Police Dispatch Tapes

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why was it called in as a burglary in process and not as an abduction?

This child-goes-missing-in-the-wee-hours scenario is sounding similar to the night that HaLeigh Cummings "disappeared". jmo

To keep the media away....

Yes. And also because it was ultimately a burglary, or home invasion that resulted in a possible abduction. Someone had broken into a home and may have still been there or nearby- and that is how police should respond. At this point if Jeremy called, he likely said he just got home and his daughter wasn't there- for all dispatch knew, she was at grandmas. Nobody had seen her snatched in a white van that sped away. The crime that was being relayed was a break in.

Aside from that, it's very possible that the police was called on his cell en route to be told about the abduction portion. This is getting more and more common in areas where they want to keep it on the down low.

They dont release them in that state. moo

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=20225

State Laws Relating to Confidentiality of 9-1-1 Call Recordings
Updated January 28, 2011

Six states—Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Wyoming—keep 911 call recordings confidential. Georgia, Maine, Minnesota and South Dakota place some restrictions on the release of 911 calls or the information contained in them. Excerpts from and links to state laws follow.

Sort of O/T but...

Do we not have a thread for the dumpster fire? The details of that are pretty sketchy in my mind, and I can't find info to clarify.

In what way? If anything was stolen, ot was a larceny. And no, the wording used is dispatch/lle jargon for them responding to his complaint of a theft.

So the larceny complaint being referred to is the same as JI reporting the car theft?

:confused:

Why was it called in as a burglary in process and not as an abduction?

Did he call it in as a burglary in progress? I listened to the tape several times, and as far as I can tell, and since we don't have the 911 call, he might not have hiven a nature of the complaint. He might not have told the dispatcher whether he was inside or outside, he might not have told her whether he searched the whole house, he might not even have been coherent enough for her to understand what he was reporting.

She also might have tagged it as an in progress call in order to warn the officers to take extra caution. It could be a huge deal, but then again, it could be nothing more than a miscommunication.

Did he call it in as a burglary in progress? I listened to the tape several times, and as far as I can tell, and since we don't have the 911 call, he might not have hiven a nature of the complaint. He might not have told the dispatcher whether he was inside or outside, he might not have told her whether he searched the whole house, he might not even have been coherent enough for her to understand what he was reporting.

She also might have tagged it as an in progress call in order to warn the officers to take extra caution. It could be a huge deal, but then again, it could be nothing more than a miscommunication.

The media listens to police scanners, the LE may not have wanted to alert the media that there was an abduction, so it was classified as a burglary in progress. JMO

I would like to validate something but it's difficult to at this time.

The news articles pointed out here mention there is a larceny complaint against JI, but I've not heard it on the dispatch tapes, only in text by the media. If someone has that specific audio, I would like to review it.

Here is what I can tell you from decades of monitoring police activity in the greater Kansas City metro area, and the same techniques are used across the country.

When an officer is dispatched to a call, the dispatcher will give the officer a brief summary of past situations at the address.

An example call you can see on another thread of mine:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7235413#post7235413"]Police Dispatch Tapes - Page 4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

If anyone has a link to further audio where KCPD dispatcher is giving detailing a larceny please PM me. I don't think it exists though.

The media listens to police scanners, the LE may not have wanted to alert the media that there was an abduction, so it was classified as a burglary in progress. JMO

If true, it would be interesting to know, what code they use for an actual burglary in progress.

:waitasec:

loveandhugs,

Many times when calls are dispatched, the dispatcher nor the responding units know what they are up against until they arrive. Based on the specifics that the dispatcher put out, it's most likely what the call taker received. Man found broken screen (someone broke into the house, could be classified as a burglary, could be classified as a home invasion). Until units arrive on the scene, they really don't know what they are up against.

If (IF) JI called and stated he came home, found the screen busted and his 10 month old daughter was missing, officers really have no clue until they respond what had happened. You can't scream kidnapping until officers arrive. If they did that, it would be the same as an AMBER Alert being broadcast without the proper merits. They don't know if maybe a grandmother had picked up this child (if the calling party stated he came home and his 10 month old daughter was missing), or maybe the child stayed at a another relatives house that night. Maybe a custody issue and the child left. They just don't know who's in the house, or if the person that is calling knows all the specifics. Officers have to be on scene to make an assessment.

Something else many don't understand, there are stages for calls and dispatches.
There is a calltaker that actually talks to the 911 caller and puts the information in the system, and a seperate individual dispatching from what is entered into the system.

The news articles pointed out here mention there is a larceny complaint against JI, but I've not heard it on the dispatch tapes, only in text by the media. If someone has that specific audio, I would like to review it.

Here is what I can tell you from decades of monitoring police activity in the greater Kansas City metro area, and the same techniques are used across the country.

When an officer is dispatched to a call, the dispatcher will give the officer a brief summary of past situations at the address.

Example call I just heard on the scanner:

If anyone has a link to further audio where KCPD dispatcher is giving detailing a larceny please PM me.

Thank you for verifying, without any proof in this case yet, what is SOP regarding the brief summary of past situations.

My daughter works for the office of medical investigations, CSI. When she is on call we have the scanner going here all the time, to give her a heads up if she may be called. We have heard that same thing many times.

I notice that Channel 5 news got that information in print last evening, it was not the time of day to get more info. I am hoping more comes out on Monday. I am, in the meantime trying to find it and if I do I will send it to you.

If true, that changes the landscape of this whole thing, MOO.

Thanks for letting me hear, from the mouth of a verified expert that, that is what happens quiet often, to give the officer a heads up.

What if this whole thing was over a cell phone? That would be so messed up. I mean, why would they be missing, why would someone want them or want to dispose of them?

There is no such complaint.

I went back and monitored the audio for the vacant home search last night. Two officers were initially dispatched to the scene. One officer arrives and radios the other. He then states, "stand by, I'll call you". No other traffic after that for the hour I pushed ahead except one officer running a subjects name, presumably the young man who went into the vacant house and called police to report his findings.

I often wonder why radios aren't required for communications in the event something goes to court and they want a transcript. That's not going to be available on a cell phone. Kansas City spent several million dollars on their radio system some years ago, and they even have the ability to encrypt audio on special frequencies but they have never utilized it. At least if they utilized it and something went to court, it could be produced on disk for a trial. I live next to Kansas City in neighboring Independence Missouri. They just updated their radio system to the 700MHz P25 APCO a couple of years ago, and they do utilize their encrypted system. They can keep the general public in the dark, the media, exchange important information that could be critical in a moments notice with everything being kept private. With the number of resources available online and iPhone and Droid applications (and probably others), anyone can listen now.

I've been trying very hard to monitor the scanner traffic in regards to this case, but it's becoming more and more difficult.

An example call you can see on another thread of mine:

Police Dispatch Tapes - Page 4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

If anyone has a link to further audio where KCPD dispatcher is giving detailing a larceny please PM me. I don't think it exists though.

indepmo, I did hear a brief mention about the larceny call on the scanner.

Please go here to read it:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7238227&postcount=1163"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I can't provide a link to the audio, but if you are a member of Radio Reference you can access the archives to listen to it.

All the media mentions of the JI complaint relate to this scanner recording. Again, this is misunderstanding. The dispatcher brings up, as they often do, a previous call to the house. It's not a complaint of larceny against JI. It's a previous dispatch to the house involving larceny.

Most LE now (and especially in metro areas) have a laptop hooked up to their car and mounted on a stand in the front seat. Wouldn't any responding officer be able to check certain info that way and rather quickly too?

Most LE now (and especially in metro areas) have a laptop hooked up to their car and mounted on a stand in the front seat. Wouldn't any responding officer be able to check certain info that way and rather quickly too?

I can confirm that. I have 1 sheriff, 2 LE officers and a state trooper in my family. They all have laptops in their car.

How do you know the media isn't just reporting the facts as stated by the dispatcher and the dispatcher is the one making the verbal errors (assuming it IS an error)?

Coming our of lurkdom to say I agree with the above post. Frankly, the only media report I saw that suggested that Irwin was involved in the larceny (as more than a victim) was KMBC and then the analysis here on this thread. I haven't seen it anywhere else. I am sure other media outlets would be all over this if he was in fact a culprit in a crime.

I know it's a matter of opinion but I really strongly feel that we're just dealing with awkward wording from the dispatcher and nothing else. "There was a complaint issued to a Jeremy Irwin regards to a larceny". Insert the word 'by' in place of 'to' and it fits with the car theft.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back