GUILTY (PLED) CT - Jeffrey, 56, & Jeanette Navin, 55, Easton, 4 Aug 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That is really something! That court document is OMG thank you for posting that .
Was he the clergy -who they said was the sick tenant ?? Or another tenant ? And still didn't pay on the mtg?
They held the thing whole over a clergy member? How underhanded and mean / talk about aggressive!
Holy moly!
And! Cl&p keeping the lights on?

It is all hard to fathom. Did they get that extra mtg to fix and sell the Weston house? And that didn't sell?
If not for
Kn August 5 activities though. Gun range and Home Depot before it closed. SMH I d say they did plan their own disappearance.
Maybe Kn was in on it.
It is all so positively sketchy sketchy.

I can see is what someone said was kn having a prescription addiction from back injury that possibly progressed exactly as you said. Ty for explanation too. Nods aggression. I don't know that much about those opiate addictions.
I was also thinking that was an ongoing pain med drug addiction was probably excuse to his family and work - ( as someone also suggested) and also that week and to law enforcement after as well. As an alibi attempt." I have a broken back"
We might be able to find out if that was an old old injury. People do get around with old broken back injuries.

Sorry so long. Thanks for all the info about the guilford house. Etc

It's very confusing, but what I gather is this: At some point, a religious organization (they do not specify if it was he Catholic Church) owned the Guilford property. That's how the priest became associated with it. There is a family that has, I guess, lived there for many years. The head of that household is supposedly the caretaker. I guess it is a member of the caretaker's family that has a life threatening illness. It is not clear if the caretaker lived there when the religious organization owned it; it doesn't seem so. The priest moved out of state in 1998 and hadn't had anything to do with the property since 1996

A number of years ago (over ten) CP&P came to a settlement with Navin and the priest. Under the agreement, the priest would pay $27,000 and going forward, would not have his name on the bill. Navin would pay $20,000 and the bill would be put in his name. Then, someone handwrote on the bottom of the agreement that the priest and Navin would be jointly and severally liable for the bill. Now one of the points of contention is that the Priest says that they came to an agreement years ago, and the power company is saying, "no, it says you'll be liable too."

There are many other suits under the appeals and superior court part of the site that are extremely complex and involve Navin and others and many many mortgages for investment properties in the Saybrook area, going back to the 1980s. Navin sure found himself in some extremely complicated situations. I could take three weeks just going through everything, but the name of the caretaker in the Guilford house is the same person who went in with him on the investment in Saybrook (I think, it's a fairly common name, but what are the chances?).

Here's a case brought by the disabled individual and his father against CP&P alleging that CP&P attempted to compell them to move through harassment and intimidation: https://ecf.ctd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2006cv2008-85.

Navin asked if there was any chance they could move out because, "the situation is killing me." I guess if you have a tenant who is unable to pay rent and utilities, and the place where they live is worth $2 million and the electric bill is over a thousand a month plus interest, it's pretty easy to get into financial trouble.

Price History of the Guilford House. It's interesting.

Price History

DATE EVENT PRICE $/SQFT SOURCE
01/08/15 Listing removed $1,750,000 $211 Settlers & Tra...
12/05/14 Listed for sale $1,750,000-37.5% $211 Settlers & Tra...
03/01/08 Listing removed $2,800,000 $338 NCI
01/31/08 Listed for sale $2,800,000-26.7% $338 NCI
10/12/05 Sold $3,820,000+173% $462 Public Record
02/04/03 Sold $1,400,000+5,205% $169 Public Record
02/10/98 Sold $26,390 -97.1% $3 Public Record
11/04/94 Sold $900,000 $108 Public Record

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7-Hart-Rd-Guilford-CT-06437/58899881_zpid/

In relation to the sale history of the house for comparison purposes...

In 2007, HSBC Bank USA filed a foreclosure action against Jeffrey Navin in New Haven Superior Court for an unpaid mortgage on property at 7 Hart Landing in Guilford.

There were two judgments of strict foreclosure issued over time, both of which Navin appealed.

The latest judgment, on Dec. 22, 2014, was issued in favor of HSBC and against Navin for foreclosure on the basis of $2.228 million in unpaid mortgage costs.

On July 22, the same date as the CL&P denial, the Appellate Court issued an order denying Navin the right to reargue the case.

Court records also showed an additional, older foreclosure of record brought by OCWEN Federal Bank against other property owned by Jeffrey and Jeannette Navin.

The Navins lived in Weston since 1994 at 37 Osborn Farm Road. That home was in Jeannette Navin’s name only, and was sold in June for $900,000. The Navins then moved to Easton, where they are renting a home on 77 Staples Road.

http://www.thewestonforum.com/52697/jeffrey-navin-missing-man-had-financial-problems/

More at link...but wowza and convoluted!

. Respondent represented the Complainant and one, Helen E. O’Reilly (hereinafter “O’Reilly”) with regard to a real estate closing on or about December 30, 2002.

2. As a result of said closing, Complainant loaned O’Reilly $637,500.00 in mortgage funds, and O’Reilly executed all mortgage documents related thereto.

3. Said closing regarded residential property known as 7 Hart Landing, Guilford, CT.

4. Respondent recorded the Mortgage Deed securing Complainant’s loan on the Guilford Land Records on or about February 4, 2003.

5. O’Reilly later defaulted on the said mortgage loan, and Complainant initiated a foreclosure action as a result.

6. The contract for sale of the aforesaid 7 Hart Landing, Guilford, CT had been executed between O’Reilly and one, Jeffrey Navin (hereinafter “Navin”).

7. Approximately 3-4 weeks prior to the closing, Jeffrey Navin sold 7 Hart Landing, Guilford, CT to one, Patrick Berkery (hereinafter “Berkery”).

8. Patrick Berkery was the seller of 7 Hart Landing, Guilford, CT at the aforesaid December 30, 2002 closing.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/sgc/decisions/040528.htm

IMO Jeffrey Navin was lending money for a fee.
This has been a pretty popular side business for many people that I knew.

I know MANY MANY people who got into huge financial trouble doing just this.

It looks like PB is the Reverend. http://www.theday.com/article/20100429/NWS11/304299978

He is survived by ML and other nieces and nephews, as well as his longtime friends JO and GO and family of Guilford.

Here's a case involving both PB and JO. https://casetext.com/case/berkery-v-hartford

Was HO kin to JO and GO? Likely, IMO.

What I don't get is why PB was the seller of the home, but somehow Navin ended up with it again? Why? I'm presuming the lien was in regard to the utilities?

At the time of [sic] December 30, 2002 closing, 7 Hart Landing, Guilford, CT was encumbered by $773,782.88 of prior recorded liens and/or attachments.

13. Respondent commissioned a title search of 7 Hart Landing, Guilford, CT prior to the aforesaid December 30, 2002 closing.

14. The said title search identified the aforesaid prior recorded liens and/or attachments.

15. Prior to the aforesaid December 30, 2002 closing, Respondent received Complainant’s written closing instructions, including Complainant’s requirement that all outstanding encumbrances shall be satisfied at or prior to the closing.

16. By the time Complainant initiated the aforesaid foreclosure action, the liens and/or attachments recorded on 7 Hart Landing, Guilford, CT prior to December 30, 2002, still had not been satisfied.

17. Respondent never informed Complainant about the aforesaid prior recorded liens and/or attachments at any time prior to Complainant’s initiating its aforesaid foreclosure action.

Who knows.... I know LE has their sights set on the son, but it looks like Navin was into something fishy with this piece of real estate and the various tentacles it reached out to long-time community residents.

Also, MorkFromOrk said it was a complete shock about the Guilford house to many. Why? Why was it kept hush-hush? If you look at the Trulia pictures, there is someone living there - you can see a person in photo 6 and there are also clothes in a closet and an unmade bed.

It just seems super coincidental to me that once this house thing unraveled in the courts and in the media, boom they go missing.

It looks like PB is the Reverend. http://www.theday.com/article/20100429/NWS11/304299978

Here's a case involving both PB and JO. https://casetext.com/case/berkery-v-hartford

Was HO kin to JO and GO? Likely, IMO.

What I don't get is why PB was the seller of the home, but somehow Navin ended up with it again? Why? I'm presuming the lien was in regard to the utilities?

Who knows.... I know LE has their sights set on the son, but it looks like Navin was into something fishy with this piece of real estate and the various tentacles it reached out to long-time community residents.

The priest who was on the electric bill is not PB. He had moved out of state to Wisconsin many years ago and was still alive as of this summer (albeit with cancer). His last name wasn't B. The court documents say the house was owned by a religious organization so maybe he was tied to PB that way? It is all very complicated. I'd have to sit down with the documents for days to really understand them.

Also, MorkFromOrk said it was a complete shock about the Guilford house to many. Why? Why was it kept hush-hush? If you look at the Trulia pictures, there is someone living there - you can see a person in photo 6 and there are also clothes in a closet and an unmade bed.

It just seems super coincidental to me that once this house thing unraveled in the courts and in the media, boom they go missing.

Well... it sort of looks like it unraveled right before they went missing, but it had been unraveling for years and years and years with lots of set-backs for Navin along the way. I think it would have looked like real estate and finances might be connected if he'd gone missing anytime in the last two decades, so maybe it is just a coincidence, or maybe a symptom of a bigger general unraveling that he was trying to get under control by selling the business and downsizing his lifestyle, which was not something their son found very appealing.

The priest who was on the electric bill is not PB. He had moved out of state to Wisconsin many years ago and was still alive as of this summer (albeit with cancer). His last name wasn't B. The court documents say the house was owned by a religious organization so maybe he was tied to PB that way? It is all very complicated. I'd have to sit down with the documents for days to really understand them.

Per the PB case above, he was at odds with the Archdiocese of Hartford over a retirement fund, so maybe that's it?

All that time in court over the last 20 years would have given me a coronary by now. It's making my blood pressure spike just thinking about it.

This is just the weirdest case, I swear. How in the world did CM's house get bought by priests? We have Rev. B and Rev. C.

My first year was in a well to do shoreline parish with two other priests in the rectory. It was quite large: there were 70 weddings that year along with two priests hearing confessions every Saturday for over an hour. The writer Colleen McCullough had lived in Guilford while composing “The Thorn Birds”. That always put me on edge.

http://vox-nova.com/2014/11/03/thoughts-on-vocations-iv-an-interview-with-fr-michael-dolan/

Could CM have donated the house to the parish? She was wealthy by then, and returned to Australia in 1976.

Well... it sort of looks like it unraveled right before they went missing, but it had been unraveling for years and years and years with lots of set-backs for Navin along the way. I think it would have looked like real estate and finances might be connected if he'd gone missing anytime in the last two decades, so maybe it is just a coincidence, or maybe a symptom of a bigger general unraveling that he was trying to get under control by selling the business and downsizing his lifestyle, which was not something their son found very appealing.

Makes it look like a perfect time to go missing and set someone else up to take the fall -- someone you are pretty sure will likely not end up being convicted because there's no body ...

Could Colleen McCullough have donated the house to the parish? She was wealthy by then, and returned to Australia in 1976.

Bizarrely, one of my friends grew up in Guilford and her stepfather left the priesthood for her mother.

ETA: Her mother and stepfather were quite normal and nice people. It just seems like a really strange coincidence what with the Thorn Birds author and then subsequently priests living in the house.

Makes it look like a perfect time to go missing and set someone else up to take the fall -- someone you are pretty sure will likely not end up being convicted because there's no body ...

IMHO, they wouldn't have left the assets they had behind. They had just sold a house for $900K. They hadn't yet liquidated their business, which I bet was worth quite a bit. I don't think the Navins would have left behind that sort of cash.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back