Petition for release of info and FOIL info

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Something? They are either sending you a bomb or a hitman. LOL

lol I thought it was strange to say "something", too. Oh well! "Something" never came today. It's driving me nuts, though, because I've basically given them an exception by sending those additional papers they requested even though I didn't HAVE to. The *least* they could do is get back to me ASAP.

Here's something....since the house was listed as a "short sale" it has not gone down in price to quickly sell it. You would think he'd want people buying it...and its VERY over priced at this point.

Attachments

• sg oak beach 3.jpg
    sg oak beach 3.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 18
I finally received my answer to my FOIL appeal from the county attorney's office. Again, I was denied. (No surprise there.)

Next step is an Article 78 proceeding in the Supreme Court.

Attachments

• Image-1730655956.jpg
    Image-1730655956.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Image-2046459636.jpg
    Image-2046459636.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 6
You know, in the Casey Anthony case, two Websleuthers requested the contents of Casey's computer that was confiscated from the house under the FOIA. The one was is a lawyer got the file and sent it to another WS member who is an engineer and within 2 hours, he found the "smoking gun" of someone having logged into the computer under Casey's password protected account and did a search on "foul-proof suffocation" that had been sitting there for 3 years before the trial and the prosecution never found it. They went to trial without it, even though the defense knew of it's existance. And the information pretty much now takes care of any doubt that CA was 100% responsible for her daughter's death. The outcome may have been different had the jury heard this info.

Of course, that trial is over, so those records were made public, but what I'm saying is, keep trying Mystery Mom, you never know what might happen. Good luck.

You know, in the Casey Anthony case, two Websleuthers requested the contents of Casey's computer that was confiscated from the house under the FOIA. The one was is a lawyer got the file and sent it to another WS member who is an engineer and within 2 hours, he found the "smoking gun" of someone having logged into the computer under Casey's password protected account and did a search on "foul-proof suffocation" that had been sitting there for 3 years before the trial and the prosecution never found it. They went to trial without it, even though the defense knew of it's existance. And the information pretty much now takes care of any doubt that CA was 100% responsible for her daughter's death. The outcome may have been different had the jury heard this info.

Of course, that trial is over, so those records were made public, but what I'm saying is, keep trying Mystery Mom, you never know what might happen. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it! I followed that case closely living just a short distance from where it all happened, and have been reading the WS threads about the CA case. I'm bringing this to the Supreme Court and have the law on my side. I'll keep pursuing this. I'm persistent. ;)

The recent news of the CA case got me all riled up... such miscarriage of justice. I don't want to see the same in this case.

Here's something....since the house was listed as a "short sale" it has not gone down in price to quickly sell it. You would think he'd want people buying it...and its VERY over priced at this point.

JFI...

Current market value OVER $520K.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 10
I finally received my answer to my FOIL appeal from the county attorney's office. Again, I was denied. (No surprise there.)

Next step is an Article 78 proceeding in the Supreme Court.

Dennis Cohen & his staff are Good People. @TEOTD, they always do the right thing and act with the utmost integrity. Your request for an appeal has been denied because the law is not on your side. Despite all of the trashing of SC here on these boards, the majority of the county employees ARE NOT corrupt nor are they part of some big giant government conspiracy.

If there was any way to legally grant your FOIL requests, Dennis Cohen would have made that happen for you. He is a really nice guy who would not hesitate to help you if he legally could. He is not some evil monster and also despite what you think, he is more familiar with the regulations than 90% of the attorneys in this Country. Your appeal to the Supreme Court is basically a statement that either

1) you think that Dennis is making a mistake and not interpreting the law correctly.

OR

2) you think that Dennis is part of some sort of conspiracy to hide the truth.

OR

3) you think that Dennis is being resistant for some other reason.

No matter what you think, the Supreme Court will set the record straight by doing the exact same thing Dennis did with your appeal to his office.

AMBW to you on this endeavor.

Your intentions are good. As Dennis pointed out, you just don't have the law on your side.

Dennis Cohen & his staff are Good People. @TEOTD, they always do the right thing and act with the utmost integrity. Your request for an appeal has been denied because the law is not on your side. Despite all of the trashing of SC here on these boards, the majority of the county employees ARE NOT corrupt nor are they part of some big giant government conspiracy.

If there was any way to legally grant your FOIL requests, Dennis Cohen would have made that happen for you. He is a really nice guy who would not hesitate to help you if he legally could. He is not some evil monster and also despite what you think, he is more familiar with the regulations than 90% of the attorneys in this Country. Your appeal to the Supreme Court is basically a statement that either

1) you think that Dennis is making a mistake and not interpreting the law correctly.

OR

2) you think that Dennis is part of some sort of conspiracy to hide the truth.

OR

3) you think that Dennis is being resistant for some other reason.

No matter what you think, the Supreme Court will set the record straight by doing the exact same thing Dennis did with your appeal to his office.

AMBW to you on this endeavor.

Your intentions are good. As Dennis pointed out, you just don't have the law on your side.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I've ever stated anything personally against Dennis Cohen or his staff. It was actually Mr. Gatto who I was in contact with and who is the author (or at least his staff) of my denial.

My appeal to the Supreme Court is based on the law. If you notice the highlighted portion of the case law I cited in my appeal, it clearly states that it is the COUNTY'S duty to give a complete explanation of WHY, and not just state the County Law back verbatim as a blanket denial. That wasn't done. If they have to go through each piece of a report and redact information based on the Privacy LAWS, then that is acceptable. They can't just say, "It's part of an active investigation," without stating what laws a release would violate and why. The burden of proof lies on the "Agency" (in this case, the County) that a release would somehow hinder the ongoing investigation.

There are no POI's in this case, in fact, the public assertion by the SCPD is that SG was not murdered. If that is the case, there should be absolutely no problem (other than redacting personal identifying information of witnesses) with a release of the requested information.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I've ever stated anything personally against Dennis Cohen or his staff. It was actually Mr. Gatto who I was in contact with and who is the author (or at least his staff) of my denial.

My appeal to the Supreme Court is based on the law. If you notice the highlighted portion of the case law I cited in my appeal, it clearly states that it is the COUNTY'S duty to give a complete explanation of WHY, and not just state the County Law back verbatim as a blanket denial. That wasn't done. If they have to go through each piece of a report and redact information based on the Privacy LAWS, then that is acceptable. They can't just say, "It's part of an active investigation," without stating what laws a release would violate and why. The burden of proof lies on the "Agency" (in this case, the County) that a release would somehow hinder the ongoing investigation.

There are no POI's in this case, in fact, the public assertion by the SCPD is that SG was not murdered. If that is the case, there should be absolutely no problem (other than redacting personal identifying information of witnesses) with a release of the requested information.

Dennis Cohen IS the County attorney. Mr. Gatto is on Dennis' staff. Any letters written to you by Mr. Gatto were absolutely reviewed and signed-off by Dennis. Both men are dedicating their lives to being public servants. These are good people. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think either man is corrupt or part of a master plot to cover up a murder.

Excuse me if I sound arrogant when it comes to FOIL requests. For over six years I taught a course on the subject. If I sound like a self-proclaimed expert on the topic, it's because I have been told by countless individuals that I am.

Once again, your intentions are good. It's your legal arguments and the path you have chosen to pursue them that are flawed. Your requests were rightfully denied. Your argument for an appeal is even weaker than your initial request. If I am understanding this correctly, there are two parts to your request; the 911 recording and the records pertaining to the investigation of SG's possible causes of death.

The denial of your request for the 911 recording is obvious. After reading this thread I see that others attempted to point out to you that E911 recordings are exempt from FOIL requests. They were correct. The law is very specific. There is no wiggle room here for Dennis' office to bend the rules and release the 911 recording to you. Never will happen under a FOIL request. I can get into the specific details if you request. All I am saying is that it will be a complete waste of your time. Supreme Court will let you know this too.

The second part of your appeal is based upon the argument that the County broke the law by not giving you specific details as to why you were denied specific items in your request. The problem here is that you actually did not request anything specific other than the 911 recording. Your request was a 'blanket request' for, well, basically every shred of evidence/document the county has on file regarding SG's ongoing investigation. So, to no surprise, you received a 'blanket denial'. Until the LISK is caught, there is no court in the Country that would not deny the fact that this is an ongoing investigation. Had you asked for a specific item (for instance, a copy of the transcripts of the interview with MP) the denial letter would have been more specific and stated how the transcripts of those interviews are part of the ongoing investigation. They can only supply you with a denial letter for what you requested. I can get into this further if you don't see the point.

On another note, the method in which you are going about your escalation of the requests/appeals is highly insulting to the public servants you are dealing with. The right thing to have done once you received that denial letter from the FOIL desk officer was to request to speak with his supervisor for a better clarification. You could have held the threat of an appeal over their heads as incentive for them to speak with you further. Instead, you chose to go over their heads and immediately filed an appeal with Dennis Cohen's office. Now, you received a denial letter from Mr. Gatto. What you should be doing now is requesting to speak with Dennis about the reasons behind your denial. You can hold the threat of an appeal to the Supreme Court over his head. If you instead go straight to the Supreme Court, you are once again insulting public servants. This is not how things get done in business or in government. It's never nice to go over anyone's head without speaking to them and giving a second or even third chance. On the playground, that's being a tattle-tale. That's being confrontational as well as showing a lack of tolerance on your part. Like I said, these are good people. Treat them well and they will open doors for you (sometimes even throw you a bone once in a while). I've had more than one instance where I (or someone I knew) was permitted to "glance" at a document that could not be released via a FOIL request. That is what happens when you play nice. Being a hard-stoned-file-every-possible-appeal-immediately kind of a player doesn't make friends with the people you want to cooperate with you. It's more like being a bully.

PS149 If I sound like a self proclaimed expert on the subject its because I have been told that I am. Excuse me if I SOUND arrogant. Dont under estimate youself.

Dennis Cohen IS the County attorney. Mr. Gatto is on Dennis' staff. Any letters written to you by Mr. Gatto were absolutely reviewed and signed-off by Dennis. Both men are dedicating their lives to being public servants. These are good people. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think either man is corrupt or part of a master plot to cover up a murder.

Excuse me if I sound arrogant when it comes to FOIL requests. For over six years I taught a course on the subject. If I sound like a self-proclaimed expert on the topic, it's because I have been told by countless individuals that I am.

Once again, your intentions are good. It's your legal arguments and the path you have chosen to pursue them that are flawed. Your requests were rightfully denied. Your argument for an appeal is even weaker than your initial request. If I am understanding this correctly, there are two parts to your request; the 911 recording and the records pertaining to the investigation of SG's possible causes of death.

The denial of your request for the 911 recording is obvious. After reading this thread I see that others attempted to point out to you that E911 recordings are exempt from FOIL requests. They were correct. The law is very specific. There is no wiggle room here for Dennis' office to bend the rules and release the 911 recording to you. Never will happen under a FOIL request. I can get into the specific details if you request. All I am saying is that it will be a complete waste of your time. Supreme Court will let you know this too.

The second part of your appeal is based upon the argument that the County broke the law by not giving you specific details as to why you were denied specific items in your request. The problem here is that you actually did not request anything specific other than the 911 recording. Your request was a 'blanket request' for, well, basically every shred of evidence/document the county has on file regarding SG's ongoing investigation. So, to no surprise, you received a 'blanket denial'. Until the LISK is caught, there is no court in the Country that would not deny the fact that this is an ongoing investigation. Had you asked for a specific item (for instance, a copy of the transcripts of the interview with MP) the denial letter would have been more specific and stated how the transcripts of those interviews are part of the ongoing investigation. They can only supply you with a denial letter for what you requested. I can get into this further if you don't see the point.

On another note, the method in which you are going about your escalation of the requests/appeals is highly insulting to the public servants you are dealing with. The right thing to have done once you received that denial letter from the FOIL desk officer was to request to speak with his supervisor for a better clarification. You could have held the threat of an appeal over their heads as incentive for them to speak with you further. Instead, you chose to go over their heads and immediately filed an appeal with Dennis Cohen's office. Now, you received a denial letter from Mr. Gatto. What you should be doing now is requesting to speak with Dennis about the reasons behind your denial. You can hold the threat of an appeal to the Supreme Court over his head. If you instead go straight to the Supreme Court, you are once again insulting public servants. This is not how things get done in business or in government. It's never nice to go over anyone's head without speaking to them and giving a second or even third chance. On the playground, that's being a tattle-tale. That's being confrontational as well as showing a lack of tolerance on your part. Like I said, these are good people. Treat them well and they will open doors for you (sometimes even throw you a bone once in a while). I've had more than one instance where I (or someone I knew) was permitted to "glance" at a document that could not be released via a FOIL request. That is what happens when you play nice. Being a hard-stoned-file-every-possible-appeal-immediately kind of a player doesn't make friends with the people you want to cooperate with you. It's more like being a bully.

hahaha--looks like u kicked someone's rice bowl and touched a nerve, MM7---don't ever recall you saying either was corrupt, "or part of a master plot to cover up a murder", just that you were trying to get info--and the ..."highly insulting to public servants"(twice), that was funny, too

"You can hold the threat of an appeal..." That sounds more like being a bully than going through the appropriate legal steps that I've taken. That's exactly the process. I didn't send a "blanket" request. In my appeals, it was a "blanket" request, but not in my initial FOIL request with the SCPD, which I then sent along with the denial from SCPD to Mr. Gatto. There are rules here on WS, and I didn't state full names in my posts. I can't recall if I even posted the actual request here or not (I will go back to the beginning of this thread for reference).

While I didn't teach a class on the subject, I did spend quite a bit of time researching the laws and reading multiple cases which were in favor of the Petitioner, as well as cases which were in favor of the Respondent. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't wasting my time before delving as deep as I have in this.

I've cited MULTIPLE cases on here that 911 calls/transcripts were released (IN NY), as well as cases which dealt with the "blanket denial" aspect for records in an ongoing investigation. If you have not already done so, read through the scores of documents from COOG opinion letters on the FOIL requests regarding 911 calls and reports involved in an ongoing criminal investigation. COOG has a different opinion when it comes to "wiggle room" regarding 911 calls.

May I ask how long ago you taught this class? The case I cited that the County Attorney cited back was a decision from this year in the Supreme Court. Please take some time to read through it if you haven't already. It would also be prudent of you to go to the beginning of this thread where it all started.

hahaha--looks like u kicked someone's rice bowl and touched a nerve, MM7---don't ever recall you saying either was corrupt, "or part of a master plot to cover up a murder", just that you were trying to get info--and the ..."highly insulting to public servants"(twice), that was funny, too

It's becoming apparent to me that this poster is only here to stir up drama and get a rise out of me, specifically. A new user comments on a thread I started with accusations that I have been disrespectful, insulting, dishonest, and defamatory (definition included: used of statements harmful and often untrue; tending to discredit or malign). Not just in this discussion, but again accuses me of being dishonest in another thread.

It comes as no surprise to me since some other (yes, plural) WS'ers have been calling me a liar on the board, in private, and in other forums unrelated to WS for the past week. It is most interesting that this poster as well as a couple (few?) others have been doing exactly what they accuse me of.

It's becoming apparent to me that this poster is only here to stir up drama and get a rise out of me, specifically.

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself. Maybe everything isn't all about you, though - maybe he's just a new member who doesn't agree with you.

You have a pretty high opinion of yourself. Maybe it's not all about you, though - maybe he's just a new member who doesn't agree with you.

I do have a high opinion of myself. I'm a very respectable person and to be called anything but without knowing me is highly insulting and defamatory (please see the definition). The way I see it, if I've given the people on this board reason to question my integrity, I'd like to know how so I could remedy the situation so I don't make the same mistake in the future.

I find it equally offensive that you would just assume that because someone has a differing opinion than myself that I would selfishly try to discredit this new member.

I'm sure you can see that I've NEVER personally attacked a person on here for having a difference of opinion. (Except for my comment about "what rock do you live under" to this new member.) I don't personally attack ANYONE on this board because I can INTELLIGENTLY debate a subject without resorting to personal attacks.

See, the problem is that that things you say often make little or no sense. Like this, for instance:

I find it equally offensive that you would just assume that because someone has a differing opinion than myself that I would selfishly try to discredit this new member.

You do discredit the new member, by saying he or she is just here to stir stuff up. And you amplify that by saying that it's "apparent" to you that he's here specifically to disagree with you. So, yes, by definition you are "selfishly trying to discredit the new member". I'm not "assuming" anything, I'm just reading the words you wrote; if you find the truth offensive, that's a problem you should learn to deal with.

I'm a very respectable person and to be called anything but without knowing me is highly insulting and defamatory (please see the definition).
See the definition of what? Defamatory? Like I don't know that word? OK, I'll pull your trick, then - I'm highly offended that you'd assume that I don't know that nickel-and-dime word. Haha. But I'm glad you do know the word. So, anyway, who said you're not "respectable"? Me? When I said that you have a high opinion of yourself? Is that calling you "not respectable"? I don't think so. Did the new member say you weren't respectable when he blew (more) holes in your theories about how FOIL works? I don't think so. Again, not making sense.

I'm sure you can see that I've NEVER personally attacked a person on here for having a difference of opinion.
No, you just say things that have no meaning, get offended without cause, take stances about legal issues that are completely bass ackwards and then insist you're right when it's pointed out your wrong, etc. So, you're good, no personal attacks, yay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back