Poll for the Armchair Psychologists

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

What Psychological Disorder do you think Jodi may have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are so right about DSM: It is a tool within a certain cultural purview only. It is not universally sound by any means and it is not a Bible. It individualizes many cultural and social pathologies and it victimizes some people by labeling them as though their illness were not part of a wider social construct.

DSM speaks as much about its authors and researchers as it does the people it labels.

Now in the 21st century there are many who think modern psychology is a pseudo-science and even a fraudulent science. I am not speaking of the ignorant: I am speaking of professionals in the hard sciences, epistemology scholars, and medical researchers.

And with good cause: It is often based on questionable research. In 2011 a world renowned Dutch social psychology researcher (Stapel, Tillburg University) - who had authored dozens of stellar research papers which were published in scientific and illustrious academic journals and became models which were praised globally - admitted to using fraudulent data, making up results and tampering with statistical data.

Psychology as it now stands may not always be deemed a credible discipline nor a scientific one. As a great academic said, it is definitely at a cross-roads.

I agree with you. I'm an academic, and I do think that one might fairly refer to modern psychology as a pseudo-science because it is too dependent on subjective evaluation. Your point regarding potentially fraudulent research data and subsequent results is a good one as well, and could easily apply to any academic discipline -- hence the critical role of peer review. However, in the end, one must make some reasonable attempt to convey their meaning in a fashion sufficient for reasonably intelligent individuals, willing to seek out and understand its meaning, to comprehend.

:cow:

OK so to get us all back on topic So this thread doesn't get the boot and bc our theories many times go through metamorphosis as we share ideas:

What do you think Jodi's psychological disorder is, if any?

What evidence of her past behavior made you come to this personal conclusion?

Thanks for any and all answers!

Is Nuttyenoughtoattractsquirells taken? If not, that's my vote.

Is that the only one that troubles you?

Yes. I think she probably fits the others.

Although, I cannot see where she is charming. No one has said that, have they? She is very unappealing and everyone except Travis, Matt, Gus, and DB think she is not appealing.

As far as Bobby, she was awfully young so that one I have to throw out as kids live that way.

She did not want to do the sales for PPL. Who can blame her on that? Not me.
I do not look at that as unmotivated. I am not a sales person. No way, no how. That does not make me lazy.

As far as the juvenile delinquency, we know about the pot. I am not into that one bit and I would not be happy if my kid did it, but it really is minor.

I would expect to see some juvie trouble. Was any disclosed?

The stalking, etc does not seem psychopath to me, as in she stalked to kill them.

I answered in the questionnaire that she was nuts. That is my professional verified position.

She is soooooo into herself. She cannot see others. It is all about her.

In order to be good at any public speaking one has to be self assured. Someone that is unsure of themselves will not make it in that field. In order to capture the attention of an audience one also has to have some flash, style and even some ego. Think about TV evangelists. Lots of flash, style and ego to go with their message that they are putting out there. The ones that don't have that combination are not in the business for very long.

Then we have Jodi who was very good at scamming people, men especially. Jodi had plenty of ego and flash herself, she just decided to use it to further her own wants and needs instead of helping others.

MOO

As far as not paying on the mortgage any,ore, it could be she saw a sinking ship. No point., no way to save it.

She was going to go into real estate, though.

We have to go back five or more years when people were making money on houses with nothing down. I am sure she saw it all of the time.

I am not saying I agree with it, but those were the times. Speculation are us!

In order to be good at any public speaking one has to be self assured. Someone that is unsure of themselves will not make it in that field. In order to capture the attention of an audience one also has to have some flash, style and even some ego. Think about TV evangelists. Lots of flash, style and ego to go with their message that they are putting out there. The ones that don't have that combination are not in the business for very long.

Then we have Jodi who was very good at scamming people, men especially. Jodi had plenty of ego and flash herself, she just decided to use it to further her own wants and needs instead of helping others.

MOO

Did she go after the men? She sure could have gotten herself a real sugar Daddy. No problem. But she didn't.

Those times were hard. The economic recession had hit and Mesa was in a world of trouble for jobs. Lots of crime as well. We cannot look at it through toddy's eyes, but rather think of the recession.

There is a pattern of Jodi not paying for her big ticket items, if you will. The house was just one of them. Jodi also didn't pay for her car, the Lexus. Jodi had the money to pay for a boob job though instead of house payments and I do wonder what she did with the money that she received from the girl that lived with her for a little bit. For Jodi image is everything. She wanted the nice house, the nice car, the nice figure, the blonde hair......she just didn't want to work to pay for them. It is difficult for anyone to keep a job when they leave before their shift is over because their boyfriend is not answering his phone and they have to find him.

Jodi did not just grow pot when she was younger. She also skipped school and drank alcohol to the point of blacking out. Instead of abiding by her parents rules she decided to live with a guy who has a questionable background himself. And so begins her life of leaching off of others. She moves upward to the next guy instead of bettering herself so that she can be self sufficient. Jodi is simply a waste of space and air. She offers nothing to the world or even those around her.

MOO

I am not defending her. I am just trying to figure this out. A lot of women never live on their own. They get married or live with a BF. is it parasitic to get married and not work?

We do not know if the things said about her by that woman working with her are true.

It is hard to believe there would be any reason for a restaurant to keep such a crappy waitress. Especially at a time when jobs were hard to come by.

I do not think she is a waste of space. She is worse because she took a life and continues to cause pain, but I think to figure her out, the facts should be looked at.

She is despised, so any bad thing said about her is appealing. But, that does not make it true.

There is a pattern of Jodi not paying for her big ticket items, if you will. The house was just one of them. Jodi also didn't pay for her car, the Lexus. Jodi had the money to pay for a boob job though instead of house payments and I do wonder what she did with the money that she received from the girl that lived with her for a little bit. For Jodi image is everything. She wanted the nice house, the nice car, the nice figure, the blonde hair......she just didn't want to work to pay for them. It is difficult for anyone to keep a job when they leave before their shift is over because their boyfriend is not answering his phone and they have to find him.

Jodi did not just grow pot when she was younger. She also skipped school and drank alcohol to the point of blacking out. Instead of abiding by her parents rules she decided to live with a guy who has a questionable background himself. And so begins her life of leaching off of others. She moves upward to the next guy instead of bettering herself so that she can be self sufficient. Jodi is simply a waste of space and air. She offers nothing to the world or even those around her.

MOO
As far as the not paying for big ticket items, I have seen this pattern in many women, my sisters included (and they have masters degrees; always got houses or condos or cars off men, though).

Did she go after the men? She sure could have gotten herself a real sugar Daddy. No problem. But she didn't.

Those times were hard. The economic recession had hit and Mesa was in a world of trouble for jobs. Lots of crime as well. We cannot look at it through toddy's eyes, but rather think of the recession.

Did she go after the men? According to Jodi no she didn't, they just were drawn to her. According to others that knew her yes she definitely went after the men, even those that were married or in a committed relationship.

The thing with getting a sugar daddy is that like most men they also want something more than just a semi attractive female with a semi attractive body. They also expect the woman to have something more in them, that they be a nice person, can carry on a conversation, care for them and want to do things for them. Jodi has problems with those things because for Jodi it is all about her. What she wants matters, nothing else.

Jodi worked in the food industry. It isn't as if she had a degree in a specific field and couldn't find work in that field. Even in tough times people go out to eat. Jodi didn't even have a high school diploma so the jobs that she was qualified for were jobs that typically have openings pretty much all the time. People quit or get fired, they then need new people to fill those spots. Jodi simply wanted the easy way of getting money without having to work for it. Heck she couldn't even stick with her "art" to make money........took to much work to do that.

MOO

I am not defending her. I am just trying to figure this out. A lot of women never live on their own. They get married or live with a BF. is it parasitic to get married and not work?

We do not know if the things said about her by that woman working with her are true.

It is hard to believe there would be any reason for a restaurant to keep such a crappy waitress. Especially at a time when jobs were hard to come by.

I do not think she is a waste of space. She is worse because she took a life and continues to cause pain, but I think to figure her out, the facts should be looked at.

She is despised, so any bad thing said about her is appealing. But, that does not make it true.

I am a stay at home married mom. I also worked for many years, beginning at age 16, before I had my second child. With my first child I was a single mom who worked hard to provide for us. I missed out on all of her "firsts" because I was at work, her babysitter got to witness them instead. Then I married my husband and we had our daughter together. I was fortunate to not have to work as he makes enough money to support us. Now let's talk about Jodi. She was not married to any of these men, was not engaged to any of these men and had no expectations that they would/should support her. Perhaps I should rephrase that, she did not deserve to have any expectations that they would/should support her.

I do not take the things said about Jodi by people that worked with her as gospel. I do however take the things that Jodi herself has said, what her family has said and other friends have said into account when trying to figure her out. I also take my own life experiences and the people that I know and have come into contact with into account as well.

In the food industry it is very easy to hire someone else. Typically those types of jobs are not long term as in many years in one place. Jodi either quit on her own or was fired a lot since she has had a lot of jobs over the years.

I feel that Jodi is a waste of space because she doesn't offer anything to anyone around her other than pain and suffering. She isn't a great artist, she isn't a great singer, she isn't a great humanitarian, she isn't even a good human being. If given the chance Jodi will kill again. Like other killers she deserves to be far removed from other humans.

It isn't hard to figure out Jodi. She has shown us who she is. The problem comes with people wanting to find some good in her instead of believing what she shows us.

MOO

I agree with you. I'm an academic, and I do think that one might fairly refer to modern psychology as a pseudo-science because it is too dependent on subjective evaluation. Your point regarding potentially fraudulent research data and subsequent results is a good one as well, and could easily apply to any academic discipline -- hence the critical role of peer review. However, in the end, one must make some reasonable attempt to convey their meaning in a fashion sufficient for reasonably intelligent individuals, willing to seek out and understand its meaning, to comprehend.

:cow:

I just wanted to thank this twice!

Did she go after the men? She sure could have gotten herself a real sugar Daddy. No problem. But she didn't.Those times were hard. The economic recession had hit and Mesa was in a world of trouble for jobs. Lots of crime as well. We cannot look at it through toddy's eyes, but rather think of the recession.

I think that the "sugar daddies" around these here parts like a woman that has some common interests, career, or hobby. That's how the women meet them. I think most of the "sugar daddies" are rather reserved and not so very naive and stupid.

What could JA do to meet her "sugar daddy"......offer him some crayons and sing "Holy Night" very off key?

I think that the "sugar daddies" around these here parts like a woman that has some common interests, career, or hobby. That's how the women meet them. I think most of the "sugar daddies" are rather reserved and not so very naive and stupid.

What could JA do to meet her "sugar daddy"......offer him some crayons and sing "Holy Night" very off key?

I have said this many times. I have seen women get sugar daddies and they are not looking at personality or conversation partner.

That is the reason why some eomen get *advertiser censored* and other surgery.

If you do not believe me, go to any expensive area and watch to see what a sexy girl can do. It really is pathetic.

The term troohy wife is for a reason. And it is not personality

I have said this many times. I have seen women get sugar daddies and they are not looking at personality or conversation partner.

If you do not believe me, go to any expensive area and watch to see what a sexy girl can do. It really is pathetic.

Yes, its sickeningly shallow, and I for one believe Arias would not have wanted to be this for some older guy with money. Travis' youth, his personality, his spirituality and his seriousness coupled with a boyish prankishness and the knowledge of all that he had had to overcome: I believe these things were really valued by her.

Yes, its sickeningly shallow, and I for one believe Arias would not have wanted to be this for some older guy with money. Travis' youth, his personality, his spirituality and his seriousness coupled with a boyish prankishness and the knowledge of all that he had had to overcome: I believe these things were really valued by her.

But Jodi's past actions show that she did in fact want someone to support her. Daryl was at least 15 years her senior. Unfortunately he was not as wealthy as Jodi would have liked so she opted for the next upward step.......Travis. Jodi sees the material things: the house, the car, the money, the nice clothes, the trips. That's what matters to Jodi. Since Jodi is an empty shell herself it is very difficult for her to appreciate or even desire those with good values or traits. What she does want, appreciate and desire is the material things that she values and that she thinks makes one "successful".

MOO

Yes, human.......I know what you're saying & I get to see it (so to speak) everyday and I don't entirely disagree.
And yet, from what I see with the competition in my locale, I doubt that JA would've done well trying to latch onto a "sugar daddy". She's a dime-a-dozen in these here parts.
Plus, her special kind of cray-cray can be read from a mile away for those who have that type of "radar".

:scared:

I do not think some old guy is thinking about cray cray. If that was the case, we would not see all of these guys going for some girl as young as a great granddaughter.

Travis was not rich for what Jodi has seen. Houses where she worked in CA go for millions of dollars. Millions.

She went to La Jolla for surfing and a boob job. La Jolla. The most expensive place in the US where many homes cost $10 mil.

Monterey, where homes cost in the millions.

Mesa had a huge crime problem and many issues. Travis was not rich compared to what Jodi saw everyday in CA.

Aileen W. got herself a super rich hubby. Someone who looked like Jodi and could fake it, like she apparently did with DB, could easily do it.

The maid of one of the Johnson and Johnson heirs managed to get him to divorce his wife of many years and get herself the will. If that is your goal in life and you have the looks, it appears to be easy

I believe she had Narcissistic Personality Disorder W/ psychotic traits or a comorbidity with Antisocial Personality disorder

"The Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) (formerly known as megalomania or, colloquially, as egotism) is a form of pathological narcissism. It is a Cluster B (dramatic, emotional, or erratic) personality disorder. Other Cluster B personality disorders are the Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), the Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD), and the Histrionic Personality Disorder (HPD). The Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) first appeared as a mental health diagnosis in the DSM III-TR (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) in 1980.

Diagnostic Criteria

The ICD-10, the International Classification of Diseases, published by the World Health Organisation in Geneva [1992] regards the Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) as "a personality disorder that fits none of the specific rubrics". It relegates it to the category "Other Specific Personality Disorders" together with the eccentric, "haltlose", immature, passive-aggressive, and psychoneurotic personality disorders and types.

The American Psychiatric Association, based in Washington D.C., USA, publishes the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR) [2000] where it provides the diagnostic criteria for the Narcissistic Personality Disorder (301.81, p. 717).

The DSM-IV-TR defines Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) as "an all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behaviour), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts", such as family life and work.

The DSM specifies nine diagnostic criteria. Five (or more) of these criteria must be met for a diagnosis of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) to be rendered.

Feels grandiose and self-important (e.g., exaggerates accomplishments, talents, skills, contacts, and personality traits to the point of lying, demands to be recognised as superior without commensurate achievements);
Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion;
Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions);
Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation – or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (Narcissistic Supply);
Feels entitled. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her unreasonable expectations for special and favourable priority treatment;
Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends;
Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with, acknowledge, or accept the feelings, needs, preferences, priorities, and choices of others;
Constantly envious of others and seeks to hurt or destroy the objects of his or her frustration. Suffers from persecutory (paranoid) delusions as he or she believes that they feel the same about him or her and are likely to act similarly;
Behaves arrogantly and haughtily. Feels superior, omnipotent, omniscient, invincible, immune, "above the law", and omnipresent (magical thinking). Rages when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted by people he or she considers inferior to him or her and unworthy."
[/B]

Also, Narcissists often appear psychotic when they are experiencing low narcissistic supply (adoration, acceptance, flattery) or their Gap of Grandiosity is closing in. But they are fully aware of reality.

"We all heard the terms "psychopath" or "sociopath". These are the old or colloquial names for a patient with the Antisocial Personality Disorder (AsPD). It is hard to distinguish narcissists from psychopaths. The latter may simply be a less inhibited and less grandiose form of the former. Some scholars have suggested the existence of a hybrid "psychopathic narcissist", or "narcissistic psychopath". Indeed, the DSM V Committee is considering to merge these personality disorders.
Still, there are some important nuances setting the two disorders apart:

As opposed to most narcissists, psychopaths are either unable or unwilling to control their impulses or to delay gratification. They use their rage to control people and manipulate them into submission.

Psychopaths, like narcissists, lack empathy but many of them are also sadistic: they take pleasure in inflicting pain on their victims or in deceiving them. They even find it funny!

Psychopaths are far less able to form interpersonal relationships, even the twisted and tragic relationships that are the staple of the narcissist.

Both the psychopath and the narcissist disregard society, its conventions, social cues and social treaties. But the psychopath carries this disdain to the extreme and is likely to be a scheming, calculated, ruthless, and callous career criminal. Psychopaths are deliberately and gleefully evil while narcissists are absent-mindedly and incidentally evil.
From my book "Malignant Self Love - Narcissism Revisited":

"As opposed to what Scott Peck says, narcissists are not evil – they lack the intention to cause harm (mens rea). As Millon notes, certain narcissists 'incorporate moral values into their exaggerated sense of superiority. Here, moral laxity is seen (by the narcissist) as evidence of inferiority, and it is those who are unable to remain morally pure who are looked upon with contempt.' (Millon, Th., Davis, R. - Personality Disorders in Modern Life - John Wiley and Sons, 2000). Narcissists are simply indifferent, callous and careless in their conduct and in their treatment of others. Their abusive conduct is off-handed and absent-minded, not calculated and premeditated like the psychopath's."

Psychopaths really do not need other people while narcissists are addicted to narcissistic supply (the admiration, attention, and envy of others).

Millon and Davis (supra) add (p. 299-300):

"When the egocentricity, lack of empathy, and sense of superiority of the narcissist cross-fertilize with the impulsivity, deceitfulness, and criminal tendencies of the antisocial, the result is a psychopath, an individual who seeks the gratification of selfish impulses through any means without empathy or remorse.""

http://samvak.tripod.com/personalitydisorders15.html

Furthermore, I feel Travis was in a period of being an inverted narcissist as his mother passed not long before he began dating Arias. In short, because he grew up with a narcissistic drug addicted parent, he would also feel comfortable playing out the role of the narcissistic supply to a somatic AND cerebral narcissist like Jodi.

http://samvak.tripod.com/faq66.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member