**Q&A ONLY** Ask the MODERATORS your Forum Questions **NO DISCUSSION**

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the length of the 'subject' line atop posts be extended, perhaps back to its previous space-count? The lack of space leads to lessening of interest to the reader as conveyed by info in this header.

Perhaps memory fails me, but right now this is the biggest or perhaps the only significant problem I have with the latest form of Websleuths. (And I think it's a big one.)

Is there a way to keep the games forum from being included in the new posts list?

I'd ask the same about the Political Sandbox, but I think that the answer regarding the less offensive games forum settles this.

Could the length of the 'subject' line atop posts be extended, perhaps back to its previous space-count? The lack of space leads to lessening of interest to the reader as conveyed by info in this header.

Good question wfgodot, sorry I don't have an answer to that one. Wish I was more tech wise, lol. I did alert on your post so hopefully one of the Mods may know the answer to that one.

In positive news, the search feature seems to have been given a talking-to and now has sped up.

I'd ask the same about the Political Sandbox, but I think that the answer regarding the less offensive games forum settles this.
A temporary solution:
Copy this link and save it before you click it. This section of the following link - "getdaily&exclude=44" sets the search to get today's posts but exclude forum 44 which is games. You can add others, separate by comma. The url you see after you click it is the results only & expires after a time. And this only works with browsers, not TapaTalk.

Today's posts exluding games (last 24 hours):http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&exclude=44&contenttype=vBForum_Post

New posts excluding games (since last login): http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=44

Political Pavillion is forum #27 so 44 & 27 exluded would be these links:

Today's posts excluding games & PP (last 24 hours):http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&exclude=27,44&contenttype=vBForum_Post

New posts excluding games & PP (since last login): http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=27,44

Do note these links to save permanantly before you click them are not the same temporary links you see after you click them.

Back to normal now, i.e., Search took 29.83 seconds. How hard can a site search for "Judge Sweeney" be?

3 things to keep in mind

Vbulletin search function is the number 1 weakness in vb software, regardless of version.
11 million rows to be searched every time is fairly sizeable
Though I have not taken a look at the server setup and the various settings, I have little faith that they are optimal.

There is a rewrite of the search function for vb4, but I am not sure of the status of it since the writer was given spa days at a state run facility after scamming millions from ebay.

I do have faith though that sometime after the first of the year management will take steps to improve on this.

Just a tip for getting around any search problems, if I can't find a thread I go to google and type in the case name and WS. Example "joe bloggs, websleuths" Always brings it up straight away!

Let me take your suggestion 1 step further.

On my site http://www.ahfb2000.com, if you notice the search box is Google. It searches Google but only the pages that are indexed from ahfb.

Without a properly configured google search box here at WS, how can you narrow down the results to ONLY INCLUDE thise from WS? Simple, use the below query in google:

site:websleuths.com your search term

example: the previously mentioned search for "Judge Sweeney" would translate to

site:websleuths.com "Judge Sweeney"

Funny thing is I am the one that wrote the original vb mod for this on version 4, yet forgot all about it. It could be put in place here in less than a half hour, bonus is that it is monetized using google adsense.

Are you listening owners ;)

edited to add:
To the owners, Search is the most resource intensive part of VB. Meaning when people are using the VB search function, it is taking huge amounts of Ram, CPU and I/O from other functions such as browsing and posting. My objective when creating this mod was to free up those resources so that other processes would be lightning fast.

In most cases this could be the single most crucial change to improve the speed and give you more room on the server for growth. At WS I would not rank it as number 1 but still in the top 5. There are without a doubt other issues at play at WS.

Just a tip for getting around any search problems, if I can't find a thread I go to google and type in the case name and WS. Example "joe bloggs, websleuths" Always brings it up straight away!

That's what I've been doing, too. Glad I'm not the only one who finds it easier to just use Google.

I'm still fairly new to webslueths, but have already learned so much from the many AMAZING members here. Can someone point me in the direction to where I can find the thread (or link ? - I'm on my mobile device through tapatalk - not sure if that matters) where I can find all of the abbreviations for the webslueths lingo ... So I can know what the heck others are saying.... I know half the time I'm reading it completely wrong, & would have you all hysterically laughing if I shared what I originally thought some of the abbreviations were at first.... Ha!!!! Just wondering if there is a cheat sheet, of sorts, for newbies anywhere? Thank you in advance... Or TYIA... How do you like that?!?!!!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I go to my "Quick Links" and click on my Subscribed or Today's Posts I keep getting redirected to repeated popup ads. Is there anyway I can block this from happening? TIA!

Hi Mica,

Do you use a tablet/iPad? That could possibly be the reason your having pop ups. We don't have pop ups on our site and it does show that you are add free here so I'm not sure why you are having problems with pop ups. Maybe one of our members will have some tips on how to stop this. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hi Mica,

Do you use a tablet/iPad? That could possibly be the reason your having pop ups. We don't have pop ups on our site and it does show that you are add free here so I'm not sure why you are having problems with pop ups. Maybe one of our members will have some tips on how to stop this. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Actually, it only happens when I use my desktop. I'm not having the problem with the Ipad.

This happens only on my desktop PC: open WS, log in, go to a thread, type a response = "you do not have permission to perform this task". Ahem - I have to log in again and then it seems to stay OK .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member