Post sentencing discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now THAT'S interesting.

Not difficult at all. I’m working at a more down-to-earth end of the glittering/glamorous fashion industry, i.e. more technically part like trying to make the garments fit to various body shapes (kind of mission impossible, but still give it a try ). Most of manufacturing taking place in Asia and I enjoy talking to these people and learn from them. Love to go and meet people there. Different cultures always inspiring, isn’t it ?

P.S. Made me very humble for what I got living in Europe .. .

Great news about the application to appeal. Go, Nel!

Is it a snub to Masipa that NPA are going straight to the Supreme Court? Sounds like it to me.

What form will the appeal take? Five judges pouring over Masipa's verdict only? What are the options open to them? Can they overturn the CH verdict, or do they simply rule that the case must go for trial? (Isn't that what happens in the UK?)
Martin Hood said they were going to appeal both the verdict and the sentence, and perhaps appeal the factual findings, too. I imagine it will be the new judges who decide on all those factors, but I'm not sure. As for a retrial, I thought there couldn't be one, but...

Professor James Grant, from Wits Law School, said Pistorius could face a retrial.

"The State is allowed in exceptional circumstances to appeal when the court makes a mistake of law"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...295/Could-Oscar-Pistorius-face-a-retrial.html

Aww thank you, Col. Mustard... I do declare.

Diet Mountain Dew ?? That's no way to celebrate anywhere in the world! lol

Did you, per chance, find the mint julep you were sipping on the prev page too strong for your taste ,too? :floorlaugh:

Haaaaaa!!:toastred:

Martin Hood said they were going to appeal both the verdict and the sentence, and perhaps appeal the factual findings, too. I imagine it will be the new judges who decide on all those factors, but I'm not sure. As for a retrial, I thought there couldn't be one, but...

Professor James Grant, from Wits Law School, said Pistorius could face a retrial.

"The State is allowed in exceptional circumstances to appeal when the court makes a mistake of law"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...295/Could-Oscar-Pistorius-face-a-retrial.html

WOW! WOW! WOW! The full Monty!

Not difficult at all. I’m working at a more down-to-earth end of the glittering/glamorous fashion industry, i.e. more technically part like trying to make the garments fit to various body shapes (kind of mission impossible, but still give it a try ). Most of manufacturing taking place in Asia and I enjoy talking to these people and learn from them. Love to go and meet people there. Different cultures always inspiring, isn’t it ?

P.S. Made me very humble for what I got living in Europe .. .

It's fascinating when we get a peek into what poster's on here do - when they're not on here!
I spent a month in Beijing a year ago, staying with Chinese friends, and it blew my mind. It was SO different and I, like you, felt humbled.

Thank you for such a detailed reply.

P.S Unfortunately, "me and my pc" for some reason are unable to access the new method you're using to display your timelines and witness statements, but you're not to worry about that...

When I click the link Mr Fossil provided...I get a page that has a link..if you click that link..you will get to his screen that has the timelines and witness statements..

Hope that works for you..

No idea, but it's nice that she dressed in her best clothes for him. :cat:

I read somewhere she was just a fan/supporter . . but nevertheless I find that picture awkward too . . .

Off now . .:eek:fftobed:

Carl Pistorius @carlpistorius · 8 Sek. Vor 8 Sekunden

1/3 As far as I'm aware the NPA can only appeal the legal rationale applied in determining judgement, they can't appeal on grounds sentence.
0 Antworten 0 Retweets 0 Favoriten

Carl.

Do us all a favour mate and don't patronise us thank you very much.

It is 'evidently' clear that your brother 'murdered' Reeva.
The ear witnesses were not lying about what they heard.
Photo 55 shows quite clearly that your brothers version is quite frankly a 'crock of sXXZ' and a total lie.
Half the world can see this....................he murdered her mate quite simple.
Someone heard an argument/raised voices just before he blew her brains out ffs.

You know it...........Aimee knows it.............Unc Arnold knows it and so does the Defence team who have blagged their way through this farce from day one.
Disgraceful from the lot of you.

So please stop insulting our intelligence with your silly meaningless tweets TIA.

Your brother is a murderer...............live with it.....................Reeva can't !

What with the mint juleps, chardonnay and Mountain Dew - I don't want to spoil the party but here's Stephen Grootes, journalist in today's Daily Maverick :

"But of course, this does all mean that we have to live through another round of the Oscar Circus.

Well, it will be very different. Mainly because there is no witness testimony in the Supreme Court of Appeal (technically, it could be possible for this appeal to be heard by a full bench of the North Gauteng High Court i.e. three high court judges, but it is probably going to go directly to the SCA). This means there will be dry, oral argument. Lots of people (mainly men) in robes, uttering a lot more Latin than we’ve heard already. There will be no breaking down in the witness box, no cross-examination by Gerrie Nel, no putting it to you by Barry Roux..."

Instead, there will be proper discussion about the law. With five judges (probably: it could be three, but with this profile, bank on five) asking questions of the lawyers. Only the law will matter - not the emotion, or the juvenilia of Mikey Shultz saying rude things to Aimee Pistorius.
There is another welcome aspect to this. The SCA is one of the examples of our legal system at its best, because the emotion is stripped away. Some of our biggest judicial personalities are there ...The sight of these judges, or any of their colleagues, being broadcast around the world would be one of the best adverts we could produce for our country. ....

...And then to the question that all media people will ask immediately: will it be televised? Will the judges give permission? While it’s a little too early to give a definitive answer, it is probably going to be yes."

As Mr Grootes says himself " Bring it on!"

I think I'll join you with a G&T Ladies !!

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2014-10-27-the-pistorius-appeal-bring-it-on/#.VE64ds1PiPU

Published on Oct 21, 2014
Oscar Pistorius's uncle, Arnold, says the sprinter's family accepts the court's judgement, after the athlete was sentenced to five years in a South African jail for the culpable homicide of his girlfriend.

Oscar Pistorius's uncle on Tuesday said the sprinter's family accepted the court's judgement, after "The Blade Runner" was sentenced to five years in a South African jail for the culpable homicide of his girlfriend.

"The court has now handed down judgement and sentence, and we accept the judgement," said Arnold Pistorius in a statement outside court. "Oscar will embrace this opportunity to pay back to society."

"This has been an incredibly hard and painful process for everyone involved, the Steenkamp family, our family and Oscar," he said.

"We are all emotionally drained," he said. "The case that was set down for three weeks originally has been dragged out for seven months."

He criticised the state for trying to find the 27-year-old guilty of premeditated murder and the "collateral damage" caused by that persistence.

"One of the most distressful parts for me of this whole trial, was how the truth became totally irrelevant for the state's attempt to make the premeditated murder stick."

A day after Pistorius's brother and sister launched a media blitz to affirm Oscar Pistorius's innocence, Arnold Pistorius called for privacy.

"I appeal to all of you as the media, to accept the ruling of the court, after 20 months of relentless public trial, I would ask ladies and gentleman of the media to let us move forward in this process."

He added that "as an uncle, I hope Oscar will start his own healing process as he walks down the path of restoration. As a family, we are ready to support and guide Oscar as he serves his sentence."

http://youtu.be/m7NyohKOOFw

==============
(My bold, above.)

Uncle Arthur, you'd better buck up.

The truth will set YOU free and, in case you didn't notice, the NPA has just pulled the plug on your emotional drain. :bath:

What with the mint juleps, chardonnay and Mountain Dew - I don't want to spoil the party but here's Stephen Grootes, journalist in today's Daily Maverick :

"But of course, this does all mean that we have to live through another round of the Oscar Circus.

Well, it will be very different. Mainly because there is no witness testimony in the Supreme Court of Appeal (technically, it could be possible for this appeal to be heard by a full bench of the North Gauteng High Court i.e. three high court judges, but it is probably going to go directly to the SCA). This means there will be dry, oral argument. Lots of people (mainly men) in robes, uttering a lot more Latin than we’ve heard already. There will be no breaking down in the witness box, no cross-examination by Gerrie Nel, no putting it to you by Barry Roux..."

Instead, there will be proper discussion about the law. With five judges (probably: it could be three, but with this profile, bank on five) asking questions of the lawyers. Only the law will matter - not the emotion, or the juvenilia of Mikey Shultz saying rude things to Aimee Pistorius.
There is another welcome aspect to this. The SCA is one of the examples of our legal system at its best, because the emotion is stripped away. Some of our biggest judicial personalities are there ...The sight of these judges, or any of their colleagues, being broadcast around the world would be one of the best adverts we could produce for our country. ....

...And then to the question that all media people will ask immediately: will it be televised? Will the judges give permission? While it’s a little too early to give a definitive answer, it is probably going to be yes."

As Mr Grootes says himself " Bring it on!"

I think I'll join you with a G&T Ladies !!

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2014-10-27-the-pistorius-appeal-bring-it-on/#.VE64ds1PiPU

LOVE this!

I DO hope it's televised and... if I was the Empress of the Universe, I WOULD have it televised. That would go a long way to try to preserve SA's judicial reputation. :justice:

NPA appeal...

44Allan!

Video back on!!!

YYYYAAAAAAAAAYY

Miss/Mrs Colonel lol.................I'm with you all the way :).

Forgive me for this though please..................I'm really feeling sorry for him tonight I really am:(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay