Possibly related cases (GB4, Manorville, Bittrolff victims, & others)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And now, since you suggested it, the Merriam-Webster entries:

Definition of MALICIOUS
: having or showing a desire to cause harm to someone :
(which can be said in the case of repeated attempts to undermine someone's reputation)

Definition of SLANDER
transitive verb
: to utter slander against : defame
(I admit, the better wording would have been probably "malicious libel" since Merriam-Webster obviously considers the verb version, not a substantive form of "slander". However, since this definition also refers to defame, the expression is clear)

Definition of DEFAME
transitive verb
archaic : disgrace
: to harm the reputation of by libel or slander
archaic : accuse
(Which can be said in a case, of repeated attempts to undermine someone's reputation)

Comments in brackets () from me. So, I looked up in the dictionary, the words say, according to Merriam-Webster, what I tried to express, even, I could have used instead of "slander" the term "libel". However, I consider it not a bad result for a non-native speaker. Let me know whether you think, Merriam-Webster is no authority for English vocabulary and therefore, I had it all wrong.

Peter
Are you serious? I'm going to go ahead and put myself on timeout.

Peter, no fault of your own-

In America, "Bi-Monthly visits" can mean either occurring every two months or occurring twice a month. It does not, however, mean occurring two out of the four weeks in a month (I know that our version of English can be confusing).

I think in this situation, the reporter was implying that she would come visit Long Island two times per month (on average). The reporter was not intending to give us an indication as to how long each visit would last or how long in total both visits would add up to be. Foreignor, being a non American too, did not catch on to your literal translation of the term bi-weekly.

In America, "Bi-Monthly visits" can mean either occurring every two months or occurring twice a month. It does not, however, mean occurring two out of the four weeks in a month (I know that our version of English can be confusing).

I think in this situation, the reporter was implying that she would come visit Long Island two times per month (on average). The reporter was not intending to give us an indication as to how long each visit would last or how long in total both visits would add up to be. Foreignor, being a non American too, did not catch on to your literal translation of the term bi-weekly.

But but but ... uhhh ... twice a month (average) is exactly, what I say since at least half a year. That's EXACTLY the point! This wasn't her first visit in the area (she got herself also arrested a year earlier when she got onto undercover detectives, but I have really to find that article again. I remember something a bit foggy, that was in another hotel in LI).
Whatever, point is, that wasn't the first time, she went one or two DAYS over to LI to care for her lonely customers there. Which

a.) indicates, she had customers somewhere else too because I doubt her pimp allowed her just to sit on a couch and watch soaps (therefore still my opinion, the LISK's hunting ground is maybe NYC and not LI, as was Rifkin's)

and

b.) Since it was a procedure which had already some routine, there is a chance, she maybe bought on earlier visits cigarettes/candy/whatever in that convenience store. Which raises the chances someone there would recognize her

Peter

One of the classic NYS wrong man convictions came about in part from a profile created for an upstate PD by a NYPD profiler. The 'victim' of the profile was a Jeffrey Deskovic. When Deskovic became a POI the cops thought they had the right man - he fit the profile like a glove. He would spend more than 16 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit. What is even sadder is the real killer went on to kill again.

I watch the very fine TV Show "Criminal Minds" Very entertaining but very much BS. In all my years in the PD, the last 10 in homicide have I ever saw a case that was solved by a profiler

One of the classic NYS wrong man convictions came about in part from a profile created for an upstate PD by a NYPD profiler. The 'victim' of the profile was a Jeffrey Deskovic. When Deskovic became a POI the cops thought they had the right man - he fit the profile like a glove. He would spend more than 16 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit. What is even sadder is the real killer went on to kill again.

I watch the very fine TV Show "Criminal Minds" Very entertaining but very much BS. In all my years in the PD, the last 10 in homicide have I ever saw a case that was solved by a profiler

Yeah, profilers get usually ignored and then it takes 33 years to solve the Patz case. And yes, also profiles can be wrong, because the sense of a profile is to generate or narrow down a suspect pool, not to give you an address. It's the job of the detectives in the field to gather forensic evidence. You don't get a conviction exclusively based on a profile.
Deskovic was convicted based on testimony of a detective, who claimed Deskovic had confessed. He hadn't. So it wasn't the profile (which would have demanded to speak to a subject but not faking a confession), it was the blatant lie of that detective and it was the failure of a PD to get DNA evidence.
As I see things, we make not enough use of profiles and certainly not in the right way.

And yes, Criminal Minds is amusing to say it careful. I am near to spill my coffee every time Dr. Reid blurs out his wisdom about the women Bundy killed. But hey, it's a TV show. It is supposed to be entertaining and that's all. To learn to know your monsters, I suggest to study cases, not the TV guide.

Peter

My dad used to say "Barney Miller was the tv cop show closest to reality."

Now, that's embarrassing, but I have to admit, I have a hard time with some of those crime shows. Maybe it's because I have seen too much of reality. But I didn't make it through Dexter (and the parts I watched, I was forced to by reasons of my writing) because this guy was messing around with that much plastic sheet and duct tape, that forensics could have reconstructed the story of his life by just looking in the next dumpster.
And Criminal minds ... well, the characters are worse it, the cases are not. The most fun seems to be Bones right now. So, if you look for reality, a TV show appears to me somehow the wrong place.

Peter

I agree. Profiling is one small piece of the puzzle. It can narrow down the suspect pool, but it cannot be totally relied upon as the definitive answer as to who a POI is. There is so much more to be considered!

My dad used to say "Barney Miller was the tv cop show closest to reality."

Your father was right in many ways. I was in Hollywood with Dennis Franz and told him his show lacked the humor that went on in the PD. Barney Miller was more like reality than NYPD Blue. A TV Show called "Homicide'life on the streets.' was light years ahead of BLUE in the reality department. Homicide captured the essence of what it was like to be a detective. They were real people. /whether the Baltimore PD was portrayed accurately from a technical stand point is not for me to say.

Funny thing about Law and Order is with all the detectives that played the lead roles in that long running show I thought the one that was the least believable detective was Dennis Farina. Go figure.

Good observation, Seaslug.....and you are a good peacemaker.

Since we are weighing in:
Crime 360* and The first 48 were amazing...they too were real officers and police at the real crime scenes.

In the gb4 and ac4 cases I'm curious about any similarities in the ligature material or the knot or method. That would be an excellent clue. Does anyone have info? I think one victim in each group still had evidence of strangulation. KR & AC?

In the gb4 and ac4 cases I'm curious about any similarities in the ligature material or the knot or method. That would be an excellent clue. Does anyone have info? I think one victim in each group still had evidence of strangulation. KR & AC?

I think that it was one of the AC victims. I don't recall what type of ligature was found, but I believe that it was still around her neck.

Wasn't cloth fibers or something like that found in the upper breath ways of one victim? I don't remember and have to look it up unless someone knows who it was and can help out. But if so, it would indicate suffocation, not strangulation. So, worth to look into that?

I am too tired to do much digging tonight, but I came across these in my notes:

http://www.examiner.com/city-hall-i...s-a-new-lead-a-solid-connection#ixzz1PlHr1o7a

The similarities between the cause of death, strangulation, and the number of victims laid out in a graveyard style senario, has not been lost on investigators who are not even sure if they have found all the murder victims to date on Long Island.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/19/national/main3520577.shtml#ixzz1PlEPhGet

Raffo's body was the first to be identified. An autopsy determined she had been strangled with a rope or cord and had been in the ditch for a couple of days.

I am too tired to do much digging tonight, but I came across these in my notes:

http://www.examiner.com/city-hall-i...s-a-new-lead-a-solid-connection#ixzz1PlHr1o7a

The similarities between the cause of death, strangulation, and the number of victims laid out in a graveyard style senario, has not been lost on investigators who are not even sure if they have found all the murder victims to date on Long Island.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/19/national/main3520577.shtml#ixzz1PlEPhGet

Raffo's body was the first to be identified. An autopsy determined she had been strangled with a rope or cord and had been in the ditch for a couple of days.

AC murders (Fox)
AC murders (NBC)

Basically, the situation appears to be still the same:

Raffo: Strangulation (but then, this is what about 3/4 of all prostitute killing SKs do to their victims)
Roberts: Asphyxiation, but they couldn't determine how (which most likely wasn't strangulation or ligature strangulation because a broken hyoid bone would be a clear mark)
Breidor: undetermined (so, obviously no broken hyoid bone)
Dilts: Undetermined (and another victim without broken or damaged hyoid bone).

So, in three out of four cases, the biggest and safest hallmark of strangulation is missing.

Another only partially related question, but: Police suspected, he would cater drugs to them to subsue them the easy way because they found alcohol in the one victim's blood (who had the alcohol problem), heroin in another victim's blood (who was the heroin addict) and crack in the the crack addict's blood. I have to find the old articles again to get the details right. But aside of all connection and difference, doesn't it appear a bit weird, that this killer should have all the spectrum at hand to grab always the right stuff for the right victim?

I've noticed an "asian" connection in SG/GB4/AC case. We have Michael Pak, The Transvestite and I recently discovered Kim Raffo and Pam Covelli had dates with Asian men on the night she disappeared.

Covelli said she last saw Raffo at the Golden Key on Friday, Nov. 17. Both she and Raffo had "dates" that night with Asian men, Covelli said. She said that she had planned to meet up with Raffo later at a nearby bar and restaurant, but that she never saw the woman again.

http://articles.philly.com/2007-02-18/news/25238976_1_vice-squad-bodies-police-officer/3

This asian connection is not meant to be racial profiling but more looking for a connection to international sex trade ala internationalsexguide, SY, Pak's possible involvement in international human trafficking etc etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back