Psychologists Dr. Jeffery Danziger; Dr. Alan Berns; Dr. William Weitz; Dr. Harry Kro

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Regarding the "no attachments". I interpret that to mean either....the motion referenced attachments yet none were included in the copy filed, or that they were noting no attachments for clarity.

When looking at Dr. Alan S. Berns.....this article comes up as one to read on his MD review page.

http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-reports/dr-alan-berns-md-028da8f5

The Marijuana Schizophrenia Link
http://healthgrades.mm-health.com/schizophrenia/the-marijuana-schizophrenia-link

I had made an observation a while back about the possible argument that KC's pot smoking was going to be offered as an explanation of "something". I even noted that Barry Logan was researching marijuana use and psychotic episodes. At that same time a HUGE story was done in Orlando regarding K2 a synthetic cannabinoid.

http://www.nmslabs.com/Video-Synthetic_Marijuana

Here is where I brought up the topic in 2010.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5647757&postcount=200"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5647757&postcount=200[/ame]

Now I am thinking that the entire probable cause diatribe today, with case citations referencing drug dogs and jurisdictional differences, may make more sense.

When looking at Dr. Alan S. Berns.....this article comes up as one to read on his MD review page.

http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-reports/dr-alan-berns-md-028da8f5

The Marijuana Schizophrenia Link
http://healthgrades.mm-health.com/schizophrenia/the-marijuana-schizophrenia-link

I had made an observation a while back about the possible argument that KC's pot smoking was going to be offered as an explanation of "something". I even noted that Barry Logan was researching marijuana use and psychotic episodes. At that same time a HUGE story was done in Orlando regarding K2 a synthetic cannabinoid.

http://www.nmslabs.com/Video-Synthetic_Marijuana[/U

Here is where I brought up the topic in 2010.
[url="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5647757&postcount=200"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5647757&postcount=200

Now I am thinking that the entire probable cause diatribe today, with case citations referencing drug dogs and jurisdictional differences, may make more sense.

Wow. I HOPE they try blaming it on pot. They will get laughed out of the court room. Growing up in Berkeley California in the 60's, I have known many many people who smoked pot every day of their lives. NONE of them killed their kids nor ignored a child that went missing.

I always wondered about that scenario Tony testified to, where he said he woke in the middle of the night and ICA was looking at the video of Caylee on Father's Day, and he thought she was sobbing. That is what I recall. What if she wasn't sobbing. Wouldn't it be more logical that she was chuckling, gloating about having eliminated the little "snothead".
ICA doesn’t demonstrate any regrets regarding Caylee. On the other hand, she appears to be smugly satisfied that she had the last word in her final fight with CA. ICA took away CA’s sunshine, forever. ICA struts into the courtroom, knowing that the camera is on her.
Possible scenario: The jury, carefully observing ICA for the first time as she struts happily into the courtroom, might find it hard to believe that this young nice-looking woman with her hair down to her butt is anything but an innocent college student. But, no buts about it, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this here is the main attraction of the circus, folks. This living-breathing human you see before you is a cold-blooded unremorseful killer. Her beautiful daughter Caylee is no longer living and breathing. Her mother intentionally placed duct tape over helpless little Caylee's nose and mouth, intentionally stuck her in trash bags and intentionally disposed of her like garbage. Intent is the key word.

Have you watched the Rob Dick interview from this morning's In Sessions?
He illustrates just how totally unconcerned ICA was throughout the time they were there..
http://www.myspace.com/565006329/videos/video/107698411
Listen all the way to the end of the tape, there are some comments about CA from the person who posted this on You tube..

I always wondered about that scenario Tony testified to, where he said he woke in the middle of the night and ICA was looking at the video of Caylee on Father's Day, and he thought she was sobbing. That is what I recall. What if she wasn't sobbing. Wouldn't it be more logical that she was chuckling, gloating about having eliminated the little "snothead".
ICA doesn’t demonstrate any regrets regarding Caylee. On the other hand, she appears to be smugly satisfied that she had the last word in her final fight with CA. ICA took away CA’s sunshine, forever. ICA struts into the courtroom, knowing that the camera is on her.
Possible scenario: The jury, carefully observing ICA for the first time as she struts happily into the courtroom, might find it hard to believe that this young nice-looking woman with her hair down to her butt is anything but an innocent college student. But, no buts about it, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this here is the main attraction of the circus, folks. This living-breathing human you see before you is a cold-blooded unremorseful killer. Her beautiful daughter Caylee is no longer living and breathing. Her mother intentionally placed duct tape over helpless little Caylee's nose and mouth, intentionally stuck her in trash bags and intentionally disposed of her like garbage. Intent is the key word.

BBM. I agree with what an earlier poster said, she was more likely crying for herself, having had nightmares, and played the video trying to see Caylee as a whole person again, not a decomposing lifeless body. JMHO. I'm sure she thought if she watched it enough times that would be the pic in her head, not the last time she saw her IRL.

So I have copied out some information from the Florida College of Advanced Judicial Studies re conducting the penalty phase of a capital case because I believed this was where the defense was heading for the mitigation phase. It looks like we could have some interesting discussions about it this week.

I can see all kinds of things they try to introduce here - however it may turn out to be a book when posted - then mods please go ahead and delete.

(Quote:
6.8.3 – Extreme mental or Emotional Disturbance

The capital felony was committed while the defendant was under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance

This mitigating circumstance does not require the establishment of insanity, or lack of legal responsibility. It can be argued to the jury and the Court, with or without expert testimony, if the facts of the defendant’s behavior show his mental condition contributed to his criminal behavior. For example, the fact the defendant was intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics can support establishment of this factor.
When experts testify as to this mitigating factor and their opinions conflict with the jury, and ultimately the sentencing judge, must reconcile these conflicts. If, after considering the conflicting testimony, the trial judge determines this mitigating factor does not exist, that finding will generally not be disturbed on appeal. If the testimony is not in conflict, it may be error for the trial judge not to find this mitigating factor. However, in more recent opinion, the Supreme Court of Florida held, “Even uncontroverted opinion testimony can be rejected, especially when it is hard to reconcile with other evidence presented in the case. But there must be “other evidence” in the case to make the reconciliation “hard”. In “Crook vs. State” the uncontroverted evidence established the defendant had a well-documented head injury at the age of five when he was hit on the head with a pipe. After that time, he exhibited signs of neurological damage because he switched from being right handed to being left handed and was found not to be tracking visually. Testimony established that the defendant had frontal lobe damage that caused “difficulty in controlling his behavior and was prone to impulsive and aggressive behavior including rage.” One expert opined that the defendant’s brain was “broken”. The trial court rejected the brain-damage testimony. The Court disagreed stating, “Whenever a reasonable quantum of competent, uncontroverted evidence has been presented, the trial court must find that the mitigation has been proved. All “believable and uncontroverted mitigating evidence contained in the record must reject proffered mitigation if the record provides competent substantial evidence to support the trial court’s decision. The court considers “brain damage” to be a “significant mitigating factor”.

In the Crook case, the defendant was also borderline mentally retarded. The decision in Crook predated the United States Supreme Court’s decision finding it unconstitutional to execute a mentally retarded defendant. It also predated the recently enacted Florida Statute that deals with the subject. However, since Crook’s I.Q. was around 70, he might not have met the requirements under the Florida’s statute. Interestingly, a Social Security evaluation established Crook was incapable of maintaining employment within a competitive work setting due to his severe cognitive, emotional and behavioral defects. The trial court erred in failing to consider Crook’s mental retardation.

Crook’s case was remanded for a new sentencing hearing and Crook was again sentenced to death. The Supreme Court remanded the case to the trial court for the imposition of a life sentence with out the possibility of parole because, in spite of strong aggravation – murder committed in the course of a sexual battery, pecuniary gain and HAC- it was accompanied by extreme mitigation including frontal lobe damage, diminished control over inhibitions, disadvantaged and abusive home life, substance abuse that aggravated mental deficiencies and age of 20 at the time of the killing.

The weight to be given this circumstance is up to the jury and the sentencing judge. :Quote)

Thank you!
I find these terms from this article, to be important, regarding any expert testimony on Casey's alleged mental health "conditions":
"well-documented head injury..."
"believable and uncontroverted mitigating evidence..."
"competent substantial evidence ...."

I don't see how any psychologist can come up with a well-documented history of any type of mental/psychological condition that Casey suffered prior to her daughter's murder. I doubt she has ever been diagnosed with anything.
The evidence will have to be "believable" and "uncontroverted" and "competent" and "substantial". A doctor cannot just get on the witness stand and say that Casey told him she suffers from any mental/psychological condition.

Thank you!
I find these terms from this article, to be important, regarding any expert testimony on Casey's alleged mental health "conditions":
"well-documented head injury..."
"believable and uncontroverted mitigating evidence..."
"competent substantial evidence ...."

I don't see how any psychologist can come up with a well-documented history of any type of mental/psychological condition that Casey suffered prior to her daughter's murder. I doubt she has ever been diagnosed with anything.
The evidence will have to be "believable" and "uncontroverted" and "competent" and "substantial". A doctor cannot just get on the witness stand and say that Casey told him she suffers from any mental/psychological condition.

Agree but not sure what Finnell has found in Iowa.

Also, that particular case is just an example - I think there are a lot of things the DT could try to present under the same section, including PTSD, and note that this defense can be presented with or without expert testimony.

I was wondering if this is the way they hope to get around "diminished capacity" at least in the penalty phase.

So I have copied out some information from the Florida College of Advanced Judicial Studies re conducting the penalty phase of a capital case because I believed this was where the defense was heading for the mitigation phase. It looks like we could have some interesting discussions about it this week.

I can see all kinds of things they try to introduce here - however it may turn out to be a book when posted - then mods please go ahead and delete.

(Quote:
6.8.3 – Extreme mental or Emotional Disturbance

The capital felony was committed while the defendant was under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance

This mitigating circumstance does not require the establishment of insanity, or lack of legal responsibility. It can be argued to the jury and the Court, with or without expert testimony, if the facts of the defendant’s behavior show his mental condition contributed to his criminal behavior. For example, the fact the defendant was intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics can support establishment of this factor.
When experts testify as to this mitigating factor and their opinions conflict with the jury, and ultimately the sentencing judge, must reconcile these conflicts. If, after considering the conflicting testimony, the trial judge determines this mitigating factor does not exist, that finding will generally not be disturbed on appeal. If the testimony is not in conflict, it may be error for the trial judge not to find this mitigating factor. However, in more recent opinion, the Supreme Court of Florida held, “Even uncontroverted opinion testimony can be rejected, especially when it is hard to reconcile with other evidence presented in the case. But there must be “other evidence” in the case to make the reconciliation “hard”. In “Crook vs. State” the uncontroverted evidence established the defendant had a well-documented head injury at the age of five when he was hit on the head with a pipe. After that time, he exhibited signs of neurological damage because he switched from being right handed to being left handed and was found not to be tracking visually. Testimony established that the defendant had frontal lobe damage that caused “difficulty in controlling his behavior and was prone to impulsive and aggressive behavior including rage.” One expert opined that the defendant’s brain was “broken”. The trial court rejected the brain-damage testimony. The Court disagreed stating, “Whenever a reasonable quantum of competent, uncontroverted evidence has been presented, the trial court must find that the mitigation has been proved. All “believable and uncontroverted mitigating evidence contained in the record must reject proffered mitigation if the record provides competent substantial evidence to support the trial court’s decision. The court considers “brain damage” to be a “significant mitigating factor”.

In the Crook case, the defendant was also borderline mentally retarded. The decision in Crook predated the United States Supreme Court’s decision finding it unconstitutional to execute a mentally retarded defendant. It also predated the recently enacted Florida Statute that deals with the subject. However, since Crook’s I.Q. was around 70, he might not have met the requirements under the Florida’s statute. Interestingly, a Social Security evaluation established Crook was incapable of maintaining employment within a competitive work setting due to his severe cognitive, emotional and behavioral defects. The trial court erred in failing to consider Crook’s mental retardation.

Crook’s case was remanded for a new sentencing hearing and Crook was again sentenced to death. The Supreme Court remanded the case to the trial court for the imposition of a life sentence with out the possibility of parole because, in spite of strong aggravation – murder committed in the course of a sexual battery, pecuniary gain and HAC- it was accompanied by extreme mitigation including frontal lobe damage, diminished control over inhibitions, disadvantaged and abusive home life, substance abuse that aggravated mental deficiencies and age of 20 at the time of the killing.

The weight to be given this circumstance is up to the jury and the sentencing judge. :Quote)

It is the things I bolded that I wonder if Ann Finnell or Baez can slide things under.

I have never met or examined ICA, but there is only one diagnosis that IMO would explain her behavior during the 31 days and after. And using it to explain her behavior would not be helpful to her. IMO, she did not demonstrate PTSD behavior. I think the defense is looking at anything at all to explain the behavior, not to try for diminished capacity, but to make the not reporting and dancing explainable. PTSD is an anxiety disorder in which people reexperience the trauma. There is one other disorder that they might try, but it wouldn't fly either, IMO.

The original psych exams will be available to the S.A., right? So if it differs from what the doctor NOW reports, won't that cancel out that new information?

ICA would have to testify for only SHE can state what her state of mind was...coming from psychs can only explain things medically...for this to be effective for the defense, ICA must take the stand...but will she??? It would be suicide for the State will tear her to shreds...

I must admit, I am anxious to hear their input....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

The original psych exams will be available to the S.A., right? So if it differs from what the doctor NOW reports, won't that cancel out that new information?

Not necessarily. Clinicians can differ on diagnosis - the important thing is to support (give reasons) the client should be diagnosed with a particular disorder.
I don't think we will see any of the reports because they are confidential, even with the Sunshine Law (HPPA).

I think the previous evaluations have probably (IMO) presented a diagnosis of Antisocial Personality Disorder. No remorse, no conscience. But charming :great:

ICA would have to testify for only SHE can state what her state of mind was...coming from psychs can only explain things medically...for this to be effective for the defense, ICA must take the stand...but will she??? It would be suicide for the State will tear her to shreds...

Justice for Caylee

i was nearly giddy at the thought, had to text hubby at work last night cause i was so thrilled at the prospect.

Justice for Caylee

LiveLaughLuv - did you hear Schaeffer's recap yesterday? He said something that surprised me. He said having an expert like a psychologist testify is much better than having the defendant herself testify because it makes it legitimate more so than if she testified herself. Much more believable.

He also said when, not if the SA's experts examine ICA, we may see the Defense withdraw the experts. He said it is a hugely dangerous thing to have the SA's experts talk to her because the DT cannot be there, or the DT's experts, ICA will be there by herself. And it is very possible she will say some things that are very damaging to her own defense.

And if we see the DT withdraw the experts next Friday, it will be our signal that ICA has told the SA's experts something that is very damaging to her defense and the DT, so they may end up not using them at all in the guilt phase.

Interesting, no?

I haven't gotten all the way through this thread yet, so please excuse me if I am repeating a post.

What I want know is how the DT can prove the cause of the PTS? If it is indeed proven that she suffered from PTS, it could have been a result her actually committing the murder!

I think it would be increadibly easy for LDB to get up in response and suggest to a jury that the PTS was KC's reaction to actually having killed someone!

Of course, anything that KC discusses with the psych specialists is, well, bogus because she is a pathalogical lier.

In addition, how can any psych exams be valid after such a long isolation in custody. How can any analysis NOW be relevant for June 2008?

I haven't gotten all the way through this thread yet, so please excuse me if I am repeating a post.

What I want know is how the DT can prove the cause of the PTS? If it is indeed proven that she suffered from PTS, it could have been a result her actually committing the murder!

I think it would be increadibly easy for LDB to get up in response and suggest to a jury that the PTS was KC's reaction to actually having killed someone!

Of course, anything that KC discusses with the psych specialists is, well, bogus because she is a pathalogical lier.

In addition, how can any psych exams be valid after such a long isolation in custody. How can any analysis NOW be relevant for June 2008?

I love the whole issue of psych specialists because it is (now I don't want to be offending anyone here) such an area of speculation.

Again my apologies because this isn't personal, but what does the average person think about shrinks? And line up six specialists in the same field, and chances are none of them will have the same opinion, for sure, positively, absolutely.

I have heard such complete rubbish from this profession that I take everything they say with a very big dose of salt. So for me, whatever the DT's experts can say can easily be counteracted by the SA's professional. And remember, whatever the experts for the DT say, must be supported by the majority of the evidence, or it can be disregarded or "given no weight."

I have no worries about this part of the hearings or trial at all.

For purposes of diagnosing, it does not need to be proven. Based on the client's perception since everyone reacts differently and what may be traumatic for you is not for me. I do not think we will ever know exactly what is in the reports (psyc evals are so highly confidential), we will just hearing from the clinician (whoever takes the stand) that she behaved in a certain way because of ____. And I do not think she will take the stand - she may want to feeling that, if just given a chance, she can explain every thing :sick::sick::sick:!
But I think someone on the DT will perform a grownup act of saying NO to that. It would be the end for her if she did take the stand. MOO

I love the whole issue of psych specialists because it is (now I don't want to be offending anyone here) such an area of speculation.

Again my apologies because this isn't personal, but what does the average person think about shrinks? And line up six specialists in the same field, and chances are none of them will have the same opinion, for sure, positively, absolutely.

I have heard such complete rubbish from this profession that I take everything they say with a very big dose of salt. So for me, whatever the DT's experts can say can easily be counteracted by the SA's professional. And remember, whatever the experts for the DT say, must be supported by the majority of the evidence, or it can be disregarded or "given no weight."

I have no worries about this part of the hearings or trial at all.

There are also those "for hire" who will give the defense whatever they want.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macogle
Back