**Q&A ONLY** Ask the MODERATORS your Forum Questions **NO DISCUSSION**

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A "verified insider" is an individual with first hand knowledge of the facts -- or some portion of the facts -- in a case. A VI can be a family member, friend, classmate, employer, private investigator, or anyone else acquainted with a victim, suspect, or a close family member. Being "verified" means that an admin or owner has confirmed the member's identity and relationship to a case. (Not everyone who claims to be an insider makes it through the verification process.)

As a VI, one is allowed to post without providing MSM links to back up "facts". How much weight to give the information is up to you. Use your best judgment, and give it as much weight as you deem it's worth.

Hi, can someone tell me what time zone the sites set at? Im in the UK and following a few threads but finding it tough to figure out!

Under user settings you will find an option to set the time zone to match your own.

At the top of any page, on the right, click "Settings". When the new page opens, look for "General Settings" in the column on the left. On the GS page scroll down until you see "Date and Time Options".

Hello Mods,

I'm unable to search at all on the forums. I can't use the search box top right, or the Search facility in Thread Tools. I get a message telling me:

"DanceCard, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

"

I'm not sure if this is because I'm still relatively new to the boards and search will be functional for me at some point down the line, ie based on amount of posts ?, or if this is an error. There are a couple of historical cases I'm interested in that I'm unable to find .

Hi DanceCard. Welcome to WS :welcome:

You do have to have a certain number of posts (at this time 20 seems to be the magic number) to access all usual WS features. To get your count up quickly, you might want to participate in the Game Room.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?44-Game-Room

I find that using the search function in this latest big forum software upgrade is almost impossible. At least I think that's when it happened.

When searching for all or recent posts by an individual, for example, either I get no results at all, or I get something having to do with messages they have sent someone (which doesn't interest me at all). It happens regardless of whether I check the little boxes or not. Its basically worthless, and it used to function really well a year ago.

This probably more a question for the tech guy.

I find that using the search function in this latest big forum software upgrade is almost impossible. At least I think that's when it happened.

When searching for all or recent posts by an individual, for example, either I get no results at all, or I get something having to do with messages they have sent someone (which doesn't interest me at all). It happens regardless of whether I check the little boxes or not. Its basically worthless, and it used to function really well a year ago.

I'm alerting for the tech guy re. your search function question.

That said, if you happen to see a post by a member and you'd like to review their recent or all posts, you can click on their name and you'll see an option to "view forum posts". HTH

Which method are you using to search?

Which method are you using to search?
Well, I have used both methods. Clicking on a poster name at their post does work. And I have sometimes resorted to that but it doesn't work for every situation.

Its the actual 'search function' especially using the Advanced Search option that sucks. It used to work really well.
And, if I know a poster hat, or nick, or name but I don't know where or when they posted it is necessary to use the Advanced Search. If I know an approximate name, the Advanced Search function helps to narrow it down to an exact name. That part works pretty well. Its also useful for keywords, etc. What doesn't work is getting results beyond that, especially when seeking posts by an individual.

When catching up on a thread, does the savey sleuth start with the most recent post and work backwards, or pick up where he or she left off last time and work forward? I've been reading most-recent-to-least, figuring that things would be clearer in retrospect. But I'm starting to wonder whether that doesn't make posts harder to process and absorb. What does experience teach?

Thanks, Forager

When catching up on a thread, does the savey sleuth start with the most recent post and work backwards, or pick up where he or she left off last time and work forward? I've been reading most-recent-to-least, figuring that things would be clearer in retrospect. But I'm starting to wonder whether that doesn't make posts harder to process and absorb. What does experience teach?

Thanks, Forager

It really depends on the thread content on how quick a thread moves. I usually thank each post as I read it to mark my spot because my time to come to WS has been limited since January. I had started following VA Noah Thomas; it moves way too fast for me; there is no way I can read hundreds of posts to catch up; so I will scan the last page to get an idea of what's going on.

Well, I have used both methods. Clicking on a poster name at their post does work. And I have sometimes resorted to that but it doesn't work for every situation.

Its the actual 'search function' especially using the Advanced Search option that sucks. It used to work really well.
And, if I know a poster hat, or nick, or name but I don't know where or when they posted it is necessary to use the Advanced Search. If I know an approximate name, the Advanced Search function helps to narrow it down to an exact name. That part works pretty well. Its also useful for keywords, etc. What doesn't work is getting results beyond that, especially when seeking posts by an individual.
I tried the Advanced Search just now using your user name just as an example. It pulled up your last 1,000 posts.

You might already have tried this, but just in case, this is how it worked for me.

I used "Search Single Type Content", and typed in your user name. Then I scrolled down to the bottom of the page to "Display Results As", and selected "posts". There are also additional options to filter by specific forums, prefixes and dates.

Don't use "Search Multiple Content Types", because that will only list the threads where the user's posts occur. Although, if you are looking for a post older than the most recent 1,000, that might be the way to go. The date filter would help you in that case, too, especially if you're looking for a post from over a year ago. Then from the thread results, you'd have to pick a particular thread and do a user name search within the thread.

Another option is to find the "Community" tab at the top of each page, select "Member List", and do a search for the user name. Then click the user's name to go to his/her profile. On the profile page, select "find latest posts". It will return the most recent 1,000 posts.

Thanks, Forager

Hey Forager :)

I always start from where I left off. Unless I'm looking to get into a case I didn't take part in early on. Then I read the last page, to get the gist of where its's at, then go back to the first to understand it all, or try to :p

Would some one explain to me why the search function has changed? I can't find ANYTHING with it the way is. I even used Advanced and it still wouldn't take me to the deadly school bus crash in Kentucky, in 1958. I have threads that have had to be moved, because I CAN'T FIND what I am looking for. It was PERFECT before. :( I need to update a couple of threads, but I can't because I can't find them.

Does everyone have ads that appear to be embedded in their post? For example, as I am posting this, Tulessa's post contains an ad for stumpthemonkey.com. I swear. My posts constantly show an uber creepy guy who looks like Jabba the Hut which is an ad for a criminal records company. Is there any way for me to alter this? TIA.

Does everyone have ads that appear to be embedded in their post? For example, as I am posting this, Tulessa's post contains an ad for stumpthemonkey.com. I swear. My posts constantly show an uber creepy guy who looks like Jabba the Hut which is an ad for a criminal records company. Is there any way for me to alter this? TIA.

Hey believe :)

I addressed it yesterday in this post on another thread here in Forum Finesse.

FYI for all - Tricia made an announcement a couple of weeks ago about the ads. For those who may have missed it, she offered to personally address any questions or concerns by contacting her via email at websleuthscomments@gmail.com

Beach, thanks for trying to appease us..... we will moan and grumble, but hopefully we can adjust. (the dog-gone ad in the last post always appears to be IN our post --- can it be moved to BELOW the last post? Just wondering aloud...?)

I did find out that Dave the Tech Guy is posting regularly about changes and upkeep, and discovered how to get rid of the column of ads on my iPad .... in settings, go to the Skins and select WS Mobile.

my question for you, or whoever takes care of organizing the index page..... can all those posts by Dave be out under a heading where we can subscribe to them? The way it is set up now, I can't figure out how to subscribe so I can keep easy tabs on his posts. If possible, thank you!

Hey believe :)

I addressed it yesterday in this post on another thread here in Forum Finesse.

FYI for all - Tricia made an announcement a couple of weeks ago about the ads. For those who may have missed it, she offered to personally address any questions or concerns by contacting her via email at websleuthscomments@gmail.com

TY bessie!! So sorry to have been redundant.

Beach, thanks for trying to appease us..... we will moan and grumble, but hopefully we can adjust. (the dog-gone ad in the last post always appears to be IN our post --- can it be moved to BELOW the last post? Just wondering aloud...?)

I did find out that Dave the Tech Guy is posting regularly about changes and upkeep, and discovered how to get rid of the column of ads on my iPad .... in settings, go to the Skins and select WS Mobile.

my question for you, or whoever takes care of organizing the index page..... can all those posts by Dave be out under a heading where we can subscribe to them? The way it is set up now, I can't figure out how to subscribe so I can keep easy tabs on his posts. If possible, thank you!

I'll try to talk to Dave about this tonight, Spellbound. Thanks for your patience and understanding. :blowkiss:

btw, I love the brand new WS mobile skin! Thanks for mentioning it.

Yep .... I like it so far, too! And setting it on my iPad has eliminated the side column of ads on my PC, too!

Hi Beach! I wish you hadn't locked the thread on Forum Finesse regarding everything being on the left side of the page and no more arrow to get it to fill the whole page. How will you know how many of us this is affecting if the thread is closed. I have macular degeneration and set my computer to 250% in order to read here. The way it is now, I'm going to have to leave WS because it's just too hard to read like this. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper