brother in law in California , not quite that old but in his 50's...same thing as yours except mine gets disability $$$ for being a drunk.

I almost wish he WAS a drunk. At least that would explain it. I guess he's got some weird mental problems, I just have no idea what they are. It's just so hard to listen to someone express his nutty opinions at great length when he hasn't done a damn thing with his life but listen to NPR (no offense to people who do -- it's just not a life's work).

they didn't ask IF. they didnt ask anything. they made a statement. they said they were not able to reach a unanimous verdict. then JSS gave them a pep talk on how to reach a unanimous decision.

That is what I thought but I was at work and trying to get out of there for a long overdue weekend. I thought maybe I misunderstood because I was doing 20 things at once.

It's true! I do have a brother-in-law visiting! I'll see him on June 1st. Of course, that doesn't account for my liquor bill since January 2nd, I admit.
I feel your pain! I have a father in law visiting in July. UGH. At least my Dr knows how stressful he is to have around and lets me medicate.

Just watching HLN with DH and had to turn JVM off! She is screaming about the Jury being hung? HUH??? They did not say they were hung?
Unbelievable. Give them time and as KCL says EXHALE!

I have made a huge decision ...based on #3 of your list--i think we need to get married.:floorlaugh:
(I also 100% agree with everything else you said BTW)

Here's how I'm comforting myself:

1). The jury is still deliberating hours after that note, so they are not giving up

2). IF the jury gives her life, the judge will give her LWOP, no way she'll ever get out.

3.). Cocoa Krispies, bacon, and toast with grape jelly for dinner

4). I have total faith in the jury. Even if they give her life, I think she will have a real hard time in prison given her arrogance. I personally think she'll get cut down to size pretty quickly. Her arrogance and big mouth will get her in trouble. Unfortunately, there will be weaker prisoners that she will torture too.

If the jury gives her life, I'm going to be very sad for the Alexanders, but I will still respect their decision.

Still hoping for DP....

I used to totally panic at the checkpoint coming out of Mexico into Texas every single time! The Border Patrol ask you if you're an American citizen, etc. I would always feel like I was hiding something!:floorlaugh:

Me too! Years ago I lived in El Paso and we had to pass through the Sierra Blanca,TX station when we went out of town. We did not even have to leave TX! The agent would ask if I was a US citizen and then ask me about fruit and vegetables. He would look me straight in the eye when he asked me. I felt like I was hiding something and maybe I looked guilty when I was not and because I looked so guilty, he might think I was actually hiding something. The only thing we had to remember was to put our gun up on the dashboard so they could see it. I wonder If they still require that? Probably would freak them out now.

In Canada we don't have the option of a death penalty...
When I used to debate I always took the anti DP stance...
Always...
Then I was a victim of a horrible crime...and there was no remorse from the killers....
None...zero....

Like Jodi...

When I used to be anti DP I was not intimate with the gut wrenching pain/ the shattered lives and total loss of innocence and care freeness that those who have experienced a brutal awful theft of a cherished and innocent loved ones life feel....

The numbing reality of a sweet, dear one taken away forever by the selfish, evil acts of those that do not care...
Certain people cannot be rehabilitated- ever...
...certain people should not be shown any mercy.....ever....
Jodi is one of these...she is evil personified....
A small space and little interaction on death row is even too much...

I know I use humour often and I love and cherish all of you who understand...life does go on...I don't want the killers to win by making me forever bitter...
Our girl will be forever 20...Travis will be forever 30...they both died in 2008...

Jodi has already had 5 more years...
Jodi doesn't deserve another day....
She just doesn't....
And if she does have another day I pray that it will be a lonely, desolate cell on Death Row...
This is how and why I feel...
Come on Jury....

Thank you for sharing that with us. Prayers and hugs to you. I wish the jury could read your words - right this very moment. Take care basilcat.

This is why I will not own an "adult toy"--my monsters will find it & present it to my MIL during a visit, I'm sure. They have previously taken a box of tampons to throw all over the floor to play with, and taken a pair of my hubby's underwear & thrown them by the front door. His coworker came to the door & my DH's underwear was right there in plain sight. (That one WAS funny, though!)

Don't even ask what my dog ate and threw up in front of my kids! :blushing:

They weren't mad at the dog, but they thought mom and dad were disgusting!

Watcha think, folks? Is the jury gonna sleep on it? I'm kinda going in that direction......

That's what they did in the guilt phase so yes, I think so .. tomorrow morning 11am verdict (I hope) ..

the normal reasons for "unable" are illness type things where the person is truly unable, through no fault of their own, to participate any longer. When the reasons are related to the actual deliberations it's not as simple. You'd probably need to read some case law in AZ to find out how it works in practice but this addresses how it is overall in the US.

In jurisdictions that permit post-submission substitution, some bases for substitution are relatively non-controversial, like death or illness of a juror, or other serious personal hardship. But other bases for substitution raise serious issues about the sanctity of the deliberative process, primarily allegations by some jurors that another juror is unwilling or unable to meaningfully deliberate, or is unwilling to follow the law. Such an allegation requires a hearing where the judge must decide the tricky question whether the juror is truly unfit to serve, or is merely expressing an alternative viewpoint that will likely result in a hung jury. Only if the judge concludes that the challenged juror is truly unfit to serve, will the judge be authorized to dismiss that juror and substitute an alternate juror.
http://www.ajs.org/judicial-adminis...ew/jury-decision-making/use-alternate-jurors/

I have to imagine replacing a DP juror on a jury which thereafter ends up with a DP decision will result in an appeal. Course, there will be appeals no matter what so I wouldn't let that stop me. Course, we may not even be close to that and the jury may end up united with the rest of us.

If someone on that jury is anti-DP, they should be disqualified and replaced.

18.5.i Deliberations in a Capital Case:

In the event a deliberating juror is excused during either the aggravation or penalty phases due to inability or disqualification to perform required duties, the court may substitute an alternate juror, choosing from among the alternates in the order previously designated, unless disqualified, to join in the deliberations. In the event that an alternate or alternates are substituted during the aggravation or penalty deliberations, the jurors shall only begin anew for the phase of the sentencing that they are currently deliberating. The jurors shall not deliberate anew about a verdict already reached and entered.

Not that anyone asked or cares, but I thought I would share my mind set: I refuse to watch any new interviews given by Jodi. I'm disgusted that a convicted murderer is allowed to play celebrity from behind jail bars. With every interview that that thing is allowed to give, she victimizes Travis and his family over and over and over again, and THAT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG.

I'm spitting mad, right now... sorry.

I didn't watch them last night for the same reason. I'm sick of her 5 bangs, lack of cold sore cream and her idea that she's going to have her way all the way.

I'm also sick of the media glamorizing and romanticizing her. All of this admiration for her being so calm and composed and unflappable is annoying.

Duh. She's a black hole.

P.S. Re: The THs carrying on and on about the impossibility of finding 12 impartial jurors. I know 5 people who aren't sure who she is. And there are 2 people in my office who have absolutely no clue who JA is, they've never heard of this case and showed no interest in it whatsoever. So just because we're in deep doesn't mean the rest of the world cares. lol

Notice since Steven told the jury he walks up screaming or his wife wakes him up from nightmares....suddenly, Jodi has the same symptoms we are just now hearing when a reporter asks her! Mimicking, mirroring.

Just saw this on FB from The State Vs JA & it made me feel better:

The State vs Jodi Arias ~ Travis Alexander murder trial
A message from a member of this page. I've copied it out verbatim but have left out the poster's name. If you wish to come forward, please do so in the comments:

"I have unfortunately been in prison where she will go, and TRUST ME!!! She will NOT be the Predator..she WILL be the Prey!!! Prison is WAAAY different than that safe little jail she is in now!!! She's in for a rude awakening!!! And what she said about starting programs and clubs and helping the "illiterate" inmates..NEVER going to happen!!! She's going to be in COMPLETE isolation for AT LEAST five years, and after she manages to "program down" to a lower classification....she still needs to realize that's she's now an INMATE!! The State runs every aspect of your life, so NO she won't be contributing ANYTHING to society!! The closest she'll get is a 50 cent an hour job as a GED tutor..but that will take her YEARS and YEARS to get that "privilege". And her smug, superior attitude she has, all that's going to get her is beaten up and robbed!! So, it would be in her best interest to just SHUT UP FOR ONCE IN HER LIFE and get OK with the fact that as soon as that gate closes behind her at the "Perryville Complex" sign, nobody cares that she's Jodi Arias...for the rest of her disgusting life, all anyone will know about her is her INMATE NUMBER!!!"
Thank you. Those words do help. Something else to consider: The public is fickle and will dump her when this trial is over to move on to the next disaster.

Does JVM startle any of you when she comes on? My lord, things are just cruising along until 4pm hits GOOD AFTERNOON JANE VALEZ-MITCHELL HERE!!! :eek:

Maybe I am just on edge? I haven't eaten yummy food or consumed any delicious alcoholic beverages like you lovely people. I am not vaping on birthday cake either...feel totally left out! I tried to eat today but I walked in, remembered I finished the Ice Cream last night and walked back out. I can't possible eat nutritious right now, I refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties